1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441683 times)

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #250 on: May 14, 2021, 11:29:59 PM »
Hodgson linked in the sun, I’d love that.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #251 on: May 14, 2021, 11:32:00 PM »
The sun reporting we could turn to Hodgson if Sam does leave. I don't know how to feel. I'll always love RH for his spell with us previously but he is 73 and has never coached in the championship. I'd be worried for the blokes health if he did join. The championship is even more stressful and taxing than the premier league.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #252 on: May 14, 2021, 11:40:15 PM »
I like Hodgson and he was good for us the first time round but no not now.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #253 on: May 15, 2021, 12:07:22 AM »
I think we should just leave Hodgson in the past. Have fond memories of what he did for us previously and help Swan off into retirement by not appointing him.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #254 on: May 15, 2021, 12:45:01 AM »
I'm not sure why Sam would bother going to the FA youth cup game if he's not going to stay. Seems a pointless thing to do if he's not looking for kids who may take part next season
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #255 on: May 15, 2021, 08:28:56 AM »
I'm not sure why Sam would bother going to the FA youth cup game if he's not going to stay. Seems a pointless thing to do if he's not looking for kids who may take part next season

Agree. I thought the same.

Wouldn't mind Hodgson though. I think he may feel he owes us. Young coaches like Mozza, Brunt etc around him to learn.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #256 on: May 15, 2021, 08:49:16 AM »
Hodgson in a heartbeat. He’s still doing a good job at Palace.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #257 on: May 15, 2021, 09:10:15 AM »
I really like Hodgson but putting aside the age thing why would he leave the Palace gig?
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #258 on: May 15, 2021, 09:12:36 AM »
I really like Hodgson but putting aside the age thing why would he leave the Palace gig?

He’s out of contract in the summer.

I don’t think palace have instigated any discussions regarding a new deal so it would suggest that he’ll be off in the summer.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #259 on: May 15, 2021, 09:14:50 AM »
On the one hand there is speculation as to whether Allardyce at 66 wants another season or two because he has health concerns yet we are now linked with one of the two active managers in the top 2 tiers who is older  the other being Warnock (can we all agree that would be bad)

Hodgson is ridiculous he is will be 74 by the start of next season he has overstayed at Palace by at least a season. We can't wind the clock back by a decade. He is leaving Palace because they aren't renewing his contract and need to move on we should do the same.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #260 on: May 15, 2021, 09:44:54 AM »
On the one hand there is speculation as to whether Allardyce at 66 wants another season or two because he has health concerns yet we are now linked with one of the two active managers in the top 2 tiers who is older  the other being Warnock (can we all agree that would be bad)

Hodgson is ridiculous he is will be 74 by the start of next season he has overstayed at Palace by at least a season. We can't wind the clock back by a decade. He is leaving Palace because they aren't renewing his contract and need to move on we should do the same.

This. Loved Hodgson, but he's ancient now and you should never go back, as they say.
Allllllll aboard

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #261 on: May 15, 2021, 09:48:51 AM »
This. Loved Hodgson, but he's ancient now and you should never go back, as they say.

My thoughts entirely - Roy should retire with grace, he has earned it.
MAGA!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #262 on: May 15, 2021, 10:34:13 AM »
I desperately want Sam to stay, imo, he is our best chance of promotion.

But if he decides the job isn’t for him, I would like an up and coming manager and would suggest Barnsley’s Valérien Ismaël is added to the poll please Liam

How about Roy Hudson becoming our Director of Football?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #263 on: May 15, 2021, 10:51:13 AM »
Hodgson been my favourite manager and I want it to stay that way, they say never go back for a reason

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #264 on: May 15, 2021, 11:38:37 AM »
.......How about Roy Hudson becoming our Director of Football?

Not sure how I'd feel about having a Director of Football who turned down the opportunity to sign Jamie Vardy when he had the chance as Albion manager.

We'd scouted him numerous times. All the reports were good apparently. Hodgson watched him play once on a miserable night and based on that one solitary performance said no.

We know the ear cupped rest. I think it's time Roy enjoyed the relaxing fruits of a lifetime of his labours in football.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #265 on: May 15, 2021, 11:53:35 AM »
Not sure how I'd feel about having a Director of Football who turned down the opportunity to sign Jamie Vardy when he had the chance as Albion manager.

We'd scouted him numerous times. All the reports were good apparently. Hodgson watched him play once on a miserable night and based on that one solitary performance said no.

We know the ear cupped rest. I think it's time Roy enjoyed the relaxing fruits of a lifetime of his labours in football.

On the flip side he also brought in Gmac after seeing him play once and after Ashworth had dismissed him as Ipswich had been thrashed in that game.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #266 on: May 15, 2021, 11:59:41 AM »
If Hodgson wanted to move from day to day coaching to a Director of Football role he would have done it when he finished with England he didn't so I think it is fairly safe to assume he isn't interested in that type of role. Equally DoF is hardly undemanding if we have concerns about him as coach because of his age then they apply equally to Dof . We just need to move on.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 12:11:38 PM by Standaman »

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #267 on: May 15, 2021, 12:08:46 PM »
On the flip side he also brought in Gmac after seeing him play once and after Ashworth had dismissed him as Ipswich had been thrashed in that game.
He did but Brunt was reportedly involved in this as well due to the Irish squad connection.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #268 on: May 15, 2021, 01:00:09 PM »

At the time GMac was signed I couldn't understand some of the comments surrounding his arrival. He was perfect for what Hodgson wanted.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #269 on: May 15, 2021, 02:12:03 PM »
He did but Brunt was reportedly involved in this as well due to the Irish squad connection.

Brunt was involved in so much as when asked by Ashworth about him, he gave him a glowing recommendation. Then after the Ashworth and Roy went to see him and Ipswich lost 6 Nil, or something as equally embarrassing,  Ashworth took the **** Out of Brunt for giving him such a recommendation, whereas Roy had seen a quality player whom he signed.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 03:21:17 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #270 on: May 15, 2021, 05:02:17 PM »
This is just depressing as I have said before ask me 3 months ago I would have said get rid of Big Sam. But Big Sam turned it on last month or so and for once it was exciting to watch us actually play well with Pereira looking class now I want Big Sam to stay he got West Ham out of Chumps and secured them in the PL let him do that with us then send him on his way along with the board then rebuild and hopefully by then Fans have a say in what happens. So as long as he can and willing to Big Sam to stay on.
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #271 on: May 15, 2021, 08:33:44 PM »
He’s out of contract in the summer.

I don’t think palace have instigated any discussions regarding a new deal so it would suggest that he’ll be off in the summer.

Ah blimey I'm a dope. Thanks Liam.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #272 on: May 15, 2021, 10:39:04 PM »
Hodgson in a Championship scrap - no thanks despite him being brilliant for us.

Although! He probably Is streets ahead of some of the individuals we have lined up.

Just too old for me. He needs to sit back and enjoy his retirement and let the mad world of football buzz around him.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #273 on: May 16, 2021, 09:24:24 AM »
Hodgson in a Championship scrap - no thanks despite him being brilliant for us.

Although! He probably Is streets ahead of some of the individuals we have lined up.

Just too old for me. He needs to sit back and enjoy his retirement and let the mad world of football buzz around him.

Hodgson has forgotten more about football management than most will ever know.   There is hardly anyone better to learn from, and we really could do a lot worse than bring him here for a 2-year deal with the right young assistant groomed to take over from him to fully exploit that knowledge.  Maybe the right set-up for Appleton, even Morrison or Brunt or Darren Fletcher.   

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #274 on: May 16, 2021, 11:09:34 AM »
Hodgson has forgotten more about football management than most will ever know.   There is hardly anyone better to learn from, and we really could do a lot worse than bring him here for a 2-year deal with the right young assistant groomed to take over from him to fully exploit that knowledge.  Maybe the right set-up for Appleton, even Morrison or Brunt or Darren Fletcher.   

On the face of it that sounds like an appealing prospect but I don't think it works. Roy is still in charge and he hasn't got two years in him and when whoever takes over despite sitting at the feet of the Great Man is still a rookie Head Coach and he might do exactly and say the same things but he is not doing it with the same authority.  If there was a time to do this it was at Palace and well they didn't nor did he suggest it.

Monkey see monkey do has been football's modus operandi forever. Many coaching career has been launched by association with greatness either played for or assisted one of the game's greats has been launch pad for many coaching careers. However the success rate is such that it is almost a negative indicator of future sucess.

Association with Alex Ferguson whose longevity at the pinnacle of the game has given ample opportunity to spawn two generations of coaches has to date given us Steve Bruce and the rest is pretty much a bust. Sir Bobby Robson I think had at various stages Van Gaal and Mourinho as assistants  but how much of their future sucess was down to his mentoring is debatable but I am sure it helped.

Steven Reid has been assistant to Hodgson at Palace has has a similar role with Chis Hughton at Forest and worked with Steve Clarke in the Scotland set up. As an assistant had as much exposure to experienced Head Coaches as someone working with Roy for a couple of seasons would but he isn't on anyone's radar for this job nor should he be.   
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 11:38:53 AM by Standaman »