1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 450811 times)

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #400 on: May 20, 2021, 10:40:47 AM »
Should be 'Nuff. Bloody autocorrect.

You can edit your own posts, fyi
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #401 on: May 20, 2021, 10:45:52 AM »
You may be right re Frank but we would need the entire package not just a change of manager

I agree, especially his scouts....

That's what we need here NJS, fresh thinking. Seeing names like Howe, Terry, Wilder and others on here makes me want to cry to be honest.
MAGA!

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #402 on: May 20, 2021, 10:54:03 AM »
I don't know how Terry will turn out as a Head Coach but there is no way do I want WBA to be part of his journey to either punditry or Stamford Bridge. It is one or the other and neither is of any use to us.
The same would be true of Lampard of course. We need someone whom, if successful, would be willing to stick around and not be eyeing moving to a bigger club after a couple of seasons as soon as he arrives.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #403 on: May 20, 2021, 11:10:14 AM »
Darren Moore?
A bit more experience under his belt.
His desire belongs to the Baggies. He could generate that "go for it" feeling in the dressing room.
He had no chance with the signings left to him last time.
Start afresh and build a new team who are young and eager.

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #404 on: May 20, 2021, 11:15:13 AM »
 I would prefer that we were linked to some overseas based potential candidates with fresh ideas and a modern approach. I find very little in the list of options to choose that inspire me.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #405 on: May 20, 2021, 11:21:52 AM »
Whoever we get will have to be

A. Cheap
B. Prepared to accept signings he may not want
C. Have a 'get out' clause to save us from paying compensation from current club
D. Like seeing his best players leave
E. Work with a lack of appropriate investment

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #406 on: May 20, 2021, 11:24:23 AM »
Just putting this out there for comment. My friend in Portugal made this recommendation. I've never heard of him, nor have I investigated his claims. I'd like to try something different, I was disappointed the Bilic experiment didn't work out, but I have little confidence in this board that would have difficulty in picking its nose. We all know it'll be Wilder, Hodgson or an ex player like Appleton or McInnes. Cheap is the key word. Anyway what do you think of the recommendation?
Can let you have a great young guy another Portuguese , Rubin Amorim , young , mature , from Sporting ,Lisbon , 2nd season won the championship beating Benfica and Porto , believes in young talent , Sporting last won the championship 19 yrs ago.
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #407 on: May 20, 2021, 11:25:54 AM »
Just putting this out there for comment. My friend in Portugal made this recommendation. I've never heard of him, nor have I investigated his claims. I'd like to try something different, I was disappointed the Bilic experiment didn't work out, but I have little confidence in this board that would have difficulty in picking its nose. We all know it'll be Wilder, Hodgson or an ex player like Appleton or McInnes. Cheap is the key word. Anyway what do you think of the recommendation?
Can let you have a great young guy another Portuguese , Rubin Amorim , young , mature , from Sporting ,Lisbon , 2nd season won the championship beating Benfica and Porto , believes in young talent , Sporting last won the championship 19 yrs ago.

His CV is far too good for us :)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #408 on: May 20, 2021, 11:26:03 AM »
Darren Moore?
A bit more experience under his belt.
His desire belongs to the Baggies. He could generate that "go for it" feeling in the dressing room.
He had no chance with the signings left to him last time.
Start afresh and build a new team who are young and eager.

I think his time has passed DB, I am not sure he would command the same respect from the dressing room now given the churn of players. A great defender and friend of the club. Personally I would not want it because inevitably at some stage he is likely to be shown the door.....again.

A bit like taking your dog to the vets for the last time.

We need to look forward with fresh thinking.
MAGA!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #409 on: May 20, 2021, 11:28:09 AM »
Whoever we get will have to be

A. Cheap
B. Prepared to accept signings he may not want
C. Have a 'get out' clause to save us from paying compensation from current club
D. Like seeing his best players leave
E. Work with a lack of appropriate investment
Says who?

I can't imagine many of those applied to Allardyce.

Nor did they apply to Bilic when he was appointed

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #410 on: May 20, 2021, 11:38:28 AM »
The same would be true of Lampard of course. We need someone whom, if successful, would be willing to stick around and not be eyeing moving to a bigger club after a couple of seasons as soon as he arrives.

Loyalty is earned and our board is too trigger happy to deserve any, so we have be realistic.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #411 on: May 20, 2021, 11:40:17 AM »

Sounds great but why would he want to leave Sporting Lisbon to manager Albion in the championship? Also, always a massive risk appointing a manager with no experience of English football.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #412 on: May 20, 2021, 11:40:51 AM »
Says who?

I can't imagine many of those applied to Allardyce.

Nor did they apply to Bilic when he was appointed

Do you think Bilic wanted Kipre??
Do you think we made enough investment last year??
We generally look for managers out of work to save on compensation
Allardyce would have been in a strong position when we went begging, the new boss wont be in such a strong position to dictate, unless he is a big name,
which I doubt.
Theres no way we will see SJ & MP playing in the Championship

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #413 on: May 20, 2021, 11:41:08 AM »
Any manager or player that comes here and is successful is going to leave us for better things. We just have to appreciate our position in the food chain and enjoy any good moments we have.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #414 on: May 20, 2021, 11:49:00 AM »
Basically non of us know who would do a good job so you need due diligence and a man whose teams are competitive but play in a stylish manner
Personally I would look at Paul Cook who handled himself and Wigan so well
Michael Appleton who on the surface seems a decent manager and Ryan Lowe who got Bury promoted and when they went bust he moved to the opposite end of the country and got Plymouth promoted and see if they met the above criteria

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #415 on: May 20, 2021, 11:51:43 AM »

We're not a rich club and we can't buy our way into the EPL or into staying there.  We  need to reset and learn how to exploit our academy more effectively.  We need a manager that can get the best out of a squad that has fewer star players than other clubs.

I dont entirely agree with this. We can't spend our way to staying there, but we have  started every championship season with a financial advantage over other teams every year since Megson first got us promoted.

On another note i've seen some suggestion of the Barnsley manager and I like the sound of him too. If you look at the table and what hes done with Barnsley it looks great. However the more i've seen and read about the style I'm not sure longer term. It will be interesting to see his career play out and if it works.

If he only has that one style my fear would be his teams would get battered in the prem unless he had the best players. I also think teams in the championship will learn to combat it better next season if they dont win the play offs.

Baltic

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #416 on: May 20, 2021, 12:03:16 PM »
It's a gamble, but its always a gamble! I too like what Valerien Ismael has achieved this season.  He now has good current knowledge of how to win games in the Championship.

I think he would ensure fitness and high press football.  If you add the superior budget/attacking options that we have, it might just be a successful combination.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #417 on: May 20, 2021, 12:05:00 PM »
It's a gamble, but its always a gamble! I too like what Valerien Ismael has achieved this season.  He now has good current knowledge of how to win games in the Championship. I think he would ensure fitness and high press football.  If you add the superior budget/attacking options that we have, it might just be a successful combination.

Good shout IMV.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #418 on: May 20, 2021, 12:06:34 PM »
His CV is far too good for us :)

On 4 March 2021, Amorim renewed his contract for one more year, with an improved release clause of €30 million.[40] On 11 May, following a 1–0 home win against Boavista, he led the team to their first national championship in 19 years.[41]

Not a chance with that release clause !

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #419 on: May 20, 2021, 12:34:10 PM »
Lots of articles about Lampard surfacing right now, seems to have emanated from Rob Dorsett.

Radio 5 now discussing us.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #420 on: May 20, 2021, 12:36:49 PM »
I completely agree with Allardyce's comment that we need to appoint a young and ambitious manager and give him some time to build a new side. At this point in time I don't have a stand out preference, though any of the "old guard" would clearly be a negative step. Of the candidates mentioned, I dislike John Terry probably even more than I disliked Allardyce (so it will probably be him haha). Similar to Wayne Rooney, I just don't see him as becoming a good manager. Otherwise, happy to watch developments and try to keep an open(ish) mind.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #421 on: May 20, 2021, 12:38:42 PM »
Allardyce would have been in a strong position when we went begging, the new boss wont be in such a strong position to dictate, unless he is a big name,
which I doubt.
: Maybe not but he did want Grant and I know which was the bigger expenditure and risk.

: There is a difference between lack of funds and lack of investment. We actually overspent against the budget. Of course it wasn't enough but double or treble it probably wouldn't have been enough. If we had done that, and still gone down, then I would be genuinely concerned for our future

: That makes good financial sense surely. I would imagine, at any given time, there are more managers out of work than in and, of those in work, only a tiny percentage would be operating with any degree of success, so compensation for them would be rightly very high..

which I doubt.

: This is contradictory. You say we won't go for a big name yet admit that our last appointment was, not only a big name, but a big name in a very strong bargaining position.

: Johnstone's contract situation, plus his frailties, mean it is the optimum time to sell, again, good business sense. As for Pereira, he is too good for the Championship and will likely want and deserves to play at the highest level. No club in our position would be able to keep him if he wanted to leave.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #422 on: May 20, 2021, 01:07:48 PM »
I would like to see Eddie Howe but doubt we will. I wouldn't mind Lampard at all either. Terry would be a gamble but it may work out. After all he is a natural leader as demonstrated many times in his playing days. Jokanovic would be another on my list.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #423 on: May 20, 2021, 01:11:38 PM »
"Rob Dorsett
@RobDorsettSky
Chris Wilder and Frank Lampard top of #wbafc list to talk to, after Allardyce departure. Lampard more likely for #cpfc. Albion focussing on out of work managers, coz any compensation paid will come out of player/transfer budget for next season."

So even our new boss has to be a free transfer. Sounds like Wilder is favourite.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #424 on: May 20, 2021, 01:24:49 PM »
Have to think Lampard is high up on Palace's list currently.

However the upside to him if he were to come in to contention is we would get at least 3 decent loans from Chelsea next season much like Derby did in his season with them.