1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 446667 times)

brummyroader

• Youth Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #575 on: May 21, 2021, 09:02:31 AM »
I’ve voted other and would love Mark Robbins at Coventry to be given a chance. I want a manager that is on the up and where potentially we are the biggest club they have been at.

It seems Wilder is the number 1 I suppose for obvious reasons, but as many have said doesn’t feel right and his transfer record latterly has been nothing short of abysmal, it seems strange that with his overall managerial record there are so many concerns but they are fully justifiable.

Mark Robbins has promotions on his CV, has done wonders at Coventry with the complex conditions he’s been dealt with, plays football on the floor (personally more concerned with winning football) and given more resources whilst always needing to be prudent and making the most out of our budget I seen him as a perfect fit. Good record with younger players which has been a negative of ours for years as we rarely have saleable assets for us to reinvest in the squad.

Wilder the ‘easy’ and ‘lazy’ option in my opinion for the board, but be surprised if he didn’t end up here...

Let’s look outside the box!!!

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #576 on: May 21, 2021, 09:11:27 AM »
Whilst I am also cautious about Wilder after this season's implosion and transfer activity he obviously has "something" about him as a manager to bring the success, albeit mainly in the lower leagues that he had.  BUT let's not also forget his miraculous first season in the Prem. 

If in interview he can openly identify what went wrong this season, show that he has learnt and reflected on the experience and set out a plan for what he would do differently then with his CV he must be in with a shout. 

I think us mere mortals think that football manager interviews must be totally different to the ones we attend but the principles will be the same.  Everyone has failures, as well as success, it's how you learn from it and develop that is key to moving on.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #577 on: May 21, 2021, 09:13:57 AM »
I'm not getting a lot of the support for Frank Lampard. Gives youth a chance? Had to initially at Chelsea but let's not forget he also swapped and changed an expensively assembled and unbalanced squad at the drop of a hat.

Seemed quite disparaging towards us following the 3-3 at ours if memory serves so I imagine we'd be a bit of a come down for him. I think the 'right' Championship club he has in mind's closer to the Fulham Road than the Brummie Road.

Talks a good game as a pundit, not the worst appointment we could make but I just don't see him as a good fit. And who are all these young players he's going to select as first team starters in a promotion push from the Championship?

'If' reports are correct and we're unwilling to pay £700,000 for the services of a head coach to guide a promotion push to the monies on offer in the Premier League, I wouldn't want to be a computer screen facing Luke Dowling with hot tea in his mouth when he sees what Chelsea may well ask for in loan fees for their human farm products.

My worry with Lampard is that he took over a side who had just finished 6th place, added Fikayo Tomori (England international within 12 months and now starting defender for AC Milan), Mason Mount (now an England mainstay and possible Champions league winner) and Harry Wilson and took Derby to...a 6th placed finish.

He should never have been given the Chelsea job off the back of that but he was promoted due to him being Frank Lampard and while he did quite well there in the first season, it was a weird season and he failed once given better players.

I'd prefer he do it somewhere else, as much as I like him.
Boing Boing

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #578 on: May 21, 2021, 09:17:40 AM »
My worry with Lampard is that he took over a side who had just finished 6th place, added Fikayo Tomori (England international within 12 months and now starting defender for AC Milan), Mason Mount (now an England mainstay and possible Champions league winner) and Harry Wilson and took Derby to...a 6th placed finish.

He should never have been given the Chelsea job off the back of that but he was promoted due to him being Frank Lampard and while he did quite well there in the first season, it was a weird season and he failed once given better players.

I'd prefer he do it somewhere else, as much as I like him.

Frank ay coming anyway is he?  I just can't see him wanting to drop back into the Champ or relocate to the Midlands again.  Plenty of London based clubs may come knocking over the next year.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #579 on: May 21, 2021, 09:25:50 AM »
I'd rather pay the 700k and have Appleton but you do you Dowling

I wouldnt but my thoughts were,
 surely Frank Lampard would earn in excess of £700k more than Appy anyway? So whats the real issue with cash? If FL is a real consideration , Appy should be (financially)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #580 on: May 21, 2021, 09:38:06 AM »
I’ve voted other and would love Mark Robbins at Coventry to be given a chance. I want a manager that is on the up and where potentially we are the biggest club they have been at.

It seems Wilder is the number 1 I suppose for obvious reasons, but as many have said doesn’t feel right and his transfer record latterly has been nothing short of abysmal, it seems strange that with his overall managerial record there are so many concerns but they are fully justifiable.

Mark Robbins has promotions on his CV, has done wonders at Coventry with the complex conditions he’s been dealt with, plays football on the floor (personally more concerned with winning football) and given more resources whilst always needing to be prudent and making the most out of our budget I seen him as a perfect fit. Good record with younger players which has been a negative of ours for years as we rarely have saleable assets for us to reinvest in the squad.

Wilder the ‘easy’ and ‘lazy’ option in my opinion for the board, but be surprised if he didn’t end up here...

Let’s look outside the box!!!

A friend of mine suggested Robins, and I'm quite taken with the idea as well. Done well with what he has had, possession play (or was in L1), probably taken Cov as far as he can with their resources.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #581 on: May 21, 2021, 09:39:34 AM »
I have read that Sam is advising the board about the next manager and his recommendation is a manager who knows the Championship and has had success in it.  With that in mind there is only one contender, Chris Wilder.

I can't understand the fans on this site being so against Chris Wilder. His record before this season was brilliant.

The Appleton fans need to look back at his time at Portsmouth and Blackburn in this division.  win rate at Portsmouth 25%, Blackburn 27%.  Not exactly promotion winning form  !!!

As for Frank Lampard, remember he likes to play the ball out from the back. A tactic that got Darren Moore the sack and infuriated a lot of fans.

I think its Chris Wilder for me and give him a few seasons to get it right.  Its no good thinking we will get promoted next season because there is too much of a rebuild job to be done.  That rebuild needs to be done on a budget using the Pereira money when it comes in.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #582 on: May 21, 2021, 09:43:11 AM »
In fairness to Wilder , and I don’t want him , people are banging on about his transfer record but most on here would have taken Brewster , he also signed Berge and Lundstram who seem destined to move upward as well as giving Henderson his chance so whilst there are obviously fails Burke , McBurnie etc I don’t think he is any worse than many others in that regard .
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #583 on: May 21, 2021, 09:43:35 AM »
chris wilder another tony pulis no thanks. i voted other
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #584 on: May 21, 2021, 10:15:00 AM »
As for Frank Lampard, remember he likes to play the ball out from the back. A tactic that got Darren Moore the sack and infuriated a lot of fans.

The problem isn't playing it out from the back, it's doing it with defenders who clearly aren't good enough at it and then persisting with it.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #585 on: May 21, 2021, 10:17:37 AM »
The problem isn't playing it out from the back, it's doing it with defenders who clearly aren't good enough at it and then persisting with it.

Which is what Derby did in the Championship and our defenders are not that good to be able to do it successfully.

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #586 on: May 21, 2021, 10:20:36 AM »

Exactly this. I'm a big fan of playing out from the back and building up the pitch.
However, that is not the game for Barts and Semi, bless 'em

victor mature

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #587 on: May 21, 2021, 11:05:37 AM »
I agree with others that Wilder may be that type of manager who is only successful at one club. I also worry about Wilder'sdifficulties off the pitch with the owners and the same thing happening here. however I haven't got a clue who  we should appoint. I like Pearson but if he has signed a new contract then that's him off the list

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #588 on: May 21, 2021, 11:11:18 AM »
The Appleton fans need to look back at his time at Portsmouth and Blackburn in this division.  win rate at Portsmouth 25%, Blackburn 27%.  Not exactly promotion winning form  !!!

In his defence you have selected two clubs which were absolute basket cases at the time.

His record at both Oxford and Lincoln are very good.

I do not buy the argument that it is a substandard level of football and that any successes should be ignored.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #589 on: May 21, 2021, 11:12:58 AM »
I agree with others that Wilder may be that type of manager who is only successful at one club. I also worry about Wilder'sdifficulties off the pitch with the owners and the same thing happening here. however I haven't got a clue who  we should appoint. I like Pearson but if he has signed a new contract then that's him off the list
I think if you check his record you’ll see that he had success at Northampton and in non league before Sheffield united. Lower leagues I accept but you have to start somewhere

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #590 on: May 21, 2021, 11:14:52 AM »
In his defence you have selected two clubs which were absolute basket cases at the time.

His record at both Oxford and Lincoln are very good.

I do not buy the argument that it is a substandard level of football and that any successes should be ignored.

You beat me too it. You mean 2 promotions at 2 other teams he managed and left both teams so much better than when he arrived.

mig

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #591 on: May 21, 2021, 11:18:41 AM »
In fairness to Wilder , and I don’t want him , people are banging on about his transfer record but most on here would have taken Brewster , he also signed Berge and Lundstram who seem destined to move upward as well as giving Henderson his chance so whilst there are obviously fails Burke , McBurnie etc I don’t think he is any worse than many others in that regard .

I'm sure most of us would have taken Brewster, you're right.  But then if the consensus is that there is a good player in there, surely that's even more damning of Wilder? Even when he gets the transfer right on paper, he doesn't know how to use those more creative or attacking players. Bit like when Pulis signed Chadli.

We need a manager who can get the best out of players like Diangana, Robinson etc., and - given our limited budget - someone who can also develop players coming through the academy.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #592 on: May 21, 2021, 11:19:05 AM »
I would have questions about Wilder and I’m not sure  but to champion anyone from a lower division (Appleton, Robins etc) and then write off Wilder makes no sense to me.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #593 on: May 21, 2021, 11:26:24 AM »
One thing I cor get my head round is this continuous love-in with ex-players becoming our manager, Appleton, McInnes, Enzo Maresca even heard some comments on Big Dave coming back. Managers coming back rarely work out, just look at Giles and Atkinson.

IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

mig

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #594 on: May 21, 2021, 11:37:39 AM »
I would have questions about Wilder and I’m not sure  but to champion anyone from a lower division (Appleton, Robins etc) and then write off Wilder makes no sense to me.

I think in part it's a style of football thing, which is fair enough.

Also - and perhaps I'm just speaking for myself as I know many will have done due diligence on those lower league managers - but with Wilder generally we've had a lot more exposure to him as a Prem manager and one we ourselves have competed against often over the past few years. So it's easier to criticise him given we have a lot more knowledge of how he operates. I'm not championing Appleton/Robins etc but also not criticising them as I haven't done my homework yet. 

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #595 on: May 21, 2021, 11:43:32 AM »
One thing I cor get my head round is this continuous love-in with ex-players becoming our manager, Appleton, McInnes, Enzo Maresca even heard some comments on Big Dave coming back. Managers coming back rarely work out, just look at Giles and Atkinson.

I think it's fair to say, that over the last few years, & certainly with the change of ownership, WBAFC has lost it's identity.
The most recent coach, who went some way to restoring that was Darren Moore, personally, I think he will have learned a lot since he left us, & I think I would give him another go.

Unless we do get some of the "know who we are" thinking into the club, we will continue to lurch from crisis to crisis.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #596 on: May 21, 2021, 11:53:22 AM »
Wilder seems like a very good shout and if you look into his career, last season is a blotch. Others have said he's played back 4's in the past and what's to say he won't go 343 or adapt to what we have. He's also managed clubs that are in a big crisis. Wilder is a great shout for me and by far the most logical choice given that we know we'd prefer out of job managers which makes sense.

Those pointing to Appleton's failures at Portsmouth and Oxford would perhaps need to look beyond those clubs, which as others have said were basket case. He's had a good few years. Take away the links to the clubs, if we're looking at successful managers from the leagues below you wouldn't ignore him.

I'm onside with the club at the moment if press links are to be believed. Wilder and Appleton make sense. I'm open to Frank Lampard but I have worries.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBA.R.K

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #597 on: May 21, 2021, 12:00:18 PM »
I don't see it happening in a million years as he's at a much higher level than we are, but I would love to see someone like Peter Bosz at the club. I know its not realistic, it's more of a dream appointment for me. A strong attacking/possession/pressing style and a good eye for talent. That's the sort of football and coach I wish we could appoint.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #598 on: May 21, 2021, 12:07:45 PM »

Kind of like how Megson was only really successful at our club, yes. If it is Wilder I'll get behind him even though I don't want him. I got behind Sam and could see what he did for us, although it was painful those first couple of months.
Allllllll aboard

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #599 on: May 21, 2021, 12:13:04 PM »
Its a case of horses for courses.  Managers jump up divisions but fail miserably.  That happened to Hasselbank. I think managers have their limitations and I think Appleton and Robins limitation is Division 1. Wilder was also in that group until he got Sheffield United promoted. So he can now be classed as a successful Championship manager which is something we are after.  To me its a no brainer with Wilder. He will get us promoted but it won't be a quick fix. Basically quick fixes don't work. We tried that in the first season we were in the Championship. We failed to get promoted so then we lost our loan players together with Dawson and Rodriguez.  We need to build a good strong Championship side that will get us out of this division within 2 seasons. Then add 1 or 2 premier quality players to it.  Wilder is the man to do that.  All the others are too much of a risk and basically we can't afford another risky short term manager.