West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: 28 Nov 2012 Swansea 3 Albion 1  (Read 25636 times)

Offline Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie
Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #275 on: November 28, 2012, 09:57:39 PM »
what the hell was that a no show performance by the lads and the coach tonight, stood of a passing team we let them play like barca  . this game was made for shane he would of hounded that back four of swansea no prob, scratching my head about no changes after that first half performance

Your going to have bad games, and from the sheer tired performance I saw I'd say it's a tactical defeat, no point pushing for a draw we don't necessarily need and risk hurting one of our players when we have a better chance to regain the points and then some at home, where we have generally been stronger.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:58:01 PM by Quakes Fan »

Offline baggie-boy-ethan

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #276 on: November 28, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Credit to Swansea, we were beat by the better team today. Hope we don't use the travelling as an excuse because they simply wanted it more on the day.

Odemwingie was really poor, cost us 2 goals by simply watching their left-back run past him and overlap for the assists, but Clarke must know that's a risk when he plays Pete on the right away from home on a cold Swansea night! I thought Brunt was also very very wasteful and gave the ball away far too often when the pass was simple, the game passed Mozza by, and for someone so big Lukaku needs to be holding the ball up better for me.

Still 4th, give me 8 hours sleep and I'll soon get over it, onto the next one!

Offline Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #277 on: November 28, 2012, 09:58:10 PM »
Well beaten by a very slick side, have to say i think we turned up a bit too laid back and got punished.Odemwingie  was fast asleep too many times when playing out wide and Brunt wasn't much better on the other side, you simply don't let fullbacks run past you and not go back with them and neither Pete or Brunt can have any complaints if they are left out against Stoke at the weekend.
Lukaku had a half decent game and it's a shame he got little supply,i think this game shows just how important Long is for this side and after the switch of system i would have liked to have seen Lukaku/Long as a pairing rather than the woeful Odemwingie as much as i am a fan of the Nigerian.
Overall sloppy and under par describes tonight's performance for me,maybe Clarke got the shape wrong?
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Offline dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #278 on: November 28, 2012, 09:59:59 PM »
Well, credit to Swansea, they exploited our weaknesses brilliantly in the first half.  We gave them way too much time and space and they played around our core box of Yacob, Mulumbu, Olsson and McAuley and turned us where we are weaker. Billy Jones struggles so much with his positioning and there is always so much space to exploit on his flank. Brunt is a bit cumbersome and can be turned/played around and PO heart is more in the offensive side of the game.

The most disappointing thing is that we looked exactly as poor as last year in this fixture, exactly the thing I didn't want to see.

Take it you're not a Billy Jones fan then, being as you've criticised him in nearly every post, no mention of the way he was left constantly over exposed by Peter Odemwingie's lack of any responsibility, only time he got any cover was when Mozza went out to the right when we switched to 442-4411 in the second half.

I don't think he was anywhere near our worst performer tonight but sometimes people have to have a scapegoat.
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

Offline paulosull

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #279 on: November 28, 2012, 10:00:16 PM »
 >:( dont get this no subs, after being out played due to our lot letting barca sorry swansea play to their strenghts clarke has to shoulder a fair share of the blame for this awful display tonight. brunt was s**** tonight where was gera and long ?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:11:39 AM by Quakes Fan »

Offline George47

• WBA Newbie
« Reply #280 on: November 28, 2012, 10:01:18 PM »
Only two goals down at half time, if we really want to kick on we cannot give up on games, should have made changes and give it a go, 3 forwards on bench but accepted defeat, cannot understand it ?

Offline DaveWBA

• WBA Coach
« Reply #281 on: November 28, 2012, 10:02:12 PM »
That. Was. Chyte.

Odemwingie, McCauley, Brunt, Morrison, Yacob all totally naff tonight.

Offline GrGr

• WBA Coach
« Reply #282 on: November 28, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »
Too many didn't turn up, very galling having done the four and a half hour trip, need a very big response on Saturday. Aside from Odemwingie they were all very poor. Especially bad were Jones, McCauley and Morrison. Very disappointed how easy we were to beat.

I thought Odemwingie got a bit of 'I'll do it myself' syndrome when the team wasn't clicking.

Mozza was very, very poor. Our offensive game fell apart with his no show. We had no connection whatsoever.

Jones is not, and will never be, the answer at right back, he just is too weak defensively. Weak in the air, weak one on one, but his main problem is positioning. 

Offline Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #283 on: November 28, 2012, 10:05:25 PM »
Too many didn't turn up, very galling having done the four and a half hour trip, need a very big response on Saturday. Aside from Odemwingie they were all very poor. Especially bad were Jones, McCauley and Morrison. Very disappointed how easy we were to beat.
Like you I'm an Odemwingie fan but he was poor tonight, he was at fault for the third goal and possibly another.I'm just not convinced we can afford to play him wide away from home at this level.Too many times he was slow to track back or lost the ball out wide,by no means on his own but as i say he was poor tonight IMO.

Offline wbako

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #284 on: November 28, 2012, 10:08:37 PM »
Congratulations go to Chris Brunt for turning in one of the most inept performances I've ever had the misfortune of watching; he was utterly pathetic.

We are obviously having an absolutely fantastic season, but taking that display in isolation: it was gash, utter gash.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #285 on: November 28, 2012, 10:09:54 PM »
Like you I'm an Odemwingie fan but he was poor tonight, he was at fault for the third goal and possibly another.I'm just not convinced we can afford to play him wide away from home at this level.Too many times he was slow to track back or lost the ball out wide,by no means on his own but as i say he was poor tonight IMO.

Only player to offer us anything going forward the rest were embarrassingly static. By far man of the match in albeit a woeful performance.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Offline GrGr

• WBA Coach
« Reply #286 on: November 28, 2012, 10:10:40 PM »
Take it you're not a Billy Jones fan then, being as you've criticised him in nearly every post, no mention of the way he was left constantly over exposed by Peter Odemwingie's lack of any responsibility, only time he got any cover was when Mozza went out to the right when we switched to 442-4411 in the second half.

I don't think he was anywhere near our worst performer tonight but sometimes people have to have a scapegoat.

I did point out that PO and Brunt are not the strongest defensively, which is why our full backs got under pressure, I also said that Swansea were very good at exploiting these weaknesses. But this is not about scapegoating.

I'm just tired of seeing Jones constantly, game in and game out, being out of position. Game in and game out we are soft as cheese on our right and we are leaking goals as a consequence (Wigan, Chelsea, today etc). Blaming Odemwingie for Jones' shortcomings is getting old hat. Ridgewell struggled on the other flank too but he isn't nearly as easy to beat one on one and he covers his post much better.

Jones gets sucked too far into the pitch, he is practically playing in McAuley's lap much of the time and our opponents can just destroy us on the right. Swansea knew this and used that weakness to perfection, credit to them.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:16:08 PM by GrGr »

Offline Topman

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #287 on: November 28, 2012, 10:12:58 PM »
Lets not go over board. it sounded a tired poor performance and a reminder that we are not a top 4 side. This was always bound to happen at some time. I really hope clark though stops playing POW out wide especially away from home. Its not his natural position and I feel it leaves us open. I think it is a further reminded that bringing one or two in jan would not be a bad idea Mr Peace.

Offline wbako

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #288 on: November 28, 2012, 10:15:26 PM »
I did point out that PO and Brunt are not the strongest defensively, which is why our full backs got under pressure, I also said that Swansea were very good at exploiting these weaknesses. But this is not about scapegoating.

I'm just tired of seeing Jones constantly, game in and game out, being out of position. Game in and game out we are soft as cheese on our right and we are leaking goals as a consequence (Wigan, Chelsea, today etc). Blaming Odemwingie for Jones' shortcomings is getting old hat. Ridgewell struggled on the other flank too but he isn't nearly as easy to beat one on one and he covers his post much better.

Jones gets sucked too far into the pitch, he is practically playing in McAuley's lap much of the time and our opponents can just destroy us on the right.

Very solid analysis of Billy Jones. He was all over the gaff tonight.

Offline crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #289 on: November 28, 2012, 10:18:35 PM »
i just hope we dont get too complacent being in the top 4 and all. we had an off day, its been demanding recently with 2 lengthy trips on the road and i had this one down as a real tough fixture if im honest. i thought sunderland would be tough aswell but we cut the mustard against them. we just have to pick up, move on, and put in a show against 'orrible stoke on saturday. all will be forgiven instantly if that happens, but for tonight im not overly disappointed we've lost. it happens, 4 wins on the bounce was a fantastic achievement for our club, but we can't get too billy big boots, as we will have these days. anyone away from the moneybags top 2 manc clubs will know this too well. we have winnable fixtures in the next few weeks, lets start another run off with a win against stoke :)
Albion till i die, blue and white, the wolves are most definitely S***e!

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #290 on: November 28, 2012, 10:20:03 PM »
Lets not go over board. it sounded a tired poor performance and a reminder that we are not a top 4 side. This was always bound to happen at some time. I really hope clark though stops playing POW out wide especially away from home. Its not his natural position and I feel it leaves us open. I think it is a further reminded that bringing one or two in jan would not be a bad idea Mr Peace.

Can't say I'm even slightly bothered how it sounded... Saw it with my own eyes... Odemwingie is certainly not the problem. Was just a very poor performance. When your best players don't perform (Morrison, McAuley, Olsson, Yacob, Brunt) you've got no chance. Tiredness is definitely no excuse in the fourteenth game of the season.

Offline Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #291 on: November 28, 2012, 10:20:34 PM »
Only player to offer us anything going forward the rest were embarrassingly static. By far man of the match in albeit a woeful performance.
I don't remember him offering much going forward, what little he did was undone by some very poor and lazy defending that cost us one maybe two goals.Great player for us but he had a stinker tonight in fact both wide players did, i don't agree when i see people call Brunt lazy but he didn't do himself any favours tonight.Im not saying they were alone in this but all the damage was done down the flanks.

Offline GrGr

• WBA Coach
« Reply #292 on: November 28, 2012, 10:22:40 PM »
Very solid analysis of Billy Jones. He was all over the gaff tonight.

Swansea had scouted us well. The first goal was no fluke at all but a master class in tactics. They pulled us to the left, then floated a ball over the top to the far post. They had seen that ball from Sunderland and Chelsea and know that area is weak in our defense. That's why I am annoyed.

Offline wimbledon baggie

• Junior Baggie
No subs used against Swansea?? Whats that about?
« Reply #293 on: November 28, 2012, 10:25:08 PM »
Sounds like we were well and truly turned over. But why no subs? No Long second half. Lukaku left upfront all game.

Was this a case of Clarke 'throwing away a match' to show that Lukaku is not good enough to lead the line, therefore Chelsea wont want him? And also to tone down some of the hysteria that is building around the club?

Dunno. Was it just a game too far with all that has happened last few weeks? Bit weird.

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #294 on: November 28, 2012, 10:25:48 PM »
You can't blame the wide midfielders for crosses Yr going in the box and centre backs not marking up. Jones wasn't exposed he was just caught bally out of position and then let down by his fellow defenders in the middle.

Offline boing_boing68

• WBA Coach
« Reply #295 on: November 28, 2012, 10:26:40 PM »
I can see why he didn't bring Long on tonight, no real point in bringing a player on who isn't fully fit when we are 3-1 down at half time, might aswell have him fully fit for Saturday.

At leas no other team really picked up points and we are still 4th
Baggie Terra

Offline Albion79

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #296 on: November 28, 2012, 10:28:39 PM »
We have took the plaudits when we have won so we have to take the knocks when we lose, tonight we were awful start to finish, it happens, wont lose too much sleep (yet!) we were were s***e against Fulham and bounced back.

I always felt tonight would be one of the toughest games of the season, Swansea were the best side we have faced so far, they got 2 early goals and played with such confidence and swagger and with the exception of 10 mins start 2nd half when we went at them (which was always going to happen) they dominated the game. We were awful but credit to them because they played some great football.

As i say i sadly thought we would lost the run tonight, but 4th in the league going into December i cant think of many who would turn that down, if we have one crap match every 7-8 games we wont be too disappointed!

On the negatives, the sad thing is tonight i would be hard pushed for out man of the match such was Swanseas dominance, i would probably give it Mulumbu purely based on the fact he was involved more than anyone else, he didnt do anything and gave the ball away but at least you knew he was on the pitch.

Myhill i thought couldnt really be blamed, 3rd goal was hit so hard dont think he could do much, McAuley and Olsson just never got to grips with the game and looked a shadow of their normal selves. Ridgewell and Jones were awful but to be fair to them, they were playing crap anyway but the people in front of them did not help.

Yacob the game bypassed him but its one of the only times its happened, Morrison the same, my concern is Brunt. I think he is a good squad player and very handy to put on to see a game out like he did against Southampton, but i thought it Saturday and more so tonight, we are a fast attacking team and although he can have a great pass on him i think he slows down our play and just think we look a worse team when he starts. Lukaku i thought showed why he is an impact player, he had awful service but when he did have it he just gave it straight back, it was crying out for a Long or Fortune up there to keep the ball and take the pressure off and his workrate compared to those two is nowhere near, however 2nd half he was better but for a 30 minute runout at the end he is brilliant, but to start with the way we play i am not sure, to be fair though he scored with his only real chance. Odemwingie was the exact opposite to Chelsea, that day everything he did went right, everything tonight went wrong!

I think after 65-70 minutes Clarke had pretty much put the game down to a bad day at the office and thats why he didnt make any subs, just let them max themselves out and i expect saturday probably no Brunt, Odemwingie or Lukaku, possibly a full back change too.

As stated, was just a bad day at the office, we will have a few more between now and the end of the season but still delighted to be a albion fan right now!

Offline WBASPE77

• WBA Manager
Re: No subs used against Swansea?? Whats that about?
« Reply #297 on: November 28, 2012, 10:29:31 PM »
Very suprised we didnt have any subs as I thoight this was a perfect time to through Rosenbrugh for 30 minutes see what he can do.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Offline WBASPE77

• WBA Manager
« Reply #298 on: November 28, 2012, 10:30:31 PM »
Dissapointed about tonight, only plus was that Lakaku scored. Bring on Stoke.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Offline wbako

• Senior Baggie
Re: No subs used against Swansea?? Whats that about?
« Reply #299 on: November 28, 2012, 10:30:57 PM »
Very strange one. There was no impetus all match, be that from the players or management staff...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:37:53 PM by wbako »