1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441728 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)
« on: May 11, 2021, 09:11:59 PM »
Following our relegation from the Premier League and the clause within Sam Allardyce’ contract, we have agreed to create the following thread for all future managerial discussion as we plan our next steps.

This should prevent the other threads on the forum from being taken over by the managerial speculation.

A poll has been added for members to vote on their preferred candidate. The names within the poll have been taken from the previous bookmakers odds for the hot seat. Some current out of work managers who were linked previously have been added. Willing to add more if I’ve missed someone obvious.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 04:41:49 PM by Political Cake »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 09:34:59 PM »
Wheres Pulis?  :P

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 09:37:41 PM »
Marco Silva
Enzo Maresca
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 09:37:53 PM »
Wheres Pulis?  :P

Permanent ban for anyone suggesting him  :D

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 09:41:19 PM »
I picked McInnes but I was meant to pick Allardyce!  ???

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 09:41:33 PM »
Frank Lampard, need to include him. Great job at Derby, prematurely sacked at Chelsea. Would play to the strengths of Pereira and Grady and bring though the younger players like Tulloch. Also good contacts at the bridge to raid their massive squad.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 09:44:21 PM »
Alright, whos picked Mark Hughes?!?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 09:45:42 PM »
Alright, whos picked Mark Hughes?!?

:D a truly terrible choice.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 09:56:19 PM »
Before anyone chooses Chris Wilder, bear in mind Sheff Utd scored just 18 goals this season. An appalling record and only just half of what we scored. If we chose him, the football would be a poorer version of Allardyce's. Very much one of British football's dinosaur managers. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 09:56:42 PM »
Frank Lampard, need to include him. Great job at Derby, prematurely sacked at Chelsea. Would play to the strengths of Pereira and Grady and bring though the younger players like Tulloch. Also good contacts at the bridge to raid their massive squad.

I’ve added him - I just thought it was unlikely. I could see him holding out for a job at a club like Palace rather than joining our managerial graveyard.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 09:58:37 PM »
Before anyone chooses Chris Wilder, bear in mind Sheff Utd scored just 18 goals this season. An appalling record and only just half of what we scored. If we chose him, the football would be a poorer version of Allardyce's. Very much one of British football's dinosaur managers.
Not for me , grim thought.
Wasn't shy getting digs in at Sheff Utds owners despite spending loads .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 10:02:49 PM »
Enzo Maresca -  would be a exciting appointment.
BOING BOING

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 10:05:40 PM »
Enzo Maresca -  would be a exciting appointment.

Seen a few people mention him, he’s never been a manager has he? Been at city’s academy for 8 or so months.

Comes across as another one of those who wouldn’t be in the frame or mentioned at all if he didn’t play for us years ago.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 10:06:37 PM »
Not that it really makes any difference, but doubt if the Allardyce alliance on here would ever accept another option. Talk about dogs abuse!

I want Allardyce to stay but if not I’ll be 100% behind the new chap, no reason for me not to be.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 10:08:38 PM »
Seen a few people mention him, he’s never been a manager has he? Been at city’s academy for 8 or so months.

Comes across as another one of those who wouldn’t be in the frame or mentioned at all if he didn’t play for us years ago.

I'm only interested in Maresca if he can bring a few loanees with him from City's ridiculously stacked squad. Voted for Allardyce as there's no better option available.
Allllllll aboard

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 10:09:25 PM »

Correct and they were just as abject in front of goal last season. Not fit for purpose - the decision to swap Robinson for Burke alone should be a disqualifier.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2021, 10:09:37 PM »
Can we add Mr Nigel Pearson please

Hasn’t he just signed a new 3 year deal with Bristol City?

festerp

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2021, 10:10:06 PM »
I'd like to see Michael Appleton, if not him then Danny Cowley.  Both have done good at Lincoln.
“In my mind, you gotta have three things to be a Premier League team. 1) You gotta play physical. 2) you gotta give 100 percent until the final whistle and 3) you gotta be sponsored by a Middle-Eastern airline.”

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2021, 10:11:20 PM »
Seen a few people mention him, he’s never been a manager has he? Been at city’s academy for 8 or so months. Comes across as another one of those who wouldn’t be in the frame or mentioned at all if he didn’t play for us years ago.

Yes, he would be a ridiculous choice as he would be so far out of his depth. You don't go from putting the cones out for children to commanding a premiership promotion push. Even worse I'm not sure he ever learnt English, and communication is everything.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2021, 10:11:58 PM »
I think we'll stay with Allardyce but I know who I want.

Lucian Favre, as stated in another thread he's probably too ahead of us and we should've got him 5/6 years ago when he went to Nice, but if Bielsa can go to Leeds, we could try and land him. Largely a success wherever he goes and with a strong philosophy of attacking and passing football (meaning we could salvage Bilic's framework and players) while not ignoring the defensive side of the game, also has a known success rate with youth players and most importantly... is available right now.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2021, 10:13:16 PM »
I'd like to see Michael Appleton, if not him then Danny Cowley.  Both have done good at Lincoln.

Danny Cowley who likes his teams to resemble Rugby League outfits and was worse than useless at Huddersfield? No to Appleton as well. It's a completely different job managing a club in the top end of Championship to Lincoln, the level of football coaching, tactics is completely different, night and day, almost two different sports.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2021, 10:13:35 PM »
Wasn't aware of that have deleted the request.

1 step closer to me getting on team Allardyce
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2021, 10:14:01 PM »

Regardless Nigel Person whilst one of the better shouts is an absolute nutter and a bit too unstable.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2021, 10:18:39 PM »
I think we'll stay with Allardyce but I know who I want.

Lucian Favre, as stated in another thread he's probably too ahead of us and we should've got him 5/6 years ago when he went to Nice, but if Bielsa can go to Leeds, we could try and land him. Largely a success wherever he goes and with a strong philosophy of attacking and passing football (meaning we could salvage Bilic's framework and players) while not ignoring the defensive side of the game, also has a known success rate with youth players and most importantly... is available right now.

Lucian Favre flopped at Dortmund, with all their might, which gives me grave concerns he could do anything at the Albion. That said, his prior CV is very impressive. Can't see why he would be interested in managing us in the championship with a meagre budget and owners trying to flee the club. Definitely one of the more interesting and forward thinking names in this thread.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2021, 10:20:40 PM »
Regardless Nigel Person whilst one of the better shouts is an absolute nutter and a bit too unstable.
Nah! he is just a character  ;D  I like his abrasiveness mixed with unusual communicative skills
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!