West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Seals watch - Anything Villa  (Read 993140 times)

Offline Standaman

• WBA Coach
Re: Seals watch - Anything Villa
« Reply #7825 on: October 12, 2018, 07:19:09 AM »
 It is hard to imagine 2 clubs that are further apart in expectations organisation and challenge than Brentford and Villa. Brentford are well run managed within a tight budget and generally not burdened by expectation the opposite is the case at Villa Park.

Smith is now in a totally different environment and I am not sure how he will adapt. The one thing he doesn't have is time. Villa have to get promotion this season their owners have gambled on it and if they don't they will have real problems with FFP next year.

I have an intense dislike of John Terry which I confess colours my judgement of him but I suspect that appointment might not end well.

I championed Smith's appointment here so I do think he is an excellent coach and he has over achieved at Brentford (promotion to the Premier League is a ridiculously high bar to set for a team with one of the lowest budgets in the League) but I suspect the dysfunctional monster that is Aston Villa will chew him up and spit him out.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Offline Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #7826 on: October 12, 2018, 07:58:39 AM »
Smith comes across very well and I'm sure he's a good bloke but I have to say I share that intense dislike of John Terry. It's a bit of an arranged marriage...thrown together and we'll have to see how it works. I think O'Kelly has gone as Smith's assistant or whatever also ? In reality Terry is going to be one of two or three assistants and may not have a huge initial input but he is no doubt a strong personality and who knows how things will pan out if they get off to a sticky start.

Offline seteefeet

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #7827 on: October 12, 2018, 08:59:59 AM »
Same here regarding John Terry. If things don't go well for Smith, he will distance himself from blame whilst prowling in the background ready to jump into his shoes.

Beware the Ides of March, Mr. Smith.

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #7828 on: October 12, 2018, 09:35:48 AM »
Same here regarding John Terry. If things don't go well for Smith, he will distance himself from blame whilst prowling in the background ready to jump into his shoes.

Beware the Ides of March, Mr. Smith.

I wonder if he'll do that thing he did with Chelsea in the European Cup Final where he was in the stands in his suit during the game then as soon as they win the cup he instantly morphs into John Terry with his full kit and boots on
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Offline KYA

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #7829 on: October 12, 2018, 11:08:06 AM »
I've nothing against Smith except I believe he was a vile fan as for Terry like others I really don't like the bloke.

Offline BalisPen

• Baby Baggie
« Reply #7830 on: October 12, 2018, 12:13:53 PM »
I've nothing against Smith except I believe he was a vile fan as for Terry like others I really don't like the bloke.

Darren Moore was a vile fan too, but not as fanatical and Smith and all his family.

I wonder if Smith had taken the job our place last summer, would he have jumped ship for the vilest.

On another note the 300k reported compo for Smith is cheap imo, he must have insisted on it in his last contract extension.

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #7831 on: October 12, 2018, 12:19:46 PM »
interesting post on a Boro fans forum shows a tweet from Brentford after they beat Blues 0-2 in Nov 17 that suggests Smith is a Blues fan. Might be mischief making though.

https://oneboro.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=4104&page=1862
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline eddiethebeagle

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #7832 on: October 12, 2018, 12:53:39 PM »
Smith is definitely a Villa fan. One of my Villa mates went to school with him and used to go up there with him.

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #7833 on: October 12, 2018, 01:08:24 PM »
Smith is definitely a Villa fan. One of my Villa mates went to school with him and used to go up there with him.

That's what I thought, everything I've ever read about him (not that I've read much mind) has stated that he grew up in a Villa household and supported them which is why the tweet from Brentford is a bit odd (if it is genuine)

B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline BalisPen

• Baby Baggie
« Reply #7834 on: October 12, 2018, 02:43:49 PM »
That's what I thought, everything I've ever read about him (not that I've read much mind) has stated that he grew up in a Villa household and supported them which is why the tweet from Brentford is a bit odd (if it is genuine)

Yup, grew up in a vile household in West Bromwich.

Should be a law against that!!!!

Offline KYA

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #7835 on: October 12, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »
Darren Moore was a vile fan too, but not as fanatical and Smith and all his family.

I wonder if Smith had taken the job our place last summer, would he have jumped ship for the vilest.

On another note the 300k reported compo for Smith is cheap imo, he must have insisted on it in his last contract extension.
Yes, I know about big dave  but  God showed him the error of his ways and he's now a baggie  :D.

Offline Standaman

• WBA Coach
« Reply #7836 on: November 30, 2018, 07:59:23 PM »
Saw this about the Lerner years at Seal park

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-nfl-owner-who-got-chewed-up-by-english-soccer-1543587247

My reaction was mainly mirth and had not realised he got tattoo of the club crest on his ankle which just makes it doubly funny. Best line in the whole piece

The only problem was that the Premier League equation for success—spend money, improve the team, never see that money again

Yep welcome to the madness

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.