Author Topic: Roy Hodgson  (Read 144161 times)

albion59

• Senior Baggie

Re: Would you want Roy in charge next season?
« Reply #375 on: February 13, 2012, 08:54:16 AM »
If we could produce yesterdays performance at home, there would be no complaints, shows what we can do when Roy takes off the shackles with a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3, whatever it was!
spot on mate hope after yesterday this happens if it does i believe we could beat anyone if not, well.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #376 on: February 13, 2012, 09:23:16 AM »
It's depend on our home form,if he can improve the results at home,I support him to in charge next season.If he can't... :-\
The PRIDE of midlands

mateinone

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #377 on: February 13, 2012, 11:16:15 AM »
take it  you dont buy a st then? the point is if you bought something from a store/shop and it didnt work you would take it back and have a refund that is what its like at home. and yes i go away aswell.

No I don't for West Brom because I am over in Australia. I have however spent my money to come over and watched them and I was paying around $1200 a year for my season tickets to my AFL club Carlton, all this whilst watching them go through their worst period in their history.... To put it in soccer terms, it every 4th game for 4 years we averaged about a 5-0 or 6-0... We finished last 3 years in a row and were simply horrible...

Was it horrible and painful and just plain disgusting to watch and spend money on????? Yeah it was, but they are my football club and so I chose to support them.

So yes everyone has the option of paying or not paying to support their club...
But suggesting that I say what I said because I don't pay for a ST is not accurate. If I was living in England there is zero doubt I would be a season ticket holder and when I move to the US this year I will follow a club and no doubt be a season ticket holder there as well.

clintsmoker

« Reply #378 on: February 13, 2012, 11:30:21 AM »
time to go. Thanks Roy but you just aren't part of our system. Safety first is dull and the last ten years at the hawthorns have been electric. You seem to be bullet proof though. If we'd lost to Wolves the shouts from Albion fans for you to go would have seen this vote very different indeed. Just when it seems we can take no more you pull a rabbit from the hat away from home again and again. So if you must stay, good luck to you.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #379 on: February 13, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
I voted no earlier in the census and its still no based on our home performances.
A blind man on a galloping hoss can see that 4-5-1 suits us yert he still plays 4-4-2 at home.
Get the home form sorted Roy and I can be swayed  ;)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Mulumbu99

« Reply #380 on: February 13, 2012, 11:43:16 AM »
time to go. Thanks Roy but you just aren't part of our system. Safety first is dull and the last ten years at the hawthorns have been electric. You seem to be bullet proof though. If we'd lost to Wolves the shouts from Albion fans for you to go would have seen this vote very different indeed. Just when it seems we can take no more you pull a rabbit from the hat away from home again and again. So if you must stay, good luck to you.

you mean the last ten years of going up and down up and down up and down and it would of continued if roy didn't come in last season and is currently keeping us up yet again?

oldhill baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #381 on: February 13, 2012, 02:07:26 PM »
IMO - best manager we've had in the 30 years I've been a supporter by a country mile....
Baggie forever!!!!

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #382 on: February 13, 2012, 02:30:33 PM »
I voted no earlier in the census and its still no based on our home performances.
A blind man on a galloping hoss can see that 4-5-1 suits us yert he still plays 4-4-2 at home.
Get the home form sorted Roy and I can be swayed  ;)
I dont get it, if our away/ home form was reversed you would want him to stay I presume? Yet our points tally would be exactly the same so whats the problem?? Isn't it harder to win away in the premiership, yet only Man Utd have a better away record than us, surely the man deserves some credit for that? Not mentioning the double over the dingles and a win at Seal Park and not forgetting the end of season we had last season. Overall he has had a magnificent 12 months, I dont get what some of our fans want or expect from a manager anymore, especially the ones who think Derek McInnes can come in and do a better job (based on what evidence??)

Roys record of won 15 drawn 10 and lost 16 in with the big boys is very good IMO, even when we are losing it is by the odd goal these days in games that we could have easily won but for poor finishing and bad luck/ decisions
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #383 on: February 13, 2012, 02:36:46 PM »
I dont get it, if our away/ home form was reversed you would want him to stay I presume? Yet our points tally would be exactly the same so whats the problem?? Isn't it harder to win away in the premiership, yet only Man Utd have a better away record than us, surely the man deserves some credit for that? Not mentioning the double over the dingles and a win at Seal Park and not forgetting the end of season we had last season. Overall he has had a magnificent 12 months, I dont get what some of our fans want or expect from a manager anymore, especially the ones who think Derek McInnes can come in and do a better job (based on what evidence??)

Roys record of won 15 drawn 10 and lost 16 in with the big boys is very good IMO, even when we are losing it is by the odd goal these days in games that we could have easily won but for poor finishing and bad luck/ decisions

Very very true about the form been reversed and people would more than likely want him to be here.

It just shows it is down to EXPECTATION.

Something we don't have away from home yet have at home...

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #384 on: February 13, 2012, 02:47:59 PM »
I just worry for who would take over...

Our away record is AMAZING.... simply fantastic... Champions' league level.

Our home form is very poor. It's an oddity of life.

I'd keep Roy for one simple reason, HE KEEPS US HERE! No one else does or ever has (barring Robson's fluke season)

I want to follow Albion in the Prem, therefore i want Roy here and when England go for Redknapp i think he'll sign for another 12 months. 
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Political Cake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

• Oh So Fabulous

« Reply #385 on: February 13, 2012, 03:17:36 PM »
He's here to keep us in this division, and so far has done a grand job of it. Personally, I can't see how he could have been doing much better, points wise, and personally I don't think anyone else could have done better.
Going by the "Jeremy Peace's (patent pending) Economic Survival Scheme", the club would want to keep him at all costs for the moment, and would be hoping the England post gets filled pretty quickly.

And, on this occasion, I'm going to have to side with them, since there's still use to be made or Roy yet. Dare I say it, we are not a consolidated team in the Premier League yet, and I expect Roy or someone of a similar calibre (god knows who) to be here playing the same type of football untill we are, which could take years.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill
WestBromwichAlbion

clintsmoker

« Reply #386 on: February 13, 2012, 03:36:36 PM »
you mean the last ten years of going up and down up and down up and down and it would of continued if roy didn't come in last season and is currently keeping us up yet again?
a number of points. Roy did well last season - After, and this is key, he realised his 442 approach was simply not going to work. His first couple of games in charge he tried to implement what he has done this season and luckily for us he realised that it wasn't the right time for a wholesale change to tactics. Let's remember he dropped PO for Fortune against Stoke which at the time was madness.  After two poor performances against Wolves and Stoke in which we were lucky to get 1-1 draws (better second half against stoke when po came on) he reverted to 451 and that saved him and the club.
He is also the first to pay tribute to RDM and it is worth remembering that Roy has come to manage Albion after a number of years of the club building a strong foundation.
I personally feel that Roy was over cautious in the summer with his attitude to this season when he should have been boosting the players confidence and expectations with, what is after all , the strongest squad we have ever had and capable of finishing 8th. He is now starting to realise that and has started talking about climbing the table and perhaps even reverting to 451.
He is without a doubt a good coach. I see Olson has come out to vouch for that and I believe it but if he insists on playing 442 and preferring caution to attack then he has to go.
This season has been a strange one to say the least but ultimately this is about our style of football not where we are in the league and how many points we have.
I don't pay to watch Albion as I have better things to do with my money than line players pockets but if I did I'd seriously question that now because football is all about entertainment and we just aren't serving it up.

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #387 on: February 13, 2012, 05:40:19 PM »
Depends on how far the Chairman is willing to back him this summer.

If he's willing to take that 'next step' then yes, RH all the way.
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

nickyt

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #388 on: February 13, 2012, 05:55:25 PM »
can't believe people who say they would rather watch West Brom play well but lose and get relegated? How can a football fan honestly say that? I don't want to see us playing Doncaster, Peterborough etc I want to see us playing Manchesters United and City, Liverpool, Arsenal. I've had enough of being the big team in the championship. We are building for a long term premier league stay and Roy understands how to do that. Sure it isn't pretty, but so far it has been effective. I don't care where we win our games as long as we are winning and picking up the points somewhere.

We have to target being a team like Stoke now, they took their time to consolidate their position but then you move up in the hierarchy each time you survive, and can improve the team and get better and better players and keep moving up. I'm happy to take a couple of seasons of getting in the prem cash and then we can look to build.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #389 on: February 13, 2012, 05:59:22 PM »
Yesterday saw a return to possession based football. If that was to continue, especially at home, then I dont mind. What I cant take is much more of the rubbish he has served up at home this season where we play like the away team with the sole purpose of counter attacking.
Boing Boing

jjb0rdell0

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #390 on: February 13, 2012, 06:17:57 PM »
Persist with a 4-5-1 and keep us playing like that...stay as long as you want...

Play us like you play us in home games instead and id like you to leave

AlbionLegend

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #391 on: February 13, 2012, 06:26:21 PM »
Persist with a 4-5-1 and keep us playing like that...stay as long as you want...

Play us like you play us in home games instead and id like you to leave

My feelings exactly, it's in Roy's hands really.
I've got those West Bromwich Blues!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #392 on: February 13, 2012, 06:28:33 PM »
Yesterday saw a return to possession based football. If that was to continue, especially at home, then I dont mind. What I cant take is much more of the rubbish he has served up at home this season where we play like the away team with the sole purpose of counter attacking.
Fully agree with that,i also think if he doesnt get the England job he will want a step up in quality of players bought into the club to continue building and that will depend on how much JP will pay.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #393 on: February 13, 2012, 06:29:10 PM »
 Can't believe some people best manager we have had for 30 odd years wins at Villa Park and the Britannia, yeaterday's mauling of the dingles.Like Roy has said we have been unlucky at home 5 of those defeats could easily have been draws and we would be on 34 points.There's an old saying" You don't know what you've got till it's gone".People should think about what they wish for.

clintsmoker

« Reply #394 on: February 13, 2012, 06:51:31 PM »
can't believe people who say they would rather watch West Brom play well but lose and get relegated? How can a football fan honestly say that?

the pro Hodgson camp seem to boil it down to this basic argument that if we revert to good football we'll get relegated. Nothing can be further from the truth. He himself kept us up by advocating attacking 451 (although reluctant) RDM didn't put us in the bottom three at all as far as I can remember and Mowbray lost his bottle and turned an attacking side into a pass it sideways outfit through lack of a striker. Roy has two quality strikers now (po + Long) and we've spent a lot of this season long balling it.
As it happens I remember going to the play of final against Derby with my father who is a long time season ticket holder and although it felt horrible losing I turned to him and said 'well at least you'll see a lot of home wins next year'. I can't think of anything worse than turning up to the hawthorns paying a lot of money to watch more of this drivel but be pleased that we are still in the prem battling to achieve mid table mediocrity. At least lets play some decent football. We have the squad, we had the style now all we need is the manager and the tactics

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #395 on: February 13, 2012, 07:17:50 PM »
The thing is we have been playing rubbish and losing at home. I'd like him to stay because I think we'd probably struggle to improve on him. When I hear the likes of Mcinnes and Appleton mentioned it really worries me. One thing I would say is that it is pretty obvious what our best formation is yet someone with as much experience as Roy has changed things for the worse especially at home. We have tough games coming up but we aleays seem to perform better against better sides. We'll be ok I reckon and I have a feeling Roy will stay on for at least another season.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #396 on: February 13, 2012, 07:26:30 PM »
we have to have patience, 6 wins on the road is really beyond fluke as often we have ground out wins by astute defending and superbly worked goals. we are so nearly there and i can see it. we have been unlucky at times at home but we can turn it around, although some of our performances have been poor but unhelped by the awful atmosphere. the players and managers are starting to believe we can push onwards and upwards and i believe so too. COYB

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #397 on: February 13, 2012, 07:27:14 PM »
the pro Hodgson camp seem to boil it down to this basic argument that if we revert to good football we'll get relegated. Nothing can be further from the truth. He himself kept us up by advocating attacking 451 (although reluctant) RDM didn't put us in the bottom three at all as far as I can remember and Mowbray lost his bottle and turned an attacking side into a pass it sideways outfit through lack of a striker. Roy has two quality strikers now (po + Long) and we've spent a lot of this season long balling it.
As it happens I remember going to the play of final against Derby with my father who is a long time season ticket holder and although it felt horrible losing I turned to him and said 'well at least you'll see a lot of home wins next year'. I can't think of anything worse than turning up to the hawthorns paying a lot of money to watch more of this drivel but be pleased that we are still in the prem battling to achieve mid table mediocrity. At least lets play some decent football. We have the squad, we had the style now all we need is the manager and the tactics

A. We've spent a lot of the season long balling it?

B. Revert to good football and get relegated?

C. At least lets play some decent football?

D. All we need is the manager and the tactics?

More holes in this argument than the wolves defence in my opinion. I just think we sometimes confuse poor results with poor football. To me these are two totally different things

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Could Hodgson be sacked?
« Reply #398 on: February 13, 2012, 07:30:45 PM »
If we carry on playing a central front man and a 5 man midfield and put the emphasis back on playing with the ball rather than without it, like we did today, then we can go back to the form that made us so hard to beat last year. Lets hope Hodgson has come back to his senses.

I agree. Putting Odemwingie out wide gives the team so much more balance and turning him around so that he faces the goal makes all the difference to the way he plays.

clintsmoker

« Reply #399 on: February 13, 2012, 08:20:03 PM »
mate seriously. Listen to the fans, watch the games. Roy is convinced we have been unlucky on numerous occasions. Others just think that we are predictable and flat. That's not even mentioning games where we just didn't even bother to turn up (liverpool , Arsenal etc)