Poll

How would you rate Luke Dowlings tenure to date (26 may 2021)

Roaring success, we'll be lucky to keep him
2 (1.8%)
Doing well given the limitations he has to work under
9 (8.1%)
Ok
16 (14.4%)
Poor, could be doing better overall
49 (44.1%)
Abject, needs to be fired or walk,
35 (31.5%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Voting closed: June 05, 2021, 12:28:58 PM

Author Topic: Luke Dowling  (Read 46417 times)

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Luke Dowling
« Reply #825 on: June 09, 2021, 09:07:04 AM »
I think you need to stop sitting on the fence mate and tell us how you really feel  :D
I like to keep my cards close ;D
Dexy : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #826 on: June 09, 2021, 09:49:11 AM »
Can't see how he could operate in the roll that he is supposed to now it has come to light that he's been spanked by the Chairman.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #827 on: June 09, 2021, 09:51:21 AM »
Yep if i was him i'd be walking and that's outside of my personal view that i'd like him sacked.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #828 on: June 09, 2021, 10:49:58 AM »
If Dowling gets fired for mishandling this appointment then it is entirely his own fault. If he feels obliged to resign again that is on him nobody else.

The way collective responsibility in the boardroom works is you argue your case on any decision if that decision goes against you either live with it and get behind it publicly or you don't and resign. You don't leak to the press and expect to be in a job the following day.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #829 on: June 09, 2021, 10:53:59 AM »
You’re playing semantics with job titles.

It has been reported by both Masi and Percy that Wilder was the unanimous choice of the board.

That appointment was vetoed by Lai

I am not sure why you’re taking a wholly different approach because there is nothing out there to support it.

I am absolutely not playing semantics.

Dowling is not a member of the board of directors, neither is Lai.

Lai however, owns 88% of the business, so it's mainly his money that's at stake. He appointed Li Piyue as chairman & Ken as CEO to look after his interests, who are both members of the board.
It's inconceivable that both of those individuals would not have consulted with Lai on the selection process.

Other members of this forum have also suggested that the board & Dowling were not on the same page.

It's looking increasingly likely that Dowling was responsible for the leak, & he's the one with egg on his face, as Standaman said last night, we're in a mess.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #830 on: June 09, 2021, 11:15:56 AM »
It's almost certainly Dowling who has been talking to the press isnt it? I know if I were in his shoes and I had been done over like this by Lai I'd hand in my resignation.

mrmojorisin

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #831 on: June 09, 2021, 12:01:41 PM »
I very much doubt he will resign. I expect he will bite the bullet and keep going. After all, if he does resign is any other decent club likely to give him a job?

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #832 on: June 09, 2021, 12:16:15 PM »
If LD is the source of the leak to the press (although proving that will be near impossible) the surely if Lai was so opposed to Wilder on the basis of 'lack of respect for the hierarchy' as has been suggested, then surely this would rank higher on the list of "things likely to upset GL".
A lot of ifs but surely a leak from inside the club, with only a few obvious candidates is likely to incur the wrath of our owner?

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #833 on: June 09, 2021, 12:43:11 PM »
I very much doubt he will resign. I expect he will bite the bullet and keep going. After all, if he does resign is any other decent club likely to give him a job?

Agree with that. If he eventually gets fired he would get a nice payday
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 12:47:36 PM by Hull Baggie »

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #834 on: June 09, 2021, 12:56:58 PM »
You’re playing semantics with job titles.

It has been reported by both Masi and Percy that Wilder was the unanimous choice of the board.

That appointment was vetoed by Lai

I am not sure why you’re taking a wholly different approach because there is nothing out there to support it.
The key word here is board . The statement by Masi and Percy makes no sense to me . The two Chinamen on the board will not have made many decisions without consulting Lai first and as far as I am aware the only other board member is Myles. As such it can have come as no shock that Lai vetoed the appointment . It is entirely possible they packaged it as Dowlings recommendation but no more than that.
At a slight tangent didn’t Jenkins say he would be around as a kind of consultant/sounding board if needed ,if so I wonder if had any input unlikely but this is the Albion !
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 01:08:08 PM by hardtobeat »
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #835 on: June 09, 2021, 03:16:51 PM »
Dowling gets blamed by some for everything that happens at our club and no credit whatsoever for any success. I'd be amazed if he left us at this stage given we need him to work with the new manager and scouts to oversee a hectic summer transfer window.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #836 on: June 09, 2021, 03:40:13 PM »
Dowling gets blamed by some for everything that happens at our club and no credit whatsoever for any success. I'd be amazed if he left us at this stage given we need him to work with the new manager and scouts to oversee a hectic summer transfer window.

I see what you're doing. After that Wagner post yesterday... fingers crossed he's gone by 10pm 😂
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #837 on: June 09, 2021, 04:53:02 PM »
I see what you're doing. After that Wagner post yesterday... fingers crossed he's gone by 10pm 😂

😂 My posts do have an uncanny knack for making things happen, in a couple of match day threads this season I guaranteed we had no chance of scoring, only for us to then immediately bang in a couple of goals. In all seriousness I'd be much happier having Dowling work alongside Wagner in this summer's transfer window than not having a director of football in charge at all. I'm in the minority, in that I think his transfer business has been decent anyway given the resources available to him.

wodenson46

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #838 on: June 09, 2021, 07:25:48 PM »
Dowling should be sacked for the Allardyce adventure alone. Anything else just compounds the issue.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #839 on: June 09, 2021, 07:41:16 PM »
Can't see how he could operate in the roll that he is supposed to now it has come to light that he's been spanked by the Chairman.
Totally agree mate, unless you're really thick skinned .

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #840 on: June 09, 2021, 11:41:41 PM »
Dowling should be sacked for the Allardyce adventure alone. Anything else just compounds the issue.

Yeah, I was fuming with the change of manager rather than committing to what we had but for all we know that may have been Lai driven as well. Water under the bridge now. Vital summer ahead of us and it's not the time to sack the director of football. We got promoted last time with him at the helm and I remember everyone was lauding our transfer business for Sawyers, Furlong, Krov, Grady, Pereira, Austin, Ajayi etc, Romaine was held as the bargain signing of the season. The mood music changes so quickly. Fact is in the championship we are a relatively big draw and can make deals happen. In the premiership we are the bottom of the pack, left to pick up the scrapes that nobody else wanted. Yet a lot of fans expect wondrous transfer business in both leagues, regardless, and even with a shoestring budget. We need to be a bit more realistic.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #841 on: June 10, 2021, 08:19:50 AM »
Totally agree mate, unless you're really thick skinned .

You can be undermined by the chairman / owner over-ruling your recommendation if you have mutual respect for each others position. AND as the sub-ordinate you can point to other decisions / strategies you have implemented successfully meeting owner / boards objectives , these being acknowledged by the Chair.
None of us are privy to the Lai / Dowling relationship (if one even exists) but my impression is that Lai simply NEEDS us to maintain a premier league status and that is the over-riding objective of everyone at WBAFC, in that respect LD has failed and will be judged on that basis (I think)
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #842 on: June 10, 2021, 08:37:37 AM »
Yeah, I was fuming with the change of manager rather than committing to what we had but for all we know that may have been Lai driven as well. Water under the bridge now. Vital summer ahead of us and it's not the time to sack the director of football. We got promoted last time with him at the helm and I remember everyone was lauding our transfer business for Sawyers, Furlong, Krov, Grady, Pereira, Austin, Ajayi etc, Romaine was held as the bargain signing of the season. The mood music changes so quickly. Fact is in the championship we are a relatively big draw and can make deals happen. In the premiership we are the bottom of the pack, left to pick up the scrapes that nobody else wanted. Yet a lot of fans expect wondrous transfer business in both leagues, regardless, and even with a shoestring budget. We need to be a bit more realistic.
If he is still here he needs to buy players that A. Fit the style the manager wants , B. Not be on their last legs , C . Have some resale value and D. Don't commit to stupid contracts and big rises If we go up to players who don't play and are the wrong side of 30 .
The above would be a start .
I'll also point out 3 of the names you list were Bilic picks , Ajayi , Furlong , Sawyers and Austin are good examples of Dowlings work . All signings from British clubs , most of them poor last season . I know its not easy but we need to be looking for players who can handle the league we are in and a good chance of the Premier . This is where Dowling's British first policy kills him for me , narrowing the market for a club like us is suicide .
I don't know much about Wagner's Huddersfield squad but from memory there was a influx of foriegn players , I have no idea how that will work with Dowling .
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 08:48:02 AM by Dexy »

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #843 on: June 10, 2021, 08:52:54 AM »
I think Dowling's biggest failures are around not supporting the academy (we've lost loads of staff and players in his time which seems to speak volumes) plus not providing any kind of joined up strategy on the football side - other than appointing a 'name' as HC and hoping for the best. There have been worrying stories that he's signed players the respective coach didn't want/ need (rumours re Zohore and Diangana) - what's the point in that for anyone if true?

I just think we badly need fresh impetus in this (football side of the club) area. barnsely, Brentford, Swansea and others are stealing a march on us by being more open minded and creative with recruitment and football strategy so we need to wake up and catch up before it's too late and we become another Sheff Wed or Derby, sleepwalking down the Championship over time..............

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #844 on: June 10, 2021, 03:46:38 PM »
If he is still here he needs to buy players that A. Fit the style the manager wants , B. Not be on their last legs , C . Have some resale value and D. Don't commit to stupid contracts and big rises If we go up to players who don't play and are the wrong side of 30 .
The above would be a start .
I'll also point out 3 of the names you list were Bilic picks , Ajayi , Furlong , Sawyers and Austin are good examples of Dowlings work . All signings from British clubs , most of them poor last season . I know its not easy but we need to be looking for players who can handle the league we are in and a good chance of the Premier . This is where Dowling's British first policy kills him for me , narrowing the market for a club like us is suicide .
I don't know much about Wagner's Huddersfield squad but from memory there was a influx of foriegn players , I have no idea how that will work with Dowling .

I agree with you re no point spending big on players the wrong side of 30, but let's also appreciate that we did a decent job two years ago in the last championship summer transfer window of lowering the age of the squad; as it was a proper OAP shambles at the time.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #845 on: June 10, 2021, 04:58:55 PM »
I agree with you re no point spending big on players the wrong side of 30, but let's also appreciate that we did a decent job two years ago in the last championship summer transfer window of lowering the age of the squad; as it was a proper OAP shambles at the time.
I'll struggle to appreciate getting older ones out and bringing two in on hefty money , you know my view and dont have to show you that list again .
That Wagner / Dowling point lasted well ;D
Edit 3 older players , I forgot Peltier .
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 06:47:41 PM by Dexy »

WBA.R.K

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #846 on: June 14, 2021, 11:40:10 AM »
Believe me, I am in no way a fan of Dowling but surely the man must be near the end of his rope?
He must be getting more frustrated as each day goes on and Lai keeps making his job more and more difficult.
At what point does he just call it quits? He could easily get another job elsewhere.
If that were to happen, god help us with whoever Lai decides to bring in this time  ???

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #847 on: June 14, 2021, 11:48:46 AM »
Believe me, I am in no way a fan of Dowling but surely the man must be near the end of his rope?
He must be getting more frustrated as each day goes on and Lai keeps making his job more and more difficult.
At what point does he just call it quits? He could easily get another job elsewhere.
If that were to happen, god help us with whoever Lai decides to bring in this time  ???

Asda?

Let's not beat about the bush. He's never working at this level again.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #848 on: June 14, 2021, 12:01:17 PM »
Asda?

If that's the case. I won't be shopping at ASDA.
He would mix up the caviar with cabbages. I would then end up with a cabbage.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #849 on: June 14, 2021, 12:12:16 PM »
Presumably he is sanctioning the £1million Harper is reportedly valued at. So has he got a replacement lined up which will be better value for money? Not holding my breath.
Or do we go into the Championship season with one less central midfielder?
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure