Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 230207 times)

gazberg

• Senior Baggie

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #1525 on: February 03, 2020, 07:45:28 PM »
Winning 1-0 at Villa, Clayton-PHillips.  No Louie Barry for Villa, surprise surprise.

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1526 on: February 03, 2020, 08:20:14 PM »
Winning 1-0 at Villa, Clayton-PHillips.  No Louie Barry for Villa, surprise surprise.
Barry on England duty apparently
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

gazberg

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1527 on: February 03, 2020, 08:59:04 PM »
Barry on England duty apparently

Fair enough, well he will be glad he is because it's FT and 1-0 to us.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1528 on: February 03, 2020, 09:13:03 PM »
We won 0-1   ;D
My posts are my personal views and any links or external inclusions are not necessarily an endorsement by me.
I'm an ordinary bloke with no hidden agenda, here just to enjoy all things Albion etc.

It's all about opinions, so don't shoot the messenger if he/she has a different view to you!

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1529 on: February 04, 2020, 04:14:06 AM »
We won 0-1   ;D
Great stuff lads,wouldn't it be great if we could swap places with them at first team level. Only needs an injury or two for Grealish, and they are dead in the water.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1530 on: February 04, 2020, 08:37:37 AM »
I read that their lad Keenan something came off crocked after a run in with brunty  8)
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1531 on: February 04, 2020, 08:47:48 AM »
Taken off as a precaution apparently.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1532 on: February 04, 2020, 08:47:59 AM »
The highlights are on the Albion websight. Their are some twists & turns to the game 

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1533 on: February 04, 2020, 08:51:12 AM »
The highlights are on the Albion websight. Their are some twists & turns to the game

Just as well we won as they'd probably have been on the pitch again otherwise. Meanwhile a DVD of our epic win will be available from the club super store and Merry Hill in time for Easter. Possibly.......

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1534 on: February 13, 2020, 02:58:15 PM »
Diaby has scored twice in first 25 mins today

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1535 on: February 13, 2020, 03:13:38 PM »
Diaby has scored twice in first 25 mins today
3 goals in 3 games, decent return for a winger with no game time in 8 months.

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1536 on: February 13, 2020, 04:23:09 PM »
Finished with hat trick in 3-0 win  ;D

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1537 on: March 02, 2020, 08:32:15 PM »
Albion lead 0-1 at Swansea in tonight’s Under 23s match with a goal from George Harmon. 69 minutes played. The game is live, I’ve just discovered on Swansea’s Facebook page
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 09:05:27 PM by royhan »

gazberg

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1538 on: March 02, 2020, 08:35:55 PM »
Watching it now, thanks for the heads up!

gazberg

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1539 on: March 02, 2020, 08:51:24 PM »
Whos the big lad, our number 10.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1540 on: March 02, 2020, 08:52:03 PM »
Axham White (spell?) sent off for a dangerous tackle

gazberg

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1541 on: March 02, 2020, 08:52:50 PM »
Yeah that was a bit wild, no malice but made it easy for ref to sned him off.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1542 on: March 02, 2020, 08:58:50 PM »
FT: 0-1

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1543 on: March 05, 2020, 04:34:59 AM »
We have a whole host of lads who need loans next year to see whether they will make the grade we need or If they will fund the academy for a few years. Following need to go out:

Palmer has played 36 games for Plymouth in league 2 and got 13 clean sheets this year. Who are currently well in contention for automatic promotion. I'm sure they would happily have him at league 1. If not somebody else in league one 1 may take a punt on him

Callum morton has 5 goals in 8 games for northampton who are in the play offs in league only 7 points of automatic promotion. He may also be worth a loan to league one next year.

Fitzwater make or break season for him I guess. He has been retained for cover here. He needs a loan to a championship side to see if he can make the grade. Hes done ok with walsall in league 1 on a couple of occasions.

Kane Wilson has been a part player for tranmere another one who probably needs a full season in league one. For somebody only just about to turn 20 hes had some terrible look with injuries.

Sam field hasnt looked out of place on either divison with wba however he hasnt set the world a light either. He is somebody else who needs 40+ games in championship next year.

Leko looked as if he wouldn't get near even championship grade. He was a new player at charlton under Bowyer and if that option is available again next year we should utilise it.

Harper got a lot of game time under Darren Moore but been nowhere near the team this year. Another one who appears as if he could make a half decent player needs a championship season somewhere.

Edward's for me is one of the most interesting ones for me as he is a late developer he didn't set the world a light in league 2 with Exeter but has really come on to the scene this year. He needs tying down and getting 30-40 games in championship also.

Oshea possibly the best of our prospects. Not sure whether we can get away with him playing full back if we got promoted, neither do I see it as benefital for him or club being reserve here full season at championship again useful.

Failure to get all of these out summer and the dof wants shooting. I haven't included Ferguson who is obviously going and also tulloch who may also be off. Obviously if he stayed hes another who needs senior football

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 05:35:38 AM by beechyboy90 »
O Albion we love you

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1544 on: March 05, 2020, 08:49:48 AM »
I think a lot of them will be in our squad next year no matter which division we're in.

Thanks to an over-inflated transfer market, and the 'home grown' rule, it's getting increasingly difficult to make transfers at the highest levels. The last few windows have seen lots of clubs add maybe one or two, but fairly few go down the route of massive overhauls anymore.

As people ask for higher fees and higher wages, clubs are going to become more reliant on bringing through their own talent - this is why big clubs are being very active in trying to poach talented younger players, so that they can get them fairly cheaply before they have to pay through the nose for them.

We've had a good few years of silly transfers. As the market inflates and FFP bites, clubs are going to be more reliant on their academies than ever.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1545 on: March 07, 2020, 11:09:14 AM »

Failure to get all of these out summer and the dof wants shooting. I haven't included Ferguson who is obviously going and also tulloch who may also be off. Obviously if he stayed hes another who needs senior football

Loans do have a role in player development but they are not a panacea and nor are they an alternative to making a decision about a player's future at the club. Clearing pathways in the squad is as important if player comes back from a successful loan spell and still finds themselves 4th or 5th choice then really what is the point?

The decision making process is as follows

a) Does the player have the skill set and physical attributes to fit into a specific position in Bilic's current set up?

If no. Can we develop those skill sets and attributes in one to two years? If the answer to that is no then we let the player go. If the answer to that is yes then consider a loan move. 

If the answer to a) is yes then then

b) Is the player sufficiently developed to be back up option in squad for their specific position? If the answer to that is yes. Then is there a gap in the squad? If the answer is yes they go into the squad.

If the answer is no then can we clear out those squad players in front him? If the answer to that is yes then he goes into the squad. Otherwise we consider a loan until the point that the pathway is unblocked.

If the answer is no then is player likely to develop sufficiently to be able to occupy the back up position on the squad either in the next few seasons or no latter than their 23rd birthday? If the answer to that is yes then consider a loan otherwise let the player go.

The loans themselves need to be considered carefully. Wherever possible they need to join a club where they are likely to be first choice. Equally there is very little point to loaning a player to a team who on the face of it play in a manner that is completely alien to the way Bilic plays. So for instance a loan to Cardiff City under Neil Harris might be less worthwhile than a loan to Oxford United under Karl Robinson.

In general I would favour shorter loan periods. There are two reasons for this firstly at League 1 and 2 level players can get away with things they can't further up the leagues. Ideally young players need enough playing time to pick up useful experience but not long to pick bad habits. Secondly particularly for those players who are close to the first team January might give the club the opportunity to move a senior player on thereby freeing up a place on the squad.

In addition you have to overlay a players contract position with us and their fitness.

Looking at the young players listed in the earlier post.

Palmer As a goal keeper I wouldn't apply the rules to him as rigidly as an outfield player. Even if he were good enough to be a back up option he might be better served going out to a League 1 club. Personally I wouldn't send him back to Plymouth because I don't want him to start thinking of himself as a Plymouth player. However he is 23 and out of contract this might be the point where we just let him go.

Morton 20 Currently playing as a second striker for Northampton, this is not a position which exists in Bilicball. Either he develops into a lone striker or a wide forward or he goes I have no idea whether he can or not.

Fitzwater 22 out of contract difficult to see him as a back up option even in the Championship getting to the point  where a decision needs to be made.

Wilson 19 Not had the best of times on loan at Tranmere someway short of being back up as a Right Back seen first Ferguson and now O'Shea move ahead of him. Still got a bit of time on his side but I think release is more likely than loan.

Field 21 He has made 40 senior appearances for us and it is time to make up our mind about him. My view is he is natural back up option to Sawyers in the deep sitting playmaker role. He either gets that or he moves on. Obviously he is injured at the moment and he needs to recover before anything can happen.

Harper 19 He has time on his side and I think he can play as one of the 8's in a 4-3-3 I also think he might be okay as a 10. He does need to be more assertive in either role and not drift in and out of games. He certainly has the talent Is he good enough as a back up? Certainly in the Championship less so in the Premier League. The right loan might be beneficial.

Leko 20 Unfortunately recovering from an ACL. Would fit the wide left attacker in a 4-3-3 Certainly good enough to be back up in the Championship even potentially first choice and again less so in the Premier League. Yet here is the ultimate in blocked pathways the current roster of Right Footed wide players is as follows

Robinson (on loan) Phillips, Grosicki, Edwards (see below) and the returning Burke.

Contracted to 2021 I doubt he will sign a new deal unless there is a chance that he get's to be a least 2nd choice.

Edwards 22, out of contract at the end of the season but with one year option in favour of the club. For the first half of the season de facto 2nd choice to Phillips. Has shown his undoubted potential in short bursts in games but not for a full 90. When Bilic lost faith in Phillips he recruited not one but two direct replacements. Overall not sure where this leaves Edwards. I doubt whether both him and Leko can make it under the current regime and unless we unload a few then neither will.

O'Shea 20 think he will get to be defensive cover next season regardless of the division we are in might even be first choice right back. 

The churn of young players is inevitable and the first block to the next generation of players from the academy are those 19 to 23 year olds hanging about the place in limbo. I am sure we will regret letting some of the players we will release in the next couple of years but at some point you have to make a decision.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 12:56:16 PM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1546 on: March 13, 2020, 05:10:03 PM »
My posts are my personal views and any links or external inclusions are not necessarily an endorsement by me.
I'm an ordinary bloke with no hidden agenda, here just to enjoy all things Albion etc.

It's all about opinions, so don't shoot the messenger if he/she has a different view to you!

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1547 on: March 13, 2020, 05:15:43 PM »
Exclusive: Senior figure has quit West Brom

???????????

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-steve-hopcroft-academy-17921512

Would the last person to leave the academy be kind enough to turn off the lights on the way out please  :-X ?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1548 on: March 13, 2020, 05:17:15 PM »
Suspect the plan for further segregation of the academy from the 1st team has not gone down too well!
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1549 on: March 13, 2020, 05:56:44 PM »
Wonder if its Villa again , done a lot of good work for the Albion.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.