Author Topic: Official Rugby League thread  (Read 6861 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Official Rugby League thread
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2020, 04:52:51 PM »
Rugby league still on sky sports?

Barely see it advertised nowadays

Yeah, 1 game in a Thursday and 1 on a Friday. Unsure if they are still having Catalan games in a Saturday. They will also have some challenge cup games.

There is rugby league on the red button every round of the challenge cup. It was Rochdale Mayfield v North Wales today.
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2020, 04:43:28 PM »
Saints have blitzed Hull 2nd half, still missing 5 or 6 starters.

Looks very ominous for the rest of super league. Currently 12-26 into the last 10 mins.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2020, 10:53:06 PM »
Folau and Tomkins looked good for Catalans vs Castleford. As much as his views are abhorrent, i'd be lying if I wasn't going to try to catch the first televised Catalans game.

Thought Wigan were poor again in their win vs Toronto. Salford Huddersfield was dull as ditch water Friday night.
Boing Boing

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2020, 01:16:32 PM »
Bit of a shame that only the games on sky are available to watch over a weekend, seems that there is no way of even getting a dodgy stream for them.

Suppose for the sport itself it is a good thing though as it could affect attendances and I am guessing Rugby League teams rely a lot on gate revenue where as obviously the premier league does not

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2020, 11:02:57 PM »
You can download a love rugby league app and watch some games, plus I think Premier sports or some other subscription channel like Freeport’s also carry games from Australia and possibly the championship.

This Sunday Bradford Bulls are on the BBC red button and live online vs some non league side I’ve never heard of.

Saturday night is the big one though - Saints most likely getting thumped by Sydney Roosters.

Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2020, 11:17:42 PM »
You can download a love rugby league app and watch some games, plus I think Premier sports or some other subscription channel like Freeport’s also carry games from Australia and possibly the championship.

This Sunday Bradford Bulls are on the BBC red button and live online vs some non league side I’ve never heard of.

Saturday night is the big one though - Saints most likely getting thumped by Sydney Roosters.

Saints at full strength would struggle in the WCC, with this half and half reserve side they could get annihilated. NRL is miles ahead of SL.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2020, 11:00:51 PM »
I was at Halliwell Jones when Warrington gave St George a good contest a few years ago, albeit that was the World club challenge series.

For St Helens sakes and Super leagues in general, I just hope it isn’t anything like what the Rabbitohs did to them the last time they contested the World Club Challenge final. After the embarrassment of this winter’s internationals, we could do with a bit of restored pride.
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2020, 09:42:41 PM »
Good effort from Saints up against a very good side, their own inexperience and a very poor official. This will have been our hardest game of the season.

A full strength Saints side would have won that game tonight, which is a massive improvement on previous years.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2020, 10:38:51 PM »
Having a 15 minute assault in the Roosters try line and getting nothing from it is frustrating but a big improvement in years gone by.

It does show how good Aussie defences are though and how that's the difference. I watched the NRL all star game earlier in the morning and you can see their levels there, more imaginative around the try line.

Good derby game Friday too, until Castleford ran away with it in the end.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2021, 03:51:46 PM »
Super League returns Friday night for those who are interested.

It's a (home) World Cup year this year so lots of opportunites for players to break into the side after 2 years without international rugby league.

It feels like the end of an era after last season. Many familiar names who I've associated with Rugby League since I seriously started watching it will no longer be featuring this season. The likes of Sean o'Loughlin, James Graham, Albert Kelly, Danny Brough, Remi Casty, Tony Gigot, Dominique Peyroux and to a lesser extent Gareth Ellis are all either retired or dropped down to the championship/back to Australia.

After the demise of Toronto last season thanks to CoVID, Super League really needs a shot in the arm. Leigh Centurions have been voted into the league and despite some of the concerns, pundits now think they have a reasonable chance of finishing ahead of Wakefield or Hull KR.

From the reviews I've been able to find on websites like loverugbyleague, lots of sides will be giving plenty of chances to young players this year, such as Wigan legend Ellery Hanley's son Umyla.

Of the players coming into the league,  John Bateman looks the best signing, returning to Wigan.. The England loose forward has had 2 years in the NRL in Australia and he did a decent job there from all accounts.

There is also lots of publicity for "G.I" Greg Inglis, the Australia legend who has come out of retirement to play for Warrington. He was incredible in his day but hasn't played for 2 years and was from all accounts past his best then. Still fun to see the celebration.

Kyle Eastmond finally "returning home" is probably my favourite signing. Rugby Union fans will probably remember him from his time playing for England around the start of the last decade but he never quite fulfilled his potential in the other code. At 31 he might be too old to make it back into the international set up now after so long out but it would be great if he did show his quality.

One of my personal favourites Ryan Hall returns to end his career in Super League after 2 poor years in NRL while there are a number of exciting Australian signings who always come into the league and give you something new (the pundits keep talking about Josh Reynolds signing for Hull).

Let's hope for more games like last years dramatic Grand Final, or the brilliant end to the Penrith-Melbourne NRL game this morning.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 08:21:40 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2021, 10:39:23 PM »
Egg chasing - meh !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2021, 09:07:38 AM »
That grand final was incredible. It will be an iconic sporting moment

Don’t get chance to watch it as much as I’d like to unfortunately
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2021, 08:21:46 PM »
Extremely comfortable Saints win to kick off the new season. They're the team to beat again.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2021, 07:21:09 PM »
Brilliant start so far. Leigh pushing Wigan to the wire, Wakefield not rolling over vs Leeds and now Catalans beating Hull KR by a golden point.

One slight downer - Ryan Hall couldn't get a try in 2 years in the NRL - then scores a hat trick in his first game back.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2021, 09:30:56 AM »
https://twitter.com/England_RL/status/1405797438250749956

England RL name their squad for next friday’s mid season international. Should give a good indication about the World Cup squad later this year.

Good to see Mikolaj Oledzki in the squad, I think he is only the 2nd Anglo Polish player to represent a major English sports side since Jagielka?
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2021, 10:49:18 PM »
For those who want a break from the football but don’t have Sky, the challenge cup final is on BBC 1 tomorrow - 3pm kick off. St Helen’s are heavy favourites vs Castleford Tigers, with 40,000 in Wembley.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2021, 09:43:43 AM »
Australia and New Zealand have pulled out of this years Rugby League world cup.

In other news, the Australian and New Zealand rugby union teams still plan to come here to play some friendlies this autumn.

I'm sure the rugby leaguebsides based this entirely on VIVID and not because they find international games hassle.
Boing Boing