Author Topic: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD  (Read 2372455 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD
« Reply #1275 on: May 25, 2013, 12:03:39 AM »
David Moyes beginning to make the changes at United - Mike Phelan and goalkeeping coach Eric Steele have left. Steele has been replaced by Chris Woods who worked with Moyes at Everton. Rene Maulensteen's future remains uncertain although if I was Moyes I'd be looking to keep him; a very good forward thinking coach who I'm surprised hasn't made the grade as a number one so far. Rumours are that Steve Round, the current assistant coach at Everton shall also make the switch to United.

Feel slightly sorry for Eric Steele who has tried very hard in improving David De Gea - even having Spanish lessons so they were able to communicate easier. No doubt that De Gea has improved a great deal this season.

Still have my doubts whether David Moyes is the man for Man United. With the return of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea, I can only see Man United suffering a spell on the sidelines. Ferguson has been a massive influence for Man United, especially with the aura he possesses, I just struggle to see David Moyes carrying the same presence - it'll be a new experience for him. I don't like to wish failure on any manager and especially not on David Moyes as I like him very much, he's done a terrific job at Everton, but United failing to win silverware will open the league up providing Manchester City and Chelsea with a great chance to put forward their dominance - much the same way United have dominated the last twenty years and Liverpool the twenty years prior to that. Arsenal also have an ideal chance to try and close the gap between themselves and United - if they can't do it now then they never will.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1276 on: May 25, 2013, 11:01:03 AM »
David Moyes is not the right man.At least we should see a turn of tide next season
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1277 on: May 25, 2013, 11:25:30 AM »
Moyes hasn't won a trophy's of yet and you always say that you winning your first trophy is also the hardest one. I will be interested to see what players come and go this summer. I see Chelsea and Man City getting stronger this summer. So it will be a really tough season for Moyes.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1278 on: May 25, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »
without being too disrespective of David Moyes, the job at Utd is one of the biggest in the world and needed a coach of proven winning ability. if thinks dont go so well the crowd will soon turn against him. having daid that he is a decent guy and i hope he does well.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1279 on: May 25, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »
I hope Moyes does well at Man United, i am one of the few who dont hate them, but i also like him, he come across as a good genuine bloke who is obviously a good coach and i am glad Man United backed a british coach and probably are looking at it as a longer term appointment rather than the Chelsea way of changing manager every month!

However i do think it will be interesting to see if the proof is in the pudding with Moyes as i think as quite often is done in the media, they attach themselves to something and build it up. With Moyes i think its a myth that he has had no money to spend, he has a money to spend and spent big, okay he has brought money back in but people portay as though Everton are some little club he has performed miracles at, i dont agree, Everton are a big club and should be aiming top 6 every season, they have been in the premier league every season and in the past have spent figures around Lescott £7m, Baines £7m, Yakubu £14m, Andy Johnson £10m, Yobo £6, Feillani £15m to name a few, thats before the likes of your Howards, Jagielkas, Jelvics, etc, etc Everton have spent very big in the past on some very ordinary players.

To be fair they have got some bargains too and he deserves every credit for that and he seems well thought of at Everton by players, staff and fans but the old he has done miracles on a shoestring wont wash if Man United dont win stuff, every transfer will be maginified and he hasnt had that before and also he has never actually won a trophy, so i think this is a big time for Moyes, i hope he succeeds but i also think Fergie isnt stupid and probably knew now was the time to leave as i think this is one of the most average Man United sides for many years (although they are still a lot better than anyone else!) But i expect City and Chelsea to catchup next season so its very key who Moyes signs to keep Man United ahead.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1280 on: May 25, 2013, 02:23:15 PM »
Moyes is on a hiding to nothing ,the united fans were even singing about him playing like fergies boys?
They should have put a foreign interim coach in for 1 year to break the seal , now watch the pressure and scrutiny every time he loses or one of his signings makes an error , I think he may be gone by Christmas .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1281 on: May 25, 2013, 03:24:39 PM »
Moyes is a very good manager, I'm sure he'll do well and I hope he does.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 03:33:30 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
the regime don't like it man

MHB WBA

• WBA Newbie

Pride of the midlands, we know what we are!

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1283 on: May 27, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »
It's OK I guess, atm I don't think it's as good as the old one but then again it's the old one I recognise as Everton's, give it time and I'm sure It'll be fine and accepted. I did the same with the last redesign of our badge (although I was about 12 when that happened) and that wasn't even that large a redesign. Seven years later and I really like it!!

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1284 on: May 28, 2013, 12:16:16 AM »
They could have mucked it up far worse. In fact, I'd wager that the ad agency responsible submitted far more bizarre designs which were all rejected by the club. Everton fans should just be grateful they're still playing in blue and let it slide.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1285 on: May 28, 2013, 01:56:55 PM »
Roberto Martinez has resigned as Wigan boss.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1286 on: May 28, 2013, 02:54:22 PM »
The way Dave Whelan goes on about him, you would think he is destined for Real Madrid. Fair play he won the FA CUP, but he also got relegated. He had a decent team but its seems he didn't coach them on how to defend. Can't see him doing well at Everton.
BOING BOING

MHB WBA

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #1287 on: May 29, 2013, 03:04:53 AM »
What do you think about clubs 'mordnising' badges.
20000 people have signed to petition the not use the ugly (in my opinon) crest.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-22679092
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:30:21 AM by Quakes Fan »
Pride of the midlands, we know what we are!

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1288 on: May 29, 2013, 08:49:35 AM »

Well I think ours went pretty well; looks a lot better on kits than the old one, and included our name which had been missing. In this day and age football teams are a global brand and modernised logos and crests are deemed necessary for that brand's success. To a certain extent I like them, but looking at the MLS with every single crest looking like a graphic designers wet dream then I can see why total modernisation wouldn't go down well in our more traditional league.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1289 on: May 29, 2013, 08:58:29 AM »

In fairness I think last season's badge looks a lot better. However, the new version appears to be a much more accurate portrayal of Prince Rupert's Tower so in that sense it is actually probably more traditional than last season's version.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1290 on: May 29, 2013, 10:42:38 AM »
In fairness I think last season's badge looks a lot better. However, the new version appears to be a much more accurate portrayal of Prince Rupert's Tower so in that sense it is actually probably more traditional than last season's version.
I saw a quote (can't remember the paper) that the tower looked like a Hobbit house. Well, Prince Rupert's Tower DOES look like a Hobbit house. what we they expecting, Barad Dur?

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1291 on: May 29, 2013, 11:16:35 AM »
Well I think ours went pretty well; looks a lot better on kits than the old one, and included our name which had been missing. In this day and age football teams are a global brand and modernised logos and crests are deemed necessary for that brand's success. To a certain extent I like them, but looking at the MLS with every single crest looking like a graphic designers wet dream then I can see why total modernisation wouldn't go down well in our more traditional league.

I recall reading somewhere that the NBA has a single company which all teams are required to employ for creating new and updated logos. Years ago there was a round of redesigns all at the same time in which a number of teams all had their animal logos "toughened up". Chicago's bull and Memphis' grizzly got angrier, Minnesota's wolf turned rabid, Atlanta's hawk grew some sabre-like talons, etc. If the NBA got hold of the throstle, it would have three-inch talons and blood dripping from its beak.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1292 on: May 29, 2013, 01:54:45 PM »
A lot of clubs including us and Manchester United changed badge purely to register it as a copyrighted image which I guess is why Everton have done the same now

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1293 on: May 30, 2013, 09:49:18 AM »
Gareth Bale and Suarez to Madrid i am hearing.Lukaku to Liverpool?
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1294 on: May 30, 2013, 09:23:47 PM »
Everton are interviewing Ralf Rangnick for their vacant manager's role.

Remember him?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 09:26:14 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1295 on: June 03, 2013, 02:39:33 PM »
Mourinho now confirmed as Chelsea manager... no one seen that coming  :P

Di Canio, Holloway, Mourinho. Some characters in the premier league next season.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1296 on: June 05, 2013, 08:26:30 PM »
Roberto Martinez appointed the manager of Everton on a four year deal.

He too, like David Moyes is going into a club with a big burdeon of expectation and having managed a small budget well at Wigan, Martinez will no doubt be doing the same at Everton as Kenwright will continue their prudency approach (although having spent well down the years).

I'm unsure on Martinez to be perfectly honest, I think he has been masked an awful lot due to the fact his sides play good football. Despite managing to win the FA cup, they went down with a whimper which is incredibly concerning given the way Wigan crumbled at times defensively (despite their performance at The Hawthorns). An awful lot was made about Martinez keeping them up but even Steve Bruce had Wigan firing in mid-table with 11th and 14th placed finishes. That aside, I reckon he'll do a standard job, nothing more, nothing less. I can't see them barking up the European trees and they are too a good side to be fighting it out down at the other end.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1297 on: June 05, 2013, 11:10:46 PM »
Roberto Martinez appointed the manager of Everton on a four year deal.

He too, like David Moyes is going into a club with a big burdeon of expectation and having managed a small budget well at Wigan, Martinez will no doubt be doing the same at Everton as Kenwright will continue their prudency approach (although having spent well down the years).

I'm unsure on Martinez to be perfectly honest, I think he has been masked an awful lot due to the fact his sides play good football. Despite managing to win the FA cup, they went down with a whimper which is incredibly concerning given the way Wigan crumbled at times defensively (despite their performance at The Hawthorns). An awful lot was made about Martinez keeping them up but even Steve Bruce had Wigan firing in mid-table with 11th and 14th placed finishes. That aside, I reckon he'll do a standard job, nothing more, nothing less. I can't see them barking up the European trees and they are too a good side to be fighting it out down at the other end.

Some coaches are better at extracting the best from average players and some are better at manipulating and motivating excellent players. A few can do both well. Question is. Which is Martinez?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1298 on: June 05, 2013, 11:36:57 PM »
Some coaches are better at extracting the best from average players and some are better at manipulating and motivating excellent players. A few can do both well. Question is. Which is Martinez?

I guess we'll find out in the not to distant future.

Interesting to see that Martinez has also taken his assistant Graeme Jones. The person who is heavily influential in the training sessions enabling players to understand the philosophy and approach Martinez wants to implement. Quite surprised to see that he hasn't been offered an opportunity in management yet - apart from his near move to Swansea last summer.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1299 on: June 06, 2013, 12:55:04 AM »
I can see Everton struggling next season, at best being mid-table. Moyes was getting 100% out of the available squad over the years. I don't think that Martinez will achieve this, especially as he'll probably try to tweak the way that they play. It's not like Martinez has a great record in the Prem either (other clubs on similar budgets have done better).