Author Topic: Anyone Else Concerned?  (Read 12052 times)

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

Re: Anyone Else Concerned?
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2013, 09:33:28 PM »
If after 22 games someone had said you will only be 1 point behind Arsenal would you have a) believed them or b) believed it possible. I would say 99% of us would have said no way. Yes if we had won on Saturday we would have been above them, and yes it is a concern we are conceding late goals (just think if we hadn't conceded against man city, Newcastle and reading we would be challenging spurs for 4th????????) but I just look at where we are now .......7th and 1 point behind arsenal - enjoy the good times we are punching way above our weight.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2013, 11:06:56 PM »
My concern is that conceding late goals is often an indication that the "coaching" side of thing is slipping.

Especially fitness coaching which also includes Mental fitness...

On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

baggie-boy-ethan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
I'm not worried at all, for 80 minutes we looked close to the team from earlier this year. It might have been down to the quality of opposition but our teams only going to get better as our first 11 gets back to fitness. If the back 4 had Yacob and Mulumbu protecting them instead of a tired Brunt and inexperienced Thorne I don't think we'd be talking about conceding late goals being an issue.

We're hanging onto 7th and I never dreamed I'd be saying  that in January,and if we can continue to hang onto it until Yacob,Popov,Pete and Mulumbu are back starting every game again I'm sure we'll soon forget about this stage of the season and enjoy ourselves again

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2013, 12:27:58 PM »
More concerned with the fact that weve only won two of our last 10 games, that's relegation form.
totally agree and only two of those games were against the top sides Arsenal and Man Utd we should have got more than 7 points from the last 9 league games that is relegation form.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2013, 10:44:25 PM »
Just a teeny weeny bit
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2013, 10:48:27 PM »
I wasnt but I'm beginning to be, too many similarities between RDM and Clarke, start well but fade badly.

I hope with all my being we can turn this around, starting saturday !! I hate walking up towards the motorway after we've lost as the people are almost silent but when we win the crowd is buzzing and talking.

I HATE LOSING, especially to them !!
He's a lad from the Wrenna

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2013, 10:54:20 PM »
Still not too concerned but I think if we put in a poor performance Saturday and lose (as I think we will) then I might start thinking differently.

We need to decide on a settled side where possible and hope we can get Yacob back asap and that DR Congo get knocked out of the African Nations early on to get Mulumbu back, get a settled back five with Popov in at left back and Pete wide right, Brunt left and Lukaku or Long up top and try to play as we did the start of the season instead of hoofing it as we seemt to do more of lately.

The tinkering is not helping although injuries have been part of the reason for it, but not the sole reason. Maybe a couple of fresh faces in could help liven things up. We are in danger of letting all the early season good work go to waste.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2013, 11:02:37 PM »
Still not too concerned but I think if we put in a poor performance Saturday and lose (as I think we will) then I might start thinking differently.

We need to decide on a settled side where possible and hope we can get Yacob back asap and that DR Congo get knocked out of the African Nations early on to get Mulumbu back, get a settled back five with Popov in at left back and Pete wide right, Brunt left and Lukaku or Long up top and try to play as we did the start of the season instead of hoofing it as we seemt to do more of lately.

The tinkering is not helping although injuries have been part of the reason for it, but not the sole reason. Maybe a couple of fresh faces in could help liven things up. We are in danger of letting all the early season good work go to waste.

The hoofing you mention for me, is purely because of two reasons.

1). There is a lack of movement in the mid-field and forward areas meaning our two centre halves and Ridgewell resort to long aimless punts down the channel in hope that Lukaku and Long can weave some magic.

2). When we try playing the ball along the floor we end up giving it away cheaply which has been a common problem in the majority of our matches this season. I've mentioned it before, any manager worth their salt shall realise that pressing up against our mid-field shall lead to a bucket load of mistakes when we have possession, if not that, the eventual hoof which again is giving away possession - all so predictable.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:05:27 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2013, 11:09:25 PM »
The hoofing you mention for me, is purely because of two reasons.

1). There is a lack of movement in the mid-field and forward areas meaning our two centre halves and Ridgewell resort to long aimless punts down the channel in hope that Lukaku and Long can weave some magic.

2). When we try playing the ball along the floor we end up giving it away cheaply which has been a common problem in the majority of our matches this season. I've mentioned it before, any manager worth their salt shall realise that pressing up against our mid-field shall lead to a bucket load of mistakes when we have possession, if not that, the eventual hoof which again is giving away possession - all so predictable.

We played the ball on the ground well enough at Reading, it can be done to good effect as we did early in the season before our passing became very sloppy as it has been for a period of time now.

Theres a difference between a long pass and a hoof, unfortunately we choose the latter.

Jonah

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2013, 11:10:26 PM »
I will be concerned if we lose to the worst Villa team in 25 years. I expect that Clarke will make wholesale changes on Saturday. Hopefully as reported in the local paper Yacob will be back. We have really missed him.

Expect Villa to sit deep and frustrate the Baggies, (just like Lambert did with Norwich last season).
I hope the crowd do not get on the players backs early.
Proud To Be A Baggie.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2013, 11:15:50 PM »
Yes.

I know we're world's apart, but for me the principle is the same:

If Fergie is worried about Utd going a goal behind in a lot of their games and they're winning, I would definitely be concerned about losing so many late goals and coming out with nothing.

maximus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2013, 11:17:28 PM »
Aren't we on ESPN aswell? Im going to the game but hate us on tv, We ever won on ESPN?..Massive game and Villa look great one week awfull the next 3 weeks, But then our form is shocking so let's hope they have 1 eye on Bradford week after.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:29:06 PM by maximus »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2013, 11:20:50 PM »
We played the ball on the ground well enough at Reading, it can be done to good effect as we did early in the season before our passing became very sloppy as it has been for a period of time now.

Theres a difference between a long pass and a hoof, unfortunately we choose the latter.

There are occasions where it looks OK don't get me wrong, but for me, I think those occasions have been few and far between this season which has been disappointing because that was the improvement I was hoping Steve Clarke would make on the Hodgson era, or certainly placing greater focus on ball retention. Our sloppiness in possession is even more annoying when you consider we have some very talented footballers within the squad.

The other concern I have is our ability to break teams down.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2013, 11:39:15 PM »
Concerned - No, Bored and bit downbeat - Yes.

We will be okay this season, but to me our season finished tonight. We appear to of given up on a european push in the league, i think a lot of the players feel the seasons aim of staying up (which is usually banded about as our seasons aim) is now complete and i just dont see the same desire and passion to win games anymore, going through the motions. The manager also has to take some of the blame as we make at least 5-6 changes a game and its a lottery who plays.

As i say our seasons aim was to stay up and so its job done, as a club where we are is great, never had it so good, etc, etc but as a fan i just think there is 5 months left of the season and after the local derby saturday, what we got to look forward too? If you are challening for promotion, fighting relegation, pushing for play offs or european places then its something to look forward too, as we are its just a bit of playing out the fixtures.

To me its all thats bad with football that finishing 7th in a league they cannot win is deemed more important than winning a cup, i have always said it, i would love us to win something and if it means finishing 17th or getting relegated so be it, at the moment we are playing in a league we cannot win. I said in previous posts years and years ago, the general opinion was the aim was always for us to become a midtable premiership side, great, but where do you go from there? Midtable clubs gates tend to fall because they arent playing for anything and my fear is thats how we will end up, what is there to look forward to achievement wise for us this season? No days out at wembley, excitement, tension and build up, or medals handed out for us to finish 7th in the league.

The way the season started, i knew we wouldnt finish top 4 but certainly felt we could go for top 6, as the premiership has got worse and we have got better, but also thought we had targeted the cups, yet we have played 3 matches in total in the cups this season and lost 2! So that early season excitement to me has gone, if the players really believed and had the desire i think they could push for top 6, but i dont think they or maybe the manager want it, as a fan i do but i cannot control what happens on the pitch, so i think for me our season is now done.

The above probably comes across depressing and i hope in may i can say i was completely wrong but sadly i think we will be talking about a 9-11th place finish and no excitement to the season end.

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2013, 11:42:24 PM »
Just think, IF we lose to Vile on saturday ( GOD KNOWS i HOPE i'M WRONG ), that'll be 3 teams who were in the bottom 3 when we played them ON THE TROT who we've lost to.

And if thats not a cause for concern..........I dont know what is !!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:57:56 AM by Greenock Baggie »
He's a lad from the Wrenna

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2013, 12:32:14 PM »
I'm still relatively relaxed about our position due to the injuries we have suffered and there isn't much you can do about individual errors costing us as Ridgewell, Olsson and now Myhill have the last couple of games.

I am a little concerned though especially after last night, the coaching staff talked up the cup before the game and then we had to sit there watching a match that had the same tempo as a very early pre-season friendly, we didn't seem to want it at all. After the last 8 minutes at Reading the game in the cup was a great opportunity to go out there and make a point, get back to winning ways and get some confidence back ahead of the Villa game.

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2013, 12:35:21 PM »
Nope....just life as a Baggies Fan....watched since 1965 and nothing has really changed.....drive you mad one minute but then have you feeling 10 feet tall the next....

Its life as a true football fan and not a Glory Hunter.........

BOING BOING.................

BRANDHALL_REGGIE

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2013, 01:14:39 PM »
We'll nothing to be concerned about, been watching The Albion for 30 years and have seen ups and a lot of downs!! we have a a cracking start to the season far to good in my opinion but we can't be bloody everybody we play week in week out lets be real about it.

One of the things that's getting on my wick at the moment is these fans calling for Clarke's head to roll already these people are either to young and haven't been around in the bad years this blokes been in this job for a very short time and still is learning is trade as a Manager we have got to be patient and supportive there are alot poorer teams in this league and are managed by lads who have more experience so lets see what happens.

That's my pennies worth and people are entitled to theres

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2013, 10:13:17 PM »
Concerned, a little bit.

Pi$$ed off. Absolutely.

So much for a cup run.
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2013, 03:57:56 AM »
totally agree and only two of those games were against the top sides Arsenal and Man Utd we should have got more than 7 points from the last 9 league games that is relegation form.

yep - reminds me of when we beat Everton and newc after a mini bad run under rdm and everyone thought everything was Ok again - only to see us then go 10 games with hardly a point

AND  those wins were only via a wonder goal (Norwich) and a goal that the entire world said should never have been given (QPR) - take those wins out and you are looking at one of the worst runs in premiership history -

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2013, 01:52:44 PM »
yep - reminds me of when we beat Everton and newc after a mini bad run under rdm and everyone thought everything was Ok again - only to see us then go 10 games with hardly a point

AND  those wins were only via a wonder goal (Norwich) and a goal that the entire world said should never have been given (QPR) - take those wins out and you are looking at one of the worst runs in premiership history -

The Stoke game should have been a draw, we had some poor penalty decsions at Arsenal, I felt that we derserved to win at QPR.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
Sidetracking for a minute, I was surprised that quite  a few pundits thought it was allowed to be a goal and I personally agreed. Green was looking too much for the goalie's get out of jail card.
He should not have A: Taken up a position about one and a half metres inside his own goal allowing Fortuné to take and stand his ground right on the goal line and B: flapped the ball back towards the goal rather than pushing it away and hoping a defender would hook it away for him.

On the general consensus, yes our run of form has been very poor since that Swansea game. Felt that Reading was going to be our turning point - but it could well be in the wrong direction. Thought we performed efficiently and were comfortable for 80 minutes only to completely implode in the final 10.

Hoping that with a fit Yacob, Mulumbu and Olsson and McAuley in defence, we can be more solid and start developing more of a tempo from the back.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2013, 03:40:38 PM »

Hahaha what a pointless fact, how can you take them goals out of it?? If that was the case you could say if we didnt hit the post as many times as we have, we would have beaten Fulham and Reading comfortably and if Rob Green didnt have a wordly we would also have been in the next round of the FA cup too!! We are where we are over the course of the season and deserve to be there, FACT!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten