West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 217080 times)

Offline timdon

• Reserve Baggie
Re: James Morrison
« Reply #1925 on: February 10, 2019, 09:56:04 PM »
Do we know if he has to make a certain number of appearances this season to activate the extra year i.e. even though the year is meant to be in his favour, does he still have to make a certain number of appearances before being able to exercise his preference ?
It wouldn't make any sense for the club to give him an extra year in his favour without making it dependent on appearances. That would be no different to a 2 year contract.

Offline Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1926 on: February 10, 2019, 10:34:33 PM »
It wouldn't make any sense for the club to give him an extra year in his favour without making it dependent on appearances. That would be no different to a 2 year contract.
It's different from Morrison's viewpoint in that an extra year in his favour would mean he could walk away after 1 year if he wanted to but he couldn't if it was a straight 2 year deal.
Hopefully though as you say it will be appearance triggered (crazy if not).

Offline timdon

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1927 on: February 10, 2019, 11:29:29 PM »
It's different from Morrison's viewpoint in that an extra year in his favour would mean he could walk away after 1 year if he wanted to but he couldn't if it was a straight 2 year deal.
Hopefully though as you say it will be appearance triggered (crazy if not).
Why would he want to do that? He wouldn't get a better deal anywhere else.

Offline BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1928 on: March 29, 2019, 10:35:05 PM »
Last game for us?
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #1929 on: March 29, 2019, 10:42:16 PM »
Last game for us?

Just said on Twitter, didn't think he was that bad, looks worse that HRK on and the change in system improved us so much. Neither Brunt Livermore or Rodriguez could have complained if they'd got the hook at h/t.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #1930 on: March 29, 2019, 11:02:04 PM »
Went off with an injury, felt his hamstring according to Shan
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline BalisPen

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #1931 on: March 29, 2019, 11:10:03 PM »
Last game for us?

Hope so to the tune of time to say goodbye and thanks and goodbye.

One run in the first half and that was it, outpaced in every encounter. I only hope the 2 year contract he signed had the second year in our favour.

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #1932 on: March 29, 2019, 11:11:15 PM »
Hope so to the tune of time to say goodbye and thanks and goodbye.

One run in the first half and that was it, outpaced in every encounter. I only hope the 2 year contract he signed had the second year in our favour.

It didn't  ::)

Offline Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1933 on: March 30, 2019, 02:19:59 AM »
It saddens me to say it as I have generally liked him as a player over the years with us, but Mozza is now unfortunately a spent force and it doesn't appear that he can really add anything further for the team moving forward.

He breaks down far too often (tweaked hamstring again this eve) and has then been putting in low par performances to accompany that in between as well.

Give the man his testimonial or whatever the modern day equivalent of that is now in the off season to give him the send off he deserves, but i'm afraid it really is time to move on now.

Pulis would probably take him in a heartbeat at Boro (assuming he isn't lynched by their fans for not making the play offs if they fall just short in the next few weeks)
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Offline gazberg

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1934 on: March 30, 2019, 03:04:23 AM »
We don't have the choice of letting him go at the end of the year. He decides whether he stays or not. Incredulous.

Offline tlms-p23

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #1935 on: March 30, 2019, 03:20:10 AM »
Totally disagree with the view that he's finished.

He was out of position, wide right in a flat 4. I still think he has something to offer in centre mid/attacking mid. It's been a decade since he's played on the wing for us.

More than 300 Premier League appearances for us and M'boro, has never relied on pace and I'd back him to pick a pass in the final third 9 times out of 10. In tight spaces he has always had a superb first touch and pops the ball off quickly and accurately. Utter tripe that he isn't worth a place in the squad.

Disregarding sentiment and nostalgia, he has a part to play next season irrespective of what division we are in. Perhaps not as a regular, granted, but he's still a very good footballer.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:27:29 AM by tlms-p23 »

Offline mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1936 on: March 30, 2019, 07:00:11 AM »
Once or twice he showed he is one of our few players who can turn his man and make space for others, but he did look pretty slow overall.  Its been said before, but he has never been quite the same player since his foot injury.

Offline frazzle

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1937 on: March 30, 2019, 07:28:22 AM »
Can’t judge him on last night. It was ridiculous to play him on the wing.

Offline Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1938 on: March 30, 2019, 07:36:28 AM »
Can’t judge him on last night. It was ridiculous to play him on the wing.

Agreed. It was a crazy and wrong team selection from Jimmy Shan. 4-4-2 first half didn't work at all and Shan got a bit lucky that Morrison was feeling a hamstring before the break so he (Shan) had to make a change.
Tears For Fears, Everybody Wants To Rule The World.

I can't stand this indecision, married with a lack of vision, Lai and Jenkins you are fking s h i t.

Offline TiptonThrostle

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #1939 on: March 30, 2019, 08:01:45 AM »
He was played out of position on the right hand side. Too many judge players like brunt and Morrison when they are being played out of position.

On the ball and trying to make things happen I actually thought he was our best player first half. That’s not a huge compliment though as we was very poor.

Offline Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1940 on: March 30, 2019, 06:20:49 PM »
Think it's beyond Morrison these days playing wide...but it's certainly not the first time he's been used there, fairly common sight 5 or  6 years ago. With his age and more to the point fitness these days he needs to be playing centrally where he can affect games without tearing about too much (back to the question of why was he given a new two year contract).

Offline iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1941 on: March 30, 2019, 06:38:13 PM »
He took the position of Kyle Edwards who did so well at Brentford. Ridiculous change
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1942 on: March 30, 2019, 09:11:25 PM »
playing wide, first game back, if we weren't in such a pressurised period, it would be a case of giving him a few games to get upto speed, the quality is there, BUT,  sadly the physical side isn't
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Offline LiamTheBaggie

• @westbromcom
  • Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #1943 on: April 02, 2019, 12:52:21 PM »
Totally disagree with the view that he's finished.

He was out of position, wide right in a flat 4. I still think he has something to offer in centre mid/attacking mid. It's been a decade since he's played on the wing for us.

More than 300 Premier League appearances for us and M'boro, has never relied on pace and I'd back him to pick a pass in the final third 9 times out of 10. In tight spaces he has always had a superb first touch and pops the ball off quickly and accurately. Utter tripe that he isn't worth a place in the squad.

Disregarding sentiment and nostalgia, he has a part to play next season irrespective of what division we are in. Perhaps not as a regular, granted, but he's still a very good footballer.

No doubting his previous worth to us - or his abilities.

He cannot stay fit and for that reason, whatever division, he needs to go.

It is no good having a player like Morrison on the books if he's going to spend most the weeks sitting with the fans..

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #1944 on: April 02, 2019, 02:56:09 PM »
He was played out of position on the right hand side. Too many judge players like brunt and Morrison when they are being played out of position.

On the ball and trying to make things happen I actually thought he was our best player first half. That’s not a huge compliment though as we was very poor.

We can't keep him fit, he went off apparently because he was carrying an injury.
If we can replace him at the end of the season then that is what we should do.
I'm one of his biggest fans and will be sorry to see him go.
Both him and Brunt have been great servants to this club but lets not kid ourselves, they've been paid very well for it.
Morrison was ready to go a few seasons back but stayed because we offered more money not for his love of the club.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Offline gazberg

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1945 on: April 02, 2019, 03:12:29 PM »
I cannot believe, even as crap as our board are, that we gave a fading, injury prone player an extension that allows HIM to dictate whether he gets an extension or not regardless of minutes played. Absolutely appalling.

Offline we8seals

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1946 on: April 02, 2019, 03:15:02 PM »
Sadly has been a busted flush for two or three seasons. Was once a very good player for us but should never have been offered the latest contract extension. Just one of many awful recruitment decisions in recent years.

Offline iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1947 on: April 02, 2019, 09:36:36 PM »
If someone has agreed to contract Morrison for another year, then pay the contract up, and get rid. This nonsense has gone on long enough.

Offline baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1948 on: April 02, 2019, 10:40:54 PM »
If someone has agreed to contract Morrison for another year, then pay the contract up, and get rid. This nonsense has gone on long enough.

Don't understand that argument?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Offline iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1949 on: April 03, 2019, 05:25:18 AM »
Don't understand that argument?
It means acknowledge that you have made a mistake and cut your losses. Having one of the highest paid players sitting on his arse and offering little to the club, is frustrating other players and SUPPORTERS. He is getting older and he ain't getting better. He is part of the old guard that have let us down time and time again, and is foiling the development  of our younger players.
James has had his time, had his moments , and earned a very good living, but has offered very little for three seasons now.