Author Topic: Summer transfer window opinions  (Read 7163 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Summer transfer window opinions
« on: August 09, 2018, 05:23:30 PM »
While the loan window is still open, and we could still technically make permanent signings with conditions attached, the "main" summer window has now closed. So what's everyone's opinion of our summer business?
Boing Boing

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Summer transfer window opinions
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 05:28:38 PM »
Well, I'd say we've weakened the starting goalkeeper position.

If we actually keep all of the players we have as of now, we should be able to avoid relegation quite comfortably. Who knows how many could go out on loan though in the coming weeks............

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 05:31:46 PM »
Still one striker short and not addressed the issues in the centre of the pitch, expect a young kid to be signed on loan at some stage to sit on the bench
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 05:32:12 PM »
Poor. With the parachute payments we should have been pro active not re active. Our failure to improve our options in many areas but cm particularly could well come back and bite us in the bum
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 05:34:39 PM »
Well, I'd say we've weakened the starting goalkeeper position.

If we actually keep all of the players we have as of now, we should be able to avoid relegation quite comfortably. Who knows how many could go out on loan though in the coming weeks............

Agree that the goalkeeper position has been weakened. That also has a knock on effect with the defence. Hegazi has always been positionally poor and without an experienced keeper shouting at him he's even worse, hence the first two games of the season.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 05:35:16 PM »
Poor really. Apart from Barnes have we improved at all?  We don't appear to have spent much, if anything. 

There's still hope with the loan window I guess but equally we could end up losing other players.

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 05:35:50 PM »
I’m confused, we are in the first year of parachute money, flex down contracts, big earners have gone off the books, better season ticket sales, better shirt sales and yet we are acting as if we are skint
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 05:36:29 PM »
On loan, we still need;
  • a hold up striker (replace Rondon - don't count HRK)
    a centre attacking midfielder to replace the injured or not playing Chadli
    a right back

On paper, the fact we've kept Dawson, Hegazi and Rodriguez is positive provided they give their all at least to January? Although , i thought our squad on paper last season had quality and we know how their attitude let them down badly then!

Overall, we have a squad more than able to compete in the top four in this division. COYB

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 05:36:38 PM »
I think its been an average window

Problems that needed addressing last season in CM have still not been satisfied this window

a target man (Chris Wood or Vokes) would have been ok for me and a decent CM who can move forward with the ball and is a ball playing midfielder was desperately needed

im not happy after the comments from Jenkins about being able to spend when we clearly havent....its poor from the club, has let the fans down big time and that will start telling on the terraces soon
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 05:40:51 PM »
Happy enough with our business would have liked us to sell and replace Kanu and Livermore. We're in the strong position now of being among the most wealthy English clubs that can still sign players. The caveat is an initial loan before they officially sign in January.

We are unlikely to lose Dawson or Rodriguez as the window is shut completely on Premier League clubs. Chadli may still be sold abroad.

Regards the goalkeeper it was always going to be weaker. This nonsense about Foster leaving so he didn't have to compete with Johnstone is just that. He's still in the top 6 or 8 keepers in the PL.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 05:45:20 PM »
In the next 3 weeks, it isn't impossible that the powers that be notice the gaps in our team and pull off a couple of really useful loan to permanent deals (this is the 1st time since the transfer window rules were put in place, that championship clubs have had a further 3 weeks to make loan signings, so it is hard to know what to expect come the end of August).

Looking at what we have done so far however, i'm concerned. I have not seen any evidence of a long term strategy for this team, meaning whatever happens this year, we will have to make wholesale changes next summer. Why have we not looked at a gradual, long term plan?

Last season, many people inside, around and outside the club seemed to agree that we suffered from injuries to our creative players and that helped result in our relegation. This seems to have gone over Moore and whoever else's heads as we have mainly focussed on signing defenders and a goal keeper this year. Our only attacking central midfielder is a 32 year old, fading James Morrison - somebody who has always looked more suited to the premier league than the championship (2 average seasons in this league were always followed by good performances in the top flight, maybe because he had more space).

There is still room forbthis season to be a success. It's possivle Dawson comes back in and knuckles down, improving our defence. Rodriguez and Gayle both have pedigree in this division so could be lethal. Chadli might yet stay fit and stay here, allowing him to terorrise the division. And maybe Barnes can be converted from a wide player into somebody who can play more central, he clearly has a real talent.

There are too many doubts for me though. Top 2 looks outbofbthe question at the moment, although we could squeeze in through the play offs.

I just wish I could see the transfer strategy in place that saw us sign a number of good players on free transfers, while signing up and coming 21 and 22 year olds like the kast time we were in this division. All I see at the moment is an over reliance on loan deals.
Boing Boing

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 05:46:39 PM »
It hasn't closed really.

Can still sign loan to perm for another 3 weeks. Loan to perm is exactly the same as a permanent transfer just a slight wording in the contract.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 05:51:32 PM »
I'm pleased enough that we've held onto Chadli, Dawson and Jay Rod as I think they offer as much quality as any of the links mentioned. As long as Chadli doesn't get snapped by a European club. Just gutted to have lost Foster. Don't think Johnstone is a match for Foster and its disrupted our strength and organisation at the back. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 05:52:14 PM »
Need a right back and maybe centre mid if field isn’t trusted. Kept a lot of good players. We don’t need a extra striker if we’re only playing 1 up top (which we should be). Potential city of;

Johnstone
Nyom Dawson Bartley Gibbs
Livermore field/Barry/brunt
Phillips Chadli Barnes
Gayle

Best xi in the league on paper but of course football isn’t played on paper

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 06:02:55 PM »
Has anyone actually looked at the transfer window rules to see if loan to permanent deals can be done up until Aug 31st or whether it can only be straight loans?

I think the transfer window has been dismal in several respects:
  • We currently have 2.5 strikers (and 0.5 is generous for Robson-Kanu) for a 46 game season. Edwards isn't even getting on the bench, so clearly isn't being regarded as ready to play at this level
  • We haven't addressed the issue at right-back
  • We still have players here who don't want to be here. Unless they go abroad, we're stuck with them and are wholly reliant on how they deal with their disappointment
  • As several people have agreed, it was a no-brainer to sign Maddison, but we haven't done it. It didn't need to be dependent on someone else going
  • We're reliant on Chadli (if he stays) and Morrison not spending most of the season injured again
No doubt some will say that it's not a problem because we can still bring in loan players. What they're forgetting is our pretty awful experienceof doing this for some considerable time. Has that been unlucky, due to poor scouting or because players on loan, when push comes to shove, aren't going to put in the same levels of commitment as a permanent signings? It's probably down to all 3 of them, but relying on loans to fill important positions is a foolhardy and cheapskate approach.

For example, how many Prem clubs are going to have good quality strikers to spare now that the window has closed? They'll probably have some youngsters they'll be happy to loan out, but that would be a desperate gamble for a club like ours that's at least 1 striker short of what we need. Any decent quality strikers are more than likely to be named in their 25 man squads.

People can try to sugar coat what's happened if they like, but Darren hasn't got players in the specific positions he said we needed to fill and Jenkins hasn't been true to his word from earlier in the summer. And, of course, Lai and Piyue have remained completely silent.

Many will feel that we were complacent last season, well we've just repeated the same mistake again. The current regime at the club is nothing short of abysmal and is taking us all for mugs.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 06:06:10 PM by WorcsWBA »

rogerstubbs

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 06:05:28 PM »
If it stays as it is ,I think we have had a good transfer window ,however 10 more deals are likely to go through involving premiership deals before 7pm.Also Scottish and European clubs can still buy before 31 August. If stands as it is and we have kept Dawson Rodriguez Chadli Gibbs Livermore Hegazi Burke Field Phillips added Gayle and Barnes,I for one think we will have done well.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 06:07:08 PM »
If stands as it is and we have kept Dawson Rodriguez Chadli Gibbs Livermore Hegazi Burke Field Phillips added Gayle and Barnes,I for one think we will have done well.
After all, they all did so well last season.....  ::)

nybaggie10

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 06:09:13 PM »
This window is more interesting in terms of who we kept rather than who we signed. Dawson, Rodriguez and Chadli (assuming he isn't loaned out) should be outstanding performers at this level and our squad with these three included have more than enough to be competing at the top end of the table.

The key player for me is Chadli. It's been obvious in our first two games we don't have that creative midfielder who can unlock doors, score goals and make things happen. In previous promotion seasons we've had Koumas or Dorrans providing that creativity and back in 2001/02 McInnes and AJ just ran and tackled the opposition into the ground. Livermore and Brunt together are going to do neither.

It will be an interesting test for Big Dave to see what he can get out of Dawson and Chadli (should he stay) in particular.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 06:10:52 PM »
This may be a daft thing to say but - What was the point of selling to a rich Chinese bloke if were not going to spend a penny.

Seems we made one man very rich and our club underfunded.

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 06:21:06 PM »
Think we have had a great transfer window managing to keep hold of Brunt, Livermore and Morrison again give us the edge over more mobile teams and allows us to develope our attacking Centre backs. HOOF BALL

tucka9

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 06:22:35 PM »
Squad as it stands
Johnstone myhill bond
Nyom Dawson hegazi Bartley Tosin Gibbs Townsend
Livermore Barry brunt Morrison field harper
Phillips Chadli Burke Barnes Leko
Rodriguez Gayle Robson Kanu Edwards

That squad is still one of if not the strongest in the league, if we can get a couple of loan to permanent signings in, a right back and a striker then I think it would be quite successful.
Let’s judge the 31st August 

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 06:31:21 PM »
Whats the money situtation, i would say mr Li is a few quid better off
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Paulsammax

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 06:43:20 PM »
I don't think our business is necessarily done. If Chadli leaves to go abroad we will sign a loan or loan to permanent player to replace him. If he does stay then he will be an asset to the team. He's going to have to put himself in the shop window at least as despite a decent World Cup, we've not been inundated with offers. Having said this, I'd be surprised to see him play for at least a couple of weeks. I noticed that a fair few premier league teams are still resting their World Cup players who reached the last 4 so I think we will too.
I'm hoping that Dawson knuckles down and gets on with what he's good at.
I'm also hoping for good things from Barry as he is easily good enough for this league.
Maybe I'm wrong but I think we will be ok

koren

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 06:48:58 PM »
Didn't address our main problem - Midfield.
Failed to sign a creative midfielder in whole summer lol
The PRIDE of midlands

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 06:55:33 PM »
To answer my own question, here are the official rules of the EFL for what can still be done up until Aug 31st:
  • Sign players on Standard Loan up to the 31st August 2018
  • Sign players on Standard Loan up to 31st August 2018 with an option to agree a permanent transfer when the next window opens
  • Register players who ceased to be registered with a club during the period up until 31st August 2018
  • Transfer players OUT to a club in any League whose window is still open
Clubs in the EFL can have a maximum of 8 players on loan of which up to 5 can be named in the match-day squad. The above wording implies that players on loan-to-permanent deals are still on loan. We already have 3 loanees: Barnes, Adarabioyo and Gayle.

We'll just have to wait and see what clubs are going to be willing to do loan-to-permanent deals and what quality of player is going to be available in such deals.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 06:57:08 PM by WorcsWBA »