Author Topic: System / Tactics / Personnel  (Read 308874 times)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: System / Tactics / Personnel
« Reply #1175 on: November 23, 2021, 12:44:03 PM »
That's the only reason I put Hugill in there. As poor as he's been, I would still rather him on the end of a cross into the box than any of the others. He did show against Bristol that he can get on the end of things so I'd give him a go. Robinson is clearly not happy so It's a case of needs must.
I would definitely have Tulloch or Cleary on the bench, maybe even Zohore. It's not working at the moment so we need a spark.

I agree with the sentiment. Sadly it wont be Zohore as the poor lad is injured!!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1176 on: November 23, 2021, 01:32:52 PM »
I don't know why Grant can't be tried as a No.9. We have tried everyone else without any being a particular success and he has the physical build. Or does he have to be played on the left so that he can cut inside and get it onto his right foot? That sounds rather like a one trick pony.

It would also allow Diangana to play in his strongest position. He is a winger but needs space in front of him to run into. In midfield he plays like a winger, but seems to end up dribbling straight into whole clusters of players. He needs to play one against one which makes the wing position more suitable.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1177 on: November 23, 2021, 01:43:18 PM »
The coach has shown he is not interested in changing tactics, a rigid 4 3 3 and sub at 60 mins. The only thing that’s changing is the opposition, we are predictable to play against and good coaches are finding us out.

EveshamBaggy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1178 on: November 23, 2021, 01:55:52 PM »
Not sure it requires even a good coach to work us out

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1179 on: November 23, 2021, 02:06:14 PM »
The coach has shown he is not interested in changing tactics, a rigid 4 3 3 and sub at 60 mins. The only thing that’s changing is the opposition, we are predictable to play against and good coaches are finding us out.
We have changed from a more direct long ball style to one which involves more passing.  But I get your point that his basic formation has stayed at 3-4-3. I think most managers have their favourite formation which they have settled on through their careers. Just as Tony Pulis has his favoured formation, so has Val. If the Albion board had said to Pulis at his interview, Tony, we'd like you to play free-flowing attacking football with high press and overlapping fullbacks. You know it wouldn't happen, and Val has similarly said what his playing philosophy is. 

That's not to say things shouldn't be tweaked during games. If your rightback is being turned inside out, you know he needs extra help or subbing. Also injuries change things. You may also need an extra man going forward or to tighten up the defence during a game, depending on the score, but that doesn't mean changing the overall strategy.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1180 on: November 23, 2021, 02:24:35 PM »

The problem isn't that he doesn't change tactics. He does hence post after post on this thread suggesting the players are often caught in two minds. To the best of my recollection we haven't played 433 at any point this season other than during transitions of play.

For the majority of the time we've played 343 with the two wide front players often dropping into a 3421 looking for second balls from the opposition midfield. We're predictable when we go long and we're predictable when we dither between the long and short game.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1181 on: November 23, 2021, 04:27:11 PM »
The problem isn't that he doesn't change tactics. He does hence post after post on this thread suggesting the players are often caught in two minds. To the best of my recollection we haven't played 433 at any point this season other than during transitions of play.

For the majority of the time we've played 343 with the two wide front players often dropping into a 3421 looking for second balls from the opposition midfield. We're predictable when we go long and we're predictable when we dither between the long and short game.

I guess if you keep playing the same way every game them you're predictable and it's easy for other teams to suss you out.  The fact that we dither in mid-field could be down to the front runners not taking up good positions or the midfielders not seeing or executing the pass or them not being properly coached as a team - or all three of them. 

In any game shouldn't we vary our tactics particularly if the current tactics is not working?    No more speculative long crosses into the box please; we don't have anyone who can convert them.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1182 on: November 23, 2021, 06:35:34 PM »
Sorry, didn't realise a semblance of perspective would unhinge the universe whilst bringing both scorn and damnattion to the site. Please accept my humble apologies  ;D .

I accept your gracious apology!

P.S Keep it up  ;)

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1183 on: November 23, 2021, 10:02:58 PM »
Much better with Mowatt and Molumby.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1184 on: November 23, 2021, 10:04:49 PM »
Much better with Mowatt and Molumby.

Two proper footballers.

Refreshing to see both trying to retain the ball and press rather than the cumbersome Livermore of recent weeks.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1185 on: November 23, 2021, 10:38:55 PM »
Two proper footballers.

Refreshing to see both trying to retain the ball and press rather than the cumbersome Livermore of recent weeks.

1 of 2 problems solved. Capable centre forward would fix the other glaring one
O Albion we love you

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1186 on: November 24, 2021, 07:34:26 AM »
If Ismael still wants the pressing game then the template v Blackpool must surely be what he's looking for?

We looked energetic right through the 90 mins,if lacking a little quality.

IMO we stopped the pressing game as we have a 32 year old that cannot do it over a long 46 game campaign.  We have also had a short spell from Snodgrass.

Other notable points, I don't see how Kipre is better than Ajayi?  There is really no point in Hugill at all.

I'd still go after Yokuslu on January, unless we can get our hands on a top striker.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1187 on: November 24, 2021, 08:04:19 AM »
A simple 4 4 1 1 with Robinson / Grant switching about up top would suit so much better.
Grady wide left , Phillips wide right if nobody else and support from Mowatt / JM .
So much more balanced

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1188 on: November 24, 2021, 08:53:17 AM »
A lot being said about systems and VI on the forum . Unfortunately it's players that make systems work and I fail to see we have the players fir a more passing  aged expensive game. Just where you fit the likes of Robinson , Grant ,Phillips into any system is difficult but somehow we have to because of the lack of viable alternatives. 
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1189 on: November 24, 2021, 09:32:04 AM »
A simple 4 4 1 1 with Robinson / Grant switching about up top would suit so much better.
Grady wide left , Phillips wide right if nobody else and support from Mowatt / JM .
So much more balanced

Not enough numbers forward to implement an effective press. We were better last night. The way Val wants to press the ball requires us to have three up top. It's the 3-4-3 or 4-3-3, potentially a 4-4-2. Seeing as his methods are more aligned to principles of play, I'm not sure the system he uses will change too much.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1190 on: November 24, 2021, 10:10:38 AM »
I listened to ts2 commentary on the match last night, the main describe seemed to be pro Blackpool with the ex pro I won't call him a footballer because he played like a thug, saying that we play with no plan, sort of kick and rush type play
But some on here who may have seen it live are suggesting that we were better last night, what's the truth?
Blackpool played the better football, was constantly said, by the way, whoever said there was a right way.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1191 on: November 24, 2021, 10:39:07 AM »
I listened to ts2 commentary on the match last night, the main describe seemed to be pro Blackpool with the ex pro I won't call him a footballer because he played like a thug, saying that we play with no plan, sort of kick and rush type play
But some on here who may have seen it live are suggesting that we were better last night, what's the truth?
Blackpool played the better football, was constantly said, by the way, whoever said there was a right way.
It was better in terms of intensity but we lacked a plan. Yes we had shots but we didn't really create chances. It was more stick it in the box and have a shy at it, which meant most of them were blocked by defenders. Our keeper was the busier and made a worldie double save.
It's all well and good Val stating that we had 23 shots, but that's no good if they are falling to the wrong people, in the wrong areas. I would rather we had 9 or 10 quality chances that fell to the likes of Grant, Robinson or Phillips, all of whom we know can finish, in decent areas, following decent build up.

We are playing at least 5 forward players every game. 1 for 90 mins, 2 for 60 and 2 for 30, yet NONE of them have any form WHATSOEVER and none of them look confident.
So, I'll ask the question again, are all of these players suddenly rubbish or is there something wrong with the system?
Why are they so out of sorts, what are they doing in training?

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1192 on: November 24, 2021, 10:39:10 AM »

The press was back last night Liver, but it wasn't so much as a press, more of a light tickle. We were better than the weekend and the whole game was played at a fast pace from start to finish. My personal opinion is that whilst we were better, there does not seem to be too much enthusiasm from the team for Vals style.

We were as good as Blackpool, who defended in numbers and parked a couple of buses when required.
MAGA!

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1193 on: November 24, 2021, 11:33:45 AM »
A totally unbalanced squad.
We have 3 forward players who all like playing on the left of a 3 Grant,Diangana and Robinson.
If Grant doesn't score he offers nothing.
Diangana is a shadow of his former self and should be nowhere near the starting 11.
Robinson starts for me every game in his favoured position he is proven at this level.
Centre forward, until the transfer window opens we could do far worse than try one of the kids either Faal or Cleary.  Hugil is a poor battering ram and should be sent back to Norwich if we can.
Wide right , can Fellows or Gardner Hickman currently improve on Phillips?
Mowatt and Molumby are the obvious choice to play centrally in the current formation which I would change personally.
For me I'd go back to a basic 4-4-2
Johnstone
Townsend Clark Ajayi Furlong
Reach mowatt Molumby Snodgrass
Robinson and one other as a front two.

We are trying to shoehorn players who are out of form and not really suited to Val's system and style of play.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1194 on: November 24, 2021, 11:57:55 AM »
We aren't ruthless enough with the chances created. What you'd give now for one of the following:

Jason Roberts
Lee Hughes
Bob Taylor
Kevin Phillips

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1195 on: November 24, 2021, 12:29:02 PM »
A totally unbalanced squad.
We have 3 forward players who all like playing on the left of a 3 Grant,Diangana and Robinson.
If Grant doesn't score he offers nothing.
Diangana is a shadow of his former self and should be nowhere near the starting 11.
Robinson starts for me every game in his favoured position he is proven at this level.
Centre forward, until the transfer window opens we could do far worse than try one of the kids either Faal or Cleary.  Hugil is a poor battering ram and should be sent back to Norwich if we can.
Wide right , can Fellows or Gardner Hickman currently improve on Phillips?
Mowatt and Molumby are the obvious choice to play centrally in the current formation which I would change personally.
For me I'd go back to a basic 4-4-2
Johnstone
Townsend Clark Ajayi Furlong
Reach mowatt Molumby Snodgrass
Robinson and one other as a front two.

We are trying to shoehorn players who are out of form and not really suited to Val's system and style of play.

Depends what you mean by proven at this level. I'd say a goalscorer that is proven at this level would have a better than 1 in 4 goal rate across their career at this level. Robinson has scored 38 goals in 163 Championship games since 2015/16. Grant has a Championship record of 1 in 3 (28 in 84).

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1196 on: November 24, 2021, 12:36:50 PM »
Depends what you mean by proven at this level. I'd say a goalscorer that is proven at this level would have a better than 1 in 4 goal rate across their career at this level. Robinson has scored 38 goals in 163 Championship games since 2015/16. Grant has a Championship record of 1 in 3 (28 in 84).
What's Hugill? One in a blue moon?

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1197 on: November 24, 2021, 12:50:24 PM »

To be accurate, two years ago when he was on loan to QPR his strike rate was 1 in 3. Last season was much worse with Norwich, probably because he was on the bench a lot and Pukki was ahead of him in the pecking order.

You can make the figures say what you want really, but his recent season with QPR tends to suggest that he is no mug in the Championship.
MAGA!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1198 on: November 24, 2021, 12:56:10 PM »

what's that got to do with Robinson being labelled as proven at this level?

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1199 on: November 24, 2021, 01:09:59 PM »
I think the problem maybe Grant.

I think he is the weakest player on the left in terms of his general play. I’d play Diangana or Robinson ahead of him on the left. I’m not saying he’s a bad player, but he doesn’t make much of a contribution beyond his goals whereas Diangana and Robinson can both offer more.

I’d probably start Diangana left, Grant central and Phillips right for a bit.