Author Topic: Matheus Pereira  (Read 492149 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Matheus Pereira
« Reply #2250 on: July 30, 2021, 09:36:16 PM »
It does not take a genius to work out our position is fragile. We need to sell to buy most football clubs in most leagues have to there is quite literally a handful that don't.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2251 on: July 30, 2021, 09:39:09 PM »
A £25m sale means Pereira is only 25% of the player Grealish is in terms of ability.  I'd be surprised if even 1 WBA Supporter agreed with that outcome.

This has got Lukaku stamped all over again when we baulked at £20m and within 2 years he was gone for £75m.

Fair play to Villa they had the balls to say £100m to MC and they have buckled.

A £25m Pereira sale should be met with absolute derision.....

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2252 on: July 30, 2021, 10:06:38 PM »
He’s a champions league player, and a top class one at that. We need to get every penny we can and hope he goes to a great club where he gets to show how good he is.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2253 on: July 30, 2021, 10:21:19 PM »
He’s a champions league player, and a top class one at that. We need to get every penny we can and hope he goes to a great club where he gets to show how good he is.
I'm afraid his price tag isn't going to reflect that. His next move may get him in the position where he has the opportunity to show he has the consistency and ability to justify that sort of rating but he's not there yet.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2254 on: July 30, 2021, 10:29:33 PM »
I'm afraid his price tag isn't going to reflect that. His next move may get him in the position where he has the opportunity to show he has the consistency and ability to justify that sort of rating but he's not there yet.

2 words Stamford Bridge.

Playing in a poor team also.

If it's WHU, will be the best £25m they've ever spent.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 10:33:55 PM by Dexy »

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2255 on: July 30, 2021, 10:41:09 PM »
2 words Stamford Bridge.

Playing in a poor team also.

If it's WHU, will be the best £25m they've ever spent.
It takes more than that to justify the top class champions league player statement. He may go on to justify that label but he has a way to go yet.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2256 on: July 30, 2021, 10:55:28 PM »
It is really simple if Pereira was comparable with Grealish in the view of the people that matter i.e. Man City or another big 6 club then this is what they do. They buy Pereira and Johnstone for £50m. You have a comparable player to Grealish and you have Johnstone as a back up option and the key is Johnstone qualifies as home grown so that covers off one of the advantages that Grealish holds over Pereira. Even though Man City are richer than God they still won't turn their noses up at this because that is another £50m they can throw at Spurs for Kane.

Nobody is bidding more than £30m for Pereira because a) they don't need to for a whole host of reasons but the biggest is we are not in the Premier League and the player is looking at a 50% wage cut and  or b) they don't think he is as good as a similar player that they are prepared to pay £100m or £50m for.

It is not a disgrace it is not an insult it is something called reality. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2257 on: July 30, 2021, 10:57:22 PM »
It takes more than that to justify the top class champions league player statement. He may go on to justify that label but he has a way to go yet.

Lol.  No one did what Pereira did last season at Chelsea. When has the £95m Pogba ever been consistent?

Undervaluing player achievements does WBA no favours whatsoever.

You can think of him as a lower Premier League player, I think otherwise.  Buendia has gone for £33m.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2258 on: July 30, 2021, 11:11:39 PM »
Lol.  No one did what Pereira did last season at Chelsea. When has the £95m Pogba ever been consistent?

You can think of him as a lower Premier League player, I think otherwise.  Buendia has gone for £33m.
I'm afraid his achievements to date mean he'll be priced at the £20m - £25m mark. Pogba's a world cup winner.

I think Allardyce got it about right with his assessment

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2021/04/28/sam-allardyce-matheus-pereira-can-be-one-of-the-best-in-premier-league/

"I have worked with some world class players in my time," the boss said.

"I can’t say Matheus is world class but he certainly has the potential to be a top class Premier League player if he continues developing.
"He is still very young. And I think when he is committed and when he works as hard as he did against Aston Villa, when he shows that ability – then he is certainly a big difference and a big game player for West Brom.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2259 on: July 30, 2021, 11:29:44 PM »

If only matches against Chelsea were the only yardstick. We’d get £150 for Callum Robinson.

sconesy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2260 on: July 31, 2021, 12:26:13 AM »
Pereira is a genius with a football, who knows what level he can achieve. He has everything; the skill, swagger, arrogance and belief.

I don’t begrudge him at all…..in a poor team he’s shone and carried us at times. We’re stumped as he’s ‘only been playing for Albion’! In a top 6 team he’s 40/50 mil all day long.

I’d like to see how a top team/manager handles him. He’ll need to hustle more and need to do extra miles; if so…..he’s something else.

We unfortunately went down, so the money is invaluable.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2261 on: July 31, 2021, 12:31:50 AM »
A £25m sale means Pereira is only 25% of the player Grealish is in terms of ability.  I'd be surprised if even 1 WBA Supporter agreed with that outcome.

This has got Lukaku stamped all over again when we baulked at £20m and within 2 years he was gone for £75m.

Fair play to Villa they had the balls to say £100m to MC and they have buckled.

A £25m Pereira sale should be met with absolute derision.....

I’ve also been pondering this since before the season closed and at the moment I’m thinking we’d be daft to sell Pereira for £25million or less.

I reckon we’re better off keeping him for another season.

Knowing the Albion though, he’s probably already been sold for £25million maximum and we’re wasting our time talking about it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 12:34:19 AM by PartisanBaggie »

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2262 on: July 31, 2021, 12:38:33 AM »
I was referring to the Times article in recent weeks which discussed his potential sale to China rather than the footy insider articles of tripe.
£25M was what we were prepared to accept after the first half of the season, before his form improved dramatically. I wouldn't like to actually put a price on him, but I'd imagine the club will be looking for 30 at least.  Whether they get it or not is another question.
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

sconesy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2263 on: July 31, 2021, 12:41:40 AM »
I’ve also been pondering this since before the season closed and at the moment I’m thinking we’d be daft to sell Pereira for £25million or less.

I reckon we’re better off keeping him for another season.

Knowing the Albion though, he’s probably already been sold for £25million maximum and we’re wasting our time talking about it.

Under normal circumstances yes we could keep him. But it think we’re still paying the price for past frivolities. Krychowiak, Sturridge we’re big gambles that failed, as has Grant so far. We have an owner who won’t/can’t invest…..it’s inevitable.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2264 on: July 31, 2021, 12:53:23 AM »
Under normal circumstances yes we could keep him. But it think we’re still paying the price for past frivolities. Krychowiak, Sturridge we’re big gambles that failed, as has Grant so far. We have an owner who won’t/can’t invest…..it’s inevitable.

Krychowiak and Sturridge were expensive loan signings from the 17/18 relegation season which as far as I’m aware we don’t owe any money on.

Grant has been a disappointing signing so far, although I expect him to contribute more at Championship level.

What concerns me most is whether we’re going to spend/reinvest the money wisely from Pereira’s sale? If his sale results in us bringing in quantity over quality (which would no doubt reduce our promotion competitiveness) we may as well keep him for another season.

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2265 on: July 31, 2021, 12:57:20 AM »
Krychowiak and Sturridge were expensive loan signings from the 17/18 relegation season which as far as I’m aware we don’t owe any money on.

Grant has been a disappointing signing so far, although I expect him to contribute more at Championship level.

What concerns me most is whether we’re going to spend/reinvest the money wisely from Pereira’s sale? If his sale results in us bringing in quantity over quality (which would no doubt reduce our promotion competitiveness) we may as well keep him for another season.

We may as well keep him for another season... I don't trust 'em.

sconesy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2266 on: July 31, 2021, 12:59:40 AM »

Fair comment fella….it seems a long time ago but paying 100k a week (x 2) smashed our bank balance down to zero.

Unfortunately, as you’re well aware….there’s no money leaving China into the Prem. groups like Fosun are a global entity and have flexibility…we’re screwed.

If we go up Lai will surely run, and if it happens…we’ll all have been extremely lucky.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2267 on: July 31, 2021, 02:09:00 AM »
Fair comment fella….it seems a long time ago but paying 100k a week (x 2) smashed our bank balance down to zero.

Unfortunately, as you’re well aware….there’s no money leaving China into the Prem. groups like Fosun are a global entity and have flexibility…we’re screwed.

If we go up Lai will surely run, and if it happens…we’ll all have been extremely lucky.

I’ve gone past the notion of Lai being able to sell the club anytime soon. Even if we are promoted, he’d still be faced with the same problem as last season. I guess that’s why this ‘longer-term’ plan is currently in situ.

As for the Chinese money thing, Lai hasn’t invested a penny since originally buying the club as an investment back in 2016. I don’t expect that to change either.

FOSUN on other hand are cutting back at the Custard Bowl.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2268 on: July 31, 2021, 02:11:10 AM »
We may as well keep him for another season... I don't trust 'em.

Yep, me neither. That’s why I mentioned in an earlier post he’s probably already been sold.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2269 on: July 31, 2021, 05:58:07 AM »

Yep totally agree. I think his level can be as high as he wants it to be but think his next move will be the stepping stone to that level, so we just need to get as much as we can.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2270 on: July 31, 2021, 07:51:46 AM »
It is really simple if Pereira was comparable with Grealish in the view of the people that matter i.e. Man City or another big 6 club then this is what they do. They buy Pereira and Johnstone for £50m. You have a comparable player to Grealish and you have Johnstone as a back up option and the key is Johnstone qualifies as home grown so that covers off one of the advantages that Grealish holds over Pereira. Even though Man City are richer than God they still won't turn their noses up at this because that is another £50m they can throw at Spurs for Kane.

Nobody is bidding more than £30m for Pereira because a) they don't need to for a whole host of reasons but the biggest is we are not in the Premier League and the player is looking at a 50% wage cut and  or b) they don't think he is as good as a similar player that they are prepared to pay £100m or £50m for.

The above is the cold , hard truth .
Comparing MP to Pogba is the same , Pogba has won things at the highest level as much as his 2nd spell at Old Trafford has been mixed .
Reality is 25m / 30m with addons is about right for MP.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2271 on: July 31, 2021, 08:07:21 AM »
If only matches against Chelsea were the only yardstick. We’d get £150 for Callum Robinson.

Harsh, we'd definitely get more than £150  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Baltic

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2272 on: July 31, 2021, 08:39:46 AM »
The fact that the top 6 have shown no interest in MP so far, indicates there is a concern about his capability at 'top level'.  It might be pace or perhaps defensive discipline.  I have to accept their superior judgement but frankly don't see it.  He's proved he can change a game at EPL level on a regular basis, his skills are almost unique, the pace of pass/vision are outstanding.

My forecast is that we will lose him for a fee in the £25m range, but he will move on within 2 years for £50m plus to a top team. 

Why the valuation consensus is so low, I just don't understand.  (Masi in one podcast thought £18m was OK).   Leicester sold Chilwell for £45m and Brighton sold White for £50m, are they the most talented players they've had in 40 years? ... I doubt it.  We once were raped by Man Utd but at least we sold our best player for a world record fee, now it seems Albion players are under valued even compared with Brentford!

If we are to be successful in the future we will have to change our image and become much more competent at the 'game' of hyping and selling our star assets.  The current set up is clearly not up to the task. 

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2273 on: July 31, 2021, 08:58:43 AM »

Great post which sums up the realities of where we are.

People continue to use Buendia and Grealish as a yardstick. Those posters need to remember that both of those selling clubs are in the Premier League with no requirement to sell and can therefore attract a premium price.

We on the other hand are in the championship and do not have a pot to **** in.

Had we stayed up last season then you would find ourselves in the position of being able to request top dollar. We didn’t. And we now need the monies to invest in the current side of which Pereira has no future.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2274 on: July 31, 2021, 08:59:15 AM »

Why the valuation consensus is so low, I just don't understand.  (Masi in one podcast thought £18m was OK).   Leicester sold Chilwell for £45m and Brighton sold White for £50m, are they the most talented players they've had in 40 years? ... I doubt it.  ...

Thing is Leicester and Brighton were offering Chilwell and White the spotlit stage and wages of the Premier League.  Buying clubs know that clubs in the EFL are bound to sell sooner or later. 

The way I see it, situation is
a. we hold out for >£25M and get a large fee but too late in the window when the players that we are looking at are gone and we're left with a load of money (maybe taxable, I don't know WBA's accounting year, or maybe set against losses of previous years)

b. We hold on and don't sell him.  Then there's the strong possibility that he becomes sulky, does not train sufficiently; gets himself sent off for a rest or by precedent do an Evans, a Berahino or an Odemwingie on us.

c. We sell him early in the window (preferably overseas) for ~£25M and use the money to strengthen.

Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes