Author Topic: Valérien Ismaël leaves WBA  (Read 463934 times)

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

Valérien Ismaël leaves WBA
« on: June 24, 2021, 04:32:13 PM »
Officially announced by the club as our new head coach on a four year contract. Great news and look forward to seeing what he brings to us in terms of style of play and results

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/albion-appoint-valerien-ismael-head-coach

Quote from: WBA Official Website
West Bromwich Albion are delighted to confirm the appointment of Valérien Ismaël as the club’s new Head Coach.

Ismaël has signed a four-year contract at The Hawthorns after Albion agreed a compensation package with Barnsley. The Frenchman guided the Tykes to an impressive fifth-placed finish in the Sky Bet Championship last season.

The 45-year-old is set to arrive in the United Kingdom later this week and will follow Government COVID-19 quarantine rules prior to joining his first-team squad for pre-season training.   

Chief Executive Officer, Xu Ke, also known as Ken, is delighted to have recruited Ismaël and is confident the former Nuremberg, Wolfsburg, LASK and Barnsley boss is the right man to lead Albion into the new campaign and beyond.

He said: “I am delighted to welcome Valérien to The Hawthorns. Valérien has established a reputation as an excellent coach and I have been impressed by his professionalism, enthusiasm and hunger to succeed. His performance last season with Barnsley, and his coaching career to date, all point to a man who has a long, successful career in front of him. It is my hope that he is with us for at least the next four years.

“I am confident that by working together we will be able to achieve our goal of returning to the Premier League, but success is earned by building on strong foundations, and our plans must now look further into the future. For too long we have focused only on what is immediately in front of us. This means we have often neglected our long-term aspirations.

“We are all aware of what will be required in order to be successful and player recruitment will be of the utmost importance. Valérien and I will immediately focus on preparing the squad for the new season, working together with Ian Pearce, our Head of Recruitment, to secure talented transfer targets who will strengthen us for the challenges ahead, ensuring fans are once more proud to support this great club.

“I am excited to be working with Valérien and I am sure we will soon establish a strong relationship that will be to the benefit of the football club and its supporters.”
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 02:08:04 PM by MarkW »

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Valérien Ismaël - Head Coach
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 04:33:43 PM »
Joseph Masi Tweeted

BREAKING: Valerien Ismael is Albion's new head coach. He has signed a four year deal at The Hawthorns... #wba
Joseph Masi
@JosephMasi_Star
·
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 04:35:15 PM »
Welcome aboard the Good Ship Albion Valérien, I wish you every success
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 04:36:48 PM »
Joseph Masi Tweeted

“I feel really proud to have accepted this challenge and after talking with Ken about the project here, and how we would integrate a new identity, I’m ready to get to work. I feel a big responsibility but I’m ready for this job and I am delighted to be here." #wba
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 04:38:02 PM »
On Albion’s current squad and player recruitment, the former Barnsley boss said: “We have a good mix of young and experienced players in this squad and for sure we will need some new faces in certain positions - but the only massive change here will be the way we play and the formation.

Change of formation coming then !

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 04:39:32 PM »
Joseph Masi Tweeted

“My first task is to implement a new identity that the fans can enjoy and one where they can see the players are there for each other and give everything to win games. We have a clear plan and vision of where we want to go." #wba

CEO Ken: "I am confident by working together we will be able to achieve our goal of returning to PL but our plans must look further into the future. For too long we have focused only on what is immediately in front of us. This means we have often neglected long-term aspirations."

Ken ctd: Player recruitment will be of the utmost importance. Valérien & I will immediately focus on preparing the squad for the new season, working together with Ian Pearce, our Head of Recruitment, to secure transfer targets who will strengthen us for the challenges ahead."#wba
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 04:40:26 PM »
Welcome Valerien and good luck! I hope you are able to persuade the owners to part with some of their millions. You have a major rebuilding job in front of you.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 04:43:57 PM by royhan »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 04:40:44 PM »
Welcome to the club Valerian!! Let's hope it's a successful stay

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 04:41:17 PM »
Joseph Masi Tweeted

“My first task is to implement a new identity that the fans can enjoy and one where they can see the players are there for each other and give everything to win games. We have a clear plan and vision of where we want to go." #wba

CEO Ken: "I am confident by working together we will be able to achieve our goal of returning to PL but our plans must look further into the future. For too long we have focused only on what is immediately in front of us. This means we have often neglected long-term aspirations."

Ken ctd: Player recruitment will be of the utmost importance. Valérien & I will immediately focus on preparing the squad for the new season, working together with Ian Pearce, our Head of Recruitment, to secure transfer targets who will strengthen us for the challenges ahead."#wba

Nice to hear them talking about long-term aspirations instead of short term fixes as seems to have been our way of operating for quite some time now. Establishing an identity would be very welcome

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 04:43:13 PM »
Definatley a change in tack.  Slaven got only a two yeat contract, looks like this is more of a long term appointment.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 04:45:41 PM by tambag »

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2021, 04:43:38 PM »
Welcome Valerian!

Excited too see what you bring
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2021, 04:43:49 PM »
Great to have finally appointed someone. I think this is a really exciting appointment. Good statement from Ken too with regards to having a more long term plan.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 04:43:51 PM »
Gruess dich Valerien!  Viel Spass und Erfolg bei der Albion!

(just in case he's reading)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 04:46:10 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 04:43:56 PM »
Welcome Valerien and good luck, you are going to need it  ;)
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2021, 04:44:00 PM »
"Why 5pm? Whats wrong with 4:37pm? Why does it have to be exactly on the hour?"

I was so so close  ;D
Gera, Gera, Gera

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2021, 04:48:28 PM »
That's a relief then - welcome Valérien! I'm highly delighted by this news and the 4 year contract does send out a statement of intent by the club (reinforced by Ken's comments). It's a shame that Valérien's abroad at present and will have to quarantine (10 days?) when he returns to the UK, but there's stilll plenty he can do during that time anyway. It'll also give some Albion fans time to learn to spell his name properly!  ;D

Just to repost some stats for those who are concerned at the type of football we might be seeing, here are the figures for 70% of the games he's managed so far in his career:

PldWDLFA

I put it to you that averaging 2.1 goals for a game is unlikely to be the result of boring, attritional football.

Let's get behind him as he builds a side that we can all feel proud of! Hopefully the Board will be a help rather than a hindrance in this regard....

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2021, 04:49:42 PM »
Brilliant appointment. In Ken we trust

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2021, 04:50:09 PM »
It's refreshing to hear them talking about looking past the ends of their noses for the first time. Only took 5 years but better late than never.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2021, 04:50:48 PM »
Nice to hear them talking about long-term aspirations instead of short term fixes as seems to have been our way of operating for quite some time now. Establishing an identity would be very welcome
Indeed, I'm very pleased to see that Ken has acknowledged that and am intrigued to see what they do to progress it.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2021, 04:50:59 PM »
Joe Chapman
@ChapmanJ92
·
8m
Valerien becomes the first Albion boss to cost the club a compensation fee since Di Matteo from MK Dons in 2009. Albion have had ten managers since. #wba

10 Free transfers in 12 years !

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2021, 04:52:17 PM »
Anything about assistants/ backroom staff
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2021, 04:52:37 PM »
Happy that we've got the deal all sorted.

I like what I read in his first interview piece on the official site. Sounds like there's going to be a shake-up and the players will be learning a new way of playing and will have to improve their fitness and motivation.

About time we had a bit of shape up or ship out (to a degree). Let's hope for a successful few years, at least most fans seem to be behind the appointment so that's a good start :)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2021, 04:55:51 PM »
Four year deal that is a long term commitment. We now looking like it is Ken and Val show for the foreseeable future. Looks like the DOF role will be split up among CEO Head Coach Head of Recruitment and Head of Academy at first glance.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2021, 04:59:16 PM »
https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1408091062170787846

An interview he gave last month but I can't see it all, anyone with a Times account ?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2021, 05:02:08 PM »
The 4 year contract will send a message to any prima-donnas at the club who think they can sit around half-arsed waiting for him to get the push.
I personally cannot see a few players fitting into a high tempo, all energy system (Phillips / Sawyers and Zohore for starters)
The rhetoric is good, lets hope he gets off to a good start as that will set the tone for his tenure.
Like his words on young players too
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!