1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 145314 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #3525 on: June 21, 2021, 11:44:40 AM »
Fingers crossed that this goes through without further hitch and if it does credit to Ken for rescuing the situation after the absolute debacle of Wilder/Wagner. Although and I know I am being insanely optimistic here but pivoting from Wagner to Ismael does have a stylistic logic.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3526 on: June 21, 2021, 11:45:55 AM »
Fair play to Kenneth if they get this over the line.

(if anybody has seen peep show you'll understand why I've called him Kenneth)

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3527 on: June 21, 2021, 11:50:22 AM »
Valerien Ismael from Barnsley if they don't get promoted please.

Was my first choice from the beginning - delighted  :D
Twitter: @floydy1983

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3528 on: June 21, 2021, 11:59:26 AM »
Compo agreed now get contract negotiations done and start rebuild. 🤗

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3529 on: June 21, 2021, 11:59:33 AM »
West Brom have triggered Valérien Ismaël's release clause at Barnsley. He is expected to be appointed the new manager within 48 hours. (Source: BBC Sport)
My posts are my personal views and any links or external inclusions are not necessarily an endorsement by me.
I'm an ordinary bloke with no hidden agenda, here just to enjoy all things Albion etc.

It's all about opinions, so don't shoot the messenger if he/she has a different view to you!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3530 on: June 21, 2021, 12:05:11 PM »
Bring Mowatt at the Barnsley DoF down the M1 with you please Val.

You’d think Mowatt would be nailed on. I’d be looking at Marcondes too. Both good ages and both decent frees for the championship.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3531 on: June 21, 2021, 12:08:38 PM »
Nice to see it edging closer to an announcement. He has a lot of work to do with the current squad and I am looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3532 on: June 21, 2021, 12:12:42 PM »
Fair play to Kenneth if they get this over the line.

(if anybody has seen peep show you'll understand why I've called him Kenneth)

Called him Kenneth to take the curse off

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3533 on: June 21, 2021, 12:18:00 PM »
You’d think Mowatt would be nailed on. I’d be looking at Marcondes too. Both good ages and both decent frees for the championship.

Mowatt should absolutely nailed on.
Marcondes would be a good get.
Hamer from Cov as we've been linked continuously.
Dike in on loan, to carry on under Ismael.

Half the rebuild done, barely touched the (supposed) fees from SJ and MP.

Full of optimism today. It won't last, so I'll enjoy it for now.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 12:28:58 PM by jimmyj »

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3534 on: June 21, 2021, 12:24:22 PM »
Marcondes has alreayd been in talks with Barnsley as he's on a free but nothing near signed yet. Good business on a free.

Regardless will be an interesting season ahead, i hope he's merciless with the rubbish in the squad if funds allow. We will have to suffer some of them still but could it's great time to clear the decks.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3535 on: June 21, 2021, 12:29:51 PM »
Feels fresh this one , I'm sure there will be some ups and downs but I'm happy enough  8)
Dexy : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3536 on: June 21, 2021, 12:48:35 PM »
I'm really happy with this.

I was dreading the thought of who we might appoint but we've seemingly appointed a young, ambitious head coach with a good track record.

The football might be direct, but with a high press it will be an entertaining period for the club.

Hopefully we can get some good additions to supplement the existing squad and start to build again.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

KN22

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3537 on: June 21, 2021, 12:49:33 PM »
I'm really happy with this.

I was dreading the thought of who we might appoint but we've seemingly appointed a young, ambitious head coach with a good track record.

The football might be direct, but with a high press it will be an entertaining period for the club.

Hopefully we can get some good additions to supplement the existing squad and start to build again.

I totally agree. If we get this over the line I have to say a resounding well done to all concerned.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3538 on: June 21, 2021, 12:51:45 PM »
At least if they appoint Ismael it will be interesting to see what we get, rather than knowing what we would get with some of the other candidates mentioned.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3539 on: June 21, 2021, 01:14:56 PM »
Will be pleased with this appointment, the other candidates were frankly under whelming, will give me something to look forward to which was more than I was expecting.
Baggie in Southampton

tex

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3540 on: June 21, 2021, 01:30:38 PM »
An appointment like Bilic, something different. hope we are not arguing over him losing the plot in12 months time.

baggies_24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3541 on: June 21, 2021, 01:49:45 PM »
Can’t knock his record at Barnsley last season, got to say I’m excited to watch a team that’s going to aggressively press the ball next year.

As with everything the one big risk I see is the level of analytical data he’s going to have here compared to Barnsley. Barnsley are one of the better run clubs in the country in terms of player analysis, he’s not going to have the same level of analytical data available here, his success at Barnsley would have been down to his coaching & the clubs recruitment, can we get the right quality of player in to support him.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3542 on: June 21, 2021, 01:51:24 PM »
Can’t knock his record at Barnsley last season, got to say I’m excited to watch a team that’s going to aggressively press the ball next year.

As with everything the one big risk I see is the level of analytical data he’s going to have here compared to Barnsley. Barnsley are one of the better run clubs in the country in terms of player analysis, he’s not going to have the same level of analytical data available here, his success at Barnsley would have been down to his coaching & the clubs recruitment, can we get the right quality of player in to support him.

I'm only a phonecall away if Ismael needs an extra analyst  ;D I help a semi-pro basketball team, can't be that much difference  ;)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3543 on: June 21, 2021, 02:08:03 PM »

I find it hard to believe that Barnsley have a bigger and better analytical data team than we do, bearing in mind a) we have been playing in the Premiership with a budget they could only dream of and b) Allardyce is obsessed with data. We already have a head of analysis (Gerard Moore) and also a opposition analysis (Adam Johnson) both with staff working for them.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3544 on: June 21, 2021, 02:40:24 PM »
I have a good positive vibe about Ismael. It could have been much worse.
I doubt very much it will turn out to be old-fashioned kick and rush. The one fear you have with that, is that creative midfielders get made redundant. It would be ironic if Pereira was still here and got by-passed, but I assume you would still need players like him where the ball lands, so to speak! i.e. hovering around the edge of the opposition penalty box where they can apply the final assist.

It looks like it will be high energy box to box, so the players will need to be super fit. (Can see that being a problem for several).

I hope he uses wingers, or at least attacking wing backs, but that shouldn't be in conflict with his overall tactical philosophy.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3545 on: June 21, 2021, 02:41:57 PM »
I find it hard to believe that Barnsley have a bigger and better analytical data team than we do, bearing in mind a) we have been playing in the Premiership with a budget they could only dream of and b) Allardyce is obsessed with data. We already have a head of analysis (Gerard Moore) and also a opposition analysis (Adam Johnson) both with staff working for them.

They have Billy Beane as part of the consortium running them. He popularised the whole moneyball philosophy in the states. They may have the same data that we do, or have access to, but I'd bet they have better people analysing it.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3546 on: June 21, 2021, 02:43:01 PM »
An appointment like Bilic, something different. hope we are not arguing over him losing the plot in12 months time.

I'm very excited by Ismael's apointment. Well done to Ken and Lai, first for clearing Dowling's desk and now this. Finally I have a good feeling again!
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3547 on: June 21, 2021, 04:40:39 PM »
WOW I really can't remember an appointment being so universally popular, who are we going to blame lol.
I am really excited, if it comes off. still holding my breath.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #3548 on: June 21, 2021, 05:06:37 PM »
Hallelujah!
Hopefully this long drawn out saga will be coming to a close - it had got really boring.
Ismael’s appointment seems the right one if it comes off.
I was dreading the nightmare scenario of Pulis coming back!  😱

West Brom 2020/21
Like Sticky the Stick Insect who got stuck on a sticky bun

Matheus PEREIRA
Periera? Perreira? Perrera?  Perriara? Perrier? Who are they?

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3549 on: June 21, 2021, 05:13:58 PM »
Chuffed with this. Barnsley played some bonkers football at tine last year so im looking foward to some "what the f formation is this" moments hopefully.

Also probably spells the end for livermore being a nailed on started.....beautiful.