Author Topic: George Reilly  (Read 4933 times)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

George Reilly
« on: December 02, 2016, 11:28:37 AM »
Anyone remember him, played for us in the 80's?

Did you know that Reilly scored the winner for Watford in the FA Cup semi final of 1984 against Plymouth (who knocked us out, Tommy bloody Tynan).

In 2003 Reilly was working as a bricklayer when someone bit part of his ear off and whispered "Plymouth" to him

That's one way to seek revenge.

You learn something new every day!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: George Reilly
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 11:32:08 AM »
Anyone remember him, played for us in the 80's?

Did you know that Reilly scored the winner for Watford in the FA Cup semi final of 1984 against Plymouth (who knocked us out, Tommy bloody Tynan).

In 2003 Reilly was working as a bricklayer when someone bit part of his ear off and whispered "Plymouth" to him

That's one way to seek revenge.

You learn something new every day!

Johny Giles first game back second spell, chucked me scarf on the pitch after the game
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 11:34:02 AM »

Johny Giles first game back second spell, chucked me scarf on the pitch after the game

Yep. Right kick in the guts that game was. I was well and truly gutted especially after the QPR loss in 1982. I was like "is it ever going to happen?".

I am STILL waiting!!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 11:54:15 AM »
Remember him very well........... for being absolute rubbish!!!
One of the worst strikers (use the term loosely) I have ever seen at the Albion. Right up there with Stewart Evans, Paul Williams and John Paskin.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 12:00:36 PM »
Remember him very well........... for being absolute rubbish!!!
One of the worst strikers (use the term loosely) I have ever seen at the Albion. Right up there with Stewart Evans, Paul Williams and John Paskin.

Evans was the worst surely? Absolute tripe.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 12:19:26 PM »
he was another Joe Mayo, joey mayo, mayo mayo
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 12:37:13 PM »
We should have signed Mavis Reilly
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 02:24:08 PM »
Luke F in Moore was the worst

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 02:46:31 PM »

Joey Mayo, legend, how dare you! ;D
Baggie in Southampton

Loughborough Baggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 08:33:34 PM »

Evans was the worst surely? Absolute tripe.

Didnt we get Reily in during our relegation season from the top flight?...15 years of hurt.  Was he bought by Nobby Stiles?  I know he became a laughing stock amongst fans.  There was one day and it might have been against Liverpool when he took the ball down on a sixpence in front of goal and the Brummie Road end gasped in disbelief.  Needless to say the shot restored our faith in his incompetence...think they are still looking for the ball...

...wasnt Williams the one that we signed as a centre back and then decided was a striker or was it the other way round?  These players all reflected the desperate state we were in.  We have short memories...even Yacob has more skill in his little toe than this lot put together...     

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 10:12:03 AM »
Seem to remember Reilly getting the winner at St Andrews on year during the dark, dark days. Other than that he was God awful.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 02:34:47 PM »
...wasnt Williams the one that we signed as a centre back and then decided was a striker or was it the other way round?  These players all reflected the desperate state we were in.  We have short memories...even Yacob has more skill in his little toe than this lot put together...     

As I recall it, the story about Williams was that we had a useful little full back, also named Paul Williams, on loan from Coventry, and when he went back someone at the club said "sign Paul Williams", and of course being Albion we signed the Paul Williams from Stockport.

Obviously the story is tripe, but it kind of typified the chaos prevalent at that time.

Mind you I could be imagining all this as I also have a half memory that we simply signed the wrong Stockport striker. They has a better one but we signed Paul Williams by mistake.

Whatever the story, he was a tryer, but by God he was rubbish.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 10:42:08 PM »
As I recall it, the story about Williams was that we had a useful little full back, also named Paul Williams, on loan from Coventry, and when he went back someone at the club said "sign Paul Williams", and of course being Albion we signed the Paul Williams from Stockport.

Obviously the story is tripe, but it kind of typified the chaos prevalent at that time.

Mind you I could be imagining all this as I also have a half memory that we simply signed the wrong Stockport striker. They has a better one but we signed Paul Williams by mistake.

Paul williams the left back was after the stinker...sorry striker
Then there was graham Fenton , we did alright with our loans back then.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 09:34:43 AM »

Think Brett Angel was the other Stockport striker. Scored for fun, until we finally signed him a few years later and he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo!

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 09:52:07 AM »

Funny how things were back then, I have very fond memories of those days, to be fair the football wasn't always great but it was honest, the Grealish's, Cowdrill's, Shakespear's, Bradley's, even wee Mickey Thomas, loved them days  ;D ;D
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 10:16:11 AM »

I was at one game in Giles first spell,can't recall who against, and Mayo and Allan Glover broke two on one. Glover had the ball on the right, Mayo was running down the middle and the defender was between the two.
When Glover looked up to cross, Mayo ran away towards the corner flag. I remember fuming and laughing at the same time, a bit like Dreyfuss in the Pink Panther films.