Author Topic: Matheus Pereira  (Read 487156 times)

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Matheus Pereira
« Reply #2225 on: July 29, 2021, 12:32:19 PM »
The other thing to remember is that MP did 'go missing' for several months last year, and IMO only started playing again after Big Sam probably had a word in his ear to say " you can either carry on sulking and be stuck here, or start showing everyone what a great player you are, hopefully keep us up but if not you'll have put yourself in the shop window for a move elsewhere"
Pereira always looks much less effective when played wide though, which is what Allardyce kept doing.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2226 on: July 29, 2021, 01:39:07 PM »
Pereira always looks much less effective when played wide though, which is what Allardyce kept doing.
But then again Pereira probably had his best games under Allardyce. As good as Pereira is he sometimes gave us a balance issue. Having a solid midfield 3 of Yokuslu, Gallagher and AMN gave Pereira more freedom even though he was nominally starting wider. Whether Championship or Prem we sometimes got outnumbered in midfield through Pereira being a very attack minded No 10 leaving two CMs battling away behind him (the 3-0 Leicester game being a classic example where we were up against 3 quality midfield players). Other managers will be looking at where he is going to fit into their systems - as good as the figures look it's not all about the goals and assist stats.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2227 on: July 29, 2021, 03:50:20 PM »
But then again Pereira probably had his best games under Allardyce. As good as Pereira is he sometimes gave us a balance issue. Having a solid midfield 3 of Yokuslu, Gallagher and AMN gave Pereira more freedom even though he was nominally starting wider. Whether Championship or Prem we sometimes got outnumbered in midfield through Pereira being a very attack minded No 10 leaving two CMs battling away behind him (the 3-0 Leicester game being a classic example where we were up against 3 quality midfield players). Other managers will be looking at where he is going to fit into their systems - as good as the figures look it's not all about the goals and assist stats.
best game of season was when we battered the eventual champions league winners on their own patch. Okay and AMN centre partnership with Matheus given licence to roam in front of those two. Absolutely ran riot that day.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2228 on: July 29, 2021, 05:06:10 PM »
best game of season was when we battered the eventual champions league winners on their own patch. Okay and AMN centre partnership with Matheus given licence to roam in front of those two. Absolutely ran riot that day.
Yeah but that particular game doesn't prove anything about formation. The Chelsea sending off impacted the game - we were one down and went on the front foot which obviously suited Pereira. I'm not trying to say that formation never worked but there have certainly been plenty of games where we've been outnumbered and outworked in midfield with that formation.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2229 on: July 29, 2021, 05:42:01 PM »

yet he scored 10 of his 11 goals under Allardyce and managed the same amount of assists as under Bilic.

According to transfermarkt Allardyce played him rightwing/midfield 9 times, Am 9 times, left wing 3 times and as a second striker once.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/matheus-pereira/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/225984/saison/2020/wettbewerb/GB1/verein/984

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2230 on: July 29, 2021, 05:46:00 PM »

Pereira lined up as wide left on that day as part of a midfield 4.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56546577

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2231 on: July 29, 2021, 06:01:11 PM »
Pereira lined up as wide left on that day as part of a midfield 4.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56546577
might have lined up that way but had the freedom to roam that day

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2232 on: July 29, 2021, 06:02:41 PM »
yet he scored 10 of his 11 goals under Allardyce and managed the same amount of assists as under Bilic.

According to transfermarkt Allardyce played him rightwing/midfield 9 times, Am 9 times, left wing 3 times and as a second striker once.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/matheus-pereira/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/225984/saison/2020/wettbewerb/GB1/verein/984

I don't think there is any dispute that he is better through the middle than drifting in from wide, but he's class in either position. Agreed he was better in the second half of the season - because he had better players around him to help out.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2233 on: July 29, 2021, 06:04:14 PM »
Yeah but that particular game doesn't prove anything about formation. The Chelsea sending off impacted the game - we were one down and went on the front foot which obviously suited Pereira. I'm not trying to say that formation never worked but there have certainly been plenty of games where we've been outnumbered and outworked in midfield with that formation.
mate you should watch that game again even before sending off we were better team. Dingle Sam should of kept the midfield two but could not change it quick enough.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2234 on: July 29, 2021, 06:10:02 PM »
Presuming Sam Johnstone leaves this is the team I would start the season with based on what we have now:

Button
Furlong, Bartley, Ajayi, Townsend
Livermore, Pereira, Mowatt
Grady, Robinson, Grant

That still leaves: Palmer, Clarke, O'Shea, Kipre, Phillips, Snodgrass, Sawyers, Tulloch, Zohore to pick the bench from.

Pretty strong team and squad all round, that starting eleven should do some real damage at this level. Ideally we could do with two or three more squad fillers to help over the course of the 46 game season but we can always 1) play the academy in the league cup, 2) use the loan market & 3) buy a couple if needs be in January.

If we get £40m in for Pereira then I can understand the board being tempted but less than that and I think it's an own goal. No point selling him and taking his goals / assists from the team to sign a striker like Cauley Woodrow - that isn't going to leave us any better off.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2235 on: July 29, 2021, 06:12:58 PM »
mate you should watch that game again even before sending off we were better team. Dingle Sam should of kept the midfield two but could not change it quick enough.
Like I've said one game does not prove any point one way or the other.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2236 on: July 29, 2021, 06:41:18 PM »
Presuming Sam Johnstone leaves this is the team I would start the season with based on what we have now:

Button
Furlong, Bartley, Ajayi, Townsend
Livermore, Pereira, Mowatt
Grady, Robinson, Grant

That still leaves: Palmer, Clarke, O'Shea, Kipre, Phillips, Snodgrass, Sawyers, Tulloch, Zohore to pick the bench from.

Pretty strong team and squad all round, that starting eleven should do some real damage at this level. Ideally we could do with two or three more squad fillers to help over the course of the 46 game season but we can always 1) play the academy in the league cup, 2) use the loan market & 3) buy a couple if needs be in January.

If we get £40m in for Pereira then I can understand the board being tempted but less than that and I think it's an own goal. No point selling him and taking his goals / assists from the team to sign a striker like Cauley Woodrow - that isn't going to leave us any better off.

He's not deviating from that 343. I'd play Pereira in place of Livermore .
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Pelada

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2237 on: July 29, 2021, 10:42:15 PM »
£22m being reported as West Ham bid?

I think that’s about 8m light - he is genuinely that good.

I hope we are wise and just stick a cheeky sell on fee in there.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2238 on: July 29, 2021, 10:45:33 PM »
If its £22m + offsetting what we owe for Grady (circa £8m? then we're talking.)

Otherwise. Start adding!
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2239 on: July 29, 2021, 10:48:02 PM »
£22m being reported as West Ham bid?

I think that’s about 8m light - he is genuinely that good.

I hope we are wise and just stick a cheeky sell on fee in there.

I think you’re right. One thing is clear, sadly: he will be gone before the new season starts.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2240 on: July 29, 2021, 10:48:09 PM »
Selling Pereira for 22m would be an appalling deal for us.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2241 on: July 29, 2021, 10:52:24 PM »
Given the previous reports of a £25m deal (regardless of the other shenanigans) then that would suggest it’s a price the club has in mind,

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2242 on: July 30, 2021, 10:24:47 AM »
Given the previous reports of a £25m deal (regardless of the other shenanigans) then that would suggest it’s a price the club has in mind,

They haven't been any credible reports on a selling price, it's all click bait nonsense and guess work.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2243 on: July 30, 2021, 10:28:52 AM »
Nothing can be close since the club released him on the video of the players having their photo shoots in the home kit.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2244 on: July 30, 2021, 10:30:21 AM »
Nothing can be close since the club released him on the video of the players having their photo shoots in the home kit.

I dont think anything is close but he will still have to fulfill his duties here while waiting for his move. Essentially he's keeping fit and training with us at the moment while the board do their thing.

WBA.R.K

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2245 on: July 30, 2021, 10:49:30 AM »

Sadly I think it's a case of giving some people false hope in an attempt to sell more kit-That's the pessimist in me talking
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 10:57:23 AM by WBA.R.K »

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2246 on: July 30, 2021, 10:53:11 AM »
It's impossible to say. Everyone is guessing. I suppose his price varies depending on how many teams are seriously going to bid and how late it gets in the transfer window. If teams really want him the price could rocket towards the end of August. Unfortunately, if rumours are to be believed we can't do much more in terms of bringing payers VI wants until we have some cash from the sale of MP.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2247 on: July 30, 2021, 01:48:50 PM »
They haven't been any credible reports on a selling price, it's all click bait nonsense and guess work.

I was referring to the Times article in recent weeks which discussed his potential sale to China rather than the footy insider articles of tripe.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2248 on: July 30, 2021, 05:56:51 PM »
I was referring to the Times article in recent weeks which discussed his potential sale to China rather than the footy insider articles of tripe.

That times article was about a potential transfer last January before Pereira lit up the premiership and never got off the ground. Doesn't mean diddly squat for this summer. City are bidding £100m for Squealish as an opening offer.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2249 on: July 30, 2021, 06:38:05 PM »
Unfortunately the club saying they can't sign anyone until they sell players has weakened our hand. Interested buyers are in no rush now. They can wait till the end of the window and come in even lower unless a bidding war breaks out.