1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441344 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #1025 on: May 26, 2021, 01:41:18 PM »
Left field - Miroslav Klose. Has completed his Fußball Lehrer (highest German coaching qualification), and has been at Bayern Munich but is leaving this summer when his contract runs out.
Think that would be a gamble, as he's never managed before. Undoubtedly coaching some of the best players at Bayern and he was a top striker himself, but practical experience in charge is a must.     
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1026 on: May 26, 2021, 01:49:18 PM »
I agree his start in management was very poor, but after that look at his win ratio, consistently at 40% average over a number of seasons,  Last WBA manager to achieve that = Matteo  for 1 season & & Mowbray for 2 then both dropped off dramatically.
Also I read an article which gave him great credit for his versatile approach and in game management, In my opinion those are 2 absolutely key areas for a head coach.

Seems he consistently achieves, is versatile and "manages" games, He also seems to have been able to get his teams to score a reasonable number of goals / season and clearly hasn't been a Pulis as they also concede but not at the same rate as scoring.

Familiar with managing a club about our size as well, so should get the financial rigours that brings.

Interestingly his predeccesor was John van den Brom, might read up on the subject of that co-incidence too

Mr Der BROM's stats are even better
Managerial statistics
As of match played 23 May 2021
Managerial record by team and tenure
Team   Nat   From   To   Record
G   W   D   L   Win %
AGOVV Apeldoorn   Netherlands   1 July 2007   30 June 2010   120   45   22   53   37.50
Den Haag   Netherlands                   1 July 2010   29 June 2011   40   20   7   13   50.00
Vitesse   Netherlands                   1 July 2011   30 May 2012   42   20   9   13   47.62
Anderlecht   Belgium                           30 May 2012   9 April 2014   98   54   18   26   55.10
AZ Alkmaar   Netherlands           29 Sept 2014   30 June 2019   216   116   41   59   53.70
Utrecht   Netherlands                   1 July 2019   9 Nov 2020   40   20   9   11   50.00
Racing Genk    Belgium                   9 Nov 2020   Present           33   20   5   8   60.61
                                                                                 Total           589   295   111   183   50.08
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 01:53:27 PM by Albionic »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1027 on: May 26, 2021, 02:19:02 PM »
I agree his start in management was very poor, but after that look at his win ratio, consistently at 40% average over a number of seasons,  Last WBA manager to achieve that = Matteo  for 1 season & & Mowbray for 2 then both dropped off dramatically.
Also I read an article which gave him great credit for his versatile approach and in game management, In my opinion those are 2 absolutely key areas for a head coach.

Seems he consistently achieves, is versatile and "manages" games, He also seems to have been able to get his teams to score a reasonable number of goals / season and clearly hasn't been a Pulis as they also concede but not at the same rate as scoring.

Familiar with managing a club about our size as well, so should get the financial rigours that brings.

Interestingly his predeccesor was John van den Brom, might read up on the subject of that co-incidence too

Managerial statistics
G   W   D   L   Win %
AGOVV Apeldoorn   Netherlands   1 July 2007   30 June 2010   120   45   22   53   37.50
Den Haag   Netherlands                   1 July 2010   29 June 2011   40   20   7   13   50.00
Vitesse   Netherlands                   1 July 2011   30 May 2012   42   20   9   13   47.62
Anderlecht   Belgium                           30 May 2012   9 April 2014   98   54   18   26   55.10
AZ Alkmaar   Netherlands           29 Sept 2014   30 June 2019   216   116   41   59   53.70
Utrecht   Netherlands                   1 July 2019   9 Nov 2020   40   20   9   11   50.00
Racing Genk    Belgium                   9 Nov 2020   Present           33   20   5   8   60.61
Now that IS left field Albionic! Can't deny it makes impressive reading, at least at face value.
Interesting stats of the day sir, well done!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1028 on: May 26, 2021, 04:22:54 PM »

Managerial statistics
G   W   D   L   Win %

Van Den Brom is a very interesting one...

Hell of a record.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1029 on: May 26, 2021, 04:25:29 PM »
Am surprised Craig Shakespeare name hasn’t been mentioned as a decent candidate by a few more people.

He is a number two. He was given a chance at Leicester and did okay but number twos rarely keep it going after an initial bounce. Why should Shakespeare be mentioned when you have a candidate like Wilder with promotions on his cv?

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1030 on: May 26, 2021, 05:19:09 PM »
I would be amazed if it was anyone apart from Wilder. We tried to get him after Bilic went and then as soon as he was sacked we approached him again regarding taking it at the end of the season, I just dont see any scenario where he doesn't take it.

I would want one of Wilder or Jokanovic but I would rule Frank out due to his lack of experience compared to the others.
Gera, Gera, Gera

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1031 on: May 26, 2021, 05:45:41 PM »
According to some reports Jokanovic looking for a £4m pay packet

Best of luck with that one then
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1032 on: May 26, 2021, 06:20:42 PM »
I have been trawling options and this guy seems interesting "Rene Hake" currently at Utrecht

All sounds a bit fishy to me...  ;D
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1033 on: May 26, 2021, 06:47:37 PM »
All sounds a bit fishy to me...  ;D

Trust you to LINGer on this point, Its SOLEly my mistake, but you won't hear me CRABbing about it.
Albion Family !!!

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1034 on: May 26, 2021, 06:52:48 PM »
Out of those seemingly in the running , it has to be Frank Lampard for me . If he ups our profile in the Championship then I have no problem with that . I’m sure the media will see it that way . Alex Neil oh dear no , we really will have returned to a comparative appointment to Alan Irvine imho . Let’s try and have a positive start to the new managerial era rather than a collective groan .

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1035 on: May 26, 2021, 07:13:54 PM »
Amazing how Alex Neils name keeps being mentioned. According to the poll above  he is doing as well as the UK did in the Eurovision  0%.

Should never been mentioned. How can someone who got sacked by Preston do a job for us !!!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1036 on: May 26, 2021, 07:23:42 PM »
Lille gaffer Galtier has quit 👀

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1037 on: May 26, 2021, 07:52:02 PM »
Lille gaffer Galtier has quit 👀

Conte left too 👀

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1038 on: May 26, 2021, 08:16:26 PM »
What do you all think about posting the poll results and resetting it to see how the land lies a few days later.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1039 on: May 26, 2021, 08:18:13 PM »
I would be amazed if it was anyone apart from Wilder. We tried to get him after Bilic went and then as soon as he was sacked we approached him again regarding taking it at the end of the season, I just dont see any scenario where he doesn't take it.

I would want one of Wilder or Jokanovic but I would rule Frank out due to his lack of experience compared to the others.

I for one would be very pleased with this. He had a bad year. Maybe he’s done as some people say (a la Jewell etc) or maybe he’ll continue to be successful. He’s experienced but not old.

The only negative is last season and the rest of his career surely more than balanced that out.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1040 on: May 26, 2021, 08:19:23 PM »
What do you all think about posting the poll results and resetting it to see how the land lies a few days later.

Had to vote other. Awful list. But yeah give it the old reset to see if people have been swayed or changed their minds.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1041 on: May 26, 2021, 10:08:55 PM »
Reset it for me please
Albion Family !!!

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1042 on: May 26, 2021, 10:40:44 PM »
Zizou has left Real Madrid effective immediately... always a chance?  ;)

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1043 on: May 26, 2021, 11:09:17 PM »

In your opinion, would Wilder be happy to manage us? I get the feeling he's quite particular.

I know some people dislike his style on here, but you have to say he has a great record and a good few promotions under his belt.

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1044 on: May 26, 2021, 11:35:24 PM »
It would be Lampard for me.

BUT.

Would Frank see us as a medium to long term project or just a steppingstone? The latter I think particularly given the club's owners complete lack of ability to compete in the Premiership.

So it's more likely to be the duller prospects, the Wilder or (God forbid) Appleton who would be willing to work with our hierarchy.

It's all completely underwhelming to be honest.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1045 on: May 26, 2021, 11:55:03 PM »
It would be Lampard for me.

BUT.

Would Frank see us as a medium to long term project or just a steppingstone? The latter I think particularly given the club's owners complete lack of ability to compete in the Premiership.

So it's more likely to be the duller prospects, the Wilder or (God forbid) Appleton who would be willing to work with our hierarchy.

It's all completely underwhelming to be honest.

Lampard is only looking at us as an opportunity to rebuild his reputation. A promotion would obviously help but despite everything he would get very little credit for it as that would be largely seen as par for the course. To complete the rebuild of his reputation he has to take a season in the Premier League and keep us up. An heroic failure isn't going to cut the ice he needs that season as a platform for the next move.

I am wholly underwhelmed by the prospect of being a mediocre coach's stepping stone to a position he is only ever likely to flunk. It is all downside for us if succeeds it won't be a long-term relationship if it fails we will have scuppered at least one of best opportunities to return to the Premier League.

Whoever comes in has to work with the hierarchy at the club, it is not about to change. The limitations are the limitations and coach needs to understand that and work within it. Perpetual snipping at the board is entirely counter productive.     
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1046 on: May 27, 2021, 08:37:34 AM »
If, as most of us expect, the next boss gets little backing outside of selling our best players to fund the acquisitions, then I can't see how Lampard would 'suffer' if we were to get promoted and then relegated immediately - surely if we were struggling during the 'promoted season' he'd be binned off (much like Bilic) and even then the media would probably spin the 'he did what he could but without backing you're always going to struggle' line

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1047 on: May 27, 2021, 08:53:45 AM »
Lampard is only looking at us as an opportunity to rebuild his reputation. A promotion would obviously help but despite everything he would get very little credit for it as that would be largely seen as par for the course. To complete the rebuild of his reputation he has to take a season in the Premier League and keep us up. An heroic failure isn't going to cut the ice he needs that season as a platform for the next move.

I am wholly underwhelmed by the prospect of being a mediocre coach's stepping stone to a position he is only ever likely to flunk. It is all downside for us if succeeds it won't be a long-term relationship if it fails we will have scuppered at least one of best opportunities to return to the Premier League.

Whoever comes in has to work with the hierarchy at the club, it is not about to change. The limitations are the limitations and coach needs to understand that and work within it. Perpetual snipping at the board is entirely counter productive.   

Not actually sure that is a bad thing to be honest, it is better that than just seeing us as a cash cow. Frank will command a decent salary for sure but he would be with us for a reason other than cash; a mutually beneficial arrangement really, and if he can do it on a shoestring then so much the better for all concerned.

Given the alternatives I am on board with Frank should he choose to take up the challenge.

Its Wilder though isn't it  >:(
MAGA!

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1048 on: May 27, 2021, 09:08:49 AM »
Hodgson used us to rebuild his standing in the game.
Said before, we really need to get used to out position in the food-chain of the game. In our current guise, we will ALWAYS only be a stepping stone for talented and/or ambitious managers, coaches and players. This is unlikely to change. Even the more well moneyed clubs like Villa, Wolves, Wham are stepping-stones to a certain extent for the clubs above them.

The trick is a) coming to terms with that and b) using it to our advantage.
If Frank Lampard comes in and gets us promoted, and then keeps us up and then gets picked off by another club is that necessarily a bad thing? Its not ideal, but at the end of the day, mission accomplished. Find the next person. Its what we have to be resigned to folks. Its no good turning our nose up at appointments because they don't plan on hanging around for the long haul.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1049 on: May 27, 2021, 09:48:05 AM »
Yeah, not sure what the alternative is.  Bring in a manager who will want to stay here forever no matter who comes knocking?