Author Topic: Question I’ve always wondered  (Read 7825 times)

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

Question I’ve always wondered
« on: January 17, 2018, 10:31:54 PM »
Why did we sell Cyrillie Regis??

He was 25 and a top striker...so why?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Question I’ve always wondered
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 10:51:26 PM »
Not now mate.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 12:00:36 AM »
Why did we sell Cyrillie Regis??

He was 25 and a top striker...so why?

It seems just as bonkers now as it did then. He was still a top player and with Gary Thompson playing alongside him we had a good front line. He was a bit injury-prone though. I wasn't living in the country at the time so don't know in any detail but I believe he had fallen out with the club over how they had treated him when injured and (I think) over wages. Despite his relationship with the fans, I think he also just wanted a change and so when Coventry, a smaller club, made an offer he asked to leave. We should have pulled out all the stops to keep him and I doubt it would have taken much to do so but we called his bluff instead and he duly left. I know he went on to do well with Coventry and won a trophy but he later said that leaving the Albion was the one big regret in his career.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 07:44:02 AM »
It seems just as bonkers now as it did then. He was still a top player and with Gary Thompson playing alongside him we had a good front line. He was a bit injury-prone though. I wasn't living in the country at the time so don't know in any detail but I believe he had fallen out with the club over how they had treated him when injured and (I think) over wages. Despite his relationship with the fans, I think he also just wanted a change and so when Coventry, a smaller club, made an offer he asked to leave. We should have pulled out all the stops to keep him and I doubt it would have taken much to do so but we called his bluff instead and he duly left. I know he went on to do well with Coventry and won a trophy but he later said that leaving the Albion was the one big regret in his career.

In his autobiography he said that he felt he should have left before he did (with the benefit of hindsight). From what I remember it was more about a change of scene than anything else. reading between the lines I think he was frustrated with the club for not pushing on when we had really successful spells.

In Johan Cruyff's autobiography he says that he wanted to sign Cyrille for Ajax, when he left for Coventry, as he was a striker at the top of his game.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 09:58:03 AM »
Thanks guys i havent read that autobiography so something i need to.

I completely agree with him that we never did push on at a time that we should have. It seems that is the Albion way though and nothing has changed 30 odd years down the line

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 01:54:43 PM »
Thanks guys i havent read that autobiography so something i need to.

I completely agree with him that we never did push on at a time that we should have. It seems that is the Albion way though and nothing has changed 30 odd years down the line

so true, we had the chance to improve an already decent squad that was maybe 1 or 2 players short of being title contenders for a long time , so what did we do..we dismantled the squad!

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 04:48:35 PM »
so true, we had the chance to improve an already decent squad that was maybe 1 or 2 players short of being title contenders for a long time , so what did we do..we dismantled the squad!

Standard Albion board.
Nothing changes.
No forward vision.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 07:59:33 PM »
His book is a bit cagey on it, it seemed to me there were hints ManU were interested, but he had a few injuries and it petered out.  Then Giles on his second stint didn't feel he fitted the style of play he was after (which was unhinged, he should have been first name on the teamsheet!),  and so when Coventry came along it just sort of happened, quite quickly I think.  He was honest enough to write about being very unhappy for a while and going on the beer a bit too much at times after the move, not Georgie Best style, just too many hours frittered with other players and a bit too much booze for a professional sportsman.

There was a long running wages grumble too, I think.  Coventry were a successful club then, I seem to remember they had been top flight longer than anyone except Arsenal - hard to believe now.  Their cup final win was the only time I have ever seriously cheered for anyone except WBA.  I was screaming for him to get a goal.

I read the book a few years ago, so I might have misremembered bits, please feel free to correct, anybody.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 11:49:07 PM »
couldnt believe we sold him and was in shock for months after but that was our inept board who could only see a fee. :(

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 09:08:17 AM »
couldnt believe we sold him and was in shock for months after but that was our inept board who could only see a fee. :(

When you look at some of the players we had during the period that Cyrille graced the number 9 shirt we really ought to be looking down from far closer to the top of the pile.

Cyrille was amongst a cohort that included not only Brendan and Laurie but also Tony and Ally Brown, Ally Robertson, John Wile, Len Cantello, Bryan Robson, Remi Moses, Willie, John Trewick, and even the lesser lights such as MacKenzie, Owen and Barnes were decent.

Separate thread I know but how did the club manage to turn gold into dust?
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 09:50:14 AM »
When you look at some of the players we had during the period that Cyrille graced the number 9 shirt we really ought to be looking down from far closer to the top of the pile.

Cyrille was amongst a cohort that included not only Brendan and Laurie but also Tony and Ally Brown, Ally Robertson, John Wile, Len Cantello, Bryan Robson, Remi Moses, Willie, John Trewick, and even the lesser lights such as MacKenzie, Owen and Barnes were decent.

You missed out Statham (How?) and Bennett.

You're right though how we managed to end up where we did after having that lot on our books is really quite incredible.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 11:48:45 AM »

You're right though how we managed to end up where we did after having that lot on our books is really quite incredible.

Yes, you’re right and apologies to Decca and Benno for that. My mistake.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 01:55:29 PM »

Erm, Asa Hartford !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 02:56:16 PM »
Erm, Asa Hartford !

I was only thinking of players here during Cyrille’s time at Albion as a player.

Asa had been and gone long before Cyrille’s playing days in the blue and white stripes.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 03:02:30 PM »
Asa left in 74. Would be like blaming our current woes on selling Earnshaw just before the deadline.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 03:21:08 PM »

Not quite how it was, Laurie left and seeing as it was Real Madrid not a lot we could do about it Cantello also left which was a shock i think for personal reasons.
Just bad management led to our demise signing Mills and a load of vile rejects.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 03:49:29 PM »
Asa left in 74. Would be like blaming our current woes on selling Earnshaw just before the deadline.
Bloody hell, so long ago ! mind plays tricks, you're correct Asa left 74, Cyrille arrived 77 - my mistake
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

The Stroller

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 04:36:45 PM »

I think the board were generally clueless at that time. Something of an old-school gentlemen's club of rather conservative types, who were pillars of the community in the old industrial Black Country, but who were being overtaken by the rapid changes in the Midlands economy that began in the late 70s, when heavy industry was wound down. 

It's interesting to note that Albion's decline (and that of the Wolves) shadows the running down of the Black Country economy. Seem to remember that The Wolves decline was even more severe than ours. From winning the League Cup in 1980 they were on the brink of extinction by the mid-80s, and had been bought by a couple of dodgy property developers with a mind to destroying them in order to redevelop the Molineux real estate.

From as early as '79 it appears that Albion embarked on a policy of cashing in its gems (starting with Laurie in '79) and replacing them with inferior players. Team elders eg Len Cantello, Bomber, moved on and were replaced by journeymen rather than the stellar players that had previously played. There certainly did not seem to be the same "chemistry" in the team once Cantello and Bomber moved on. It's arguable that Albion could not have afforded to buy players of the class that left the team for nothing, but as I remember it there was a lot of criticism of the board when they sold Bryan Robson and Remi Moses. The board was accused of using the proceeds to buy the Halfords Lane Stand rather than putting sufficient money back into the team. (Don't know how true that is, but that's certainly what people on the Brummie were murmuring at the time!)

In short, I think that Cyrille showed remarkable loyalty to the Albion at the time, and stayed for longer than was good for him during a period of managerial instability, and while the club started to rot around him.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 04:59:01 PM »
I think the board were generally clueless at that time. Something of an old-school gentlemen's club of rather conservative types, who were pillars of the community in the old industrial Black Country, but who were being overtaken by the rapid changes in the Midlands economy that began in the late 70s, when heavy industry was wound down. 

It's interesting to note that Albion's decline (and that of the Wolves) shadows the running down of the Black Country economy. Seem to remember that The Wolves decline was even more severe than ours. From winning the League Cup in 1980 they were on the brink of extinction by the mid-80s, and had been bought by a couple of dodgy property developers with a mind to destroying them in order to redevelop the Molineux real estate.

From as early as '79 it appears that Albion embarked on a policy of cashing in its gems (starting with Laurie in '79) and replacing them with inferior players. Team elders eg Len Cantello, Bomber, moved on and were replaced by journeymen rather than the stellar players that had previously played. There certainly did not seem to be the same "chemistry" in the team once Cantello and Bomber moved on. It's arguable that Albion could not have afforded to buy players of the class that left the team for nothing, but as I remember it there was a lot of criticism of the board when they sold Bryan Robson and Remi Moses. The board was accused of using the proceeds to buy the Halfords Lane Stand rather than putting sufficient money back into the team. (Don't know how true that is, but that's certainly what people on the Brummie were murmuring at the time!)

In short, I think that Cyrille showed remarkable loyalty to the Albion at the time, and stayed for longer than was good for him during a period of managerial instability, and while the club started to rot around him.

For a British record fee at the time, £1.5million. It was never re-invested back into the team because he was pretty much irreplaceable....later borne out by what he achieved with Man Utd and England.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 05:30:38 PM »
Its a long time ago but regarding the club being at fault for our decline is a bit unfair in my book.
The team of Laurie etc were special in every sense and most of that team would take some replacing with players of equal statue never mind better.
The club brought Mills for a British record fee and he couldn't even old down a regular spot.
Barnes for Laurie a good player but no one was as good as Laurie.
Deehan, Owen decent players but not in the same class as Bomber and Cantello.
So on and so on over the next few seasons we signed players who were inferior to those they replaced  mainly down to bad mangement rather than a fault of the clubs.
We still had good kids coming through Moses and Bennent but they left or suffered from injuries.

yorkshire baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 07:46:08 PM »
I have always held the view that Big Ron was very fortunate to inherit what had become a top side. He signed Brendan Batson but very little else of any quality. David Mills being a prime example.
When Atkinson decided to leave for Man Utd he took Robson and Moses shortly afterwards and unsettled Cyrille who was widely reported to be his next signing. It didnt happen.
At his time of leaving for Coventry his best days for us were becoming a memory.
The early days he was magnificent and those are the days when he was at his peak. For those memories, I will always be grateful.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 09:15:40 PM »
I have always held the view that Big Ron was very fortunate to inherit what had become a top side. He signed Brendan Batson but very little else of any quality. David Mills being a prime example.
When Atkinson decided to leave for Man Utd he took Robson and Moses shortly afterwards and unsettled Cyrille who was widely reported to be his next signing. It didnt happen.
At his time of leaving for Coventry his best days for us were becoming a memory.
The early days he was magnificent and those are the days when he was at his peak. For those memories, I will always be grateful.
I was thinking exactly that about Fatkinson today, what did he ever actually do. except, as you say, inherit a one-off group of players coming to the boil.  He had a bit of reputation at Cambridge maybe, but he did sweet FA at ManU, except poach Robson and Moses

The Stroller

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 10:25:19 PM »

A lot of people held this view at the time: that Atkinson got lucky and inherited a fine team built by Giles and Allen.

Atkinson's chief gifts were for PR and man-management – not inconsiderable skills when managing a high profile football team. But he was not great at recruitment, and after a couple of years his aura would diminish – players would suss him out and lose respect for him. Happened throughout his career.

However, his contribution was big. Without his swagger 78-79, and to a lesser extent 80-81, would probably not have happened.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2018, 08:22:17 AM »

Atkinson's chief gifts were for PR and man-management – not inconsiderable skills when managing a high profile football team. But he was not great at recruitment...

However, his contribution was big. Without his swagger 78-79, and to a lesser extent 80-81, would probably not have happened.

Can’t disagree with any of that however we were playing some wonderful football under Ronnie Allen, but once more the board failed to do the right thing and by giving him a proper contract and paying him what he was worth.

For me that was a pivotal moment in the my time supporting this club. As well as being an Albion man steeped in our history and tradition, Allen was a superb football man, don’t forget it was he who identified Cyrille and offered to buy him with his own money and he was instrumental in Laurie coming to Albion too.

I can’t help wonder what might have been.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:34:29 AM by Chipperfan »

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2018, 06:42:59 PM »
Used to see Cyrille on a Saturday night down the Four in Hand Pub (now a McDonalds) by Sandwell Hospital. He liked a pint but not as many as Bryan Robson. Tremendous footballer and man. Rest in Peace Cyrille.