Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 662014 times)

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #3275 on: August 06, 2021, 10:06:28 AM »
I think he has got better each season with us, first season i thought he was average first season.

I always thought confidence and commanding his box was his weakness but he seemed to get better as last season went on and with him being involved as number 2 at the euros for england, that should be a huge confidence boost.

I wouldnt be devastated if he left but i would like to see him sign a new deal and stay and hopefully continue improving as that can only benefit us.

There are people who see his first season as it and that was not good defensively with all the players having to pass the ball no matter what the danger, due to Graeme Jones coaching.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3276 on: August 06, 2021, 10:37:48 AM »
Was always a strong critic of Johnstone but he's warmed on me the past couple of seasons.

Great shot stopper and penalty stopper - kept us in some games last season despite the defence having given up for large portions of the season.

He doesn't command his area well and seems to get lost at set-pieces but how much of that is due to defence losing their man I can't say - and we've hardly improved in that area going into this season. Maybe Ismaels high press will mean the defence are less exposed this season and he'll have little to do.

What he lacks is that little bit of a nut-case edge that a lot of top goalies have. I've never seen him get fired up, bollock his defence and start leading from the back. If the defence aren't doing their job, yell at them. If you're sick of flapping at corners, get out there and win the ball and knock somebody on their backside.

That said I'd be happy if he stayed, not overly convinced by Button or Palmer and can't see who we'd get in to replace him.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3277 on: August 06, 2021, 11:03:53 PM »
Val said in his post match interview that ‘we extend Sam’s contract’.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3278 on: August 06, 2021, 11:35:08 PM »

Not in the one on Sky. He'd finished talking about SJ and was then talking about the 3 contract extensions as if answering the question about the transfer window.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3279 on: August 06, 2021, 11:45:51 PM »

Yep, i saw that one too. He clearly said "we extend Sam's contract".

Good news, especially after that display from Button i wasn't too crazy about.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3280 on: August 06, 2021, 11:52:06 PM »
Yep, i saw that one too. He clearly said "we extend Sam's contract".

Good news, especially after that display from Button i wasn't too crazy about.

Right going to watch it a 3rd time  ;D

Edit.

"We are very happy with the squad, we extend SOME contracts"

He's finished talking about Johnstone at this point.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:54:22 PM by TheJacko2000 »

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3281 on: August 07, 2021, 01:30:58 AM »
In the American version on sky English site he clearly say he extends his contract

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3282 on: August 07, 2021, 01:42:26 AM »
I'm not doing a full transcript but VI never mentions SJ's contract status.  ???

BaggiePhil

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #3283 on: August 07, 2021, 05:49:23 AM »
So if we sell Johnstone who are we going to replace him with that is better? After last night it certainly isn't Button. So how much of the fee would get us a better keeper than Johnstone? I say keep him and replace him if we get to the Prem. His value won't have gone down if we get promoted.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3284 on: August 07, 2021, 06:50:28 AM »

Edit.

. Ah ok. I’d thought he said Sam.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3285 on: August 07, 2021, 08:51:44 AM »
. Ah ok. I’d thought he said Sam.

You aren't the only one I had to listen to it three times.

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3286 on: August 07, 2021, 09:39:46 AM »

Edit.

I've requested the transcript from Sky, he said extend Sam.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3287 on: August 07, 2021, 09:41:42 AM »
Anyway, put him back into the team

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3288 on: August 07, 2021, 11:32:02 AM »
Think he may have just signed a new contract. He's posted a photo on twitter with an egg timer emoji.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

buzzingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3289 on: August 07, 2021, 11:40:41 AM »
Excellent last season, let's hope he can replicate it this season. Confidence must be sky high!

Likely to be better than most we can bring in.

Come on Sam.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3290 on: August 07, 2021, 01:30:59 PM »
Think he may have just signed a new contract. He's posted a photo on twitter with an egg timer emoji.

Depressing stuff. If he’s happy to sign a new deal then it’s obvious that no premiership club is interested in him. Which means we are stuck with him flapping around, which will unsettle the defence.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3291 on: August 07, 2021, 02:51:15 PM »
He's slightly better than Button, but there's not much in it. If we get a reasonable offer for him, we need to let him go. The extra funds would be of more benefit to the club.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

boingboing1989

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3292 on: August 07, 2021, 02:58:19 PM »
He's slightly better than Button, but there's not much in it. If we get a reasonable offer for him, we need to let him go. The extra funds would be of more benefit to the club.
Reasonable offer let him go but he is miles ahead of Button, I will be concerned if Button is our number one for the rest of the season.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3293 on: August 07, 2021, 03:04:33 PM »
Reasonable offer let him go but he is miles ahead of Button, I will be concerned if Button is our number one for the rest of the season.
Button made 2 or 3 top full length saves last night. Would SJ have got them? We don't know. We also don't know if SJ would have got to B'mths 2 goals.
All ifs and buts, but I can't see much that separates them.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3294 on: August 07, 2021, 03:40:14 PM »
Button made 2 or 3 top full length saves last night. Would SJ have got them? We don't know. We also don't know if SJ would have got to B'mths 2 goals.
All ifs and buts, but I can't see much that separates them.
Button been close to the England squad has he ? There’s a reason he’s barely been a first choice in recent years .
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 06:07:41 PM by hardtobeat »
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3295 on: August 07, 2021, 03:43:09 PM »
Button no where near the standard of Sam and granted he made two descent saves but should of done better with their two goals. Sam would of stopped the first one and been out quickly for the second if he palmed ball into danger area. No comparison for the two keeper's in my eyes Sam a no 1 Button clearly a number 2

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3296 on: August 07, 2021, 04:18:30 PM »
Button no where near the standard of Sam and granted he made two descent saves but should of done better with their two goals. Sam would of stopped the first one and been out quickly for the second if he palmed ball into danger area. No comparison for the two keeper's in my eyes Sam a no 1 Button clearly a number 2

He'd have just stood and watched flat footed as Brooks effort found the bottom corner though...  ;D

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3297 on: August 07, 2021, 05:29:07 PM »
Nobody has blamed playing in front of a crowd yet for Button's performances, speaks volumes. I'd stick with him ahead of Johnstone who just isn't very good and doesn't have the warrior temperament that psycho keepers need.

California Dreaming

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3298 on: August 07, 2021, 05:37:54 PM »
Well I'm grateful that you don't get to select the team. Button was hesitant, his distribution wasn't great and he could have done better with both goals. If that had been Johnstone, you and certain others would have been all over him.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3299 on: August 07, 2021, 05:53:28 PM »
It was only Button's third appearance for us, so anyone making sweeping statements about him is being unfair IMO. It does seem likely that Johnstone will be back in the side for next Saturday's game though.