Author Topic: Valérien Ismaël leaves WBA  (Read 464000 times)

koren

• Senior Baggie

Re: Valérien Ismaël - Head Coach
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2021, 05:02:28 PM »
Welcome Valerian!

4 years deal...Seems the board have a long term plan this time.
The PRIDE of midlands

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2021, 05:03:15 PM »
Exciting appointment and well worded statement. I’m optimistic for the season ahead, which is far more than I could say a month ago, or even a week ago.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2021, 05:05:21 PM »
Four year deal that is a long term commitment. We now looking like it is Ken and Val show for the foreseeable future. Looks like the DOF role will be split up among CEO Head Coach Head of Recruitment and Head of Academy at first glance.

Yes, I'd say they're adopting a flatter management structure. Good to see the owners are taking a longer term view in building a more robust football club, that will be more attractive to a buyer.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2021, 05:08:16 PM »
Athletic have put up an article about him just. They spoke to various people who have worked with him.

To summarize:

Very strong leadership qualities, you would ride into battle for him.

Commands respect. CLear in what he wants and expects.

Understands the game very well from playing days as well as young managerial career.

Plays to his squads strength while pressing and passing

Then the usual about making it unpleasant for anyone to play his teams

Also says will demand a lot from Ken, won't accept complacency from him.

Sounds good to me.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2021, 05:11:30 PM »
Welcome to the Albion Valerian and good luck!

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2021, 05:11:36 PM »
Welcome Valérien, a positive appointment by the sounds of it and what I have researched so far.

Good words from the statement which are the things we want to hear. Lets hope we take the actions to back it up.

Think it's very importnat to get new players in asap so they can learn the tactics. For too long we have waited until end of the window to sign players that need 3/4 weeks to get up to speed.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2021, 05:17:16 PM »
Welcome to the new chap whoever he is I've never heard of him which isn't necessarily a bad thing better than the constant manager merry go round, here's hoping.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2021, 05:19:07 PM »
Delighted we have a new manager and look as if we are going to try and give him the tools to do the job.
Really pleased with the appointment and the fact that the board seem to be looking forward.
Anybody know if he's bought his own back room staff with him?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2021, 05:21:39 PM »
Oh yeah Athletic  article also said in true Albion style we tried to get him cheaper than the £2m clause and Barnsley generously offered to let us pay £250k of the £2m on finance which we declined.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2021, 05:30:06 PM »
Welcome to Valerien.
I was pleased when we appointed Bilic, a shame for whatever reasons it didn't work out!
I wanted something different to what was on offer on the management roundabout, some of the available options were disappointing to say the least.
We've got something different, the guys got a 4 year contract. We all recognise there is a lot of work to do, let's get behind Valerien and the team and see where we go. A long term plan is needed let's give this guy a chance!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 05:34:09 PM by elmo_in_swansea »
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Baltic

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2021, 05:31:37 PM »
As one of the 17, I'm delighted he's finally joined us.  It seems through pure luck and no little incompetence we've ended up with a very positive appointment and a genuine feel good factor. 

Wilder no doubt would have done a good job, but he would have been expensive and probably in conflict with the board over funds.  At least now we have made a real commitment to Valerien and therefore he has more time and a great opportunity to enhance his career with us.

It feels to me like the early Megson days.  We've under performed last year and the new guy is not going to take any prisoners.  At last we'll have the fittest team and will still be fighting in injury time instead if caving in.
However, our squad is still threadbare so patience is required, but overall I'm really excited to see what he does.

Welcome Ishmael

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2021, 05:32:11 PM »
Athletic have put up an article about him just. They spoke to various people who have worked with him.

To summarize:

Very strong leadership qualities, you would ride into battle for him.

Commands respect. CLear in what he wants and expects.

Understands the game very well from playing days as well as young managerial career.

Plays to his squads strength while pressing and passing

Then the usual about making it unpleasant for anyone to play his teams

Also says will demand a lot from Ken, won't accept complacency from him.

Sounds good to me.
Sounds good to me too. We could do with more dynamism and drive around the place on the playing side, and it looks like we're going to have that in spades. Excellent!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2021, 05:35:00 PM »
Sounds good to me too. We could do with more dynamism and drive around the place on the playing side, and it looks like we're going to have that in spades. Excellent!

Indeed mate. I think some have had it far too easy at our club for too long. With the departure of Dowling this is the fresh slate the club/we needed.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2021, 05:35:17 PM »
N.B. (to some) his name is "Valerien" (Valérien to be exact) and not "Valerian" (which is a herb)!  :D

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2021, 05:40:06 PM »
I’m a little on the fence because I know so little about him, but I’m far happier than I thought I would be. Some of the options were horrendous.

It’s good to see hear Ken talk about the future I hope it’s not just What we want to hear. The comment on short term decisions seems an obvious dig at Dowling. I also wouldn’t read to much in to a four year deal either. I’d be amazed if there isn’t a clause which means if we are outside the play offs in the championship the deal he can be paid off for a set amount. On the flip side I imagine if a prem club wants him they can take him for a set amount so swings and roundabouts.

Interesting weeks ahead. I expect Mowatt to sign next.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2021, 05:42:45 PM »
Wow 4 year contract, our Ken means business, glad to hear of an actual plan that seems to be about to take place.
I like the sound of him and his ideas
I feel positive about this and welcome Val to the Hawthorns, good luck mate.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2021, 05:48:26 PM »
To do list:
1) Offer Perreira a ridiculous promotion bonus to stay

2) Tell Sawyers to lose the chewing gum or find another club

3) Get 3 or 4 decent midfielders in

It's either going to be brilliant or complete disaster, can't see this being a boring season

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2021, 05:49:49 PM »
Oh yeah Athletic  article also said in true Albion style we tried to get him cheaper than the £2m clause and Barnsley generously offered to let us pay £250k of the £2m on finance which we declined.
Not wanting to sound negative, but if someone did try to poach him before the 4 years, they would have to pay us compensation, but if we sacked him, we'd have to pay him off for the years on his contract?
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2021, 05:53:04 PM »
Interesting weeks ahead. I expect Mowatt to sign next.
Mowatt should really be a no-brainer given our existing central midfield "options", and he's aged 26 rather than being over the hill. Let's get him in before someone else signs him - I'm sure Valérien has said as much to Ken!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2021, 05:55:02 PM »
Not wanting to sound negative, but if someone did try to poach him before the 4 years, they would have to pay us compensation, but if we sacked him, we'd have to pay him off for the years on his contract?

I'd say you are right Alex. We will have set a release clause in his contract i imagine. If we sack him then we got years of wages to cover.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2021, 05:55:34 PM »
Just read the bbc news article and Valérien sounds like a man with a plan. After all the positive noises from Ken I hope that he and the board have the courage to back him, even when it gets a bit rough

I am ok with this appointment, left field but interesting, and what we need to be honest
MAGA!

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2021, 05:56:09 PM »
I wonder if Ken has mentioned he is just about to sell his two best players yet?
Gera, Gera, Gera

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2021, 05:56:13 PM »
To do list:
1) Offer Perreira a ridiculous promotion bonus to stay

2) Tell Sawyers to lose the chewing gum or find another club

3) Get 3 or 4 decent midfielders in

It's either going to be brilliant or complete disaster, can't see this being a boring season

Yes. This is his definitely a very high priority. He's bound to know that anyway so I'm talking like a pillock. Anyway, welcome Valerien! I'm really looking forward to a new dawn and finally banishing the awful Pulis era and the affect its had on our reputation and the divisions within the fan base. Happy Baggie!!

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2021, 05:56:17 PM »
I’m pleased they’ve made a decision. I’ve no idea whether I’m delighted or not because I haven’t a clue whether he’ll be any good.

I do think he has a massive task on his hands. A club that the owners don’t want, and a team that IMO is miles short of being promotion contenders with weaknesses right through the spine front to back.

Good luck mate. You’ll need it.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2021, 05:57:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1408091062170787846

An interview he gave last month but I can't see it all, anyone with a Times account ?

Here's some of it:

"Ismaël draws from many of the managers he played for. “Felix Magath was fearless,” he says of his former Bayern coach. “Ottmar Hitzfeld had this feeling for the group [at Bayern]. Thomas Schaaf at Werder Bremen always gave players the feeling they were the best of the world in their position. There are influences but I have found my own way with my own mentality.”

His players love him. “Because I am real. I was a player, so I understand everything going on in the head of the player. If they are ready to follow my way, I give everything for the player. The first rule is intensity. Without intensity we are average. Intensity to work as a swarm altogether. If one slips we’re all dead. We attack altogether, we defend altogether.

“I create a work ethic for the guys and they push each other. They recognise straight away when a player didn’t run, they’ll say, ‘You have to run.’ They started to develop wining [Oops! Times - dear, dear] mentality.

“They are privileged to be a footballer and they have to respect that. They can reach something great but you have to stay focused for the young player. I say to them, ‘You have to discover your greatness with your responsibility to your performances.’

They are a band of young brothers on a mission, the likes of the emerging Jasper Moon (20), Callum Styles (21), Toby Sibbick (21), Mads Andersen (23), Callum Brittain (23) and Conor Chaplin (24), alongside more experienced players such as Cauley Woodrow (26). “The youngest team in the league, average 23 years old. Unbelievable,” Ismaël says. “The team spirit is incredible. Without that mentality you can’t reach the play-offs in the Championship."

Bienvenue Valerien
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes