Author Topic: 19 Jan 2021 West Ham 2 Albion 1  (Read 39307 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #375 on: January 20, 2021, 04:30:21 PM »
I thought we made a decent fist of it.  But Antonio beasted us and Creswell showed the value of a classy left back both in positioning and crossing.

I can't understand why BS didn't bring on Edwards instead of Furlong.  I know it meant that we could go to a back three but I think Edwards could have played wing back instead of Furlong.  For all those who seem to be knocking Edwards - remember Gnabry, coming on for the last ten minutes every now and then allows no development.
Agreed, I don't know why Edwards gets knocked. He can provide dangerous moments and is our quickest player. He should have been on the pitch for the last 20-25 minutes. Our tactic must have been keep it at 2-1 and hope we can nick a goal but we can't just let games tick by like that.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #376 on: January 21, 2021, 12:26:52 PM »
Agreed, I don't know why Edwards gets knocked.

Because he has one foot and no quality delivery at all.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #377 on: January 21, 2021, 01:34:57 PM »
Yes, some way off what Johan Cruyff used to expect of players that they be able to play with the inside and outside of both their left and right feet.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #378 on: January 21, 2021, 02:20:35 PM »
Agreed, I don't know why Edwards gets knocked. He can provide dangerous moments and is our quickest player. He should have been on the pitch for the last 20-25 minutes. Our tactic must have been keep it at 2-1 and hope we can nick a goal but we can't just let games tick by like that.

Yes, some way off what Johan Cruyff used to expect of players that they be able to play with the inside and outside of both their left and right feet.

Ok who in the Albion squad can do that?    I think Edwards would have provided a better chance for an equaliser than Furlong.

Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #379 on: January 21, 2021, 03:26:57 PM »
Ok who in the Albion squad can do that?    I think Edwards would have provided a better chance for an equaliser than Furlong.
OK, I was trying to be a bit funny  ;D.  I think Edwards has a turn of pace, and has the ingredients, but I think he needs extra coaching to help him become a more consistently dangerous winger.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #380 on: January 21, 2021, 03:48:32 PM »
I don't think anyone would have done much better than Furlong with that chance, even with their good foot. Pereira, Gallagher, Krovinovic, Grant, Phillips have all ballooned over from similar situations.

On Edwards, I don't think he does get knocked, everyone I know wants him to do well, but, the general consensus is, he just isn't quite good enough. He certainly doesn't score many, even given his limited opportunity, I envisage his goals / assists per minute ratio is poor. That's what's holding him back.