West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 1379949 times)

Offline skyclad99

• Reserve Baggie
Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #10775 on: August 13, 2019, 11:20:16 AM »
The over-riding feeling I get when considering the Berahino saga is one of sadness and disappointment, rather than anger and annoyance.

This isn't a defense of Saido bytheby. I'm fairly sure he's an individual that I wouldn't really want to spend time with, and I am of the opinion that he had so many chances and a huge amount of special treatment from us, to try and keep him onside.

The juncture where I think it went wrong, is that bid from spurs on deadline day back in 2015 (God almighty, that long ago). We obviously knocked it back as it was too late in the day, and structured awfully. Saido had a choice then. Either accept the situation for what it was, or be a dick about it. We all know what he did.

I remember saying to my Dad at the time, that if he got his head down, had another season like the one just gone, it wouldn't be Spurs that came knocking for him, it would be Man Utd, or Chelsea or the like.

For me, Daniel Levy has to shoulder some blame here for disrupting and distracting a player. Saido himself, obviously has to take most of the blame for where he's ended up and how. That Spurs bid was a real "sliding doors" moment for his career.

Cannot help but think his agent had a fair bit to do with it as well by 'bigging' Saido up to the point Saido believed it.....
What have we done?
And what have we become
In this distance from our Mother
From the gates of late Eden?

Offline darbolina

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #10776 on: August 13, 2019, 11:52:12 AM »
The initial period after the Tottenham saga you can have some sympathy for him perhaps but over time, with his apparent drug use, speeding, dis-interested attitude the only person to blame is himself.

He only really looked a decent player for 10 games or so really when he first broke into the team and he lived off that for a couple of years.

I guess he's a millionaire so probably isn't too bothered either way now.........not sure he could ever (mentally) be good enough for the top two divisions now? He may even fail to get a contract at all ?

Offline LiamTheBaggie

• @westbromcom
  • Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #10777 on: August 13, 2019, 12:18:01 PM »
For me, Daniel Levy has to shoulder some blame here for disrupting and distracting a player. Saido himself, obviously has to take most of the blame for where he's ended up and how. That Spurs bid was a real "sliding doors" moment for his career.

I think its very unfair to portion any blame towards Daniel Levy.

Lets face it - Berahino had a lot of baggage prior to any rumoured interest from Spurs.

The derisory bids from Spurs should not be used to cover for this total waste of space.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Offline KN22

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #10778 on: August 13, 2019, 12:54:54 PM »
The initial period after the Tottenham saga you can have some sympathy for him perhaps but over time, with his apparent drug use, speeding, dis-interested attitude the only person to blame is himself.

He only really looked a decent player for 10 games or so really when he first broke into the team and he lived off that for a couple of years.

I guess he's a millionaire so probably isn't too bothered either way now.........not sure he could ever (mentally) be good enough for the top two divisions now? He may even fail to get a contract at all ?

You have hit the nail squarely on the head there Darbolina. Think back and ask yourself honestly, did he ever look like a top player?? I don't think he did personally and could never quite understand how a so called top player couldn't even head a ball correctly! We did extremely well to get what we did from Stoke. Had we agreed to the Tottenham deal however,  we would have really hit the jackpot based on what has happened since

Offline Standaman

• WBA Coach
« Reply #10779 on: August 14, 2019, 01:19:15 AM »
Levy was right. Talented but wayward hence the low offers which were heavily weighted on future sucess. After 2 indifferent seasons and a rapidly expiring contract we were very lucky to get what we got from Stoke. Truth is at any point Berahino could have easily gone off the rails and whoever was his club at the time would be in the same situation as Stoke found themselves.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Online elmo_in_swansea

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #10780 on: August 19, 2019, 08:41:20 PM »
Just scored again for Waregem 2 in 2
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #10781 on: August 20, 2019, 10:51:41 AM »
Interestingly (for me at least) Berahino's almost eight years older than his new club. SV Zulte Waregem were founded on July 1st 2001. Saido Berahino established a foothold on this spinning chunk of rock and dust on August 4th 1993. Weird to think that my nineteen year old son is older than the side Berahino now represents, especially given the heritage of the club where he started. Football, a game of ongoing contrasts and perspectives. Twisting my melon man, a 'day' late but never mind.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5HhwecdCQw
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Offline phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #10782 on: August 20, 2019, 04:20:33 PM »
Berahino 2 in 2 games in Belgium, point to prove? or found his level?
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Offline seteefeet

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #10783 on: August 20, 2019, 04:37:40 PM »
Berahino 2 in 2 games in Belgium, point to prove? or found his level?
There is no level that deserves this tagnut. He doesn't deserve to earn a living from a game he disrespects so much.

Offline Dudleylad

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #10784 on: August 20, 2019, 07:31:44 PM »
Potentially a move to to Europe could help him, potentially away from the 'hangers on' etc.

Offline KN22

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #10785 on: August 20, 2019, 11:00:28 PM »
There is no level that deserves this tagnut. He doesn't deserve to earn a living from a game he disrespects so much.

Seconded

Offline swad35

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #10786 on: August 21, 2019, 12:44:54 AM »
Cant we just close this topic and include him in the ex player thread if need be, would be nice if he was just a distant memory

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #10787 on: August 21, 2019, 02:00:33 PM »
Cant we just close this topic and include him in the ex player thread if need be, would be nice if he was just a distant memory

No it won't be closed, the ex players thread is purely for news of where ex players have moved to, it is not for constant updates on who scores where, that has been made clear numerous times.

If you or others are not interested in a topic then you have the choice to ignore it.

Offline MarkW

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #10788 on: August 21, 2019, 02:27:21 PM »
I saw a small article or comment somewhere that was saying the manager of Zwolte is known for his tough approach, and for getting players like Thorgan Hazard (Eden's brother) on the straight and narrow. Will be interesting to see how it plays out for Saido

Offline vrabbit

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #10789 on: September 09, 2019, 08:09:57 PM »
I saw a small article or comment somewhere that was saying the manager of Zwolte is known for his tough approach, and for getting players like Thorgan Hazard (Eden's brother) on the straight and narrow. Will be interesting to see how it plays out for Saido

3 goals in 4 games (all starts) over in Belgium so far

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #10790 on: September 10, 2019, 09:29:16 AM »

There was an article in Brummie Mail with quotes from his new manager saying how pleased he is with Berahino, his ability, his attitude everything. Maybe the penny has finally dropped.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/saido-berahinos-new-coach-said-16794527

Offline BoingFlyer

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #10791 on: September 10, 2019, 09:34:45 AM »

I always thought his hangers on were the problem, moving abroad has hopefully put the distance between him and them and solved the problem. I wish him the best of luck in turning his life around.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Offline KN22

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #10792 on: September 10, 2019, 12:48:10 PM »
There was an article in Brummie Mail with quotes from his new manager saying how pleased he is with Berahino, his ability, his attitude everything. Maybe the penny has finally dropped.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/saido-berahinos-new-coach-said-16794527

Maybe..... but somehow I doubt it!!

Offline ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #10793 on: September 11, 2019, 07:10:31 PM »
I always thought his hangers on were the problem, moving abroad has hopefully put the distance between him and them and solved the problem. I wish him the best of luck in turning his life around.

Would be nice wouldn't it.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music