1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 450813 times)

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #550 on: May 20, 2021, 10:41:38 PM »
Completly depressing, if true. If Brewster failed to deliver in his 5-3-2 setup, is Grant going to do any better? Chances will be at an absolute premium. Will there be a place for any creative player(s)? Even if Pereira stays, what sort of a role would he be given? Even if Wilder did manage to get us promoted, what would we have to look forward to?  Trying to beat the 19 goals Sheff Utd managed this season?

Wilder would be awful. Just ahead of Appleton.

I want to see someone who could bully our board. Get the players we need to progress and push us on. Neither of those would do that. Also Appleton is mates with Dowling...

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #551 on: May 20, 2021, 10:43:06 PM »
Not a massive fan of Wilder based on last 12 months but why are we only judging him on the last 12 months not the previous years when he was a rousing success

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #552 on: May 20, 2021, 10:43:35 PM »
I want to see someone who could bully our board. Get the players we need to progress and push us on. Neither of those would do that.

I think you need to start preparing yourself for disappointment.

We’re not going to appoint a Megson esq character who’s going to throw his weight around the place.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 10:45:39 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #553 on: May 20, 2021, 10:44:55 PM »
Not a massive fan of Wilder based on last 12 months but why are we only judging him on the last 12 months not the previous years when he was a rousing success

I agree - far too much emphasis on the last 12 months - largely because it suits the narrative.

I think folk need to realise that whoever we appoint is going to have baggage of some sort.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #554 on: May 20, 2021, 10:48:29 PM »
I agree - far too much emphasis on the last 12 months - largely because it suits the narrative.

I think folk need to realise that whoever we appoint is going to have baggage of some sort.

Not about the past season for me, his over reliance on a top goalkeeper, the way he sets up his teams, the make up of our squad, his abrasiveness and his record on transfers leave me with serious reservations.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #555 on: May 20, 2021, 10:54:13 PM »

I want to see someone who could bully our board. Get the players we need to progress and push us on. Neither of those would do that. Also Appleton is mates with Dowling...

This a nonsense on what planet does an EMPLOYEE bully his employer?  Whoever comes into has to work with the reality of the situation rather then some strange fantasy that some fans have about how things work. Performative whinging is not bullying anybody it is just making excuses.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #556 on: May 20, 2021, 10:54:34 PM »
He binned him off for Oli Burke...

Wilder didn't pay any money for Burke. Can you imagine the clowns that parted with 15mill for Burke, they must be an even dumber bunch.....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 10:56:18 PM by SirTonyM »

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #557 on: May 20, 2021, 10:58:39 PM »

This a nonsense on what planet does an EMPLOYEE bully his employer?  Whoever comes into has to work with the reality of the situation rather then some strange fantasy that some fans have about how things work. Performative whinging is not bullying anybody it is just making excuses.

Figure of speech - apologies.

I'd like to see someone come in and get the best from our board and owners knowing something about football along the way. Unlike Bilic who thought that Grant and Diangana were the answers and like Big Sam who brought in quality players who improved us.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #558 on: May 20, 2021, 11:13:41 PM »
Lampard has well a short history of using youngsters in his first team which I'd welcome down the hawthorns. He's experienced the Championship and might be willing to stick around if things go well especially after time at Chelsea.

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #559 on: May 20, 2021, 11:17:15 PM »
Lampard has well a short history of using youngsters in his first team which I'd welcome down the hawthorns. He's experienced the Championship and might be willing to stick around if things go well especially after time at Chelsea.

Lampard wouldn't come for pennies and would want assurances that the cash was there to  build a strong squad for immediate promotion. After Chelsea he needs to rebuild his profile and succeed.

I'm in.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #560 on: May 21, 2021, 05:38:41 AM »
My concern with wilder is we already have a huge rebuild and the only position we are quite well set is wide midfield: snodgrass Phillips robinson grant diangana. And his appointment would make these mostly redundant as he uses wing backs and a back 3
O Albion we love you

Smethwickender93

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #561 on: May 21, 2021, 06:42:29 AM »
Lampard for me  8)

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #562 on: May 21, 2021, 06:56:56 AM »
My concern with wilder is we already have a huge rebuild and the only position we are quite well set is wide midfield: snodgrass Phillips robinson grant diangana. And his appointment would make these mostly redundant as he uses wing backs and a back 3

Wilder played a 4-2-3-1 & 4-4-2 formation at Northampton. I think he’d look at what the strength of the team is and adapt his formation to that.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #563 on: May 21, 2021, 07:24:30 AM »
Lampard wouldn't come for pennies and would want assurances that the cash was there to  build a strong squad for immediate promotion. After Chelsea he needs to rebuild his profile and succeed.

I'm in.
well if Allardyce is to believed, transfer kitty wasn't an issue so can't see that being a problem for Lampard.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #564 on: May 21, 2021, 07:31:33 AM »
Lampard will want a prem job having just left Chelsea. He will be looking for a club who might allow him to spring board to a bigger job (IE the England national team).

I'd imagine he is hoping for a Southampton, a Wolves or a Villa.
Boing Boing

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #565 on: May 21, 2021, 07:39:30 AM »
Lampard will want a prem job having just left Chelsea. He will be looking for a club who might allow him to spring board to a bigger job (IE the England national team).

quoted yesterday that he would work in Championship if right club came along.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #566 on: May 21, 2021, 07:45:08 AM »
More concerning to me than actually appointing Wilder is the fact that as far as the club are thinking he seems to be the only name in town! There seems to be nobody else under consideration which is to say the least disappointing, reports that we are bulking at paying 700k compo( who for is irrelevant)would also point in this direction. If Allardyce is right and he lied about future plans then I would like to think that Dowling would have been aware of this and other options  could , should , would have been investigated in the interim which judging by the lack of rumours of any name other than Wilder doesn't appear to have happened
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 07:52:48 AM by hardtobeat »
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #567 on: May 21, 2021, 07:52:49 AM »
More concerning to me than actually appointing Wilder is the fact that as far as the club are thinking he seems to be the only name in town!
early days but Between Wilder and Lampard, prefer Frank as he would put kids in if he thinks they are good enough. Chris would give Luke more headaches as he's his own man and maybe losing a central defender and goalkeeper who had great seasons did affect his team more than usual.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #568 on: May 21, 2021, 07:54:07 AM »
Wilder played a 4-2-3-1 & 4-4-2 formation at Northampton. I think he’d look at what the strength of the team is and adapt his formation to that.

This is my hope if it is Wilder. However robbed of one or two key players that made the 3-5-2 work and surrounded by big flashing signs that things weren't working and critically enough players to do something different he ploughed on regardless. With some distance and time to reflect and a wholly different group of players maybe he will do something different.

However he has worked with this shape for 6 years and 5 of them have been very successful so I do fear that he will revert to it.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #569 on: May 21, 2021, 08:35:09 AM »

He also reportedly said no to the palace job as it’s too much of a rebuild with how many out of contract players they have. I imagine the same answer will be given to us.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #570 on: May 21, 2021, 08:35:32 AM »

Bullying our board would be like robbing a bank with an empty safe
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #571 on: May 21, 2021, 08:37:39 AM »
Maybe we should offer it to Pereira as a player manager, might be the only way we keep him  :D

Or see if Krov fancies a crack at manager.  ;D

I fully expect it to be wilder, we are known admirers, he has knowledge of championship and winning the league, no compensation needed, only conversation needed would be budget and if he can work with the current squad.

I have a bad feeling about Terry and Alex O’Neil too for some reason.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #572 on: May 21, 2021, 08:48:01 AM »
One small detail about Wilder. He was on megabucks at Sheff United so will need to significantly lower his salary expectations.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #573 on: May 21, 2021, 08:49:54 AM »
I'm not getting a lot of the support for Frank Lampard. Gives youth a chance? Had to initially at Chelsea but let's not forget he also swapped and changed an expensively assembled and unbalanced squad at the drop of a hat.

Seemed quite disparaging towards us following the 3-3 at ours if memory serves so I imagine we'd be a bit of a come down for him. I think the 'right' Championship club he has in mind's closer to the Fulham Road than the Brummie Road.

Talks a good game as a pundit, not the worst appointment we could make but I just don't see him as a good fit. And who are all these young players he's going to select as first team starters in a promotion push from the Championship?

'If' reports are correct and we're unwilling to pay £700,000 for the services of a head coach to guide a promotion push to the monies on offer in the Premier League, I wouldn't want to be a computer screen facing Luke Dowling with hot tea in his mouth when he sees what Chelsea may well ask for in loan fees for their human farm products.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #574 on: May 21, 2021, 09:00:40 AM »
Maybe we should offer it to Pereira as a player manager, might be the only way we keep him  :D

Or see if Krov fancies a crack at manager.  ;D

I fully expect it to be wilder, we are known admirers, he has knowledge of championship and winning the league, no compensation needed, only conversation needed would be budget and if he can work with the current squad.

I have a bad feeling about Terry and Alex O’Neil too for some reason.

Presume you mean Alex Neil. He worries me too.
I'm sure I read that Terry has a release clause for a management gig as well, so I don't think money would be an issue for him.