Poll

How do you rate our chances of survival under Allardyce?

Better than under Bilic
Worse than under Bilic
About the same

Author Topic: Chances of survival  (Read 10639 times)

pilchard, throstle, Standaman, baggie82, AlbertaBaggie, Senna68 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Chances of survival
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2021, 08:26:21 PM »
;D and if being in the PL is everthing why are my two happiest memories those of the play off semi final and final under Ossie.   Even more so than the first promo under SGM when I ended up on the hallowed turf celebrating.

Success and failure are all relative to experience and expectation.   I expected relegation this year and thoughts we had only the slimmest chance for survival before kick off.   The only change is that I know think we have zero chance of survival.   All that is upsetting is the absolute dogs dinner we seem to be making of the journey back down.

Bloody hell Oldbury, each to their own and all that but getting promoted via the playoffs from the third tier of English football?! Jesus wept 😭

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2021, 08:39:59 PM »
;D and if being in the PL is everthing why are my two happiest memories those of the play off semi final and final under Ossie.   Even more so than the first promo under SGM when I ended up on the hallowed turf celebrating.

Success and failure are all relative to experience and expectation.   I expected relegation this year and thought we had only the slimmest chance for survival before kick off.   The only change is that I know think we have zero chance of survival.   All that is upsetting is the absolute dogs dinner we seem to be making of the journey back down.

Agreed. Been supporting Albion since 1991. My 4 fav seasons are the Ossie season, 2 Mowbray seasons in the championship and the Megson first promotion season. Admitidly 5th fav would be the Lukaku season under Clarke

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2021, 08:40:20 PM »
Bloody hell Oldbury, each to their own and all that but getting promoted via the playoffs from the third tier of English football?! Jesus wept 😭

Wemberley.....wemberley.......in the pub before the break of dawn for breakfast.  We filled half of that ugly but historical old stadium and lifted a trophy at the end of it.   

Although I met Cyrille and Dekka as a boy I didn't start following until those halcyon days were well over.  My formative years as a fan were awful in so many ways.  Ardilles bought fun, entertainment and the first success I'd really known.   Forgive me but I don't remember the day out with my mates when we finished top ten in the PL or the crowd at the council house to celebrate hitting 40 points.

As I said success is relative to experience and expectation.  I expect to be relegated and will just look forward to starting again next year.

And to keep to the OP question.  Thought we would be relegated under Billic.  Felt the ridiculously placed optimism of having a better chance with a new manager for about three weeks before co.ing back to my original position.  One outcome.  It's just how it happens.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 09:06:23 PM by Oldbury24 »

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2021, 09:18:00 PM »
Agreed. Been supporting Albion since 1991. My 4 fav seasons are the Ossie season, 2 Mowbray seasons in the championship and the Megson first promotion season. Admitidly 5th fav would be the Lukaku season under Clarke

I did miss big chunks of the Hodgson/Clarke period due to the appearance of very small small children in my house but I still think the Wembley season and first promotion to the PL would still be up there when compared to seasons with the big wins in the PL.....as much as I wish I had been there more often.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 09:19:38 PM by Oldbury24 »

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2021, 09:55:35 PM »
I agree. That swansea play off game is the best atmosphere I've ever been to at a football match. There is a lot to be said about us being a big fish in a small pond. I bet Newcastle fans enjoyed their season under Rafa a few years back when they won the league more than the last several.

hillsm

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2021, 10:51:08 PM »
Fulham are looking in decent shape, streets ahead of us at the moment. They look organised, fit, playing with pride and have match winners in their squad who can pop up with a moment of quality to get them something out of tight matches.

baggie82

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2021, 11:12:50 PM »
Fulham are looking in decent shape, streets ahead of us at the moment. They look organised, fit, playing with pride and have match winners in their squad who can pop up with a moment of quality to get them something out of tight matches.

The premiership this year is full of quality. With a massive turn around I can see us getting ahead of Brighton and finishing above Sheff Utd but I don't see anybody else we can compete with. Burnley are quality, give 120% every week, defensively excellent and Chris Woods is handful up front. Fulham have a lot of strength in depth and don't lose many. Usually there are 5/6 teams that are dross. This season that is not the case. I'll be amazed and delighted if Allardyce could keep us up. Although buying a third choice keeper and Snodgrass doesn't exactly give the impression that the calvary are turning up any time soon.

GREGMT

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2021, 07:14:58 AM »
It's virtually all over.

No worries, we've probably got Livermore & Sawyers running out the tunnel at Molineux in 48 hrs as the midfield axis.

As I've said even if Allardyce had took a punt on players it would have seen like something is happening.  That said Allardyce said himself there was enough quality here already to keep us. 

skyclad99

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2021, 07:47:49 AM »
Can anyone see a Bradley screemer coming this weekend?? Happy days indeed

Still one of my all time favourite goals. That and seeing Bull in a heap with Graham Roberts stood over him repeatedly putting his hand in his pocket to show he had the measure of him......
What have we done?
And what have we become
In this distance from our Mother
From the gates of late Eden?

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2021, 01:39:54 PM »
It's virtually all over.

No worries, we've probably got Livermore & Sawyers running out the tunnel at Molineux in 48 hrs as the midfield axis.

As I've said even if Allardyce had took a punt on players it would have seen like something is happening.  That said Allardyce said himself there was enough quality here already to keep us.

How do you know he hasn’t taken a punt with players? How do you think he hasn’t gone and said ‘these are the players we want’?

That is literally all Allardyce can do, it’s then up to the rest. It’s not like Football Manager where the manager sticks a bid in and does the negotiated.

GREGMT

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2021, 02:06:26 PM »
How do you know he hasn’t taken a punt with players? How do you think he hasn’t gone and said ‘these are the players we want’?

That is literally all Allardyce can do, it’s then up to the rest. It’s not like Football Manager where the manager sticks a bid in and does the negotiated.

Leeds debacle gave major evidence that players were needed, that was 29/12/20.

Where is the pre-planning?  It was abvious WW away on 16/1/21 we needed probably 3 signings.

We have had over 2 weeks to deliver.

WHU away is looming in 5 days.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2021, 03:06:28 PM »
Leeds debacle gave major evidence that players were needed, that was 29/12/20.

Where is the pre-planning?  It was abvious WW away on 16/1/21 we needed probably 3 signings.

We have had over 2 weeks to deliver.

WHU away is looming in 5 days.

I agree, but that is down to the bloke doing the negotiating. You can’t tell me you don’t believe that Big Sam would not have come straight in saying ‘I want X, Y, Z’. It’s then out of his hands and all down to the circus above.

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2021, 05:26:32 PM »
Tom Ross's comments regarding our targets and prospective incomings.....

https://mobile.twitter.com/thegoalzone/status/1349756994257891333
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2021, 07:27:50 PM »

Trying to stay open minded but i'd have more confidence if he hadn't seemed so shocked by the impact of a Brexit he voted for and openly supported.  Felt almost amateurish and really threw me.

Despite his track record and reputation without 20 or 30 million for him to spend I'm convinced we are rugged. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 07:31:07 PM by Oldbury24 »

Gilsey 56

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2021, 08:16:04 PM »
I'm a bit numb with my feelings about tomorrows match, we have taken a few beatings lately and I have no hope at all, which is a terrible feeling, and to make things worse I can't think of a good excuse not to have to watch it. God have mercy on our souls.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2021, 08:19:30 PM »
I'm a bit numb with my feelings about tomorrows match, we have taken a few beatings lately and I have no hope at all, which is a terrible feeling, and to make things worse I can't think of a good excuse not to have to watch it. God have mercy on our souls.

Chin up mate, it's not until Saturday so it's an extra day of misery for you.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Gilsey 56

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2021, 09:09:14 PM »
Chin up mate, it's not until Saturday so it's an extra day of misery for you.

HAHA, Yes your right Jacko, my son in law is a dingle and my brother in laws a vile, so I'm really enjoying life at the moment.
But as I've always believed every dog as his day, so I'll take it on the chin and wait with a little prayer here and there. :(

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #142 on: Yesterday at 10:17:28 AM »
About the same chances I reckon , it comes down to the poorly equipped squad (at this level). SA may end getting a few more points here and there but not enough to be close to staying up.

My biggest concern now is what kind of beating we as fans and the players that remain will take for the rest of the season. If you 'go down badly' (ahem) it can take it's toll and lead to more relegations or further doldrums. Generally , we've been relegated in good ways in terms , even the Pardew season, we went down fighting with Big Dave

ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #143 on: Yesterday at 11:20:15 AM »
My biggest concern now is what kind of beating we as fans and the players that remain will take for the rest of the season. If you 'go down badly' (ahem) it can take it's toll and lead to more relegations or further doldrums. Generally , we've been relegated in good ways in terms , even the Pardew season, we went down fighting with Big Dave

This has to be Albion's new ambition/ target for the rest of this season. Show fight and positivity, play as a team. For me that is what Sam should be working on now. There would be an absolute outside chance of staying up if he pulled that off, but either way we'd go down (double ahem) with some dignity. Fair enough, Big Dave had a more balanced squad to get the fight working - but how many points did he manage to claw out of those last six matches?
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #144 on: Yesterday at 11:23:25 AM »
I will add to that - I believe we also need a lot of luck, at least a couple of clubs going into freefall, losing form. It might happen but I would bet a bottle of Peaky Blinders Whiskey on it (and that stuff's bloody awful).
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Atomic

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #145 on: Yesterday at 11:41:52 AM »
I think we had to have three or four players in now to have any chance.

I think realistically it is a case of getting in a few loans to try and make us more competitive and respectable for the rest of the season to avoid total humiliation.

I expect Allardyce to be replaced by someone else before the end of the season who will then prepare for the Championship campaign with a view to promotion and then keeping us in the Premier League, much as the club originally planned under Bilic. This time though they need to appoint a man that will set us up in a way that will enable to us to survive in the PL. We were never going to do that under Bilic, a newly promoted club cant try and play tippy, tappy football and out technique other teams with greater resources.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #146 on: Yesterday at 11:47:51 AM »

I think realistically it is a case of getting in a few loans to try and make us more competitive and respectable for the rest of the season to avoid total humiliation.

I expect Allardyce to be replaced by someone else before the end of the season who will then prepare for the Championship campaign with a view to promotion and then keeping us in the Premier League, much as the club originally planned under Bilic. This time though they need to appoint a man that will set us up in a way that will enable to us to survive in the PL. We were never going to do that under Bilic, a newly promoted club cant try and play tippy, tappy football and out technique other teams with greater resources.

If this happens and Lincoln continue to impress then it's finally time for Appleton imo.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #147 on: Yesterday at 11:54:14 AM »

What we lack more than anything is strength and stamina. No-one can make a tackle, we don't press and we don't track back and this is evident throughout the squad, Whoever comes in seems to have the same languid attitude and lack of fitness. If Allardyce can't address this then no-one can but it seems that it runs so deep that they are actively resisting.
The new bloke may have better luck but, even if you want to play tippy tappy, as you call it, you need the work rate and application and this lot just don't have it.

Roll on August

gazberg

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #148 on: Yesterday at 11:56:04 AM »
Agree Seteefeet. They have been found out big term in terms of attitude even more than ability. It's all very nice and, as tends to follow, all very weak.

wodenson46

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #149 on: Yesterday at 12:16:18 PM »
Chances of survival reducing by the hour. Be alright though we will have a superfit team of donkeys to watch next year hoofing the ball all over the park in the champs and then div1 the season after. Then the moansters on here can really enjoy themselves, when they can get their teeth into another lot of Albion players. Really hope I am wrong but......