1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 184569 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #3450 on: June 19, 2021, 11:55:00 AM »
I don't know who lists these things on the internet but Townsend is taller than 5ft 6. I'd estimate 5 ft 9 or 5 ft 10.

Official site states 168cm which in feet according to google is 5.51181.

I'm 5ft 7 and i've stood next to him, he was taller than me so somethings wrong somewhere  :D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3451 on: June 19, 2021, 11:56:03 AM »

I'm 5ft 7 and i've stood next to him, he was taller than me so somethings wrong somewhere  :D

Every site lists him at 168cm apart from one randomly which says he is 180cm so that would be about 5'11"

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3452 on: June 19, 2021, 12:02:56 PM »
Football Insider now reporting that we are also in touch with Marco Silva just in case the Ismael deal, falls through.
Must have told Marco "you are second in line mate, we couldn't speak to you before because , your old mate Dowling wouldn't let us"  ;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 12:04:28 PM by iwastherein68 »
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3453 on: June 19, 2021, 12:03:37 PM »

Probably pavement camber  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3454 on: June 19, 2021, 12:27:22 PM »
According to Football Insider, we have lined up Marco Silva in the event talks with Ismael collapse!

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-west-brom-make-contact-with-ex-everton-boss-after-ismael-talks-latest/
I've no idea if this story is true or not, but it would certainly make sense for us to have someone ready to move swiftly on if things don't work out with Barnsley/Ismael.

Silva's a curious one because he was excellent prior to coming to the UK, but has struggled since coming over here. All things considered though, I wouldn't mind him as the fallback for Ismael. Silva is still only 43 and has plenty to prove in the UK. I wonder what he's been doing since Dec 2019?

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3455 on: June 19, 2021, 12:28:36 PM »
Every site lists him at 168cm apart from one randomly which says he is 180cm so that would be about 5'11"
Is there a topic for Townsend himself on which his height can be discussed ad nauseam?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3456 on: June 19, 2021, 12:30:28 PM »
Is there a topic for Townsend himself on which his height can be discussed ad nauseam?

Its fine in here for now as it will drift down the page in time and given the lack of anything actually going on other than rumours mainly from clickbait sites the whole topic has shifted at times.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

NJS

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3457 on: June 19, 2021, 12:40:41 PM »
So if Ismael come in, what players may follow him in?
Decent chance of Mowatt following his former boss.
Could also see if Daryl Dike fancies a full season on loan under Ismael.

Wouldn't mind the right wing back from Worcs's clip.

Can't think of many in our present squad who could manage the running of LASK no matter how much training.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3458 on: June 19, 2021, 01:26:20 PM »
Wouldn't mind the right wing back from Worcs's clip.
Do you mean LASK's No. 26? If so, I've just had a look and his name is Reinhold Ranftl. I don't suppose we could get him over here due to the new restrictions but, regardless of that, he's signed for Schalke this summer.

Whilst partially watching the video again, I noticed a stat on 73 minutes which stated that LASK had already had 29 shots to PSV's 4 at that point, so perhaps the first half wasn't the non-event that I described it as (the highlights were produced by PSV). It must have been a pretty good day for the "pub team"!

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3459 on: June 19, 2021, 01:55:32 PM »
Alright, now that Ismael is looking more likely I had a little dig around LASK forums to see what they think of his time with them. Before I get to that I'd just like to say that I remember them playing intense, direct football, but certainly not hoofing it. In fact their fans reckon he actually increased possession from their previous manager Glasner. Under him they were already playing 3-4-3 with an intensive press, so Ismael just seemed to tweak things a bit and mostly keep with what the squad was used to.

The other thing I remember is that LASK under Ismael came the closest to beating Red Bull to the title than anyone in recent years. They fell apart completely after the Covid break, when they trained illegally and got docked points. I don't know who took the decision on those training sessions, whether it was him or those higher up.

There are also some reports of him falling out with the hierarchy and other staff but with all sorts other recent scandals coming out of the club (like involvement in third party ownership and all sorts of frictions and accusations within the board itself, I'd judge the club itself to be quite rotten.

In general their fans seem to prefer him to the guy who replaced him and they certainly have not improved since then. Just how much of his success is down to what Glasner built I don't know.

Here are a couple of quotes in English from a LASK forum when Barnsley fan asked them about him:

and...

I'm certainly happier with us taking a punt on Ismael than somebody like Wilder or the dreadful list of names that has been doing the rounds  ;D Let's hope he's learnt some lessons from the past and I'm sure he will not try to replicate his Barnsley tactics one to one.
Vienna
As someone who is familar with the Austrian football scene, I presume you are not saying he was a better manager than Oliver Glasner? If you are, that's a big statement, because as you know, Glasner has just got Wolfsburg to third in the German Bundesliga and into the Champions League. (In fact he was one of those I had down, somewhat optimistically, for the WBA job).
Also, in contrast, when Ismael was in charge at Wolfsburg 2016-17,  they struggled,  and he only lasted 4 months, although Wolfsburg seem to get through managers faster than most. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 02:46:50 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3460 on: June 19, 2021, 03:16:11 PM »
For what it's worth Nixon saying compo agreed, doesnt think agreeing terms with Ismael will be a problem.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3461 on: June 19, 2021, 03:22:48 PM »
For what it's worth Nixon saying compo agreed, doesnt think agreeing terms with Ismael will be a problem.

Not worth a damn thing but in truth all the heavy lifting on the deal is done before compensation is ever agreed or his current club even formally approached.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3462 on: June 19, 2021, 03:25:32 PM »
Not worth a damn thing but in truth all the heavy lifting on the deal is done before compensation is ever agreed or his current club even formally approached.

Very true. He must also have indicated a willingness to come at some point i'd imagine.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3463 on: June 19, 2021, 03:49:04 PM »
Could you provide a link please? I'm just looking at his Twitter feed and his most recent tweets about it (at the time of writing) are saying that compensation hasn't yet been agreed.

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3464 on: June 19, 2021, 03:51:06 PM »
Could you provide a link please? I'm just looking at his Twitter feed and his most recent tweets about it (at the time of writing) are saying that compensation hasn't yet been agreed.

Looks like he's deleted or edited it. I can no longer see it either. I can now see NOT agreed.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3465 on: June 19, 2021, 04:18:06 PM »
I wonder if the board realise just how much money they will need to spend if VI is given the job? Firstly three central midfielders, two new forwards, centrebacks, full backs and the list goes on. If he gets the job and we dont spend the required money it could be a very very short stay as our manager.
Gera, Gera, Gera

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3466 on: June 19, 2021, 04:28:49 PM »
I wonder if the board realise just how much money they will need to spend if VI is given the job? Firstly three central midfielders, two new forwards, centrebacks, full backs and the list goes on. If he gets the job and we dont spend the required money it could be a very very short stay as our manager.
There are quite a few players that ought to be replaced regardless of who the new manager is (I'm sure many of us would name the same players), so perhaps squad churn shouldn't be looked at as being such a big factor with regard to Ismael particularly?

Time is of the essence though if the required squad shake-up is to be achieved without there being too much disruption in the first weeks of the new season.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3467 on: June 19, 2021, 04:41:32 PM »
There are quite a few players that ought to be replaced regardless of who the new manager is (I'm sure many of us would name the same players), so perhaps squad churn shouldn't be looked at as being such a big factor with regard to Ismael particularly?

Time is of the essence though if the required squad shake-up is to be achieved without there being too much disruption in the first weeks of the new season.

I completely agree but if you are looking purely at players who can high press for 90 minutes week in week out your market is slimmed down a lot. The other problem with the complications of this possible appointment is the length of time it will take. If we are to have a massive turnover of players that process wont start until the next manager is appointed putting us behind the eight ball before we even start.
Gera, Gera, Gera

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3468 on: June 19, 2021, 04:52:06 PM »
As long as we get Okay or someone of similar ilk I'd be happy, dreading the thought of Livermore and Sawyers being our central midfield combo even in chump. If it is Ishmael how many players at club will be suitable to his high press, high tempo football?

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3469 on: June 19, 2021, 05:07:57 PM »
Well it wouldn’t suit Okay either , mobilit is the thing that lets him down
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3470 on: June 19, 2021, 05:12:39 PM »
Looks like he's deleted or edited it. I can no longer see it either. I can now see NOT agreed.
But at the same time he’s saying Barnsley have started looking for replacement. Seems Barnsley’s CEO is leaving for Forest as well !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3471 on: June 19, 2021, 05:28:37 PM »
But at the same time he’s saying Barnsley have started looking for replacement. Seems Barnsley’s CEO is leaving for Forest as well !

Yes saw that. Looks like all change at Barnsley!

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3472 on: June 19, 2021, 05:29:35 PM »
Completely agree with our needs for the squad. However I see one or two of our more respected/talented players leaving to finance any moves with incoming transfers. That will leave big holes to fill. I'd be looking at available money before coming to the Albion. Makes me think Big Sam worked wonders in the January transfer window.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3473 on: June 19, 2021, 07:52:17 PM »
If we are prepared to pay Barnsley £2m compensation for their manager then why don’t we use that money as bait to persuade Big Sam to change his mind and return? I have more confidence in Sam persuading the owners to release sufficient funds to rebuild a title chasing team than the relatively inexperienced Ismael would.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3474 on: June 19, 2021, 07:56:44 PM »
Can't see Sawyers or Liver more in a high press system. Sawyers is so laid back he's almost horizontal. We need 2 young and hungry central midfielders in a high press system.