Author Topic: Boxing Thread  (Read 269139 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Boxing Thread
« Reply #1050 on: October 10, 2021, 11:23:29 AM »
I used to work at Jaguar Landrover on a job with 2 other lads, one was called Don Broadhurst, he's from Brum and he'd be in his late 30s now i guess.

Won Commonwealth gold as an amateur in 2006 and he also won theCommonwealth title as a pro. Don't think he ever got to fight for a world title though, he said he suffered a lot of injuries in his prime and made a comeback when i was working with him in his mid 30s but he said he wasn't the same fighter anymore and would never get back to where he should be.

Shame really because it's incredible the sacrifices they make. When you see how hard they work for it and the diets they have, day after day, month after month. His farts stunk, would clear out the rest room on breaks when he was in fight preperation mode. He trained twice a day and then came in to work his shift at JLR on top of it so deserves a lot of respect.

Was also a full on Villa supporter  :-X

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1051 on: October 10, 2021, 11:40:56 AM »
It was a hell of a fight. Credit to both men showed great bravery.
Such a shame Wilder is a poor loser, just waiting now for him to come out with his excuses again.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1052 on: October 10, 2021, 11:42:05 AM »
All three judges were American which I thought was odd, good job we didn’t need them.

I think Fury will now fight Whyte whilst Joshua/Usyk/Wilder sort themselves out, but it wil make no difference as Fury can beat them all.
Have to think the pandemic is the reason behind judges nationality.  US is still not anywhere near open fir overseas travellers yet
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1053 on: October 10, 2021, 11:49:33 AM »
Have to think the pandemic is the reason behind judges nationality.  US is still not anywhere near open fir overseas travellers yet

November 1st for the UK i believe. Can't wait to go back!

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1054 on: October 10, 2021, 12:08:38 PM »
Was that fight the most times I've seen a doctor called into the ring to check on one fighter?
It's seemed to me that the doctor just asks the fighter if he's OK then that's good enough?
He should have told the ref to stop it earlier 7/8?
Wilder may have some permanent damage to him, I hope not but I reckon his corner were told by Wilder do not throw the towel in again!
I mean before the fight, because couldn't they see that there man was being beaten up?
Regardless of people saying yes but he only needs one punch to knock out Fury, trouble is he's getting smashed up while waiting
The guy had no protection from his corner Imo
A brave man but stupid

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1055 on: October 10, 2021, 12:31:24 PM »
Was that fight the most times I've seen a doctor called into the ring to check on one fighter?
It's seemed to me that the doctor just asks the fighter if he's OK then that's good enough?
He should have told the ref to stop it earlier 7/8?
Wilder may have some permanent damage to him, I hope not but I reckon his corner were told by Wilder do not throw the towel in again!
I mean before the fight, because couldn't they see that there man was being beaten up?
Regardless of people saying yes but he only needs one punch to knock out Fury, trouble is he's getting smashed up while waiting
The guy had no protection from his corner Imo
A brave man but stupid

I assume Wilder was so angry at losing last time when his corner threw the towel in that he told them not to throw it in this time no matter what. Stupid as you say. Guy cannot accept he's inferior to Fury.

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1056 on: October 10, 2021, 12:45:53 PM »
Please don't forget one of my boxing heroes at featherweight, Pat Cowell born in Smethwick
Look up his history it's very interesting, I think he lives in Oldbury
A fantastic boxer if I remember right bronze medal at Olympics, 2 or 3 ABA belts, euro champ British champ fought for World title
Brilliant boxer, not a puncher but a technician of the art

Yea I remember him , naz daho (spelling) beat him towards the in of his career.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1057 on: October 10, 2021, 01:51:08 PM »
....... Don Broadhurst, he's from Brum and...... His farts stunk......was also a full on Villa supporter  :-X

We all have our crosses to bear, Don's cross is that he's a Viler. As for his farts I imagine they reeked of fish  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1058 on: October 10, 2021, 01:57:40 PM »
Yea I remember him , naz daho (spelling) beat him towards the in of his career.

Najib Daho. Mate of mine who I used to train with in the Army had sparred with him, they were good pals for a while. Said Daho was a cracking lad but completely off his nut.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1059 on: October 10, 2021, 02:12:58 PM »
We all have our crosses to bear, Don's cross is that he's a Viler. As for his farts I imagine they reeked of fish  ;D .

And the rest mate. Honestly the worst smell i've ever encountered. He used to drink some horrible version of a cup of tea as well. OMG the worst thing i've ever tasted.

I'm sure his food was mixed veg shredded up, rice, fish and meat all in one container. Used to make me heave sitting opposite him on break.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1060 on: October 10, 2021, 02:44:14 PM »
It was a wonderfully exciting fight, great entertainment.

Thought Fury was really sluggish and sloppy though. Peak Fury does what he did in the 2nd fight. Wilder didn’t get bettter, Fury made him / allowed him to be.

I genuinely think if he performed how he did last night against Joshua, Joshua could have beat him. 

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1061 on: October 10, 2021, 02:52:22 PM »
Hey JC, you are joking right?
Joshua will never beat Fury, different class mate

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1062 on: October 10, 2021, 02:59:03 PM »
Hey JC, you are joking right?
Joshua will never beat Fury, different class mate

If both are on form, Fury beats him.

However an under par Fury can be beaten.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1063 on: October 10, 2021, 03:05:16 PM »
Joshua is too slow and a "boxer by numbers". He can't possibly outbox Fury and if Wilder can land clean on Fury and not stop him Joshua has no chance.

Fury had a bit of an interrupted camp for this third Wilder fight with the birth of his child and a bit of a worrying time, plus he had Covid and he still beat Wilder.

Best out there by a long way and Wilder beats any other heavyweight.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1064 on: October 10, 2021, 04:16:06 PM »
Like he said, best of a generation. Imagine how good he could be if he took it seriously.
I'll admit, at first, I thought he was a bit of an, all frills no knickersc, showman but he is simply the best heavyweight since Lewis.
Him and Joshua will be massive, just hope it's not too far down the line as things can change quickly and Joshua, being much fitter, has more longevity.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1065 on: October 10, 2021, 04:46:39 PM »
November 1st for the UK i believe. Can't wait to go back!

No date yet been announced. They just said November.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1066 on: October 10, 2021, 04:54:05 PM »
No date yet been announced. They just said November.

Thats gutting! I thought i saw something saying November 1st. Oh well, be there soon enough  :D

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1067 on: October 10, 2021, 05:16:09 PM »
Just seen the fight - fair play to both of them. Both took some heavy punches.

Wilder will have a sore head tomorrow morning
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1068 on: October 10, 2021, 07:05:30 PM »
Might be missing something but the talk of November above - does that relate to Fury v Joshua ??? ...hasn't Joshua just invoked the rematch clause with Usyk which would be his next fight ?...and there's talk of a potential trilogy if Joshua won that as there'd be another rematch clause.

To be clear it would be November next year at the earliest for Fury v Joshua.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1069 on: October 10, 2021, 07:06:46 PM »
Might be missing something but the talk of November above - does that relate to Fury v Joshua ??? ...hasn't Joshua just invoked the rematch clause with Usyk which would be his next fight ?...and there's talk of a potential trilogy if Joshua won that as there'd be another rematch clause.

To be clear it would be November next year at the earliest for Fury v Joshua.

November chat is referring to when USA said they would be open to letting outsiders back in. Indeed you are correct, AJ invoked his rematch clause earlier to take on Usyk in Spring 2022

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1070 on: October 10, 2021, 07:16:30 PM »
November chat is referring to when USA said they would be open to letting outsiders back in. Indeed you are correct, AJ invoked his rematch clause earlier to take on Usyk in Spring 2022
Ah thanks for the clarification - I couldn't have seen Frank Warren and Eddie Hearn agreeing details that quickly ! they'll probably struggle for Nov 2022.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1071 on: October 10, 2021, 07:17:22 PM »
Joshua is too slow and a "boxer by numbers". He can't possibly outbox Fury and if Wilder can land clean on Fury and not stop him Joshua has no chance.

Fury had a bit of an interrupted camp for this third Wilder fight with the birth of his child and a bit of a worrying time, plus he had Covid and he still beat Wilder.

Good post.

I thought Fury was a complete Championship after defeating Klitschko and instead of defending his belts, spiralling uncontrollably into drink and drugs.

But I found myself believing in him after he got himself together and embarked on what has been a truly remarkable journey. Fury is more than a champion to me now, the guys a boxing legend.

Joshua, I’m afraid, couldn’t outbox or KO Fury.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1072 on: October 10, 2021, 09:40:20 PM »

Wilder is a poor boxer, a spirited performance against Fury doesn’t change that.  In respect of catching Fury clean, he didn’t hit Fury with anything across the three fights that Joshua couldn’t. He never caught Fury clean with any real haymakers.

Fury is the best there is, but Fury Joshua isn’t a foregone conclusion.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1073 on: October 10, 2021, 10:30:46 PM »
Wilder is a poor boxer, a spirited performance against Fury doesn’t change that.  In respect of catching Fury clean, he didn’t hit Fury with anything across the three fights that Joshua couldn’t. He never caught Fury clean with any real haymakers.

Yes I agree - as is said many times around boxing, styles make fights. Joshua can throw good combinations which I don't think Wilder can BUT Joshua's got to get back to a style he's happy with and which suits him.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1074 on: October 11, 2021, 03:58:02 AM »

I could be wrong but I’m less convinced by Joshua’s punch power, I do have my doubts that he would find the punches that Wilder found in fights 1 and 3 vs Fury.

In his last 6 fights, Joshua has failed to knock down his opponent in half of them, while in one of those he did (the first Ruiz fight), he scored 1 knock down to 4 against. Contrast that to Wilder who has knocked down his opponent in 43 of his 45 fights and who managed to floor Fury 4 times across 2 of their fights.

I think there is a strong case to say Wilder is the best head hunter at Heavyweight, while Joshua seems to have had his big punching coached out of him in the last few years as attempts have been made to adapt him for the top fighters. In that sense, I would expect a Fury v Joshua fight to end with a Fury UD and no knock downs for Joshua, while a Wilder v Joshua fight feels almost certain to end in Joshua hitting the canvas atleast once and probably needing to hang on for a points victory.

Uysk vs Wilder is probably the fight I’d find most intriguing at heavyweight level now as I’ve no idea how that would end.
Boing Boing