Author Topic: After Match Debate  (Read 3332 times)

Singhwba

• Junior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2020, 01:05:18 AM »
The rule, not to move off the line wasn't introduced this weekend, it has been common knowledge all season. There is nothing to stop Johnstone diving sideways across his goal line rather than jumping forwards. If however he insists on jumping forwards he should be standing behind his goal line. Penalties have been saved this season, including from Fernandes who missed one at Newcastle with his skip and jump. It didn't stop Darlow staying on the line. You might think the rule is unfair but it's a goalkeeping mistake to twice not be able to attempt a save whilst keeping a foot on the goal line.

I understand the rule clearly, all im asking is why is it down to just the keeper. Yes keep 1 foot on the line, but the rules should state that the attacker cant hop skip jump or whatever to give himself an advantage over the keeper.

On the other hand, After a positive performance, id rather talk about the ref, how well we played, rather then johnstone and the penalty

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2020, 01:10:17 AM »
Technically speaking the goalkeeper cannot stand behind the goal line by choice as he would be leaving the technical area of play without permission. He would then need the permission of the referee to re enter play. We see the same time and again when players leave the technical area of play when injured. An act of momentum in open play is different.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2020, 06:47:37 AM »
After sleeping on it I still feel cheated.
The boys played well and deserved something from that game.
In the build up to their penalty their was a blatant foul on Gallagher that the ref decided to let go.
How ours wasn't a penalty, even after review, I'll never know.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

baggies_24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2020, 07:49:37 AM »
After sleeping on it I still feel cheated.
The boys played well and deserved something from that game.
In the build up to their penalty their was a blatant foul on Gallagher that the ref decided to let go.
How ours wasn't a penalty, even after review, I'll never know.

This & on the 2nd retake Fred encroached the area so it should have been retaken again. Absolute screw job by the muppets that referee this league, no excuses when they have the benefit of video assistance they should be getting every decision spot on.

Atomic

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2020, 08:32:18 AM »
Absolutely disgusting antics yesterday.

Football is set up to favour and assist five or six clubs and the powers that be dont give a fudge about the other clubs. There is a huge bias towards these clubs, there has been for a long time. It goes on right in front of everyone's nose and no one with any influence really cares.

No point me analysing events from the game everyone knows what happened.

I know we all want what is best for the club but personally I cant wait to see us playing proper football again back in the Championship. The Premier League is disgusting. Referees might be poor in the Championship but at least there is a fairness and honesty about them and the league as a whole.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 08:54:23 AM by Atomic »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2020, 08:58:25 AM »
Refrained from posting last night.

I’m still equally as angry.

There is not much I can say that has not been said.   VAR got every decision wrong.
Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

KYA

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2020, 09:16:21 AM »
VAR is like a counting machine at an election it's not the figures that count but how those figures are interpreted, the evidence may be black but if the powers that be say it's white there is nothing you can do about it.
VAR is a tool to make sure they get the result they wanted it's as corrupt as it comes.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 09:19:21 AM by KYA »

BRIAN

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2020, 09:20:43 AM »
Smethdan i would think the "in goal" area is considered to be part of the playing area.

KN22

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2020, 09:24:05 AM »
We were cheated of course we were. I still cannot subscribe to the let’s get back to the championship view however. I want my club to be a success and that doesn’t happen if you are in the second tier. Other clubs do okay in this league, not just the chosen six. Let’s stay positive and move on.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2020, 09:37:14 AM »
We were cheated of course we were. I still cannot subscribe to the let’s get back to the championship view however. I want my club to be a success and that doesn’t happen if you are in the second tier. Other clubs do okay in this league, not just the chosen six. Let’s stay positive and move on.
Great post , my feelings exactly.
You only go backwards if you stay at that level too long and on the evidence of the last 2 games this side is better than many think.
Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

KYA

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2020, 09:40:36 AM »
I think what some people are saying is do we want to part of a corrupt league the Championship is more honest if the Premier was the same then there wouldn't be a problem.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2020, 10:29:43 AM »
Chump league is as bad with inept officials, which is the real problem. Man Utd have had a ridiculous amount of penalties since var was brought in and I'd wager that their opponents had a fair few ruled out.
To get var right I think that there should be a representative of each team present in var booth which should be at grounds and not remotely located.

KN22

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2020, 10:41:10 AM »
I think what some people are saying is do we want to part of a corrupt league the Championship is more honest if the Premier was the same then there wouldn't be a problem.

I do get that. However, what happens if we do well in Championship? Got to find a way of establishing the club in the premier league, corrupt or not.

ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2020, 10:53:35 AM »
VAR is like a counting machine at an election it's not the figures that count but how those figures are interpreted, the evidence may be black but if the powers that be say it's white there is nothing you can do about it.
VAR is a tool to make sure they get the result they wanted it's as corrupt as it comes.

I usually agree with you Kya, but in this instance the referee is a tool.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2020, 10:58:57 AM »
I'm still seething to be honest, in fact I can't recall ever feeling so cheated in a game. My wife doesn't watch much football but she was glued to this - first thinking we looked excellent (which we absolutely did next to United) - and then as furious as me about how the decisions were made.

She said the same as all of us, this league is loaded in the big guns' favour.

It was massively unjust and while I love the Albion I think the game at the top level is well and truly screwed. Bloody Sky. Bloody Murdoch. Bloody MONEY.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

BaggieBoy04

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #115 on: November 22, 2020, 11:11:43 AM »
I haven't watched any Replays of it the general view from everyone is that United were gifted a win I am still angry I will listen to the games today to see what points are raised about last night. But we move on hopefully we win next game COYB and **** VAR a total farse
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

NJS

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2020, 12:04:15 PM »
Somewhere between the Premier League and Sky there is a motive for creating a competition at the top end of the division.  It creates more headlines and more subscriptions than what might be happening elsewhere in the league.

I think this creates a pressure - even unspoken - on referees to do right by the top clubs especially those challenging Citeh and Liverpool this season (cf Spurs and Man Utd).

Second factor is that Mourinho or Solskaer complaining creates more headlines and more comeback on refs than complaints from Dyche or Bilic.

Third factor is that so many refs are star-struck and even supporters of the top six.

All of the above nets down to the conclusion that you can't look for fairness in the EPL.
Hales Owen born.  "No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude."  Karl Popper
"You can be so irrational at times." Mrs NJS

kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2020, 12:19:45 PM »
Fuming last night, still fuming this morning.  >:( The football authorities need to look at this VAR rubbish, it is killing football.
Smethwick Born, Tipton Bred. Worcester Oldie.

johnny Cash

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2020, 12:32:19 PM »
Watch the ref go to the monitor again. He doesn’t even wait for the best angle. He’s already walking away when it gets to it.

SirTonyM

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2020, 12:36:27 PM »
On another note, we can’t seem to score. We created chances yesterday but our lack of goals even with Grant in the team is worrying...

mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2020, 01:51:02 PM »
Worth retelling the old Megson story about pre-match at Old Trafford:

Ref doing the courtesies, oils up to Rooney, "Oh, hi Wayne, I was wondering would we get a pic after the match for my 12 y old son.  Have a good day, Wayne."

Strides up to Paul Robsinson:  "You, Robinson, I know your style, you'd better keep it clean today"

And then people are surprised when things like last night happen?

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2020, 02:04:52 PM »
Watch the ref go to the monitor again. He doesn’t even wait for the best angle. He’s already walking away when it gets to it.

he was also stood quie far away for a smalls screen, how can he possibly see to make a decision from that.

It was just an act.

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2020, 02:22:46 PM »
Smethdan i would think the "in goal" area is considered to be part of the playing area.

Hello Brian. If you read your post back to yourself and have a think about it, you'll realise why the 'in goal' area is not considered part of the playing area of a football pitch.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

KYA

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2020, 02:25:37 PM »
I usually agree with you Kya, but in this instance the referee is a tool.
Well,  on that front you won't get any arguments from me! ;)

KYA

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2020, 02:28:18 PM »
I'm still seething to be honest, in fact I can't recall ever feeling so cheated in a game. My wife doesn't watch much football but she was glued to this - first thinking we looked excellent (which we absolutely did next to United) - and then as furious as me about how the decisions were made.

She said the same as all of us, this league is loaded in the big guns' favour.

It was massively unjust and while I love the Albion I think the game at the top level is well and truly screwed. Bloody Sky. Bloody Murdoch. Bloody MONEY.
This site really could do with a thumbs-up emoji but suffice to say regarding Sky I agree.