Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD  (Read 1310220 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD
« Reply #6275 on: July 26, 2021, 11:37:38 AM »
Why would anyone in England hire Terry? He has a dark cloud hanging over him, so many controversies and no experience either. I could half get a league 2 side if they wanted the publicity but nothing suggests he will be a good manager
Boing Boing

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6276 on: July 26, 2021, 11:48:45 AM »
I agree with the above view on Terry and I am mightily relieved he wasn't seriously considered for our job.

Unfortunately the Chelsea "Leader and Legend" bollox cuts a lot of ice in some boardrooms and you just know football people are very quick to forgive past sins if they think they can get an edge in the here and now.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 12:25:24 PM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6277 on: July 26, 2021, 12:04:32 PM »
I just read that Terry has left simply so he can take a job if one should arise instantly rather than trying to sort severance 'in-play'. Not rumoured to be heading anywhere directly.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 12:56:59 PM by gazberg »

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6278 on: July 26, 2021, 12:53:41 PM »
Derby & Terry, marriage made in heaven  :-\
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6279 on: July 26, 2021, 01:01:25 PM »
Derby & Terry, marriage made in heaven  :-\

Derby would be a foolish move.  I didnt realise how much of a mess they were in until I read a story yesterday.

Apparently they only have 8 recognised first team players. They had been unable to sign anyone but the EFL have granted them permission to sign 4 players. They can only be loans or currently unemployed though and i suspect probably not on big wages.

The teams that play Derby early should have an advantage. Who knows if they will be allowed (or even able) to do more before the end of the window.  We play them shortly after the first international break in mid September.  Shame it isnt 3 weeks earlier.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6280 on: July 26, 2021, 05:00:11 PM »
Derby would be a foolish move.  I didnt realise how much of a mess they were in until I read a story yesterday.

Apparently they only have 8 recognised first team players. They had been unable to sign anyone but the EFL have granted them permission to sign 4 players. They can only be loans or currently unemployed though and i suspect probably not on big wages.

The teams that play Derby early should have an advantage. Who knows if they will be allowed (or even able) to do more before the end of the window.  We play them shortly after the first international break in mid September.  Shame it isnt 3 weeks earlier.

You missed out the Wayne Rooney story that just broke. Their manager caught in a hotel room, sleeping after meeting them in a nightclub. Hardly the kind of solid homelife/role model a football team needs in terms of their manager.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6281 on: July 26, 2021, 05:55:43 PM »
You missed out the Wayne Rooney story that just broke. Their manager caught in a hotel room, sleeping after meeting them in a nightclub. Hardly the kind of solid homelife/role model a football team needs in terms of their manager.

Unless that hotel boasts the fountain of youth, those pictures are very old.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6282 on: July 26, 2021, 08:02:27 PM »
In further you couldn't make it up news from  Derby County

Derby midfielder Jason Knight’s going to miss up to 12 weeks after getting injured in training.

The person who tackled him?

His manager, Wayne Rooney.

It's a car crash it really is.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 10:32:37 PM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6283 on: July 26, 2021, 08:19:32 PM »
Knight, Sibley, Bird and Buchanan are all reasonably rated youngsters. I bet their agents are itching to get them out.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6284 on: July 27, 2021, 01:30:13 PM »
Sky Sports reports;
DERBY'S NIGHTMARE CONTINUES...

Wayne Rooney's nightmarish pre-season took another negative turn after it emerged it was the Derby manager himself who was responsible for the ankle injury which ruled midfielder Jason Knight out for up to three months.

Derby have only nine senior players registered with the club - two of those goalkeepers - less than two weeks before the start of the new Sky Bet Championship season, and so Rooney has been joining in with training to make up the numbers.

But the manager went in for a 50-50 challenge with Knight while the team were training at Pennyhill Park in Surrey last week, injuring the Republic of Ireland international's ankle.

Knight is a key absentee for Derby having played in all but three Championship games last season.

It comes as Derby continue to negotiate for a relaxation to their transfer embargo.

Derby have got big problems when the manager crocks one of their key remaining players!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 01:36:35 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6285 on: July 27, 2021, 01:37:21 PM »
Rooney should just get his boots back on, he’s needed and is way out of his depth as a Manager.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6286 on: July 27, 2021, 02:42:37 PM »
I've just been killing some time looking at squads, is it too early for predictions?

Fulham should win the league. Player for Player I have roughly 7 of theirs making our first 11. Strongest squad in the division by far.

Sheffield United I have second, purely because of firepower. I saw something the other day stating that McBurnie, Brewster, Sharp and Mcgoldrick have 230 championship goals between them. They also have an England Youth International in reserve. They seem to have strikers for all scenarios.

Third I have Bournemouth, which surprised me.  Mepham and Kelly have both been highly rated young centre backs and have decent experience now, so I'd expect them to be fairly solid at the back. Solanke and Danjuma will both get goals again. 

We desperately need to strengthen if we are to compete for automatic promotion. 

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6287 on: July 27, 2021, 03:40:07 PM »
Tend to agree Johnny. Sheffield Utd have an formidable strike force for this division paired with a very good manager. If they won the title I'd not be surprised at all. Fulham meanwhile have the best squad and in Marco Silva, somebody who a few years ago was very exciting.

At the moment I make us third favorites over Bournemouth as I still expect us to make some signings, but I am slightly nervous going into the new season with Zohore and Phillips as our centre forward options and a generally tired looking team. There's a lot of pressure on players who had poor seasons last time out to become top players again.
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6288 on: July 27, 2021, 03:45:21 PM »
Top 3 for me are ourselves, Fulham and Sheff Utd. The EFL is pretty pants really. Need a 20 goal striker and if we get that I'd expect to see us promoted.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6289 on: July 27, 2021, 04:49:40 PM »
I think that promotion is going to be a process that takes longer than one season.  Most real change in any organisation takes more than one session.  If we did manage to be promoted next season we would probably not be strong enough to stay up.  From his interviews, I think that this is what VI thinks too.

If we make the play-offs and gain a better reputation for exciting rather than stultifying low block football we might attract some young players as per Brentford.   
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6290 on: July 27, 2021, 07:38:13 PM »
In further you couldn't make it up news from  Derby County

Derby midfielder Jason Knight’s going to miss up to 12 weeks after getting injured in training.

The person who tackled him?

His manager, Wayne Rooney.

It's a car crash it really is.

Not a car crash. That was the situation with Stephen Keogh and the other two lads. :)

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6291 on: July 31, 2021, 07:54:35 AM »
I’ve just listened to the ‘Not the top 20’ podcast season preview.

General feeling is the division is week this year and the relegates sides have as big an advantage as ever.

They have Fulham winning the league, who incidentally have 19 players who have won promotion to the prem before, 10 of those have done it twice. That’s crazy know how and championship experience.

They have us second, Sheffield United third, Bournemouth 4th, Boro 5th and QPR 6th.

They think Boro, QPR, Luton, Birmingham, Peterborough, Hull, Blackpool will have good seasons (relatively) and Derby, Reading, Huddersfield Swansea and Bristol City will have shockers.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6292 on: July 31, 2021, 08:11:44 AM »
Oh to be a fly on the wall when they repeat their thoughts about Bristol City to Nigel Pearson......  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6293 on: July 31, 2021, 08:33:51 AM »
Oh to be a fly on the wall when they repeat their thoughts about Bristol City to Nigel Pearson......  ;D .

Haha didn’t they basically say he’s done nothing for 7 years?  He’d probably call them Ostrich’s

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #6294 on: August 01, 2021, 06:49:00 PM »
Russell Martin appointed as new gaffer at Swansea
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6295 on: August 01, 2021, 07:05:04 PM »
Russell Martin appointed as new gaffer at Swansea

Meanwhile...... Swansea's players release their wives from a number of locked cellars whilst simultaneously removing their chastity belts upon the news that John Terry is NOT the new gaffer at Swansea.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6296 on: August 01, 2021, 07:20:01 PM »
Meanwhile...... Swansea's players release their wives from a number of locked cellars whilst simultaneously removing their chastity belts upon the news that John Terry is NOT the new gaffer at Swansea.
Yeah, doubt there was much cause for concern under Cooper.
He looks like he could “ate an opple through a tennis racket” as me dear old nan used to say.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6297 on: August 04, 2021, 12:28:06 PM »
"Pete O'Rourke
@SportsPeteO
Fulham are closing in on the signing of Brazilian forward Rodrigo Muniz from Flamengo for £8million. Muniz was also a target for Middlesbrough. #FFC #Flamengo #Boro"

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6298 on: August 04, 2021, 06:22:10 PM »
What kind of player is Adam Armstrong?  Would he suit our system as our out and out CF if we went for him? I believe Blackburn are looking for £12m (hoping for £15m but know they wont get it)

Was just looking at EFL top scorers last season and with Pukki and Toney in the PL he was far and away the guy with the best record. Now we got £8.5m heading into the transfer chest from the Pereira sale i'd like to see us go for a CF so just thinking out loud who realistically could we get?

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6299 on: August 07, 2021, 04:02:02 PM »
Have a look through some of those starting XI's and benches today... Make no mistake it will be an absolute disaster if we finish outside the playoffs this season. Covid and parachute payments have killed this league.

It's a 4-horse race for me, I'd be amazed if anyone outside the 3 relegated teams and Bournemouth finish in the automatics.