Author Topic: Alex Palmer  (Read 97464 times)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: Alex Palmer training with the First Team
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2021, 10:24:07 AM »
Started the season very well but his form dropped and there were a number of inconsistent displays thereafter apparently. No pun intended but it's going take a big leap for him to go from League One playoffs contender to consistent number one at a Championship club hoping to mount a promotion charge to the Premier League.

TBH I watched the second play off game and thought he was just ordinary for a League One keeper.
I wouldn't judge his career on that one performance, but like you say he has to step his game up.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2021, 11:06:06 PM »
Everyone in the game knows that Griffiths is better than Palmer. He (Griffiths) is very young for a keeper, that's why he's being held back. It's a matter of time before Albion give him his head. Will it be next season? Who knows.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2021, 09:37:30 AM »
Everyone in the game knows that Griffiths is better than Palmer. He (Griffiths) is very young for a keeper, that's why he's being held back. It's a matter of time before Albion give him his head. Will it be next season? Who knows.

Is that true? Genuinely not followed either of them but heard both had good seasons.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2021, 10:13:28 AM »
I think it is fair to say that Griffiths has developed quicker than Palmer. Griffiths at 19 was the best keeper in League 2 and while Palmer has hit that level and moved on to League one last season he is 5 years older than Griffiths. Other things being equal you would think that Griffiths is the better prospect. That said it would be a brave move to go with 20 year old as first choice keeper in the Championship but in truth at the current rate of development he will be ready in no more than two years time.

None of this means Palmer is bad it just means that Griffiths has a great deal of potential and is moving through the development levels very quickly.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2021, 10:36:25 AM »
Interesting to see what we do with Griffiths next season then. I imagine a step up to League 1

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2021, 11:37:43 AM »
Perhaps we will go with Palmer and Button next year and Griffiths may head back to Cheltenham? Year after that reassess depending where we are and he is.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2021, 12:10:16 PM »
A quick glance of the Cheltenham town forum does not suggest Griffiths is that highly thought of by CTFC fans.  It’s quite odd actually. If anything I’d have expected given his clean sheets and their promotion that they may have been overstating how good he is but they almost seem indifferent about him.

I’d be interested to hear more from people who have seen more of him but I don’t think he should be in front of Palmer. Who also may not be the answer we all want.

I do have concerns when SJ leaves the grass mat not be greener.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2021, 01:09:55 PM »
A quick glance of the Cheltenham town forum does not suggest Griffiths is that highly thought of by CTFC fans.  It’s quite odd actually. If anything I’d have expected given his clean sheets and their promotion that they may have been overstating how good he is but they almost seem indifferent about him.

I’d be interested to hear more from people who have seen more of him but I don’t think he should be in front of Palmer. Who also may not be the answer we all want.

I do have concerns when SJ leaves the grass mat not be greener.

I think that is mainly due to the fact that Griffiths is only 19 and has made a few mistakes for them at times. Also, I don't think that Griffiths is the better of the two right now. The difference is that Griffiths is the best in the country at his age and if he continues his current rate of development will be England's number 1, whereas Palmer is the same age as Dean Henderson and yet to play at Championship level.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2021, 01:16:34 PM »
Given our clamour to berate Sam and sell him at the first opportunity, I just hope that these two are the ready made replacements many of you think they are or else we could be back in the market rather quickly.
MAGA!

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2021, 01:26:28 PM »
Given our clamour to berate Sam and sell him at the first opportunity, I just hope that these two are the ready made replacements many of you think they are or else we could be back in the market rather quickly.

For the record I'd loan them both out again next season. Palmer to lower Championship and Griffiths to League 1. If we sell Johnstone for decent money there's better keepers available on free transfers who I'd look at for next season.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2021, 03:50:13 AM »
>:( 19 is not too young for a keeper to play in the first team.In my day the 1960s. Shilton played for Leicester when 17.Gary Sprake for Leeds at 16. Think Mervyn day was about 18 when debuted for West Ham.
Anyone else know of Keepers making their debut in their teens??

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2021, 06:05:08 AM »
I think Chris Woods was 18 or 19 when he stood in for Peter Shilton for the 77/78 League Cup Final.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2021, 10:08:14 AM »
Palmer and Griffiths should be our options next season stuff loaning them out give our academy players the chance.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2021, 02:52:56 PM »
Pretty sure Lincoln conceded more than any other side in the top 6 of League 1 and Palmer definitely has a mistake in him. I know that goals conceded isn't down to just the keeper but by the same token neither is clean sheets.
Let's not forget Johnstone had kept 22 clean sheets in the Championship the season before we bought him.

Should we sell Johnstone then I think we need a better option as first choice next season than either Palmer or Button.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 04:05:59 PM by Hull Baggie »

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2021, 05:06:34 PM »
Palmer and Griffiths should be our options next season stuff loaning them out give our academy players the chance.

The jury is out on whether Palmer is good enough to step up. I'd like to see him given a chance, but he might not be ready. He might never be ready.

Griffiths might be highly rated and with a higher ceiling, but if he's not ready then he's not ready. Playing a good player before it's his time might break them mentally.

We will probably need a new number 1 next season.

Davros1582

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2021, 05:13:25 PM »
We never play anybody until its too late. Palmer and button should enough for us whilst Griffiths matures one more year in league 1

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2021, 07:49:17 PM »
Have watched him several times this season, including the play-off final today, and I have not been overly impressed. I assume it will be between him and Button when the new season starts, unless Dowling and the new manager think we need to recruit. Personally I would give Button the nod. 
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2021, 09:10:41 AM »
>:( 19 is not too young for a keeper to play in the first team.In my day the 1960s. Shilton played for Leicester when 17.Gary Sprake for Leeds at 16. Think Mervyn day was about 18 when debuted for West Ham.
Anyone else know of Keepers making their debut in their teens??

Gianluigi Donnarumma a few years ago for AC Milan at 16

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2021, 09:24:56 AM »
We never play anybody until its too late. Palmer and button should enough for us whilst Griffiths matures one more year in league 1

Whilst I hear your point, the club are wanting to get back at the first time of asking. If we put someone in between the sticks who’s not ready, plenty and I mean plenty of people will slam the club for not having a proper number 1 lined up after Johnston goes. If we were a mid table champ club then I’d agree with you

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2021, 10:09:56 AM »
Palmer has had 100 first team appearances and will be 25 in August. If he is not ready now he will never be. If we sell Johnstone as looks likely then the Goal Keeping duties fall on Palmer's and Button's shoulders. If we bring a more experienced keeper in you move Palmer on maybe as a makeweight in a deal for a player from a league one club or one of poorer Championship clubs. 

Those are the choices. There isn't a third choice of loaning him somewhere until he becomes ready because there is simply nowhere for him to go which is going to make him a whole lot better than he is today you just get him back a year older with a shorter contract and the same question is he ready?

We really do need to find some courage with using young players.     
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 10:12:27 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2021, 10:48:12 AM »
I think we need to give the lad a chance now. Make money on Johnston - invest the money in areas we're weak in and use our academy. As Standaman says, the players evolution is now Championship or sell. Plymouth fans loved him, some good feedback from Lincoln fans. What we need to do is address what’s in front of him. When Johnstone has struggled or made errors sometimes it has been because of the absolute clangers in front of him making errors every single game.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2021, 10:51:51 AM »
If he's 25 we have to give him a chance this season. If he's no good then move him on but it's no good treating him with kid gloves. He's got lots of first team experience now. Sink or swim time.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2021, 01:10:58 PM »
Have the three of them Button, Palmer and Griffiths competing in pre season games. Whoever is shaping up best go with them even if it's Griffiths. Can always take them back out of the firing line for a while if it doesn't work out.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2021, 01:35:54 PM »
If your good enough, you're old enough! Tony Godden was 22 in 1977 when he joined. We'll never know if he's good enough if he don't get a chance! Only one way to find out!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2021, 04:02:01 PM »
If we start him then find out he’s not up to it we are stuck with him until at least Jan transfer window, can we afford that ?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas