1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441695 times)

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2021, 10:20:48 PM »
Maresca was Assistant at West Ham for a fair while so not just kids at City .Played in several countries , picked up languages . Think he will be a useful manager in time but not ready now .
I'd be more interested in him than say Wilder for instance though .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2021, 10:21:47 PM »
Regardless Nigel Person whilst one of the better shouts is an absolute nutter and a bit too unstable.

Where are you putting your money so we can interrogate your suggestion?  ;D

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

brummyroader

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2021, 10:21:57 PM »
Genuinely see no negatives for Big Sam for next season. Has multiple promotions on his CV, will identify weaknesses and rectify a full pre season should see this lot fitter than ever.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2021, 10:22:11 PM »
Nah! he is just a character  ;D  I like his abrasiveness mixed with unusual communicative skills
I like his Twitter posts that end in " Cheers Nige " like he's your milk man ;D

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2021, 10:22:48 PM »
My real choice would be Ralf Rangnick, currently looking to manage a 'traditional' German or English club. The bloke is credited with teaching Nagelsmann and Tuchel a lot about football tactics etc. The slim hope I have is that he was heavily linked with us about 8 or 9 years ago. Obviously being relegated doesn't make WBA more attractive, but there again, he was engaged in serious negotiations to manage Schalke when it was obvious they would be relegated. 

However, realistically I doubt Dowlling would be looking at anyone without an English track record, so I've voted for Lampard. He plays good expansive football, and was obviously prepared to manage Derby, a club of similar size to us.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2021, 10:23:04 PM »
Enzo could go on to be a great manager, we just don’t know.   

I’d agree it’s a gamble we can’t afford to take though. Arteta should be enough to show doing well in a role at city doesn’t mean you’ll be an instant success elsewhere and we do need early success next year. I doubt there would be any calls for him if he wasn’t an ex-player.

I was pro allardyce staying anyway, but that list makes me more so.  At one point Potter was rumoured to be under threat and I’d have snapped him up if he had been dismissed but I suspect he was never really in danger. 

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2021, 10:23:08 PM »
Before anyone chooses Chris Wilder, bear in mind Sheff Utd scored just 18 goals this season. An appalling record and only just half of what we scored. If we chose him, the football would be a poorer version of Allardyce's. Very much one of British football's dinosaur managers. 

Sheffield United played some cracking football under Wilder, I remember when they beat us at home under big Dave they completely played us off the park. Every time I watched them it was high tempo attacking football and they ran for days, far more in the mould of Bielsa than Allardyce.  Remember he took a mid table league 1 team to 9th in the Premier League on absolute peanuts. I think they more than anyone really missed fans this year as they played with a intensity last season that wasn’t there this year, they had some long term injuries to key players early on in the season & boardroom upheaval. Granted his record this season was awful & the last transfer window was dire however he did also sign players like Enda Stevens & Jack O’Connel combined cost 350k.

Given the fact we need to get promoted within 2 seasons of been down I’d take the guy who last got promoted in 2019 & has been promoted 3 times since Allardyce last got a team up. As a manager I’d have him in a heartbeat however I would have massive reservations over him & Dowling leading transfers.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2021, 10:23:37 PM »
Anyone consider giving Steve Clarke another gig !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2021, 10:25:24 PM »
Genuinely see no negatives for Big Sam for next season. Has multiple promotions on his CV, will identify weaknesses and rectify a full pre season should see this lot fitter than ever.
Certain things I don't like but I feel like he has already starting building and shaping things behind the scenes and player wise , the back four for example would be good enough . Gut feeling tells me Dowling and co won't finance him to stay though .
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 10:28:28 PM by Dexy »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2021, 10:26:28 PM »
What Bruno Labbadia been up to lately? He was rumoured to have had several interviews before we opted for Bilic. Wonder if he will be back in the frame again

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2021, 10:30:15 PM »
Lucian Favre flopped at Dortmund, with all their might, which gives me grave concerns he could do anything at the Albion. That said, his prior CV is very impressive. Can't see why he would be interested in managing us in the championship with a meagre budget and owners trying to flee the club. Definitely one of the more interesting and forward thinking names in this thread.
"flopped" is a relative term. he had a poor 6 months where they were 5th and ended up finishing 4th. other wise he got 2nd twice.

for context, look at Klopp's last season where they finished 7th and in a similar overall position in terms of their ability compared to the rest of the league, AND that was at a time where there wasn't a 3rd main rival in RB Leipzig to contend with.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2021, 10:35:02 PM »
I think we'll stay with Allardyce but I know who I want.

Lucian Favre, as stated in another thread he's probably too ahead of us and we should've got him 5/6 years ago when he went to Nice, but if Bielsa can go to Leeds, we could try and land him. Largely a success wherever he goes and with a strong philosophy of attacking and passing football (meaning we could salvage Bilic's framework and players) while not ignoring the defensive side of the game, also has a known success rate with youth players and most importantly... is available right now.
I saw quite a bit of Borussia M'Gladbach under Favre, and would agree he plays entertaining attacking football. The other Borussia, Dortmund, then snapped him up, but I think he was only able to take them so far. It looked like the players stopped playing for him.  That said, I'd be more than happy with Favre, if he was interested.
I've no idea what his english is like, which for Rangnick wouldn't be a problem.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2021, 10:38:45 PM »
Well thank god Chris Brunt aye on the list.  ;D   It's Allardyce for me.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

brummyroader

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2021, 10:40:13 PM »
Certain things I don't like but I feel like he has already starting building and shaping things behind the scenes and player wise , the back four for example would be good enough . Gut feeling tells me Dowling and co won't finance him to stay though .

I fear you’ll be right, even if your not a big Sam fan if he doesn’t say it doesn’t offer any encouragement about how we plan to go about things in the summer. 

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2021, 10:41:39 PM »
Anyone consider giving Steve Clarke another gig !

Yes should never have been sacked
I'd argue we've never recovered from that point

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2021, 10:50:52 PM »
Short list of Evatt, Robbins and Appleton.

I might ask Vieira if he has the same bucket list as Bilic you never know although I don't want another high profile coach really except possibly Clarence Seedorf but only because he is just well you know he's Clarence Seedorf and I know he  probably isn't cut out to be a coach but............

Hughes or Lampard? I'd rather have Allardyce  which is saying something.

What Bruno Labbadia been up to lately? He was rumoured to have had several interviews before we opted for Bilic. Wonder if he will be back in the frame again

He is really the German Allardyce recruited by Hertha Berlin to sort out Klinnsman's  mess but couldn't really get them moving in the right direction and left them embroiled in another relegation battle which is absolutely not where the club wants to be. Available and probably now run out of road in Germany. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2021, 10:56:46 PM »
Hasselbaink ???
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2021, 11:02:54 PM »
Hasselbaink ???

Only ever been any good with teams called Albion....wait a minute.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2021, 11:17:43 PM »
What a depressing list of names.

Sam all day for me
MAGA!

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2021, 11:29:32 PM »
So was Wilder awful when he got Blades promoted?  Was he awful when they had a great season last year?   Of course not.

These manager forums infuriate me.  Every manager fails at some point. Wenger, Mourinho, Pochettino, some of the best in the game ever FOR A PERIOD, end up failing when they have a squad of players for whom their methods stop working. Quite often it's after around 3 years. 

Any manager who hasn't failed somewhere else at some point won't be coming here, unless he's a novice who hasn't failed yet.

Sacked managers are only a problem if their methods don't work and they keep making the same mistakes.  Mourinho, Hughes, Pulis prime examples.  The good ones learn and improve.

If it's not Allardyce then for me Wilder is ideal. I see no reason why he shouldn't reproduce what he's already achieved.  Steve Clarke wouldn't be the worst option at all, nor would Lampard.  And if Roy Hodgson fancies one last job with the right assistant to follow him I'd jump at it.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2021, 11:30:07 PM »
He's become a bit of a jorneyman in the Bundesliga. He comes across very positive, but he didn't match Hertha Berlin's ambition in his last job. Before that he got Wolfsburg into the Europa League. 
One interesting name is Edin Terzic, the 'interim' Borussia Dortmund manager. He is still young, but was assistant to Billic at West Ham, so speaks decent English. In fact , he must be quite a support for Sancho and Bellingham at Dortmund. Although he is interim Head Coach only until the summer, he hasn't done bad in the last few months and has got them to their cup final on Thursday.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2021, 11:40:41 PM »
It’s Allardyce for me.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2021, 12:02:13 AM »
Sheffield United played some cracking football under Wilder, I remember when they beat us at home under big Dave they completely played us off the park. Every time I watched them it was high tempo attacking football and they ran for days, far more in the mould of Bielsa than Allardyce.  Remember he took a mid table league 1 team to 9th in the Premier League on absolute peanuts. I think they more than anyone really missed fans this year as they played with a intensity last season that wasn’t there this year, they had some long term injuries to key players early on in the season & boardroom upheaval. Granted his record this season was awful & the last transfer window was dire however he did also sign players like Enda Stevens & Jack O’Connel combined cost 350k.

Given the fact we need to get promoted within 2 seasons of been down I’d take the guy who last got promoted in 2019 & has been promoted 3 times since Allardyce last got a team up. As a manager I’d have him in a heartbeat however I would have massive reservations over him & Dowling leading transfers.
Whenever I've seen Sheff Utd this season, they've looked clueless, particularly in the creative part of the pitch. Which would explain how they only managed to find the net 18 times. He was still expecting Olly Burke to deliver.  Chris Wilder is too much old school and not enough innovation, compared to a manager like Graham Potter.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2021, 12:05:18 AM »
He's become a bit of a jorneyman in the Bundesliga. He comes across very positive, but he didn't match Hertha Berlin's ambition in his last job. Before that he got Wolfsburg into the Europa League. 
One interesting name is Edin Terzic, the 'interim' Borussia Dortmund manager. He is still young, but was assistant to Billic at West Ham, so speaks decent English. In fact , he must be quite a support for Sancho and Bellingham at Dortmund. Although he is interim Head Coach only until the summer, he hasn't done bad in the last few months and has got them to their cup final on Thursday.

I would have thought that Terzic's stock would be pretty high in Germany given the uptick in Dortmund's form. I think I heard or read somewhere that given the International nature of Dortmund's squad Farve was coaching in English because that was the one common language all the players shared.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2021, 12:21:09 AM »
What a depressing list of names.

Sam all day for me

Same for me on both counts.

I just despair at the merry-go-round of failure we've been on. Swapping useless managers with Fulham, Palace, Stoke and the like. It's frankly shameful.

Is it too much to hope for that the Footballing director is keeping an eye on promising coaches in Europe who have good English and who may well be a big hit?

Given the options i'm certain Sam is the best choice for now. Once he had them on the training pitch we improved to be an ok lower-mid-table team.

When he came in i feared Pulis style hoofball and we've not done that. Short of a miracle, if he's willing to stay, then keep him.

Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input