1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 454231 times)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #700 on: May 22, 2021, 07:27:48 AM »
No he didn't, it aint 1984 anymore, managers/head coaches have very little say in transfers and they certainly dont have the final say above the club. Also Wilder has had one poor season in his entire career which seems an amazing record to me.

I was just about to post similar mate.

People are going on about Wilder's poor signings but none of us know how much say he had in any of them. I dont know how Sheff Utd operate but at a number of clubs the head coach can have very little input in transfers.

SC_Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #701 on: May 22, 2021, 08:19:59 AM »
Cooper is the oldest looking 41 year old in the world.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #702 on: May 22, 2021, 08:26:04 AM »
Masi reporting Alex Neil on the list  :o :(

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #703 on: May 22, 2021, 08:40:38 AM »

Not at all surprised

He’s out of work so compensation
He was close to getting the job before we opted for Shan
He is familiar on working with tight budgets and maximising resources
He’s not going to shout and scream the place down

Thinking about it - he ticks a lot of boxes.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #704 on: May 22, 2021, 08:43:37 AM »
Masi didnt say Neil is on the list. He said Albion are finalising their list of candidates to speak to. Masi said Neil has a promotion on his CV and that's something that is likely to interest Albion.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #705 on: May 22, 2021, 08:46:41 AM »
In terms of transfers in general and Wilder in particular there is a range of influence that the Head Coach has over transfers. In general English clubs still give their Head Coaches more influence over transfers than clubs on the continent.

It is reported that Conte was particularly keen to come to England because of this difference it is unfortunate for him that he went to Chelsea which is probably the club that gives the Head Coach the least say on transfers. Had he gone to Man U he would have much greater influence and probably at the very least a veto on signings. 

Under Pulis our transfer business was generally instigated by the Head Coach the Director of Football and the recruitment team did the leg work but Pulis was largely responsible for identifying targets. We have progressed somewhat from that model but it is very obvious we lean on the Head Coach more than most for input on transfers.   

Of all the Head Coaches in the Premier League Wilder has had the most say in transfers. This in part stems from the club's League 1 days where along with most clubs at that level the manager was the sole arbiter on transfers because there simply aren't the personnel to do anything else.

For good or bad the transfers that happened on Wilders watch are his transfers. Yes he is constrained by budget everyone is but they are his. This matters here because we lean heavily on the Head Coach for input on transfers although not solely.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #706 on: May 22, 2021, 08:49:38 AM »

If you're referring to this morning's online E & S article, Masi isn't confirming anything.

He's referenced a bookies list & mentioned Howe & Neil meet SA's recommendations that the candidate should have promotion to the EPL on their CV.

SA has also explained his reasons why he thinks an overseas manager who has not worked in Britain would be a risky appointment.

If it's  a risk averse appointment, Wilder ticks most of the boxes.

Read more here.............
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2021/05/22/west-brom-finalising-shortlist-for-managerial-role/
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #707 on: May 22, 2021, 09:14:36 AM »
big NO to Wagner. Plays terrible football and has acheived nothing but embarresment since his promotion with Huddersfield several years ago.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #708 on: May 22, 2021, 09:28:15 AM »
I can't see it being anyone but Wilder, it's like Allardyce and Dowling wrote a job description for him.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #709 on: May 22, 2021, 09:34:58 AM »
Looking at the betting market Wilder is the very clear favorite.

It is interesting to note that for the most part the four reported on by Rob Dorsett have all come in a bit in general Cooper can still be had for 40/1 Wagner 25/1 and Lampard at 16/1 if the market believed that this was a genuine four man shortlist the prices would be a lot shorter. John Terry lurks ominously around the 7/1 mark. 

If Allardyce has been asked about his successor it is alarming but unfortunately par for the course. However if his advice is followed it precludes a few of the absolutely dreadful options but equally some of the more attractive ones as well. No surprise that Allardyce likes the experienced and British options best.

It really is Wilder's job to turn down isn't it?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #710 on: May 22, 2021, 09:36:23 AM »
Terry ruled out

"Joseph Masi
@JosephMasi_Star
Just for absolute clarity, this story is confirming John Terry is NOT on Albion's shortlist #wba"

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #711 on: May 22, 2021, 09:38:26 AM »
Terry ruled out

"Joseph Masi
@JosephMasi_Star
Just for absolute clarity, this story is confirming John Terry is NOT on Albion's shortlist #wba"

Well that’s a relief..
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #712 on: May 22, 2021, 09:39:53 AM »
Terry ruled out

"Joseph Masi
@JosephMasi_Star

Bullet dodged there and maybe some sign of intelligent life at the club. The article also rules out Wagner (note to Masi if you have to tweet out clarifications to an article maybe you need to have a look at your writing style) which I had missed on first glance.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 09:45:27 AM by Standaman »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #713 on: May 22, 2021, 09:56:07 AM »
I'd ignore any moves in betting markets. Twenty quid would probably change a price. I wouldnt take any notice of it at all.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #714 on: May 22, 2021, 10:02:05 AM »
Terry ruled out

"Joseph Masi
@JosephMasi_Star
If that’s true it’s another dose of short sightedness from the club .He should at the very least make any shortlist drawn up.
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #715 on: May 22, 2021, 10:03:01 AM »

If you're referring to this morning's online E & S article, Masi isn't confirming anything.

He's referenced a bookies list & mentioned Howe & Neil meet SA's recommendations that the candidate should have promotion to the EPL on their CV.

SA has also explained his reasons why he thinks an overseas manager who has not worked in Britain would be a risky appointment.

If it's  a risk averse appointment, Wilder ticks most of the boxes.

Read more here.............
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2021/05/22/west-brom-finalising-shortlist-for-managerial-role/

Nice for Big Sam to have an input and offer his advice but this falls into Dowlings remit he should have an idea of who he wants next and act upon it .

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #716 on: May 22, 2021, 10:03:10 AM »
If that’s true it’s another dose of short sightedness from the club .He should at the very least make any shortlist drawn up.

But why?! Never coached a side before and has a massive ego. Should be avoided at all costs.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #717 on: May 22, 2021, 10:13:13 AM »
I'd ignore any moves in betting markets. Twenty quid would probably change a price. I wouldnt take any notice of it at all.

Agree with this but it does say something about the general level of faith that people have in Rob Dorsett's reporting. If I had some level of belief in the validity of Dorsett's claim then I would almost certainly place a £20 bet at 40/1 on Cooper even acknowledging that he might be the rank outsider of the 4 and have not more than a 5% chance of getting the job. I haven't placed such a bet because the probability is that Dorsett's claim is uninformed twaddle.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #718 on: May 22, 2021, 10:27:44 AM »
But why?! Never coached a side before and has a massive ego. Should be avoided at all costs.
Blokes a winner , think his title involves the word coach, big part of Villas improvement over the last couple of years , must be learning off a coach that has done well at Championship level , will almost certainly have good contacts and knowledge of players (Traore) , nobody had a bigger ego than Atkinson and he did ok when he was here. Seems to me in reality that most that wouldn’t consider Terry on here wouldn’t because of personal dislike not footballing reasons fine get that I didn’t still don’t like Allardyce but people on here keep telling me he would have got us up ? On pure footballing grounds there is no reason Terry should not be on or close to a shortlist. There are plenty coaches in sin similar position to Terry that folk on here would be creaming themselves over if they were to be touted

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #719 on: May 22, 2021, 11:03:02 AM »
Blokes a winner , think his title involves the word coach, big part of Villas improvement over the last couple of years , must be learning off a coach that has done well at Championship level , will almost certainly have good contacts and knowledge of players (Traore) , nobody had a bigger ego than Atkinson and he did ok when he was here. Seems to me in reality that most that wouldn’t consider Terry on here wouldn’t because of personal dislike not footballing reasons fine get that I didn’t still don’t like Allardyce but people on here keep telling me he would have got us up ? On pure footballing grounds there is no reason Terry should not be on or close to a shortlist. There are plenty coaches in sin similar position to Terry that folk on here would be creaming themselves over if they were to be touted
Really? They were awful until Craig Shakespeare went there. Would rather have Shakey.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #720 on: May 22, 2021, 11:53:51 AM »

Appreciate what you're saying & I probably would want to speak to him, even if it's only to sound him out for a potential future appointment.

The criteria for this immediate position is starting to filter through & it looks as though JT doesn't meet it as well as some of the other candidates at the moment.

The outstanding candidate against the criteria appears to be Wilder, problem with that is he's in a position to dictate his price.
If we can't agree terms, then the other candidates come into play.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #721 on: May 22, 2021, 12:02:07 PM »
There is no upside to us to offering the big name ex-player a job particularly their first Head Coach position. If they don't turn out to be much use at coaching we find out the hard way and always at the expense of a Coach who does have a track record. We then get to sack them and get all negative blowback from their cheerleaders in the media.

However if they do well they are quickly touted for a role more befitting their status in particular if there is a vacancy where they were "Captain Leader and Legend"  well that's it game over for ------'s West Brom.

If you never make this type of appointment you almost never lose anything.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #722 on: May 22, 2021, 12:24:07 PM »
There is no upside to us to offering the big name ex-player a job particularly their first Head Coach position. If they don't turn out to be much use at coaching we find out the hard way and always at the expense of a Coach who does have a track record. We then get to sack them and get all negative blowback from their cheerleaders in the media.

However if they do well they are quickly touted for a role more befitting their status in particular if there is a vacancy where they were "Captain Leader and Legend"  well that's it game over for ------'s West Brom.

If you never make this type of appointment you almost never lose anything.

I don't think JT would be my first choice, but I think I would like to talk to him.

Interviews are supposed to be two way streets, we might like Wilder, but he might not like us.
In my experience you always have to have the back-up candidates.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #723 on: May 22, 2021, 01:13:10 PM »

I don't think JT would be my first choice, but I think I would like to talk to him.

Interviews are supposed to be two way streets, we might like Wilder, but he might not like us.
In my experience you always have to have the back-up candidates.

Yes but the back up should be a coach with a track record something that you can probe figure out a tactical fit etc.......

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #724 on: May 22, 2021, 01:25:43 PM »
Yes but the back up should be a coach with a track record something that you can probe figure out a tactical fit etc.......
Isnt that what interviews are for ?