Author Topic: Transfer Window Watch (Non Albion)  (Read 149210 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Transfer Window Watch (Non Albion)
« Reply #400 on: October 11, 2020, 09:53:50 AM »
West Ham are on the verge of agreeing a deal to sign Brentford winger Said Benrahma.

The clubs are in advanced talks over a deal that could potentially be worth in the region of £30m.

From the WH websites a few weeks ago, it was said that GD needed to be sold to generate the funds for this player. However, I also heard Sullivan on the radio the other day saying that they do not need any more wingers as he has more than enough, which is why they sanctioned the GD sale.

Personally I thought that they were desperate for centre backs myself, and they failed to land Tarkowski. What a strange club they are......
MAGA!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #401 on: October 11, 2020, 10:23:35 AM »
Liverpool are in talks with Stoke City to sign Jack Butland. The goalkeeper could go straight in the team to face Everton. (Source: Daily Mirror)
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #402 on: October 11, 2020, 11:31:39 AM »
Thought I'd do a wash up of the window I'll do a European one this week and final wrap on the English one once the mini window closes next week given there may yet be some significant deals

Looking at the big 4 leagues in the round turnover is down dramatically across the board and an equally profound drop in the net spend figures in most cases. Figures in brackets represent a negative balance on transactions.

La Liga        2020 Turnover £810m, net spend £79m      2019 Turnover £2.13bn net spend (£282m)
Bundesliga  2020 Turnover £581m, net spend £0.18m    2019 Turnover £1,19bn net spend (£155m)
Serie A       2020 Turnover £1.3bn, net spend (£53m)     2019 Turnover £1.8bn, net spend  (£302m)
Ligue 1      2020 Turnover £742m,  net spend (£57m)     2019 Turnover £1.4bn,  (£118m)

A couple of observations the impact of the loan to buy deals is huge particularly in Serie A. Much of this year's expenditure has been prearranged as part of last year's window roughly half of the top 25 transfers in Italy were loan to buy deals going permanent.

PSG's activity has a disproportionate impact on the French market. Their net spend of £50m which was mainly due to them making Icardi permanent is way bigger than any other French club.

Outside the Big 5 leagues there was very little happening that generates fees. Those that don't have the benefit of European football and or the benefit of a big inbound transfer fee are just signing loanees and frees. The one big exception was Benefica who were spending like drunken sailors on shore leave. Then managed to get themselves knocked out of the CL flogged Dias to City in a deal that somehow valued Otamendi at £13m but that left them at break even for the window.

Overall the Premier League has been European football's ATM Chelsea alone have pumped in £173m of funds across 4 transfers.

Havertz £72m from Leverkuesn who spent £28m and banked the rest.

Werner £43m from RB Leipzig who spent £30m and banked the rest

Ziyech £36m  from Ajax who spent the fee on buying 5 players although they did have the benefit of the Van De Beek fee (£35m) from Man United  whichwas  unspent and no doubt helping fund the club through these difficult times

Mendy £21m from Stade Rennais who were the only club to spend more than they were paid by Premier League clubs.

Green Eyed Envy Corner is officially closed for the window players I liked for the Albion who went elsewhere

I flagged up a bunch of likely prospects at the beginning of the window of which the following moved

Ibrahim Sangaré Tolouse to PSV £7m
Nicola Moro Zagreb to CSKA Moscow £8m
Serhou Guirassy Amiens to Stade Rennais £13m
Alfred Gomis Dijon to Stade Rennais £8m
Habib Diallo Metz to Strasbourg £9m

It looks like I'm moonlighting for Stade Rennais recruitment department.

We were actually linked with Diallo and I was surprised I genuinely thought he would go to a club with at least Europa League football for him to end up Strasbourg as their record signing is shocking. Especially when you consider Strasbourg are already well covered at Centre Forward and they have lost 4 of their opening league fixtures and are arguably Metz's biggest rivals.

It will be interesting to see how those deals pan out.

Finally the strangest tale of the transfer window is that of Jean-Kévin Augustin who moved from RB Leipzig to Nantes on a free. This may yet prove to the transfer coup for Nantes or another bizarre misstep in the career of the young Frenchman.

Augustin started out at PSG where he was seen as a hot prospect but given the talent at the club was unlikely to break through. As a 20 year old based on nothing much more than potential Leipzig signed for £14m. He didn't really breakthrough at Leipzig and two years latter he was loaned out to Monaco at the start of 19/20.

Nothing particularly good happened to him at Monaco he is now 22 and his potential still seems to be largely unrealised. In January he returns to Leipzig and is loaned to Leeds but this time with a £20m obligation to buy if Leeds are promoted (Champagne corks popping in RB Leipzig's recruitment department obviously leftover from the stock they got in when they unloaded Olly Burke to us).

Barely two months into his loan spell he is a reject from the planet Beilsa and back at Leipzig. Leeds get promoted but refuse to pay the fee. The two clubs are now going to court to resolve the matter and poor old Jean-Kevin has been shunted to Nantes like an ugly duckling. Go show them Jean-Kevin you will be a swan*

* There is no rational evidence for this assertion.   

« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 10:19:53 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #403 on: October 16, 2020, 06:36:26 PM »
Phillips to Cardiff is a shame. Superb keeper in the making.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #404 on: October 16, 2020, 07:36:40 PM »
£5 million upfront for Benrahma. Can't imagine the Bees are particularly happy with that.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #405 on: October 16, 2020, 07:38:19 PM »
20m to follow at end of season and another 5m in potential bonuses.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #406 on: October 16, 2020, 10:41:48 PM »
Butland to CPFC completed also Kongolo signed for Fuham.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #407 on: October 17, 2020, 12:02:20 AM »
With the English window closing this is the final reckoning

Premier League 2020 Turnover £1.73bn Net Spend (£905m) 2019 £2.6bn Net Spend (£625m)
Championship 2020 Turnover £ 354m Net Spend £145m 2019 £486m Net Spend £136m

The Premier League is football's ATM in 2020. Turnover reduced but net spend up by 50%.

Looking at the individual deals it seems young elite level players have held their value but older less high profile players that typically teams are trying to unload the value has collapsed to the point that they have been virtually given away or have been retained. There are a lot of big squads with plenty of players who don't look likely to feature frequently. 

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #408 on: October 17, 2020, 09:12:29 AM »
With the English window closing this is the final reckoning

Premier League 2020 Turnover £1.73bn Net Spend (£905m) 2019 £2.6bn Net Spend (£625m)
Championship 2020 Turnover £ 354m Net Spend £145m 2019 £486m Net Spend £136m

The Premier League is football's ATM in 2020. Turnover reduced but net spend up by 50%.

Looking at the individual deals it seems young elite level players have held their value but older less high profile players that typically teams are trying to unload the value has collapsed to the point that they have been virtually given away or have been retained. There are a lot of big squads with plenty of players who don't look likely to feature frequently.

Further evidence as to why the Government should not bail out this industry.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #409 on: October 17, 2020, 09:42:21 AM »

As the window unfolded that was very clear. A 5% levy on the transfer fee net spend funds League 1 and 2 for the season so there is no way anyone else should be wetting up the tab.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #410 on: October 17, 2020, 10:14:14 AM »
Joe Roden moving to Spurs for relative peanuts surprised me the most. Swansea must be in a sticky financial situation, I found it weird how they sold so many players after their relegation 2 years ago, last summer they got £15m for Dan James and yet they have still ended up accepting a bit of a low ball offer from Spurs.
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #411 on: October 17, 2020, 12:40:51 PM »

Those 2 divisions definitely shouldn't be bailed out. Interested in the numbers for Leagues 1 and 2.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #412 on: October 23, 2020, 10:06:48 AM »
The ones that didn't get away players still on Premier League clubs books but not in their Premier League squads some high profile players and possibly more in annual wages than the PL offered the EFL by way of assistance.

Danny Drinkwater (Chelsea)
Phil Jones (Man U)
Sergio Romero (Man U)
Danny Rose (Spurs)
Mesut Özil (Arsenal)
Sokratis (Arsenal)
Yannick Bolasie (Everton)
Matthew Pennington (Everton)
Josh Onomah (Fulham)
Jean Michaël Seri (Fulham)
Kevin McDonald (Fulham)
Stefan Johansen (Fulham)
Rolando Aarons (Newcastle)
Achraf Lazaar (Newcastle)
Conor Wickham (Crystal Palace)
Wayne Hennessey (Crystal Palace)
Conor Shaughnessy (Leeds United)
Ouasim Bouy (Leeds United)

Some of the careers here are nothing short of bizarre the last name Ouasim Bouy signed from Juventus on a free in 2017 was given a 4 year deal is going into the last year of it and as far has I can make out has never kicked a ball for Leeds.

This is shameful it is an utter waste and whether players are sitting on contracts or not it just speaks volumes as to the state of the game.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #413 on: October 23, 2020, 10:34:17 AM »
Fulham have 4 (very good) players not even in their squad. All four could be playing first team in the Championship or in La Liga/Bundesliga/Serie A. Why have they not loaned any out?

There are some real sad cases there. I read a quote yesterday about Phil Jones. He was offered a testimonial but turned it down as "nobody would want to turn up".

As for Ozil, he must be the biggest tragedy. There aren't many more exciting players to watch in European football over the last 10 years.

The reality for most is that the players won't accept pay cuts and other clubs can't afford their wages during this pandemic, but that can't be the case for all of them.

A real waste of talent.
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #414 on: October 23, 2020, 10:39:36 AM »
I don't think Ozil is a waste as such. He refuses to take a paycut and prefers to waste his time doing nothing. Absolutely his right to take 350k pw for nothing but if he really wanted to play he could easily make it happen.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #415 on: October 23, 2020, 10:43:51 AM »

possibly more in annual wages than the PL offered the EFL by way of assistance.

Could well be! Conservatively I get that group to £750,000 per week which is staggering.

Good work if you can get it!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #416 on: October 23, 2020, 11:11:15 AM »
I don't think Ozil is a waste as such. He refuses to take a paycut and prefers to waste his time doing nothing. Absolutely his right to take 350k pw for nothing but if he really wanted to play he could easily make it happen.
Ozil whilst a mercenary added to the problem by quite rightly questioning the chinese and their policies towards muslims, damaging for the Arsenal boards (Kroenke) and their many other sporting businesses TV rights.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #417 on: October 23, 2020, 12:22:41 PM »
Criminal that Romero hasn't got a place, yet our 'keeper' will play 38 games.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #418 on: October 23, 2020, 03:53:12 PM »
Criminal that Romero hasn't got a place, yet our 'keeper' will play 38 games.

Absolutely. Should have gone for him on loan.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #419 on: October 23, 2020, 04:27:41 PM »
Surprised at some of the names on that list
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #420 on: October 24, 2020, 10:27:57 AM »
It is a waste of talent and it highlights the inefficiency of the football market. Plainly neither party expected things to end up like this when they signed their contracts and in truth injury has played a part in some of the back stories here.

However I frequently have cause to question the rationality of football clubs and the lack of foresight  in many cases self evident. I would also question footballers who jump at the big contract which is understandable without really asking the question is this the right move for me as a player?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #421 on: October 29, 2020, 02:58:05 PM »
I had a look at Mr Ouasim Bouy, incredible since 2012 the man has played less than 100 games, whilst traversing the top leagues in Italy, Germany, Holland, Greece, England.  In fact last season was his most demanding with 18 appearances, before that he averaged 9 / season !

It beggars belief that this man gets rich for doing nothing, his agent must be FANTASTIC at his job.
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #422 on: October 29, 2020, 03:37:33 PM »
I had a look at Mr Ouasim Bouy, incredible since 2012 the man has played less than 100 games, whilst traversing the top leagues in Italy, Germany, Holland, Greece, England.  In fact last season was his most demanding with 18 appearances, before that he averaged 9 / season !

It beggars belief that this man gets rich for doing nothing, his agent must be FANTASTIC at his job.

I've posted a link to this bloke before but I give you the name Carlos "Kaiser" Henrique Raposo.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #423 on: October 29, 2020, 04:02:03 PM »
I've posted a link to this bloke before but I give you the name Carlos "Kaiser" Henrique Raposo.

I don't think its the same geezer Dan, this one has been on Leeds books for last 2 years, whereas Old Carlos was a few years back, Ouasim is Dutch and the Carlos the Jackal is brazilian
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #424 on: October 29, 2020, 04:09:38 PM »
I don't think its the same geezer Dan, this one has been on Leeds books for last 2 years, whereas Old Carlos was a few years back, Ouasim is Dutch and the Carlos the Jackal is brazilian

I know it's not the same geezer, the one I linked's in his fifties now. It's just that he made a living from the game without ever actually playing one. Money quite literally for nothing  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.