1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 448372 times)

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #1050 on: May 27, 2021, 09:52:41 AM »
Yeah, not sure what the alternative is.  Bring in a manager who will want to stay here forever no matter who comes knocking?

Its unreasonable to expect that. Who has that sort of manager now? Burnley is the only one I think of. And that's probably more to do with the fact that no-one fancies giving Dyche a bigger job.

keithowba86

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1051 on: May 27, 2021, 10:42:43 AM »
Will only take a bad season for Moyes and a good one for Lampard and the inevitable will happen

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1052 on: May 27, 2021, 10:44:36 AM »
I'm sure I read somewhere that the average 'life expectancy' of a PL manager is about 18 months - obviously skewed by a few clubs (like Watford and to some degree us having a few managers a season but equally Man U & Arsenal with SAF & AW at the other end).
So what is 'long term'?

Another name I think should be in the hat, but won't be as we'd have to buy him out of his contract would be Sean Dyche - constantly gets Burnley punching above their weight which is what we need to be doing

mini gaardsoe

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1053 on: May 27, 2021, 10:58:14 AM »
Another name I think should be in the hat, but won't be as we'd have to buy him out of his contract would be Sean Dyche - constantly gets Burnley punching above their weight which is what we need to be doing

And there's zero chance he's leaving Burnley to come to us.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1054 on: May 27, 2021, 11:05:59 AM »
Its no good turning our nose up at appointments because they don't plan on hanging around for the long haul.
Nuno was at Wolves for 4 years, I don't think that's unrealistic for us if we can find the right person. Managers having an average incumbency of 18 months is an unsustainable nonsense in my view.

Speaking of finding the right person, it seems likely that the Board must have known immediately after relegation was confirmed (if not sooner) that Allardyce wasn't going to stay. Therefore, they should be well on their way to finding a successor by now. The new manager should be here in time to have a say regarding the retained list.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 11:07:34 AM by WorcsWBA »

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1055 on: May 27, 2021, 11:07:45 AM »
Nuno was at Wolves for 4 years, I don't think that's unrealistic for us if we can find the right person.

Speaking of finding the right person, it seems likely that the Board must have known immediately after relegation was confirmed (if not sooner) that Allardyce wasn't going to stay. Therefore, they should be well on their way to finding a successor by now. The new manager should be here in time to have a say regarding the retained list.
if journalists are correct, interviews will be over the next fortnight.

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1056 on: May 27, 2021, 11:12:21 AM »
Nuno was at Wolves for 4 years, I don't think that's unrealistic for us if we can find the right person. Managers having an average incumbency of 18 months is an unsustainable nonsense in my view.

Fair point, but I think they are/were a bit of special case. I had this conversation a few times with my Wulf friends, and commented on how insulated their players (and Nuno) were from being poached by bigger clubs. Whereby most other clubs of their level (Saints, Newcastle, Leicester at the time) would regularly have their better players picked off by Liverpool, United and City, Wolves seemed not to suffer from this. The Mendes effect. No one wanted to antagonise the superagent. And I think that extended to Nuno as well. No big club wanted to run the risk of making an enemy of Mendes, so they left well alone.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1057 on: May 27, 2021, 11:19:11 AM »
Nixon saying Wilder still no.1 choice but still issues, has to be the pay, talking to others now.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1058 on: May 27, 2021, 11:22:19 AM »
I want Frank.
He's young, has something to prove and would come to us in the championship if agreeable.
He's not a football snob as far as I can tell by wanting to coach in the PL.
He seems eager to learn and will demand respect.
Because of his stature in the game I think he could talk to the magician and keep him for another season.
We don't know if he even wants to leave do we?
He may be happy here and might feel he owes us another 12 months to get back to the PL.
Also, Frank seems open and is a good talker with fans and press
He will improve our profile in the footballing world its a win win for me.
The ex sheffu guy is another dour Pullis, big Sam etc etc no to that guy from me.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1059 on: May 27, 2021, 11:23:54 AM »
if journalists are correct, interviews will be over the next fortnight.
If that's true, then I think the club has been sleeping on the job by not being further down the road than it is. They managed to get things agreed with Allardyce whilst Bilic was still in post.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1060 on: May 27, 2021, 11:32:22 AM »
If that's true, then I think the club has been sleeping on the job by not being further down the road than it is. They managed to get things agreed with Allardyce whilst Bilic was still in post.
difference was they actively wanted to keep Sam.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1061 on: May 27, 2021, 11:34:29 AM »
difference was they actively wanted to keep Sam.
Yes, but they must have known since at least May 9th (and quite possibly earlier) that Allardyce was leaving.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1062 on: May 27, 2021, 11:42:19 AM »
Interviews have already started according to Joe Masi.

The only two confirmed as being on the list are Wilder and Lampard.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1063 on: May 27, 2021, 11:51:32 AM »
According to some reports, Lampard is out of the running for the Palace job. 'Palace have moved on' according to it.
Eddie how is also out of the running.
Personally I'd settle for either one of those here.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1064 on: May 27, 2021, 11:54:03 AM »
Nixon saying Wilder still no.1 choice but still issues, has to be the pay, talking to others now.
Could be the issues are around recruitment, he isn’t/ wasn’t too keen on a DoF previously
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1065 on: May 27, 2021, 11:57:25 AM »
I'm leaning towards Lampard now.

- Point to prove
- links to good young loanees
- reputation to attract players in recruitment
- Only manager that may be able to persuade MP to stay.

Someone get Adrian Chiles to get in his ear.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1066 on: May 27, 2021, 11:58:53 AM »
Interviews have already started according to Joe Masi.

The only two confirmed as being on the list are Wilder and Lampard.

Masi with another 'scoop'

NSS!
MAGA!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1067 on: May 27, 2021, 12:00:16 PM »
According to some reports, Lampard is out of the running for the Palace job. 'Palace have moved on' according to it.
Eddie how is also out of the running.
Personally I'd settle for either one of those here.

Wasn't it reported the other week that Lampard had ruled himself out of the Palace job as he thought they needed too much of a rebuild and would end up in a relegation battle?

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBA.R.K

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1068 on: May 27, 2021, 12:02:54 PM »
Wasn't it reported the other week that Lampard had ruled himself out of the Palace job as he thought they needed too much of a rebuild and would end up in a relegation battle?

To be fair he's not wrong, it is one hell of a rebuild. I think I saw somewhere that they've got a whole starting 11 leaving!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1069 on: May 27, 2021, 12:09:19 PM »
To be fair he's not wrong, it is one hell of a rebuild. I think I saw somewhere that they've got a whole starting 11 leaving!

Think it's only 7 players so very similar to us. We'll most likely have to replace Johnstone, Pereira, AMN, Gallagher, Yokuslu and Diagne and then there's the likes of Gibbs, Austin and HRK(hopefully)..can't remember the others that are out of contract but we will need some decent first team squad players. Some of the U23's may be able to step up and maybe some of the players we have out on loan but it's still a big rebuild.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1070 on: May 27, 2021, 12:13:05 PM »
Think it's only 7 players so very similar to us. We'll most likely have to replace Johnstone, Pereira, AMN, Gallagher, Yokuslu and Diagne and then there's the likes of Gibbs, Austin and HRK(hopefully)..can't remember the others that are out of contract but we will need some decent first team squad players. Some of the U23's may be able to step up and maybe some of the players we have out on loan but it's still a big rebuild.

Have a scroll down, not sure if any have twelve month options but that's quite a list.....

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/crystal-palace/vertragsende/verein/873
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1071 on: May 27, 2021, 12:13:40 PM »
I want Frank.
He's young, has something to prove and would come to us in the championship if agreeable.
He's not a football snob as far as I can tell by wanting to coach in the PL.
He seems eager to learn and will demand respect.
Because of his stature in the game I think he could talk to the magician and keep him for another season.
We don't know if he even wants to leave do we?
He may be happy here and might feel he owes us another 12 months to get back to the PL.
Also, Frank seems open and is a good talker with fans and press
He will improve our profile in the footballing world its a win win for me.
The ex sheffu guy is another dour Pullis, big Sam etc etc no to that guy from me.
To respond to your points:
"He's young, has something to prove and would come to us in the championship if agreeable. "
> neither being young nor having a point to prove makes him a good manager.  It does make him inexperienced.
"He's not a football snob as far as I can tell by wanting to coach in the PL."
>  don't see how this is an argument
"He seems eager to learn and will demand respect. "
>  then learn by normal route of being a second in command and moving to a league 2 club
"Because of his stature in the game I think he could talk to the magician and keep him for another season."
>  it's conjecture to say the MP knew Lampard before he came to England
"He may be happy here and might feel he owes us another 12 months to get back to the PL."
>  irrelevant to his management capabilities
"Also, Frank seems open and is a good talker with fans and press"
>  can't argue with that, our profile is bad to risible

"The ex sheffu guy is another dour Pullis, big Sam etc etc no to that guy from me."
> I'm not a great fan of Wilder but he has achieved a lot more that Lampard coach-wise and done it with scant resources.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

WBA.R.K

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1072 on: May 27, 2021, 12:33:06 PM »
In other news, Sheffield United are set to name Jokanovic as manager according to the BBC.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1073 on: May 27, 2021, 12:34:51 PM »
Could be the issues are around recruitment, he isn’t/ wasn’t too keen on a DoF previously

Very true, forgot about that. Either way sounds and feels like a ballache already. I'd rather us move on.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1074 on: May 27, 2021, 12:40:07 PM »
Wilder is a xxxxxx good manager with a wealth of experience and a very impressive CV.

I just have a nagging doubt, wrong timing, achieved his peak.

If he gets the job I'll get right behind him, no problem.

There's just something inside me that is ringing alarm bells. Might just be me, I fully accept I might be wrong.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 12:41:43 PM by Atomic »