1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 446698 times)

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #325 on: May 19, 2021, 11:17:56 PM »
We need someone with football knowlwdge to cover for the fact dowling and the board have no clue what they're doing....

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #326 on: May 19, 2021, 11:18:49 PM »
Wilder's favourite formation is 5-3-2 which tells you enough. A very negative formation which means goals will always hard to come by. Explains why Sheff Utd only managed 18 goals under him. (we've scored almost twice that).
P.S. And when Burke is one of the 2 up front, you've got bigger problems.

This always seems to get thrown around at Wilder about the goals scored by Sheff United this season.

To put it in greater context

2019-20 - scored 39, conceded 39 - finished 9th with 54 points
2018-19 - scored 78, conceded 41 - finished 2nd with 89 points
2017-18 - scored 57, conceded 49 - finished 10th with 65 points
2016-17 - scored 92, conceded 47 - finished 1st with 100 points
2015-16 - scored 82, conceded 46 - finished 1st with 99 points
2914-15 - scored 67, conceded 62 - finished 12th with 61 points

The three seasons prior at Oxford saw them achieve over 60 points in each season with goals for tallies of 60, 59, 57

His championship record:

Managed; 92
Won; 46
Drawn; 20
Lost; 26
Goals for; 140
Goals against; 96
PPM: 1.72

He averages 1.58 points per game across his managerial career.

Not bad by any stretch of the imagination. We could do a lot worse - though there are concerns as to whether this squad suits him.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #327 on: May 19, 2021, 11:19:01 PM »
Steve Cooper for me

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #328 on: May 19, 2021, 11:20:16 PM »
Steve Cooper for me

No thanks, far too ugly, I do not want to see that face regularly

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #329 on: May 19, 2021, 11:21:23 PM »
Allardyce: "I believe the club now needs stability and continuity and this would, in my opinion, best be provided by a young and ambitious manager who can get us back to where we should be as an established Premier League football club.“

“Young and ambitious.” So who fits that bill?

Chris Wilder is 53 so although he’s younger than me and quite a lot younger than Allardyce, I don’t think you can really call a 53 year old “young.”

And I fear for us. I do hope I’m wrong, but I wonder if our run of success in the Championship may be about to come to an end. People have grown accustomed to it, almost expecting it, but it has to end sometime and our squad needs major surgery from front to back. I don’t like the look of our team at all - 73 goals conceded, 26 points, best players leaving, weaknesses in every department, and far from a promotion team in the second half of the last Championship campaign. Add to that a wretched recent recruitment record.

If they get this appointment and the signings wrong (again), Albion could be the mid-table Championship club Jeremy Peace described some years ago. Or worse.

I’m a lot more worried tonight now we know Allardyce has taken a look - and the cold hard truth is he doesn’t fancy it.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #330 on: May 19, 2021, 11:22:40 PM »
Steve Cooper for me

Yep good call but he'd have worked well with an Ashworth above him, dowling wouldn't work with Cooper-  a forward thinking coach interested in developing a young,  dynamic ball playing team

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #331 on: May 19, 2021, 11:23:13 PM »
Needs to be someone who has a back bone and willing to put his foot down. This squad potentially has a huge rebuild in the summer.

I imagine they will try all out for wilder. My concern with him is the current squad is the furthest away from how he plays.
Add to that Robinson won’t get a game and some of Wilders recent signings, doesn’t fill me with confidence. How keen is he to manage a team other than his boyhood club too?

Knowing Dowling, it will be Wilder, Howe, O’Neil and maybe a revisit to Jokanovic.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #332 on: May 19, 2021, 11:23:54 PM »
This always seems to get thrown around at Wilder about the goals scored by Sheff United this season.

To put it in greater context

2019-20 - scored 39, conceded 39 - finished 9th with 54 points
2018-19 - scored 78, conceded 41 - finished 2nd with 89 points
2017-18 - scored 57, conceded 49 - finished 10th with 65 points
2016-17 - scored 92, conceded 47 - finished 1st with 100 points
2015-16 - scored 82, conceded 46 - finished 1st with 99 points
2914-15 - scored 67, conceded 62 - finished 12th with 61 points

The three seasons prior at Oxford saw them achieve over 60 points in each season with goals for tallies of 60, 59, 57

His championship record:

Managed; 92
Won; 46
Drawn; 20
Lost; 26
Goals for; 140
Goals against; 96
PPM: 1.72

He averages 1.58 points per game across his managerial career.

Not bad by any stretch of the imagination. We could do a lot worse - though there are concerns as to whether this squad suits him.

What leagues were Oxford playing in? League 1 and 2 is pub football. How come Sheff Utd were so goal shy over two premiership seasons? How much he spend on Brewster? He had no idea how to set up a team to carry a threat in the top flight. As soon as Dean Henderson left it fell apart for him. I know he’s got a good lower league record but that is a totally substandard level of football. 

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #333 on: May 19, 2021, 11:27:52 PM »
Allardyce: "I believe the club now needs stability and continuity and this would, in my opinion, best be provided by a young and ambitious manager who can get us back to where we should be as an established Premier League football club.“

“Young and ambitious.” So who fits that bill?

Chris Wilder is 53 so although he’s younger than me and quite a lot younger than Allardyce, I don’t think you can really call a 53 year old “young.”

And I fear for us. I do hope I’m wrong, but I wonder if our run of success in the Championship may be about to come to an end. People have grown accustomed to it, almost expecting it, but it has to end sometime and our squad needs major surgery from front to back. I don’t like the look of our team at all - 73 goals conceded, 26 points, best players leaving, weaknesses in every department, and far from a promotion team in the second half of the last Championship campaign. Add to that a wretched recent recruitment record.

If they get this appointment and the signings wrong (again), Albion could be the mid-table Championship club Jeremy Peace described some years ago. Or worse.

I’m a lot more worried tonight now we know Allardyce has taken a look - and the cold hard truth is he doesn’t fancy it.

Whilst I also have concerns, this squad is still attractive to a manager.

If Johnstone goes they have a choice of Button, Palmer (arguably best keeper in league 1 this year) and Griffiths (arguably league 2 keeper of the year).

Furlong and Townsend are solid championship fullbacks. Ajayi is good enough for championship.

Snodgrass depending on his recovery will be useful. Sawyers if played correctly.

Robinson, Grant and Grady are a solid forward 3 in the championship and on paper would get goals.

If you can rebuild the midfield with the money we will get from Pereira and add a couple other players (the likes of Mowatt, Assombalanga, Smith are all useful free agents), and nick a couple loans from the prem and you have a play off squad at your disposal.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #334 on: May 19, 2021, 11:30:54 PM »
What leagues were Oxford playing in? League 1 and 2 is pub football. How come Sheff Utd were so goal shy over two premiership seasons? How much he spend on Brewster? He had no idea how to set up a team to carry a threat in the top flight. As soon as Dean Henderson left it fell apart for him. I know he’s got a good lower league record but that is a totally substandard level of football.

Wilders a good manager. I remember Sheff United the season we missed out on promotion they were solid and good going forward.

My biggest concern is trusting him with money.

Brewster, McBurnie, Burke, Ramsdale are just a few of his recent big money signings  :-X

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #335 on: May 19, 2021, 11:31:00 PM »
If you set up as 5-3-2 its all about having a compact defence, and trying to nick a 1-0.
Surely, we're better than that?  Is there a place for flair players at Sheff Utd? Can't think of many. Brewster had a decent reputation at Liverpool but is obvious he was feeding off scraps under Wilder's football. The less said about Burke the better.
If we end up with Wilder, doubt I'll be visiting the Hawthorns too much.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #336 on: May 19, 2021, 11:33:14 PM »
Wilders a good manager. I remember Sheff United the season we missed out on promotion they were solid and good going forward.

Brewster, McBurnie, Burke, Ramsdale are just a few of his recent big money signings  :-X

We don’t need to worry about Wilder wasting money.

Dowling will do that for us  ;D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #337 on: May 19, 2021, 11:34:39 PM »

Brewster should have been a good but expensive signing in fairness
Ramsdale came off the back of an excellent season
Burke, indefensible
McBurnie, can't really comment as I know his history
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #338 on: May 19, 2021, 11:34:48 PM »
If you set up as 5-3-2 its all about having a compact defence, and trying to nick a 1-0.
Surely, we're better than that?  Is there a place for flair players at Sheff Utd? Can't think of many. Brewster had a decent reputation at Liverpool but is obvious he was feeding off scraps under Wilder's football. The less said about Burke the better.
If we end up with Wilder, doubt I'll be visiting the Hawthorns too much.

I agree with you. Harland and Mbappe would have struggled to score goals playing for Sheff Utd. As soon as they lost their keeper they fell apart as no team you can’t sustain a place in the premiership without at least being able to score a goal a game.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #339 on: May 19, 2021, 11:57:36 PM »
Graeme Jones being mentioned  :o

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #340 on: May 19, 2021, 11:58:06 PM »

Good lord

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #341 on: May 19, 2021, 11:58:34 PM »
Big Dave as his number 2?

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #342 on: May 19, 2021, 11:59:36 PM »

Yep! Look forward to Alex Palmer attempting to play the ball out from the back next season  ;D

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #343 on: May 20, 2021, 12:00:18 AM »
Yep! Look forward to Alex Palmer attempting to play the ball out from the back next season  ;D

Oh god I forgot how much I hated these pair in charge

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #344 on: May 20, 2021, 12:01:02 AM »

As long as that's all he is - mentioned.

Cant see us appointing him for a second.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #345 on: May 20, 2021, 12:01:40 AM »

Haha! I was just thinking that 😆

Let’s make this reunion official by ensuring Jimmy Shan is part of the coaching staff too. You know, just in case!

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #346 on: May 20, 2021, 12:24:38 AM »
Wilder no where near as bad as people are making out. Bear in mind we have had Pulis, Allardyce, Pardew and Irvine...

Steve Cooper or Jokanovic would be 2 options I would be interested in. I would also look abroad but personally don't know enough about the options.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #347 on: May 20, 2021, 12:32:58 AM »
My biggest fear is knowing Dowling is a very big fan of John Terry. I shudder at the thought of his appointment.

I think Terry will get it as I posted in the other thread prior to seeing this.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #348 on: May 20, 2021, 12:36:35 AM »
I think Terry will get it as I posted in the other thread prior to seeing this.

Terry is completely unknown in management terms. Impossible to know what to expect. He's an interesting option.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #349 on: May 20, 2021, 12:49:01 AM »
Terry is a seriously terrible option. I might have some fairly significant reservations about Wilder but he is so far ahead of Terry he is lapping him.

Personally I would go with a short list of Appleton, Robbins and Evatt.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.