Author Topic: Football on TV during the pandemic  (Read 2490 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Football on TV during the pandemic
« on: May 08, 2020, 10:13:46 AM »
As things seem to be speeding up, I thought I’d create a thread on football available to watch on TV during the pandemic. Feel free to update with anything you find.

At 1050 today on the BBC Red button and the IPlayer, the BBC are showing the reopening of the South Korean football league Jeonbuk Motors vs Suwon Blue Wings.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Football on TV during the pandemic
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 10:21:25 AM »
ITV have confirmed that from Monday, they will be showing the EURO 96 tournament. The first game available will be England v Switzerland.

Over the weekend, there is also retro football on BBC and ITV. On BBC you can watch a classic Women’s FA cup match at 1230, then at 2 pm you have the FIFA World Cup redwing featuring highlights of 4 or 5 classic games (this week including England v west Germany in 1990 and West Germany vs Netherlands in the 1974 World Cup final.

If you prefer a bit of rugby, BBC Scotland has highlights of their 1995 5 nations tournament at 7:15 pm and BBC Wales has England v Wales from 1999 at 1:30 pm.

Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 10:22:30 AM »
5 pm on Saturday - ITV at showing the 1979 FA Cup final between Man Utd and Arsenal.
Boing Boing

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 10:27:04 AM »
On YouTube over the weekend it’s the Belarusian premier
We could get a team on here to beat most of them...
Slustk are top (not sure how), but if you watch Bate Boris I’ve they are head and shoulders above the others .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 02:17:31 PM »
I watched the 2nd half of the K-League game and throughly enjoyed it - maybe my standards have stopped to an all-time low...scrap that - i remember the Buckley days and once trying to convince myself that Paul Holmes was a good player.

On to the game - the fake crowd noise was actually quite good, couldn't hear players swearing although if they did I wouldn't have known being as it's Korea... There were some weird moments; people on the bench not wearing masks properly, fist taps at the end but then rubbing people's hair. All in all i think behind closed doors can be enjoyable on TV and I didn't notice a distinct lack of effort or care so hopefully that way forward may work here.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 03:29:36 PM »
Not football but the UFC starts back up tomorrow night ( 1am Sunday morning ) BT Sport. Can’t wait

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 04:46:38 PM »
I see were on MOTD tonight at 11pm.
About the great escape in 2005

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 12:44:35 AM »
It was really good watching Match of Their Day. Good interview with Horsfield - he said he goes to watch us still.

The West Brom connections in other teams that day were all over the place. Most notably Dean Kiely pulling of some cracking saves and Jerome Thomas with the assist for THAT Crystal Palace equaliser.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 10:12:29 AM »
I had never seen the other games from the Great Escape. Seeing it in the format that MOTD put it out in just highlights what roller coaster the day was.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 11:43:46 AM »
yes really enjoyed watching that, hadn't realised what a big part Dean Kiely had played for us (as Charlton gk).

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 12:41:01 PM »
And Darren Fletcher bagged one versus Southampton, good man.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 03:45:15 PM »
I was playing cricket that day, but we were batting during the football so I was glued to a little radio. Didn't celebrate either Albion goal, kicked a sapling I happened to be passing when Johnson got yet another penalty, then went ballistic when Charlton equalised. The following 8 minutes plus stoppage time is probably the most nervous I've been in my entire life.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 03:19:41 AM »
I watched the 2nd half of the K-League game and throughly enjoyed it - maybe my standards have stopped to an all-time low...scrap that - i remember the Buckley days and once trying to convince myself that Paul Holmes was a good player.

On to the game - the fake crowd noise was actually quite good, couldn't hear players swearing although if they did I wouldn't have known being as it's Korea... There were some weird moments; people on the bench not wearing masks properly, fist taps at the end but then rubbing people's hair. All in all i think behind closed doors can be enjoyable on TV and I didn't notice a distinct lack of effort or care so hopefully that way forward may work here.

Went to South Korea for the 2002 wc and the people/fans there were brilliant, and not aloof like the Japanese when we went over there for the England vs Brazil game.

Back to you mentioning the k league, a team there has just been fined for putting s ex dolls in the stands to improve the atmosphere.