Poll

Where do you think WBA will finish this season?

1st - Champions
17 (15.7%)
2nd - Automatic Promotion
23 (21.3%)
3rd - 6th - Play offs
55 (50.9%)
7th - 12th - Top Half
11 (10.2%)
13th - 18th - Bottom Half
1 (0.9%)
19th - 21st - Avoid Relegation
0 (0%)
22nd - 24th - Relegation
1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: 2021-2022 season predictions  (Read 6765 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

2021-2022 season predictions
« on: August 04, 2021, 09:27:47 PM »
It’s probably not the best day to ask this question, but putting emotion to one side for the time being, what are your expectations and predictions for the coming season?

My own:

Albion will have a decent season, but will end up finishing between 3rd and 5th. I don’t think we will lose many - possibly in the top 2 for least games lost, but Sheff Utd and Fulham will get top two, while we struggle to score enough goals to win consistently.

I think our player of the season will be between Grady Diangana or Alex Mowatt. Provided Diangana stays fit, he will be a major headache for most sides and might end up with the most goal contributions (goals/assists combined) in the division.

As I’ve touched on, I think we will struggle for goals this season. We have a strong defence and defensive midfield, plus a good defensive style with Ismael. Going forward however we lack much creative spark behind the front 3 and we don’t have a natural centre forward at this point.

On that goals subject, I’m going out on a limb (of sorts) and saying Karlan Grant continues to struggle for goals. He will possibly keep his place through hard work, and will get some penalties here and there, but I think he will have a Charlie Austin style season and only really get to about 10 goals overall.

Finally, I think we will get a decent cup upset this season, or at least provide some entertainment. Our high octane style will come up against a decent prem side and we will feature in a game that ends up being lauded by the pundits. Bielsa v Ismael maybe?
Boing Boing

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: 2021-2022 season predictions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 09:33:50 PM »
It’s probably not the best day to ask this question, but putting emotion to one side for the time being, what are your expectations and predictions for the coming season?

My own:

Albion will have a decent season, but will end up finishing between 3rd and 5th. I don’t think we will lose many - possibly in the top 2 for least games lost, but Sheff Utd and Fulham will get top two, while we struggle to score enough goals to win consistently.

I think our player of the season will be between Grady Diangana or Alex Mowatt. Provided Diangana stays fit, he will be a major headache for most sides and might end up with the most goal contributions (goals/assists combined) in the division.

As I’ve touched on, I think we will struggle for goals this season. We have a strong defence and defensive midfield, plus a good defensive style with Ismael. Going forward however we lack much creative spark behind the front 3 and we don’t have a natural centre forward at this point.

On that goals subject, I’m going out on a limb (of sorts) and saying Karlan Grant continues to struggle for goals. He will possibly keep his place through hard work, and will get some penalties here and there, but I think he will have a Charlie Austin style season and only really get to about 10 goals overall.

Finally, I think we will get a decent cup upset this season, or at least provide some entertainment. Our high octane style will come up against a decent prem side and we will feature in a game that ends up being lauded by the pundits. Bielsa v Ismael maybe?
can't argue with that, think we will finish in top six possibly fourth but like you our problem of scoring goals wii be our achilies heal all season.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 09:37:32 PM by paulosull »

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 09:45:19 PM »
Pretty much agree with the above
I think with our current squad 5th or 6th is the best we can hope for
If we get a striker, someone to replace Livermore and possibly another create type then maybe we can challenge for top 2

I expect Fulham , Sheffield United and Bournemouth to contest the top 3 with the current players available

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 09:46:28 PM »
If we get a striker, someone to replace Livermore and possibly another create type then maybe we can challenge for top 2

I expect Fulham , Sheffield United and Bournemouth to contest the top 3 with the current players available
sneaky feeling that Qpr will do well

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 09:50:16 PM »
It’s only one game and early in the season but I think Fridays opener against Bournemouth will be a good benchmark. Win and I will feel much more optimistic about what’s to come. At this point I would take a draw as I expect to be competing with them all season. Top 2 would be amazing anything less than top 6 would be very disappointing.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 09:50:45 PM »
The main rivals are Sheff Utd, Fulham and Bournemouth based purely on financial state, but QPR, Middlesborough and maybe Cardiff could all challenge the top 6, while Blackburn are now likely to get around £15m-£20m for Armstrong so could reinvest.

We should however have enough to get top 6 - my most likely position has us 4th with a Fulham 2019-20 style season.
Boing Boing

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 09:56:45 PM »
Bookmakers have us as second favourites behind Fulham took us at 11/ 2 each way to get promoted.

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 10:09:46 PM »
Mid-table at best.
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 10:11:33 PM »
I’ve predicted we will finish 4th as things stand, Behind Fulham, Sheffield United and Bournemouth.  That could change by the end of the window. If we sell Pereira for £20m I suspect we will spend around £6m and I don’t think it will be enough. 

Had we got £45m-£47m for Johnstone and Pereira which I had hoped, I think we’d have spent £15-£18m and challenged for 1st.

I think we will blitz some teams, as seen in 2nd half of the blue friendly, but I think we will struggle to maintain the intensity at times with injuries, squad depth and amount of fixtures all causing us problem.

A couple of random predictions
- I’m going to back Grant to get 14/15
- I think we will barely see Kipre
- Johnstone will stay
- Injuries to Diangana, Robinson and Philips will all miss at least 6 games with injuries and it will hurt us.
- Peterborough, Hull and Blackpool will all stay up with P’boro mid table
- Castro will get 15 plus appearances

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 10:46:53 PM »
I think you're right on Castro. Ismael has apparently made a comment in yesterday's press conference that has been interpreted by some as him saying our summer business might now be over. While Masi of the E&S has refuted this and said we are looking for a striker, he did give the impression that we are near enough done in the window. We might yet sign another player on top of the centre forward, but then the argument goes that we have 4 senior central midfielders at the club, plus Castro.

While I really disagree about our central mid options, if that is the case, Snodgrass has real fitness concerns and Sawyers might not adapt. It opens the door for Castro to be first reserve. I think he stands the best chance of the "kids", just ahead of Gardner-Hickman, Tulloch and Ingram.
Boing Boing

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 10:47:47 PM »
I was asked this question in the pub the other night and i will answer on here as i did then mid table is the best i can see.

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 12:14:45 AM »
At the moment around fifth place. We have the squad and options to hurt teams but I think we need to strengthen on order to finish higher.

I'm going to be positive! Currently I think we'll finish fourth.

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 12:21:36 AM »

I think we'll finish above Sheffield United.

Their season in the sun has ended.

Massive game on Friday.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2021, 09:14:33 AM »
I think Sheffield United and Fulham are for the automatics with us and Bournemouth close behind.

I worry about strength in depth which is where both of those clubs have an advantage of us. Both have made shrewd managerial appointments too.

The rest of the division is a lottery and always is, year after year.

There is something in me that reckons Grant may have a good season this year. I think this high energy, aggressive press football may suit him more than the powderpuff performances of Bilic & SA. I think the same applies to Diangana and Robinson too.

We’ll finish in the play offs on this current side, but if we can sign a forward and a central midfielder then there is no reason why we can’t go up automatically
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2021, 09:33:09 AM »
Friday is a must win - 6 pointer !!

But seriously
Karlan Grant will be the divisions top scorer,
Diangana will terrorise defences
Alex Mowatt will be pushing for an England call up
A rejuvenated Jake will dominate midfields with Mowatt running rampant alongside him
Johnstone will have record clean sheets and be Englands number 1 in the world cup winning side revered by all as the second Gordon Banks

Meanwhile Greasy is still recovering from twin medial ligament operations and likely to miss a second season
Dingles cataclysmic fall from grace and the Fosun directors prison sentences have made "that club" and its fans social pariahs through out the land

And best of all Guochan Lai has done one and left the club to the fans in a trust.

I love Diazapan !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2021, 09:35:19 AM »
Top 6 guaranteed, top 2 highly likely. Can only see Fulham or Bournemouth finishing above us.
VI will make us so difficult to beat, we'll be a nightmare to play against and will have enough quality to see off most teams.

Grant and Zohore both to get well into double figures

PoS Mowatt

Pereira will be a distant memory by the time we are celebrating in May.  8)

Dark horses for top 6 QPR

Sunderland to win League 1

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 09:35:35 AM »
Ok I am wearing my "Baggie Tinted" glasses

First...

with Fulham, 2nd a long way behind  :D

QPR, Bournemouth, Middlesbrough & Stoke  in the playoffs

Peterborough, Derby & Luton relegated
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 10:06:05 AM »
Ok I am wearing my "Baggie Tinted" glasses

First...

with Fulham, 2nd a long way behind  :D

QPR, Bournemouth, Middlesbrough & Stoke  in the playoffs

Peterborough, Derby & Luton relegated

I am with you on this one.

I also think that VI will get a tune out of Zohore, and Derby really are going to be a car crash this season.
MAGA!

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2021, 12:11:13 PM »
Without a proper centre forward (how many years have we been saying that for!) I feel nervous about the idea of competing for automatic promotion. 5th for me ATM.

However, other than the obvious contenders the competition is as weak as it's ever been; QPR, Boro seem like they could potentially make some in roads.

Player of Season: Grady, if fit. If not, I really think Matt Clarke will impress.

Top Scorer: Grant with 14 (few pens chucked in there).

Surprise: Not sure where - possibly in the full back areas - but I think a kid will come in and make a place in the team his own.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2021, 12:18:51 PM »
Do people want me to add a poll for approximate finishing position?

He/him

BlackCountryPride68

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2021, 12:31:05 PM »
Do people want me to add a poll for approximate finishing position?

Yes please. Play-offs for me.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2021, 12:48:29 PM »
Just had to remove a post calling a player a donkey, thought we were better than that on this forum, obviously not so if people want us to go back to the heavy handed moderating then carry on and we will crack down again.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2021, 12:52:16 PM »
I'm going for a play-off spot. I think Fulham, Sheff Utd and Bournemouth will finish above us.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2021, 12:58:10 PM »
I think Fritzl Palace had it right on the Pereira thread: we are a promotion contender, with some investment we could be a front runner. That's certainly how I read it. I listened to the Not Top 20 pod season preview this week, which gave some good insights into what the state of the Championship is currently, seems like a lot of clubs are weakened currently and those of us who have come down or have parachute money still coming in look far, far stronger.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2021, 01:01:02 PM »
I very rarely give predictions but I have a funny feeling that we will finish in the top two, yes the top 2. I believe that Valerien Ismael could be the new Gary Megson.  :o
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE