Poll

Who would you like to be our next permanent head coach/manager?

Rob Edwards
23 (6.6%)
Sean Dyche
115 (32.8%)
Scott Parker
15 (4.3%)
Chris Wilder
11 (3.1%)
John Terry
3 (0.9%)
Roy Keane
3 (0.9%)
Michael Carrick
26 (7.4%)
Slavisa Jokanovic
5 (1.4%)
Chris Hughton
1 (0.3%)
Michael O'Neill
0 (0%)
Carlos Coberán
48 (13.7%)
Liam Rosenior
9 (2.6%)
Someone not listed
38 (10.8%)
Enzo Maresca
35 (10%)
Gary Rowett
0 (0%)
Stephen Schumacher
19 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 351

Author Topic: WBA Next Manager/Head Coach Thread  (Read 123458 times)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: WBA Next Manager/Head Coach Thread
« Reply #275 on: October 11, 2022, 09:08:01 AM »
Damn, still no call or text !

They're still waiting to know whether Atomic wants to stake his reputation on us. Know your place in the pecking order and await your turn. Baggies82 is after Atomic. I've ruled myself out of the running because the English FA have approached me. Part time job with a big payoff in the pipeline. Maybe next time.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #276 on: October 11, 2022, 09:08:39 AM »
In a small piece of good news Roy Keane has dismissed speculation linking him to the job as "absolute rubbish"

Log's on tomorrow to find a picture of him on the officiall website holding a scalf looking miserable  ;D

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #277 on: October 11, 2022, 09:11:16 AM »
He called it absolute rubbish and that the bookies were playing with people.

Two bits of good news in one day.

Glad to hear it!

Albionfan1983

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #278 on: October 11, 2022, 09:11:45 AM »
All roads lead to Carlos Corberán i think

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #279 on: October 11, 2022, 09:15:57 AM »
Bielsa's training regimens would cripple half of our aged squad.
Mmmn, come to think of it ...
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #280 on: October 11, 2022, 09:29:45 AM »
All roads lead to Carlos Corberán i think

Worrying he didn't last long at Olympiacas

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #281 on: October 11, 2022, 09:30:23 AM »
I originally voted for Dyche as I felt we needed to reset a little and get what I think is an ACTUAL safe pair of hands (Dyche, Allardyce until he joined us) as opposed to somebody with a reputation as a safe pair of hands (Bruce).

After reading the latest Athletic article (which is fantastic) it sounds like the players actually want a coach and we need somebody that will focus things on the pitch and Gourlay really then needs to get this footballing board sorted, including a DOF and then the recruitment department needs an actual overhaul/to actually exist.

Bielsa I think is out of our reach. So for me Corberan would be first choice however his reasons for leaving Huddersfield worry me, or should I say Gourlay and our board worry me. Corberan would be followed by, in no particular order; Edwards, Critchley, Evatt and Rosenior.

There is suddenly somebody called Leam Richardson who is now 2nd favourite so I’m off to waste my time googling potential candidates and get me knickers in a twist/excited about people that probably ain’t coming!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #282 on: October 11, 2022, 09:35:50 AM »
They're still waiting to know whether Atomic wants to stake his reputation on us. Know your place in the pecking order and await your turn. Baggies82 is after Atomic. I've ruled myself out of the running because the English FA have approached me. Part time job with a big payoff in the pipeline. Maybe next time.

Best thing they could do is give me the job. Managers mystify me all the time I'd show the lot of them how it's done.  8)

Start a petition mate, get me in.  ;D

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #283 on: October 11, 2022, 09:36:36 AM »
At my age I can’t hang around in queues ( ask the dopey woman in Tescos) so am considering announcing retirement as that often brings the offers flooding in based I suppose on not needing to long a contract , handy when you’re sacking folk every 6 months or so !  Over to you Ron !!!!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #284 on: October 11, 2022, 09:38:29 AM »
Best thing they could do is give me the job. Managers mystify me all the time I'd show the lot of them how it's done.  8)

Start a petition mate, get me in.  ;D
Be a vacancy for you shortly at Seal Park if the tone of their support is any guide ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #285 on: October 11, 2022, 09:50:49 AM »
Be a vacancy for you shortly at Seal Park if the tone of their support is any guide ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

They'd never give me enough time to do the job properly. One relegation and I'd be gone. If only they'd let me see out a five year contract.  ;D

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #286 on: October 11, 2022, 09:52:48 AM »
Pochettino
If you don't ask. For all we know he might be up for a challenge

You jest of course.... dont you?? Great manager but we would struggle to meet 10% of his wage demands.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #287 on: October 11, 2022, 09:54:22 AM »
I originally voted for Dyche as I felt we needed to reset a little and get what I think is an ACTUAL safe pair of hands (Dyche, Allardyce until he joined us) as opposed to somebody with a reputation as a safe pair of hands (Bruce).

After reading the latest Athletic article (which is fantastic) it sounds like the players actually want a coach and we need somebody that will focus things on the pitch and Gourlay really then needs to get this footballing board sorted, including a DOF and then the recruitment department needs an actual overhaul/to actually exist.

Bielsa I think is out of our reach. So for me Corberan would be first choice however his reasons for leaving Huddersfield worry me, or should I say Gourlay and our board worry me. Corberan would be followed by, in no particular order; Edwards, Critchley, Evatt and Rosenior.

There is suddenly somebody called Leam Richardson who is now 2nd favourite so I’m off to waste my time googling potential candidates and get me knickers in a twist/excited about people that probably ain’t coming!

I’m convinced Dyche correctly isn’t stupid enough to consider our job and will wait for a premiership offer when Southampton or Leicester or Villa etc pull the trigger. Corberan must be high up the list.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #288 on: October 11, 2022, 10:08:18 AM »
TalkSport have just said that Boro are interviewing Carrick today..

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #289 on: October 11, 2022, 10:11:54 AM »
TalkSport have just said that Boro are interviewing Carrick today..

Rather then them us. Who knows, maybe he's actually a good coach but always skeptical with high profile names if they're just getting jobs based on their playing career.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #290 on: October 11, 2022, 10:17:26 AM »
Carrick may not be right for us but Boro are also interviewing people like Scott Parker and Rob Edwards - all bright young coaches. This is the philosophy we should pursue. We have gone down the old boys route far too often.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #291 on: October 11, 2022, 10:19:29 AM »
Scott Parker isn’t the one. Carrick would be an extremely risky appointment thanks to the position Bruce has left us in, it’s impossible to know how good a manager he would/will become

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #292 on: October 11, 2022, 10:23:28 AM »
I do like the idea of Maresca but there is no way (even if he were interested) that he will be on Gourlay's radar.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #293 on: October 11, 2022, 10:41:07 AM »
Would be happy with Corberan, thought his Huddersfield team looked well coached when we played them last year at home. To get that Huddersfield team to the playoff final last year was a good achievement & plays good football.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #294 on: October 11, 2022, 10:54:27 AM »
Hands up. I'll admit it. I have no idea whatsoever as to the capabilities of Michael Carrick as a head coach, manager or tactician. With that in mind I will neither back him nor sack him off in advance of any possible appointment.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #295 on: October 11, 2022, 10:54:31 AM »
The quote below, from Carlos Corberán, in an article featured in AS, a leading sports website in Spain, concerns me about his commitment and his own self interests

I haven't voted yet and I am tempted to vote for Carlos, as I did like what he achieved at Huddersfield and the fact he is a disciple of the Marcelo Bielsa School of Footballing Philosophy.

Personally, I would like us to appoint a young, hungry and progressive manager. However, having read the Elias Burke article, unlike lewisant's take on it, I think a strong manager, who understands the mechanics of a football club, at all levels, on and off the field of play, is what we need to pull this basket case of a club together at this time, someone similar to a Gary Megson, (others may disagree with the comparison I make comparing the two eras)

So, I am now leaning towards Sean Dyche "Cometh the hour, cometh the man" (Winston Churchill)

This is Carlos Corberán quote

“Then they called me for the Leeds United project in England where I first managed the subsidiary team and then I was with Marcelo Bielsa in the first team where we got promotion to the Premier League, after that promotion I received the call from Huddersfield and I spent two seasons with the team until this summer I ended the contract that linked us because I wanted to aspire to an ambitious club in sporting achievements and that was the reason why Olympiacos arrived 6 weeks ago”

If he is capable of doing it once, he is capable of doing it a second time
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #296 on: October 11, 2022, 11:01:28 AM »
I'm not sure whether his aspiration of joining an ambitious club rules him in or out. It's one thing for both parties to be ambitious. It's another thing entirely for both parties to agree on what constitutes ambition and the wherewithal to achieve it.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #297 on: October 11, 2022, 11:09:35 AM »
Worrying he didn't last long at Olympiacas

Is Olympiiacas owned by the Forest owner?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #298 on: October 11, 2022, 11:20:18 AM »
Is Olympiiacas owned by the Forest owner?
yes, Olympiacos also have a habit of going on firing stints where managers only last a few months at a time before they find the right one. Last one was 16-18 where they went through 6 different managers and 4 caretakers (of which 1 was also sacked)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #299 on: October 11, 2022, 11:24:04 AM »
yes, Olympiacos also have a habit of going on firing stints where managers only last a few months at a time before they find the right one. Last one was 16-18 where they went through 6 different managers and 4 caretakers (of which 1 was also sacked)

Slaven Bilic's next destination perhaps? I hear the compensation's very good this time of year.