1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 446718 times)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #2625 on: June 11, 2021, 12:51:58 AM »
The draw at Man City in Slav's last game does not support that?

I would suspect the relationship between Bilic and the board was over given that he was in fact sacked in the very immediate aftermath of said draw against Manchester City.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2626 on: June 11, 2021, 01:22:23 AM »
Just going to throw a name out there. After the latest failed manager search it seems Albion still like the cheap route.
I would not be surprised to hear Craig Shakespeare suddenly being mentioned.
Has ties to the Albion, has done reasonably well coaching and now sits waiting with bags packed at the Vile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Shakespeare#Coaching_career

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 01:26:45 AM by Nice1Cyrille »

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2627 on: June 11, 2021, 01:34:39 AM »
I was talking about names on the list not what was going on behind the scenes with SB and the board. If you carried on reading the rest of the post that would of gave it away. Nobody knows for definite what is going on right now the situation seems to be changing that much and that fast even local journalists are just about keeping up and that's only when the club decide to drip feed them things. I suspect the news of Lai over throwing Dowlings selection came out because either Dowling broke it to somebody such as Masi or he got one of his little mates in the media to do it. Final thing I'm going to say on Billic. I'm tired of his name popping up for whatever reason we were right to sack him we were to late in doing so there's no room for niceties in this game and we were to nice to him.

I agree with you Baggie38 that nobody knows exactly what goes on behind the scenes, I wasn't having a pop at you at all, just pointing out that some other posters on here like to give the impression they definitely do have a handle on the inside track with the club, making definitive statements about managerial and board relationships, which obviously isn't the case. Re your final comment about no room for niceties, you might mean sentiment? Anyway regardless, what we should be doing is being nice to West Bromwich Albion football club. In that context ask yourself if the manger merry-go-round bingo game is being nice to the club or has harmed our future.

festerp

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2628 on: June 11, 2021, 03:33:46 AM »
At this point lets hire Ted Lasso and believe.
“In my mind, you gotta have three things to be a Premier League team. 1) You gotta play physical. 2) you gotta give 100 percent until the final whistle and 3) you gotta be sponsored by a Middle-Eastern airline.”

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2629 on: June 11, 2021, 03:57:26 AM »
Wilder no go due to lai
Wagner used us to bargain for a deal elsewhere
Cooper too much money same with appleton.
Uncle roy doesnt fancy it.

Maybe enough bad candidate's rule themselves out we might accidentally appoint a good one? Our top candidates list has been nothing short of atrocious.

We might inadvertantly appoint Robins from coventry or critchley at Blackpool when all our preferred options have ruled themselves out.
O Albion we love you

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2630 on: June 11, 2021, 06:38:27 AM »
Honestly I find this all a bit embarrassing. From the moment they hired Big Sam, they knew this day would come. From what Big Sam is saying in the media he was never going to stay and the club knew all along.

Surely you’d have a plan b or c. This isn’t a surprise we’ve known for months wilder was available. Is it honestly the case nobody mentioned him to Lai before last week?

For the biggest rebuild job In years for Albion, this really hasn’t started well.

Massive wages off the books. Why are we in such a state that people are suggesting we’d have to sell harper before we could pay compensation.

Are things this bad?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2631 on: June 11, 2021, 07:44:18 AM »
Fingers crossed Rafa sees sense and rocks up for a meeting in McDonalds
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2632 on: June 11, 2021, 07:51:46 AM »

Only man for the job as far as I am concerned. Much better than the list of doom at the start of this thread!
MAGA!

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2633 on: June 11, 2021, 08:11:59 AM »
Just going to throw a name out there. After the latest failed manager search it seems Albion still like the cheap route.
I would not be surprised to hear Craig Shakespeare suddenly being mentioned.
Has ties to the Albion, has done reasonably well coaching and now sits waiting with bags packed at the Vile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Shakespeare#Coaching_career
Has ties to Villa as well as fan of them. Requires compensation as well.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2634 on: June 11, 2021, 08:13:16 AM »
Does anybody regret us getting rid of Bilic ??

I was against his sacking anyway. We were never going to survive last season.
If he was still here at least we would have some stability and be in a better position to have a good crack at promotion again next season.
As it is now with the manager contenders, mid table at best. Depending who the manager is it could even be a relegation fight.

Most definitely, he would have built something good, with correct support but academic now.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2635 on: June 11, 2021, 08:16:50 AM »
I'd rather listen to Madeley over BBC WM.
Percy is the only one worth following. I'll just wait for him to speak.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2636 on: June 11, 2021, 08:33:49 AM »
There needs to be a reality check here.

Whether we are prepared to pay compensation or not I don't think it's a question of us picking an employed coach from a championship club and offering him the job and expecting them to regard it as a too good to turn down opportunity. We have fired our last four coaches in less than two seasons. One when we were in the play-off positions and the other less than 6 months after he got us promoted.

Sorry if I were Mark Robins for instance on a decent contract and well regarded at Coventry then I am not falling over myself to take the job and that was before we made a very public botch of this manager search further undermining the board's credibility.

For it to be a no brainer for the coach then you are looking at League One coaches the opportunity to get promoted to the next level usually is too alluring, they tend to overlook even the very obvious flaws in their future employer e.g. Darren Moore to Sheffield Wednesday and Lee Bowyer to Blues.

In this context the best coaches employed in League one are Ryan Lowe Karl Robinson  Michael Appleton Danny Cowley and Paul Cook. The last two have only just joined their respective clubs Appleton signed a 4 year contract as recently as February so even here it isn't a case of whistle and they will come.

The available market is a much better option. The names I posted yesterday from even the limited overseas market are generally a cut above the ones we might attract otherwise and you absolutely won't get those out of a job to join us in the Championship were they in employment. They might hold out for better jobs but the clock is ticking as much for them as it is for us.   

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2637 on: June 11, 2021, 08:41:46 AM »
If as seems possible it comes down to a choice between two old boys in Appleton or McInnes who would you prefer( neither is not an option ) ?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2638 on: June 11, 2021, 08:44:37 AM »
If as seems possible it comes down to a choice between two old boys in Appleton or McInnes who would you prefer( neither is not an option ) ?

What an awful choice.

Appleton.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2639 on: June 11, 2021, 08:45:09 AM »
There needs to be a reality check here.

Whether we are prepared to pay compensation or not I don't think it's a question of us picking an employed coach from a championship club and offering him the job and expecting them to regard it as a too good to turn down opportunity. We have fired our last four coaches in less than two seasons. One when we were in the play-off positions and the other less than 6 months after he got us promoted.

Sorry if I were Mark Robins for instance on a decent contract and well regarded at Coventry then I am not falling over myself to take the job and that was before we made a very public botch of this manager search further undermining the board's credibility.

For it to be a no brainer for the coach then you are looking at League One coaches the opportunity to get promoted to the next level usually is too alluring, they tend to overlook even the very obvious flaws in their future employer e.g. Darren Moore to Sheffield Wednesday and Lee Bowyer to Blues.

In this context the best coaches employed in League one are Ryan Lowe Karl Robinson  Michael Appleton Danny Cowley and Paul Cook. The last two have only just joined their respective clubs Appleton signed a 4 year contract as recently as February so even here it isn't a case of whistle and they will come.

The available market is a much better option. The names I posted yesterday from even the limited overseas market are generally a cut above the ones we might attract otherwise and you absolutely won't get those out of a job to join us in the Championship were they in employment. They might hold out for better jobs but the clock is ticking as much for them as it is for us.

That is a depressing assessment Stan, but likely accurate sadly !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2640 on: June 11, 2021, 08:47:07 AM »

That's like asking you if you want the left leg or right leg amputating

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2641 on: June 11, 2021, 08:48:11 AM »
I think everyone on hear needs to take a reality check.

We have been snubbed or have snubbed them ourselves a lot of the better contenders for the job on the list.

We are not prepared to pay compensation.

So we are left with the managers without a job or even worse can't get a job.

No Championship manager will take this role. Mark Robins has been mentioned but he has probably looked at his current position and thought Coventry is a better job than West Brom .............  and he's right!!

So we are left with Derek McInnes or Alex Neal.   Either of these will not get us into the play offs not next season or the season after.

So all this firing of managers over the last few seasons is now coming back to bite us in the ass.

You reap what you sew !!!

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2642 on: June 11, 2021, 09:14:16 AM »
Mcinnes all day long. Like someone else on here said have you seen what Sir Alex as to say about him? And either would be better than the suggestion of Morrison and Brunt now that would be a joke.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2643 on: June 11, 2021, 09:22:17 AM »
I think everyone on hear needs to take a reality check.

We have been snubbed or have snubbed them ourselves a lot of the better contenders for the job on the list.

We are not prepared to pay compensation.

So we are left with the managers without a job or even worse can't get a job.

No Championship manager will take this role. Mark Robins has been mentioned but he has probably looked at his current position and thought Coventry is a better job than West Brom .............  and he's right!!

So we are left with Derek McInnes or Alex Neal.   Either of these will not get us into the play offs not next season or the season after.

So all this firing of managers over the last few seasons is now coming back to bite us in the ass.

You reap what you sew !!!

It’s a results driven game Mart!!

If you’re not getting the results, you’re gone.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2644 on: June 11, 2021, 09:28:21 AM »
I still think we missed out big time with Jokanovic. I know he wanted big wages but if we had any ounce of ambition we should have pushed the boat out for him. We might end up having to pay even more out if we are forced down the compensation route.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2645 on: June 11, 2021, 09:28:35 AM »
Mcinnes all day long. Like someone else on here said have you seen what Sir Alex as to say about him? And either would be better than the suggestion of Morrison and Brunt now that would be a joke.

Is that the same Sir Alex that told us that Ronnie Wallwork was the best Bosman signing of the summer in 2002?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2646 on: June 11, 2021, 09:30:46 AM »
Valerian Ismael's name is now in the fray  ;D
You couldn't make it up could you.

chonobaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2647 on: June 11, 2021, 09:36:17 AM »

I’d hire Ted Lasso! What a great manager!!
Im the cat that walks by himself....and all places are alike to me

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2648 on: June 11, 2021, 09:44:26 AM »
It’s a results driven game Mart!!

If you’re not getting the results, you’re gone.

That is what all the potential candidates are thinking !!!

I remember back in the late 80's  Man Utd were struggling in the bottom half of the league.

Alex Ferguson was struggling to get results. Supporters and the press calling for him to be sacked. But the man utd board perservered and the rest is now history.

Sometimes you have to look at the big picture and give them a chance. 

Norwich have done that and it has reaped rewards.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2649 on: June 11, 2021, 09:58:41 AM »
Norwich are more fortunate than most in that their majority shareholder is a genuine supporter, therefore not totally profit orientated .
Baggie for life not just for Xmas