West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 1393874 times)

Offline Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager
Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #1225 on: November 08, 2014, 10:12:03 PM »
No its not just you, I feel exactly the same way & posted such a little while back.
I'd agree too , backed him to come good for years but still feel there's loads of work and learning to be done. Lack of decent English forwards has bought all this early.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #1226 on: November 08, 2014, 10:24:12 PM »
I don't think he's overrated as he is what he is, a young lad learning his trade in the top division of the toughest league around. I think its more the usual case of the media over-hyping someone.

Offline WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #1227 on: November 08, 2014, 10:36:44 PM »
All the interviews I have heard this week sounds to me like billy big boots, no doubt agent driven. Just the way things are this day and age.25 mil snap any bodies hand off. Liverpool are desperate . God help us when he starts mingling with the stars, the rich next week

Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Offline Legend

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1228 on: November 08, 2014, 10:44:24 PM »
I think he's been generally level headed in his interviews and I'm sure his feet will be kept firmly on the ground by those around him.
the regime don't like it man

Offline lewisant

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1229 on: November 08, 2014, 10:52:47 PM »
All the interviews I have heard this week sounds to me like billy big boots, no doubt agent driven. Just the way things are this day and age.25 mil snap any bodies hand off. Liverpool are desperate . God help us when he starts mingling with the stars, the rich next week

The edited quotes make it look that way, the full story is a different story and he comes across level-headed. We can't stop him from having ambition! If he wanted to sit at a team who has flirted mid to lower table then he'd get complacent. He HAS to show ambition. If we want to keep players like him, then we have to match that ambition

Offline kamarasboot

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1230 on: November 09, 2014, 09:13:20 AM »
The reality is he will move to whoever offers what's Peace wants and whoever offers him the most in wages. The young lad can say what he likes about ambition and professional goals, I'm sure at some level its true but unfortunately today it's a case of 'money talks'

My personal view is that he if he were to leave January or the summer he'd fall away as a player. The one thing that's helping more than anything at the moment is playing regularly, we are a side who will play him and afford him some mistakes etc. would he get that at a top top side, not too sure. I'm also not too sure he's the great striker everyone is making him out to be, more the fact he's young, English and scored a couple. I know it's wrong to compare players because it's not 'apples to apples' but I look at the top strikers out there at the moment and can't see that you'd have Saido over them.

Hope he stays and develops as a player for a couple of seasons but everyone knows how these things work. We're looking at the liverpools, Man Utd etc because of the champions league and titles - when in reality he'll end up at some one like West Ham, Everton et el because they over him 70k a week - just look at Lukaku.....
"He can dish it out, but He cannot take it", I once heard someone say of me. And it's true - I serve school dinners and I'm allergic to mashed potatoes.

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1231 on: November 09, 2014, 04:17:59 PM »
I hesitate to ask this but here goes
Is Saido really that good?
5 goals from open play,
can be anonymous for long periods.

The media are building him up for a major fall IMO.
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Offline LiamTheBaggie

• @westbromcom
  • Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #1232 on: November 09, 2014, 06:08:45 PM »
I think today was a good indicator that he is much better upfront on his own rather than sharing the duties with a team mate. He has been very good all season, improving many assets of his game, whether its the timing of his runs, his upper body strength and the ability to hold up the ball and link play with his team-mates. He has without doubt excelled this season. Unfortunately, when we add an additional forward we literally negate all of his best assets, in particular when that striker is Anichebe whose primary purpose is too hold possession.

Saido is much more rounded striker in my opinion with far more attributes to his game. Anichebe is a good option to bring off the bench, that is where he'll cause the majority of his havoc. Saido, this season is the only player within our side that actually looks like scoring on a regular basis so I do get concerns when I see him either being shunted wide to accommodate others or having to drop deeper into unfamiliar territory just so we can accommodate a lump of a target man.

He has showed plenty of progress this year - progress where I now feel we should be building our midfield around him because the fact of the matter is he is the only person at this club who has the ability to get us the goals we need. For heavens sake, don't nullify him just to accommodate others who offer nowhere near enough.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Offline Avonbaggie

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1233 on: November 09, 2014, 06:26:34 PM »
He was poor today but probably didn't want to risk injury before the international break..

Online TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #1234 on: November 09, 2014, 06:45:43 PM »
5 goals from open play,

Doesn't matter. Calum Chambers and Luke Shaw fees mean we will get big bucks for him.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Online TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #1235 on: November 09, 2014, 06:47:44 PM »
I honestly thought he played well within himself with a view to linking up with the England team.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Offline Silver Thostle

• WBA Newbie
« Reply #1236 on: November 09, 2014, 06:50:44 PM »
He was poor by the high standards he has set, but he wasn't in his best role and had no real chances.

Offline miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1237 on: November 09, 2014, 07:57:47 PM »
5 goals from open play,

He's not exactly receiving great service though is he?

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1238 on: November 09, 2014, 08:17:09 PM »
He's not exactly receiving great service though is he?
Agreed but the hype is so intense, a goal for england will see bloody hysteria break out.

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #1239 on: November 09, 2014, 08:43:56 PM »
Agreed but the hype is so intense, a goal for england will see bloody hysteria break out.

Its the English way, build them up to rip the S***e out of them later

Offline zippyandbungle

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1240 on: November 09, 2014, 09:32:15 PM »
Is it just me that thinks he is overated? It seems he is getting way ahead of himself here.
Micheal Johnson, Neil Mellor ??
Id sell tomorrow , if we get anything over 20mil and hes good , we will have a sell on and a nice profit , if he dips off , we have made a profit and some other mugs worry about the hyperwage.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Offline zippyandbungle

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1241 on: November 09, 2014, 10:21:04 PM »
Its the English way, build them up to rip the S***e out of them later
oi"..no one had a bad word for Bullay ????
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #1242 on: November 09, 2014, 10:31:34 PM »
oi"..no one had a bad word for Bullay ????

I can think of a few  :D

Offline WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #1243 on: November 10, 2014, 08:24:07 AM »
Hes getting no support from midfield whatsoever
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Offline Wbahunty

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1244 on: November 10, 2014, 10:25:43 AM »
To me, I cannot wait for the January Transfer window.

Sell him as soon as possible because I dont think he is all that he is being hyped up to be!

This post might come back to haunt me in 5-10 years but watching this season he has only one game and thats the through ball to run onto. He cannot beat a player, go past a player. Everytime a knock on or header was won he was no where near the play yesterday!

Take away the Manchester and Burnley goals the rest have been penalites and goal line tap ins! I know you have to be there to score them but he was our worst player on the pitch yesterday...offered absolutly nothing apart from a shot that stung Kruls hands and even then he nearly missed the chance as he didnt read the play!

Let him score for England get the big clubs intrsted and flog him for big bucks!

Thats the best we can hope for anyways, hes got Champions League ambitions you know!

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1245 on: November 10, 2014, 01:03:02 PM »
To me, I cannot wait for the January Transfer window.

Sell him as soon as possible because I dont think he is all that he is being hyped up to be!

This post might come back to haunt me in 5-10 years but watching this season he has only one game and thats the through ball to run onto. He cannot beat a player, go past a player. Everytime a knock on or header was won he was no where near the play yesterday!

Take away the Manchester and Burnley goals the rest have been penalites and goal line tap ins! I know you have to be there to score them but he was our worst player on the pitch yesterday...offered absolutly nothing apart from a shot that stung Kruls hands and even then he nearly missed the chance as he didnt read the play!

Let him score for England get the big clubs intrsted and flog him for big bucks!

Thats the best we can hope for anyways, hes got Champions League ambitions you know!

well done for saying what I have been thinking, the hype is amazingly over the top.
I think media are struggling for "positives" with scousers, mancs & spuds struggling

Offline John Rest

• WBA Newbie
« Reply #1246 on: November 10, 2014, 03:28:04 PM »
Could have easily mistaken him for not playing yesterday.

Still, who doesn't have games like that.

Offline koren

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1247 on: November 10, 2014, 05:19:48 PM »
CHAIRMAN Jeremy Peace today assures Albion supporters that the club has no plans to sell its rising England star Saido Berahino.

The 21-year-old Academy graduate forward is the talk of the Premier League after becoming the top-scoring Englishman and winning a first call to Roy Hodgson’s senior squad.

It has triggered intense speculation about the striker’s future with Berahino facing a deluge of questions about his ambitions.

But Albion have nurtured Berahino since he first arrived at the club as an 11-year-old and the Chairman today stresses that he does not see the striker’s immediate future being played out anywhere else but at The Hawthorns.

He also confirms that talks have recently begun about Berahino, who is contracted for another three years at Albion, extending his current deal commitment.

The Chairman says: “I wish to assure our supporters that Saido Berahino will not be going anywhere in January or, I hope, next summer. It is not in our minds at all to trade a footballer the club has worked so diligently to develop.

“He is contracted to play for West Bromwich Albion until at least the summer of 2017 and we are happy to sit down with him and discuss extending that commitment on terms which recognise his continuing improvement as a footballer and his growing importance to our own plans.

“We have begun that process by opening preliminary talks with Saido’s representatives.

“We are delighted that this development has now taken him all the way to the senior England squad. This reflects proudly on our club and the efforts of all the staff who have played such a key role in Saido’s progress since he arrived here as an 11-year-old.

“However, it seems to have also generated unwarranted and excitable speculation about his future - which I wish to stress remains very firmly aligned to this football club.”

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/chairman-clarifies-berahino-stance-2075821.aspx#rKo3Hl5UZIuDtCI9.99
The PRIDE of midlands

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1248 on: November 10, 2014, 06:44:07 PM »
The cynics will say this is JP talking up the price. I do think the numbers being bandied about are ridiculous, but we do need to keep Saido until an adfequate replacement is in situ. I'm sure JP will be only too aware of that.

Offline BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1249 on: November 10, 2014, 07:02:26 PM »
Seeing as he is the only player who will get over 5 goals yes we kind of need to keep him.