Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2363140 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #7375 on: October 21, 2021, 11:14:33 AM »
This guy is THE problem. Wiped around 75% off his passive investment in 5 years. Absolutely clueless.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #7376 on: October 21, 2021, 08:51:04 PM »
We can talk about sacking managers but this guy is still the massive problem. The talk of a takeover has gone really quiet. I guess the £200 million asking price is a stumbling block.

He’s going to sell the club at a massive loss.

Lai needs promotion in order to recoup as much of his investment.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7377 on: October 21, 2021, 10:58:42 PM »
This guy is THE problem. Wiped around 75% off his passive investment in 5 years. Absolutely clueless.
He probably paid 75% more than it was worth. I’m sure I’m not the only one who thought we were stupidly over valued.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7378 on: October 22, 2021, 12:11:10 AM »
He probably paid 75% more than it was worth. I’m sure I’m not the only one who thought we were stupidly over valued.

He was mugged off big time and unfortunately it will be our millstone for years to come
MAGA!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7379 on: October 22, 2021, 09:24:16 AM »

He definitely paid too much but that's his own fault. Giant red flag #1 right there.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7380 on: October 22, 2021, 10:07:17 AM »
He was mugged off big time and unfortunately it will be our millstone for years to come

If that were true I'd expect Jeremy to be wearing concrete slippers somewhere in the Bahamas now.
The kitchen sinks are not very forgiving.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7381 on: October 22, 2021, 10:23:05 AM »

JP's valuation of the club was essentially based on current (then) and future Premier League TV revenues. Despite the reality of that valuation being built on sand we weren't overpriced as a going concern. Relegation reduced our revenue which in turn reduced our value moving forward.

Lai and co. effectively purchased our image rights along with the fixtures and fittings. On that basis JP's valuation wasn't remotely stupid. At the same time Lai and co's failure to appreciate the consequences of relegation wasn't remotely clever.

I honestly have no idea whether they even realised relegation was a thing. Even if they did we had a 'never been relegated' manager in situ' and we were an established Premier League fixture at the time of purchase.

It was also a time when the Chinese Government was rubber stamping the purchase of the football world..... and promptly changed it's mind. Like the rest of us Lai and co. have been caught in an imperfect perfect storm.

They're paying a hefty financial price for the prevailing conditions. We on the other hand are the ones paying the emotional price.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7382 on: October 22, 2021, 02:09:53 PM »
We were not worth half the number JP sold us for. We won’t know if Lai would have been able to invest in the club further if he had bought us for less than 100 million, however he would have been in a better position to sell.
It feels like we are now stuck and we have peace to thank for that.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7383 on: October 22, 2021, 02:45:09 PM »
Maybe if we go up he will cut his losses and sell for what he can get.  £150m maybe?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7384 on: October 22, 2021, 04:25:17 PM »
Maybe if we go up he will cut his losses and sell for what he can get.  £150m maybe?

He'd snap their hands off for that i'd think. I think he'd more be more likely to get 130ish as an unestablished PL team again.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7385 on: October 22, 2021, 04:40:44 PM »
Lsi tenure has been one disaster lurching to the next having said that the bad decisions started almost a decade  ago. Following Roy leaving and him taking dan ashworth with him it began to unravel.

10 years today we beat the villa at seal park. We still haven't managed to replace odemwingie mulumbu Scharner Thomas brunt Morrison foster. Recruitment got worse and worse managerial appointments there were some horrific ones. Sporting director appointments even worse. Peace selling just bad a bad thing worse.
O Albion we love you

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7386 on: October 23, 2021, 09:21:05 AM »
Lsi tenure has been one disaster lurching to the next having said that the bad decisions started almost a decade  ago. Following Roy leaving and him taking dan ashworth with him it began to unravel.

10 years today we beat the villa at seal park. We still haven't managed to replace odemwingie mulumbu Scharner Thomas brunt Morrison foster. Recruitment got worse and worse managerial appointments there were some horrific ones. Sporting director appointments even worse. Peace selling just bad a bad thing worse.

It's quite depressing when you think of the depths Sir Gary Megson and Paul Thompson dragged us from, the work that went into keeping us going under Peace and where we are as a club now.

A position of third in the Championship shouldn't be sniffed at given the season's stage. But while we have a decent enough starting eleven our squad lacks the quality and character of so many of the players you've mentioned there.

Genuinely feel we're at a crossroads as a club. We're at a precarious time in our history, much more so than when we missed out on promotion under Darren Moore (his mate notwithstanding) and James Shan's caretaker tenure.

Winter's coming........... ?
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7387 on: October 23, 2021, 12:05:48 PM »
It's quite depressing when you think of the depths Sir Gary Megson and Paul Thompson dragged us from, the work that went into keeping us going under Peace and where we are as a club now.

A position of third in the Championship shouldn't be sniffed at given the season's stage. But while we have a decent enough starting eleven our squad lacks the quality and character of so many of the players you've mentioned there.

Genuinely feel we're at a crossroads as a club. We're at a precarious time in our history, much more so than when we missed out on promotion under Darren Moore (his mate notwithstanding) and James Shan's caretaker tenure.

Winter's coming........... ?

When we were owned by JP, the global economic & political situation was reasonably stable, so we only needed to look to JP for change.

Over the past 5 years, the situation has changed dramatically, & in retrospect, selling the club to a Chinese owner was not the best decision.

IMO, Lai's hands are pretty much tied, & he can only do what he's told to do by the Chinese leadership.
It's certain that he won't be allowed to put any additional capital into the club, so we have to be self sustaining.
To make us more valuable, we have to be an EPL club, GL won't care how that happens: for him, style is not an issue, it's just results.

As you say, we're in a perfect storm.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7388 on: October 30, 2021, 03:39:53 PM »
The only saving grace I will give val is look what’s happens when a manager is backed. Fulham have gambled that they will go straight back up, we’ve come down and the manager is given frees and loans ect. This owner is the deeper problem at this club and the sooner he leaves the better

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7389 on: October 30, 2021, 04:26:42 PM »
I keep reading “this guy is the problem” , not unless he gives away possession easily in midfield or refuses to make critical team decisions he ain’t.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #7390 on: October 30, 2021, 04:28:59 PM »
Our board and owner clearly have no ambition at this level let alone the one we are aiming to get too.

Big Val is stubborn with his selections and tactics but it doesnt take away we are battling for promotion with a thread bare squad and a forward line who beyond Robinson and Grant has no depth to account for loss or form, fitness or injuries.

I was told pre-season online that I was wrong in this assessment but for me its still not resolved.

OverLandAndSea

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #7391 on: October 30, 2021, 05:31:47 PM »
How long until we as a fan base show some balls and start telling this chancer what we think of him?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7392 on: October 30, 2021, 05:35:48 PM »
How long until we as a fan base show some balls and start telling this chancer what we think of him?

These are Albion fans you are talking about. No chance of anything like that.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 05:44:37 PM by gazberg »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7393 on: October 30, 2021, 05:36:32 PM »

He doesn't care what we think of him. He wants out of the club but he won't sell until he gets somewhere near his money back. He's going nowhere for now no matter what fans do. If you don't get that clear in your mind you'll drive yourself crazy mate.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7394 on: October 30, 2021, 05:38:48 PM »
He doesn't care what we think of him. He wants out of the club but he won't sell until he gets somewhere near his money back. He's going nowhere for now no matter what fans do. If you don't get that clear in your mind you'll drive yourself crazy mate.

Surely some negative publicity would be uncomfortable for him back in China. Could it force his hand to lower his price?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7395 on: October 30, 2021, 05:41:52 PM »
Surely some negative publicity would be uncomfortable for him back in China. Could it force his hand to lower his price?

He won't give a stuff. All the moaning goes on over here he's thousands of miles away and no one in China cares about Albion.

OverLandAndSea

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #7396 on: October 30, 2021, 05:44:01 PM »

Incorrect- as someone who has done business in China for 20 years if he loses face he will speed things up.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7397 on: October 30, 2021, 05:45:57 PM »
Incorrect- as someone who has done business in China for 20 years if he loses face he will speed things up.

I thought that but aren't the Chinese government insistant that Chinese citizens who are invested overseas don't lose money when they sell up, to bring as much money back into China as possible?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7398 on: October 30, 2021, 05:46:35 PM »

Bet you he won't. He's been desperate to sell for a couple of years and he hasn't budged a jot. Until he gets his price he's going nowhere mate.

OverLandAndSea

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #7399 on: October 30, 2021, 05:51:58 PM »
I thought that but aren't the Chinese government insistant that Chinese citizens who are invested overseas don't lose money when they sell up, to bring as much money back into China as possible?

Lai isn’t the owner, he’s a front man for something far darker.

He’s also in serious trouble back in China owing a lot of money to the team he’s involved in there and will be lucky if he’s not in jail.