1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441648 times)

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #500 on: May 20, 2021, 05:57:18 PM »
Whoever we get we should be planning for long term.  If that means a promotion and relegation so be it.  Be confident your long term plan will work rather than pull the trigger and bring in Steve Bruce or something.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #501 on: May 20, 2021, 05:57:25 PM »
Plus Allardyce judging by his comments on the matter, which will just encourage Dowling to double down on it.
If its not British especially Wilder or Appleton I'd be stunned . No issue listening to Allardyce having had this squad but I'd hope Dowling won't bank everything on his words .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #502 on: May 20, 2021, 05:58:06 PM »
Gareth Ainsworth ? Done wonders at Wycombe ?
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #503 on: May 20, 2021, 05:58:53 PM »
Defintely more complicated now, but of the names I mentioned, Terzic, Rangnick, Hecking, Bosz, Rosler, all have managed in the top division. Terzic and Bosz have got through to the latter stages of the Champions League.

I've no idea why any of those names aside from maybe Rosler who is not very good, would give us a 2nd glance.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #504 on: May 20, 2021, 06:08:54 PM »
What annoys me is that everyone just concentrates on British based managers. Why?
Ambitious clubs besides the Big 6, such as Southampton,Norwich, Watford, dare I say Wolves are prepared to think outside the box and go for a foreign manager. The foreign managers often bring new tactical ideas, training methods which pay dividends.

And it wouldn't necessarily mean going for ones with just lower division experience.
Managers such as Edin Terzic, Peter Bosz, Ralf Rangnick have all had experience of European competition, and they are available now. Dieter Hecking has been Top 4 in the Bundesliga. The likes of Wilder, Neil, Appleton are a million miles away from that level.   

I doubt we could attract any of the above as a Premier League club Terzic perhaps, as a Championship club there is less than zero chance they aren't going to manage in a teir 2 league. That said Bilic and Cocu did sign up at Championship clubs but neither are in post two years on so I'm not sure that is a particularly good advertisement for the approach.  Incidentally Dieter Heckling last gig was at Hamburg and he failed to get them out of Bundesliga II which in relative terms is a fairly substantial under achievement.

The overseas manager market is a complete bust for this search thanks in large part to the new work permit regulations

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #505 on: May 20, 2021, 06:09:19 PM »
Defintely more complicated now, but of the names I mentioned, Terzic, Rangnick, Hecking, Bosz, Rosler, all have managed in the top division. Terzic and Bosz have got through to the latter stages of the Champions League.

I wonder whether any of them thought to commit a list to an envelope they could open at a future date to example a longstanding wish to manage the Albion.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #506 on: May 20, 2021, 06:13:05 PM »
Maresca  could be an interesting appointment, you'd think he'd have  learnt a lot from Guardiola and with us needing a big overhaul maybe he could tap into City's academy to bolster the squad. Doubt City would deprive him of the chance so possibly no compensation to pay and work permit shouldn't be an issue.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #507 on: May 20, 2021, 06:22:40 PM »
Gareth Ainsworth ? Done wonders at Wycombe ?

Bar of chocolate which could very well consume itself and ask for seconds. Surprised he doesn't just walk around stripped to the waist given the amount of buttons he leaves open on his shirts. There's something a little off about him. No idea what and I've certainly got no intention of trying to put my finger on it either.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #508 on: May 20, 2021, 06:38:49 PM »
Whoever we get we should be planning for long term.  If that means a promotion and relegation so be it.  Be confident your long term plan will work rather than pull the trigger and bring in Steve Bruce or something.

Totally agree. Would you have kept Slav on this basis?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #509 on: May 20, 2021, 06:45:38 PM »
West Brom set to hold talks with Chris Wilder after departure of Sam Allardyce | @JPercyTelegraph reports
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #510 on: May 20, 2021, 06:48:06 PM »
I doubt we could attract any of the above as a Premier League club Terzic perhaps, as a Championship club there is less than zero chance they aren't going to manage in a teir 2 league. That said Bilic and Cocu did sign up at Championship clubs but neither are in post two years on so I'm not sure that is a particularly good advertisement for the approach.  Incidentally Dieter Heckling last gig was at Hamburg and he failed to get them out of Bundesliga II which in relative terms is a fairly substantial under achievement.

The overseas manager market is a complete bust for this search thanks in large part to the new work permit regulations

What are the regulations though? We did after all still manage to sign 2 players from abroad in January.

Either way, the FA drawn up rules are so, so, so short sighted. English teams are dominating in Europe and English players are slowly starting to thrive. Why have we tried to force something that didn’t need forcing?
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #511 on: May 20, 2021, 06:49:36 PM »
West Brom set to hold talks with Chris Wilder after departure of Sam Allardyce | @JPercyTelegraph reports

Yeesh

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #512 on: May 20, 2021, 06:50:48 PM »

Can somebody get beyond the paywall and kindly copy the article in? Pretty please  ;D

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #513 on: May 20, 2021, 06:52:03 PM »

I wonder how much of a loss we will make on Grant and Diangana then? And goodbye Robinson as well.

Super Luke Dowling
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #514 on: May 20, 2021, 06:58:11 PM »
West Bromwich Albion are set to hold talks with Chris Wilder after the departure of Sam Allardyce.

Wilder, the former Sheffield United manager, is high on Albion's list of contenders to replace Allardyce and is believed to have already been approached by the club.

West Brom are preparing for a return to the Championship and Wilder, 53, ticks a lot of boxes for the Albion hierarchy as he has already achieved promotions and is a free agent.

With the club reluctant to pay compensation and damage their budget for this summer, Wilder is emerging as an increasingly attractive option following his exit from Bramall Lane in March this year.

Michael Appleton, the Lincoln manager and a former Albion player and coach, is also highly admired but his £700,000 fee is making him an unrealistic target at this stage.

West Brom's sporting and technical director Luke Dowling will consider other options, including Frank Lampard, despite the former Chelsea manager being in contention for Crystal Palace.

John Terry, the Aston Villa coach, could be another contender, with his brother Paul currently working as West Brom's loans manager.

Allardyce will also be consulted for his thoughts after announcing his decision to step down, minutes after the 3-1 home defeat to West Ham on Wednesday night.

The 66-year-old has suffered his first relegation from the Premier League and is leaving the Hawthorns after less than six months in charge.

Allardyce takes his final game in charge of the club at Leeds on Sunday afternoon.

On West Brom's search for a successor, he said: "You've got to look at what success they have had, whether that's in a lower division or in the Premier League itself.

"I still think it's risky sometimes taking a foreign manager at this level to get a club up in his first year unless it's a foreign manager already here.

"It's only one in three clubs that go up on average in the first year, so it may take a bit longer. That's why I've suggested it's not for me, because I'm not long-term any more."

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #515 on: May 20, 2021, 06:59:23 PM »
I'd rather pay the 700k and have Appleton but you do you Dowling

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #516 on: May 20, 2021, 07:11:02 PM »
I wonder how much of a loss we will make on Grant and Diangana then? And goodbye Robinson as well.

Super Luke Dowling

The only one who doesn’t fit is Grady, I actually think Grant would be best used as the left sided forward of a 2, him & Robinson could be interesting with Callum dropping deep to pick the ball up with Grant getting in behind. God knows what happens to Grady though he’s definitely not cut out to play wing back.

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #517 on: May 20, 2021, 07:15:11 PM »
Hells bells, are we really baulking at a £700k fee? And saying thats "unrealistic"? That does not bode well.
Not even bothered about Appleton personally, but if thats an indication of what the club are prepared to do or not do, its not good.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #518 on: May 20, 2021, 07:16:20 PM »
What are the regulations though? We did after all still manage to sign 2 players from abroad in January.

Either way, the FA drawn up rules are so, so, so short sighted. English teams are dominating in Europe and English players are slowly starting to thrive. Why have we tried to force something that didn’t need forcing?

Player regs are different to coach regulations. The coach regulations basically boil down to established Head Coach in teir 1 league (other big 5 leagues). The players regulations place a great deal of weight on International Appearances for top 50 ranked FIFA country. Okay and Diagne qualified on the back of being current internationals. I'm researching Championship friendly player options and the pickings are quite thin but not altogether none existent.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #519 on: May 20, 2021, 07:20:14 PM »

Super Luke Dowling

Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two forward.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #520 on: May 20, 2021, 07:22:39 PM »
I'd rather pay the 700k and have Appleton but you do you Dowling

Given a straight choice between the two I’d rather Appleton too. My reasoning for not wanting Wilder is not so much his transfer record,  but I don’t like Plan A being three at the back and I always thought that overlapping centre back idea would fall apart eventually.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #521 on: May 20, 2021, 07:34:39 PM »
Given a straight choice between the two I’d rather Appleton too. My reasoning for not wanting Wilder is not so much his transfer record,  but I don’t like Plan A being three at the back and I always thought that overlapping centre back idea would fall apart eventually.

Sorry but I don't get this going back for ex-players to come back as managers.
Only ever ends in tears.
That said I'm not sure who I'd plump for, always thought that we should have given Pearson a go when we appointed Bilic. Pearson went to Bristol City back in Feb, not done anything there but then again the damage was done their before he arrived, a bit like when Sam came here
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #522 on: May 20, 2021, 07:36:24 PM »
West Bromwich Albion are set to hold talks with Chris Wilder after the departure of Sam Allardyce.

Wilder, the former Sheffield United manager, is high on Albion's list of contenders to replace Allardyce and is believed to have already been approached by the club.

West Brom are preparing for a return to the Championship and Wilder, 53, ticks a lot of boxes for the Albion hierarchy as he has already achieved promotions and is a free agent.

With the club reluctant to pay compensation and damage their budget for this summer, Wilder is emerging as an increasingly attractive option following his exit from Bramall Lane in March this year.

Michael Appleton, the Lincoln manager and a former Albion player and coach, is also highly admired but his £700,000 fee is making him an unrealistic target at this stage.

West Brom's sporting and technical director Luke Dowling will consider other options, including Frank Lampard, despite the former Chelsea manager being in contention for Crystal Palace.

John Terry, the Aston Villa coach, could be another contender, with his brother Paul currently working as West Brom's loans manager.

Allardyce will also be consulted for his thoughts after announcing his decision to step down, minutes after the 3-1 home defeat to West Ham on Wednesday night.

The 66-year-old has suffered his first relegation from the Premier League and is leaving the Hawthorns after less than six months in charge.

Allardyce takes his final game in charge of the club at Leeds on Sunday afternoon.

On West Brom's search for a successor, he said: "You've got to look at what success they have had, whether that's in a lower division or in the Premier League itself.

"I still think it's risky sometimes taking a foreign manager at this level to get a club up in his first year unless it's a foreign manager already here.

"It's only one in three clubs that go up on average in the first year, so it may take a bit longer. That's why I've suggested it's not for me, because I'm not long-term any more."

Legend!

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #523 on: May 20, 2021, 07:43:30 PM »
So we know Wilder operates with a back 3...but is 343 a viable option as that uses the best of the front 3 we have on our books. I imagine being able to utilise Grant and Diangana will be a part of the talks surely.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #524 on: May 20, 2021, 07:47:28 PM »
Sorry but I don't get this going back for ex-players to come back as managers.
Only ever ends in tears.
That said I'm not sure who I'd plump for, always thought that we should have given Pearson a go when we appointed Bilic. Pearson went to Bristol City back in Feb, not done anything there but then again the damage was done their before he arrived, a bit like when Sam came here

I did say given a choice between Wilder and Appleton. I don’t actually want Appleton either, I’m one of those who criticised us for continuously bringing Appleton back in to our coaching set up at all.