1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441358 times)

mig

• Junior Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2021, 12:21:22 AM »
If Barnsley don't go up then I would be looking at Valerien Ismael. He would be a great appointment if we had any semblance of a long-term strategy...but we don't so i doubt he is on our radar at all.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2021, 12:29:57 AM »
There's been a real shift in Germany to promote coaches who have done their time in an Academy setup. Most of the best coaches do their Fußball Lehrer (top German qualification) and then take an academy team, before getting a first team gig. Nagelsmann definitely came through this route.

It make you think, is there a German youth coach we could get? Or maybe an English one?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2021, 12:30:29 AM »
If Barnsley don't go up then I would be looking at Valerien Ismael. He would be a great appointment if we had any semblance of a long-term strategy...but we don't so i doubt he is on our radar at all.

His football is bonkers. Would be hilarious to watched Livermore and Sawyers try to play his way.

He/him

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2021, 01:58:43 AM »
The alternatives to Allardyce in that poll are utterly grim.

Sam's the man.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2021, 03:35:06 AM »
Has to be Allerdyce.

If not then if Barnsley don't go up their gaffer.

Keep well away from Monk, and Alex Neil. If we appoint Alex Neil I won't go up until he leaves what an uninspiring appointment that would be. We need to be excited as fans this summer.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2021, 04:19:44 AM »
What an underwhelming selection to choose from!
Why can't we find a Daniel Farke from somewhere?
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2021, 04:49:33 AM »
Seen a few people mention him, he’s never been a manager has he? Been at city’s academy for 8 or so months.

Comes across as another one of those who wouldn’t be in the frame or mentioned at all if he didn’t play for us years ago.
So dismissive, he has served his apprenticeship under Pellegrini and Guardiola. I would rather take a chance with him, than anyone in the list other than possibly Allardyce, (and I don't really want him either!)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 05:18:10 AM by iwastherein68 »
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2021, 06:22:03 AM »
I actually think Enzo would be exciting. Completely out of the blue a clean slate young upcoming coach. He would no doubt some attractive names and some promising youth. Very very unlikely though given we are talking about Luke Dowling. It will either be big Sam for the safe route or someone tried and tested (Wilder, Alex Neil) oh and dare I say John Terry. Dowling likes him last I heard and we have his brother at the club as it is (Jobs for the boys).

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2021, 06:53:44 AM »
The possibility of picking up a young coach from Germany has been largely closed by the new work permits rules. To qualify the minimum requirement is the applicant would have to of held a Head Coach position for a club in a Teir 1 league which would rule out coaches like Farke and Wagner who were working with the B Teams before they were appointed by their English clubs. .

I would not generally appoint a rookie to the position while Enzo Maresca has worked with some the best coaches around he has no experience as a Head Coach at any level.

We have now had mention of another name that is actually worse than Allardyce, John Terry that takes the list to 3.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2021, 07:17:25 AM »
My real choice would be Ralf Rangnick, currently looking to manage a 'traditional' German or English club. The bloke is credited with teaching Nagelsmann and Tuchel a lot about football tactics etc. The slim hope I have is that he was heavily linked with us about 8 or 9 years ago. Obviously being relegated doesn't make WBA more attractive, but there again, he was engaged in serious negotiations to manage Schalke when it was obvious they would be relegated. 

However, realistically I doubt Dowlling would be looking at anyone without an English track record, so I've voted for Lampard. He plays good expansive football, and was obviously prepared to manage Derby, a club of similar size to us.
Don’t think he would be bad for the club at all....but most of his experience is behind the manager in a mainly DOF role...him plus some one like maresca/Veira/Henry may be an absolute dream team.
I just don’t think that’s where we are looking.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2021, 07:23:02 AM »
just like when we plucked Ron Atkinson from obscurity are there no up and coming managers in the EFL who have got teams promoted perhaps more than once who we could check on ?

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2021, 07:26:46 AM »
Anyone on the list BUT PLEASE, PLEASE NOT Allardyce
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2021, 07:31:40 AM »
I’ve gone lampard

Pluses
You would think he knows about midfield?
He would undoubtedly bring names that we wouldn’t ordinarily have access too
The board will know he is more marketable and therefore release a bit more funding
WHEN we win the league, he is best placed from the list to step back in to the prem
He still has a pair of size 10s
It would upset derby

Negatives
Frank lampards West Brom
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2021, 07:43:03 AM »
His football is bonkers. Would be hilarious to watched Livermore and Sawyers try to play his way.

Ismail's football is like Bielsa on speed.   Very exciting but if it took too long to adapt to the change of style then early points dropped could be very costly.

Of younger English managers maybe Mark Robins should get a mention.  Has done a really job at Coventry

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2021, 07:51:45 AM »
Yes, he would be a ridiculous choice as he would be so far out of his depth. You don't go from putting the cones out for children to commanding a premiership promotion push. Even worse I'm not sure he ever learnt English, and communication is everything.

I can confirm Enzo Maresca speaks English. As for the Cowleys whom you mention elsewhere they did a decent job keeping Huddersfield up in the circumstances. I'm not touting for Maresca or the Cowleys, just adding points to the thread.

On a wider point at this moment I have no idea who I want as manager. I'm neither pro nor anti Allardyce but I can see both sides of the argument to his appointment. For playing style I'm more for a Potter than a Pulis but in an ideal world our new incumbent should be able to marry both styles.

I'm not too sure who'll be on our list of targets who combines defensive solidity with forward moving possession based football. Or most importantly perhaps who combines the two and is happy and willing to manage us.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2021, 07:58:28 AM »
just like when we plucked Ron Atkinson from obscurity are there no up and coming managers in the EFL who have got teams promoted perhaps more than once who we could check on ?
Just a suggestion, Neil Critchley at Blackpool could come into that category. He was in charge of Liverpool under 23s before Blackpool appointed him. Don't know a great deal about the playing style but they seemed to have a young energetic team against us in the cup. They're in the playoffs after finishing third.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2021, 08:08:27 AM »
The thread title got my hopes up for a second!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2021, 08:13:44 AM »
Unless the club opt for an unknown left field appointment then the list just goes to show how poor the quality of candidates that are out of there.

This appointment will be risky enough given the incompetencies of the owners and Dowling. We are also likely to require a overhaul of the playing staff.

For me, the safest option is giving the job to Sam Allardyce.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2021, 08:18:41 AM »
Valerien Ismael from Barnsley if they don't get promoted please.
Twitter: @floydy1983

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2021, 08:21:42 AM »
The thread title got my hopes up for a second!

Had the opposite effect for me oddly enough....
MAGA!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2021, 08:37:15 AM »
I've gone other.

Without knowing what the owner is thinking, it's impossible to predict.

If it's a quick fix sticking plaster job, then Sam's the man, if he's thinking longer term, then there's likely to be a number of candidates available that we don't know about.

Personally, if the owner is looking longer term, I wouldn't mind giving Darren Moore another go.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2021, 09:04:49 AM »
Paul cook for me, and he'd be cheap

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2021, 09:08:57 AM »
Off that list I voted Lampard . I wouldn’t dismiss Terry as lightly as some have done , presumably that’s about the person not the coach. I would also add Critchley to the list his success at Blackpool showing that there are good candidates not yet necessarily NO1s possibly including the likes of Maresca , Carrick . Shakespeare to I feel may come into the reckoning. Those names to me are much more appealing than the likes of Neil ,Rowett, etc . If you want a real left field appt what about Roy , rumours rife Palace will replace him but he’s saying he’s no intention of retiring !!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2021, 09:33:23 AM »
Paul cook for me, and he'd be cheap

Good manager, no idea how much it would take to prise him away from Ipswich.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2021, 09:39:40 AM »
Good manager, no idea how much it would take to prise him away from Ipswich.

Hasn't hit the ground running at Ipswich, remains to be seen how he gets on there, new board at Portman road may give him some cash to build with, (re-assess his progress at xmas IMO)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!