Author Topic: 2008 FA cup semi final...memories  (Read 5131 times)

very old baggie

• Reserve Baggie

2008 FA cup semi final...memories
« on: January 08, 2012, 11:51:29 AM »
did anyone notice...

during the showing of the highlights of our game on ITV...last night and repeated this morning...

the guy covering the game reminded everyone that we lost in the semi final at wembley in 2008 to Cardiff City..

my memory is not what it was, as....

I'm remembering the game where the super baggies played Portsmouth off the pitch but managed to lose 1-0...and wasnt it an ex baggies legend (in some peoples minds  ;)) who scored their winner....

Cardiff City indeed.... :(

ITV...what are they like?...... :D

what are your memories and stories of that day?

does anyone remember the line-up that day....I can tell you the team from the 1954 final....but my short term memory is hopeless... :D

vob
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:59:48 AM by OldburyWBA »
very old baggie...sandershowemillardsetterskennedybarlowgriffinrobsonallenkevanlee(orhorobin)

the lords my shepherd

• Youth Baggie

Re: 2008 FA cup semi final...memories
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 12:08:31 PM »
Yes i heard what the comentator said and had to rewind it to make sore i'd heard it correctly. My memoy of that semi final was it just seemed to be a re-run of the play-off final against Derby the year before. We played well especially in the first half, hit the bar, lost 1-0 and both Derby and Portsmouth scored at the same end. The ball even nestled in the same part of the net lol.
Once a Baggie, Always a Baggie. Its in the blood.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »
Handball !!!!!!
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

the lords my shepherd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 12:12:59 PM »
Handball !!!!!!
    Yes and it was definately handball by Milan Baros,
Once a Baggie, Always a Baggie. Its in the blood.

Dudleylad

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 12:13:49 PM »
Dont worry on BBC yesterday we were apparently the away side
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

jsam

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
It was past my bedtime to watch the highlights last night, but I've no doubt VoB is right.

I have very fond memories of the Portsmouth game even though we lost because my lad Tom, who lives in Cardiff and I don't see very often met up with me the day before for a boys' weekend. He's got no connection with the Albion other than through me.

His partner's uncle was then a Beefeater at the Tower of London and she arranged for us to stay at their flat in the grounds of the Tower the night before. He took us down their social club where the beer (at unbelievably low prices) flowed. The film star Matt Damon was there for some reason, we had a chat and he was a really nice guy.

Next day was a Tube out to Wembley and a few pints in the pub designated for Baggies fans - a fantastic atmosphere.

Wasn't it an ex-Villa player who "scored" their goal? Boras?

Afterwards, I went out of the ground for a smoke while my lad went to the loo and bumped into an Albion fan just as down in the dumps as me. "Got a fag, mate", he said. "yes, mate." It was a priceless moment.

It was also the day of the Grand National and me lad and me made it back to central London in time to watch the race in a pub. He'd backed the winner at decent odds.

Then we split up to go our separate ways. On the train home he texted me. "Thanks for letting me be an honorary Baggie for the day".

I was so proud.

Thanks for starting the thread, Vob. Great weekend despite the deafeat.

Remember the past - learn from it

AlbionLegend

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 12:31:32 PM »
I remember the post match interview when David James said that Portsmouth had dominated the game, I went absolutely mental.
I've got those West Bromwich Blues!

very old baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 12:34:04 PM »
jsam....sounds like a great weekend...good for you... :D

I thought it was kanu who scored, but as I said earlier, my short term memory is flawed

vob
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 12:39:02 PM by very old baggie »
very old baggie...sandershowemillardsetterskennedybarlowgriffinrobsonallenkevanlee(orhorobin)

very old baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 12:36:46 PM »
I remember the post match interview when David James said that Portsmouth had dominated the game, I went absolutely mental.

I remember that interview too... complete and utter rubbish

we know the truth.. :D

BaggiesBoy

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 12:57:56 PM »
jsam....sounds like a great weekend...good for you... :D

I thought it was kanu who scored, but as I said earlier, my short term memory is flawed

vob

Was definitely Kanu who scored...Baros handled the ball in the build up to the goal

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 01:10:10 PM »
I went over to the match with some of my Irish mates joining me over in London without going to the match.
Went to the Albion pub and watched the highlights and saw the blatant handball. Was disgusted how blatant it was and my mates said I was making too big a deal of it.
Reminded them of this advice after Henry's handball a year later against Ireland - they did seem to be reacting even worse than me.

MulumbuPower!

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 01:19:15 PM »

Me too. Didn't like him at all after that.
I'd like to apologise for my spelling and grammar. I post from my phone.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 03:30:16 PM »
Their fans outside were horrible, properly rubbing it in. Apart from one small lad, about 9 with his dad who said well played to me and seemed to mean it... that was sweet. That kid aside though, i've been smug as anything watching them struggle these past few years.

Milan was a certain handball.... Koren off the bar wasn't it also? Butted that day. Been their twice adn we've lost 1-0 both times  :'(
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Webby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 03:32:30 PM »
Dressed in full banana suit very drunk and gutted must have been 1 of the last to leave Wembley... then 3 days later travelling to Blackpool talk about 1 opposite to the other!
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

reiss

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 04:06:30 PM »

inebriated off + getting inebriated

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 04:26:51 PM »
Just the whole day apart from the game was great seeing all the coaches, the pre match atmosphere. Three days later we went top of the Championship.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

bongodaddy

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 05:10:15 PM »
robert koren's screamer flying up off the cross-bar and kevin phillips visible irritation when talking to a TV interviewer.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 05:13:19 PM »
Dressed in full banana suit very drunk and gutted must have been 1 of the last to leave Wembley... then 3 days later travelling to Blackpool talk about 1 opposite to the other!

Me and my brother we dressed up in blue and white stripes trousers with jester hat on etc and a bloke came up to us dressed as a banana and told us we looked "f****** stupid". Wasn't you was it?  :D

zippyandbungle

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 05:14:23 PM »
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 06:34:08 PM »
Had agreat time in the pub just off the train line from west London singing all the old songs with a great bunch of lads, was buzzing til I got in the stadfium and thought it was cack ! Was on the very front row and couldnt see f**k all because the view was rubbish.

We then played really well and got robbed by a mercenary team with acheat who set up their goal. The final gut wrencher was that Kanu scored the goal, a player I had watched in an Albion shirt just a few years before and idolised.

Came out and it was wet and raining, horrible outcome and hate the NEW wembley with a passion. Over-priced for everything. And if you think the queue for the bogs at the Albion is slow, you should try going for a pee at Wembley....................no chance !
He's a lad from the Wrenna

wbainrickerscote

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 08:49:42 PM »
I remember walking around Birmingham on the morning of the game. There was a good atmosphere, lots of Baggies all around. On the train down to Wembley great mood on there as well. Wembley was buzzing. The game itself wasn't great. I recall it raining cats and dogs after the game, getting drenched then having to  stand on the train back to Brum which felt like it took forever.

I got chatting to a follow Throstle towards the end of the journey. I said 'You take the rough with the smooth following Albion' he replied 'I don't know about that you take the rough with the rough' He couldn't of put it more prefectly.

LiamTheBaggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 09:01:29 PM »
I was rather fortunate to go to Wembley once, but to go twice is a dream. Shame we've lost on both occasions.

I remember the morning, I'd not slept a wink all night, I was pacing the stairs during the middle of the night! I'd got up to go to the cafe as I do on a saturday and everywhere was littered with fans wearing their tops. It was a truly fantastic day and I really wish we could of got the victory to cap off the day.

It may come as no surprise, but the Wolves and Villa both took this as an oppurtunity to take the mickey, however, I weren't bothered. Although I was upset we'd lost at Wembley, to a handball! I was actually proud to see us there again.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

very old baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 09:19:36 PM »
yes, two wembley games and lost em both 1-0....

I wouldnt mind so much had we deserved to loose...but we didnt!!!!

next time we will get what we deserve.... :D

FallOutBoy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 09:21:18 PM »
I remember Adrian Chiles asking for a replay of the Milan Baros handball on Match of the Day. Then he said 'let's recreate that moment in the studio'. Somebody threw him a ball, and he just punched it as hard as he could.

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 09:24:07 PM »
I've been 5 times.

Everton won, Man City Lost, Port Vale won, Portsmouth lost, Derby lost

Hope to even the score next time. ;)
He's a lad from the Wrenna