Author Topic: Branislav Ivanovic signs for WBA  (Read 17425 times)

gazberg

• WBA Coach

So Russia Football fans on Twitter saying he plays CB only now and plays it very well so who knows.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

The board strike again. We will never learn.

I don't agree with this. The big difference is that Ivanovic is a free transfer who would be signing a short-term contract for the season. The mistakes in the past were signing players under TP who were in their late 20s who cost big money and had no sell on fee with long contracts.

Difficult to say if he's going to be an asset or not but it's a gamble worth taking on a free. He played a full season in Russia so appears to have kept himself in shape and fit and we do need more experience in the defence.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

I really hope this rumour isn't true. Worried that Percy seems to have confirmed it.
Ivanovic is exactly the kind of player we should be avoiding. Yes he offers experience but that is all, his pace went years ago. I doubt his wages will be small beer either.

Coming in as a centre back I can sort of understand but how many do we need unless we are moving Hegazi or Bartley on?  Bartley, Hegazi, Kipre, Ajayi with O'Shea offering cover there as well.

Dexy : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

I really hope this rumour isn't true. Worried that Percy seems to have confirmed it.
Ivanovic is exactly the kind of player we should be avoiding. Yes he offers experience but that is all, his pace went years ago. I doubt his wages will be small beer either.

Coming in as a centre back I can sort of understand but how many do we need unless we are moving Hegazi or Bartley on?  Bartley, Hegazi, Kipre, Ajayi with O'Shea offering cover there as well.

Neither Hegazi or Bartley are good enough and O'Shea is likely to start the season as first choice right back.

gazberg

• WBA Coach

I don't agree with this. The big difference is that Ivanovic is a free transfer who would be signing a short-term contract for the season. The mistakes in the past were signing players under TP who were in their late 20s who cost big money and had no sell on fee with long contracts.

Difficult to say if he's going to be an asset or not but it's a gamble worth taking on a free. He played a full season in Russia so appears to have kept himself in shape and fit and we do need more experience in the defence.

This deal only makes sense if one of the CBs is going. He's not being brought in as a starter from various reports.

We don't need 5 CBs or 6 if you count DOS. We need strikers. I've give up on GK.

He's  ot going to be coming on chepa wages I'd wager.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Joseph Masi Twitter Account

As per @JPercyTelegraph , I understand Albion are closing in on a deal to sign Branislav Ivanović. Slaven Bilic previously tried to sign him for West Ham. Can play across the back four and brings some crucial Premier League experience following the departures of Brunt & Barry #wba
My posts are my personal views and any links or external inclusions are not necessarily an endorsement by me.
I'm an ordinary bloke with no hidden agenda, here just to enjoy all things Albion etc.

It's all about opinions, so don't shoot the messenger if he/she has a different view to you!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Ivanovic has to be a central option and we already have 4 Centre Backs as a full back he wouldn't even be on the side that we need to strengthen that's before we factor he'd get rinsed out wide.

I could just about cope with a deal like this if we were a team of callow youths with the bulk of the squad having less than say a 100 senior appearances under their belts but that's not the case. The absolutely ONLY way I could be comfortable with this as a short term fix if it allows us to trade out Hegazi for cash which could be used to fund other deals.

But right now this looks bad. The very worst reason to sign a player  is "experience" it never makes up for an inability to do a job on the pitch.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

I think I've said before but sometimes players are signed for their dressing room and in his case leadership and experience. Peltier last year for example, no one was excited but he was a squad player and obviously had an effect somehow that we won't see at all.

It's not like we're going to be giving Ivanovic 50-60k p/w is it. Maybe 20-30k with a performance bonus which in PL terms is not a lot.

Imagine he helps Kipre and Ajayi adapt and is there for cover. Him costing us 1.2-1.5m in wages for a season could be worth 100m to us next year if he does bits behind the scenes we don't see!
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

Played well at centre back for Zenit including in the champions league. Decent option and allows us to sell Hegazi/Bartley.

baggies_24

• Youth Baggie

This looks like it’s a Slav signing which if it is I’m not against. We need an old head in there especially at the back I’m assuming he’s coming in playing CB. If it means we sell Hegazi off and free some cash up for a defensive mid/goalkeeper I’m for it, don’t think there would be a huge drop off between Ivanovic & Hegazi anyways.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

I've seen us before try to consolidate other parts of the team whilst neglecting the main priority. Ivanovic potentially takes away valuable funds from other urgent priorities, most notably a proven goalscorer, not a makeweight. Also a higher priority is the central mid position where we urgently need either Krovinovic or Gallagher. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

In fairness McAuley was playing fairly regularly for us at centre back at that age and older, he had absolutely zero pace and definitely wasn’t as good as Ivanovic. I’m sure his reading of the game will make up for his lack of pace. You could say we will set up very differently to how we were then which would be a valid point.

I’m not sure on this one, but wouldn’t be too bad a signing.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

This deal only makes sense if one of the CBs is going. He's not being brought in as a starter from various reports.

We don't need 5 CBs or 6 if you count DOS. We need strikers. I've give up on GK.

He's  ot going to be coming on chepa wages I'd wager.

Think Hegazi or Bartley will be sold

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

Ivanovic has played 71 games in the past 2 seasons, whilst the Russian league isn't the best in the world it's not terrible either. Remember, we can't constantly sign good, young players and expect it to be easy or avoid relegation. When we first went up we got Shorey and Scharner. Both stayed for about 2 seasons and were on big money/at the end of their careers. However, they still worked for us at the time. A bit of experience is vital when you first go up.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

In fairness McAuley was playing fairly regularly for us at centre back at that age and older, he had absolutely zero pace and definitely wasn’t as good as Ivanovic. I’m sure his reading of the game will make up for his lack of pace. You could say we will set up very differently to how we were then which would be a valid point.

I’m not sure on this one, but wouldn’t be too bad a signing.
In the Pulis team, defenders were hardly allowed to set foot outside the penalty area, so the issue of having to get back quickly from up the pitch hardly ever occured. A lack of pace is a weakness in a defender. If a quick forward knocks the ball past him, his only recourse is to pull him down with a yellow or red card to follow.

Not saying Ivanovic wasn't a great defender in his day.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 02:00:09 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Coach

I think I've said before but sometimes players are signed for their dressing room and in his case leadership and experience. Peltier last year for example, no one was excited but he was a squad player and obviously had an effect somehow that we won't see at all.

How can you know?

I'm ok with this deal if Bartley goes as he only has a year left anyway so he can walk on a free at the end of this season. So let's get something for him while we can hopefully.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 01:58:19 PM by gazberg »

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Ivanovic has played 71 games in the past 2 seasons, whilst the Russian league isn't the best in the world it's not terrible either. Remember, we can't constantly sign good, young players and expect it to be easy or avoid relegation. When we first went up we got Shorey and Scharner. Both stayed for about 2 seasons and were on big money/at the end of their careers. However, they still worked for us at the time. A bit of experience is vital when you first go up.

Excellent level-headed post. None of our current centre backs were playing in the champions league last season, or ever will.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Neither Hegazi or Bartley are good enough and O'Shea is likely to start the season as first choice right back.

I know that's why I said he could offer cover at CB.

Hegazi needs a strong partner next to him which Ivanovic could offer but would prefer to see what Kipre can do.

baggiebof

• Youth Baggie

I usually hate deals of this type but I'm unconvinced by either Bartley or Hegazi as the partner to Ajayi or Kipre. Ivanovic on a short deal to help facilitate the sale of one of the aforementioned to help fund a CM and CF purchase, then I'm on board with it. He has played a decent amount of games over the last couple of seasons which is encouraging.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

That's a very impressive stat mate and puts a whole new complexion on this signing. It suggests he has no fitness issues so, in terms of experience, ability and class, he is head and shoulders above what we already have.
Could be a perfect foil for the younger, faster Ajayi / Kipre.
Interesting

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

I know that's why I said he could offer cover at CB.

Hegazi needs a strong partner next to him which Ivanovic could offer but would prefer to see what Kipre can do.

Hegazi won't be in the team, he's never been good enough. His last game at Huddersfield was a disaster. Our decline last season coincided with his return from injury. Bilic correctly doesn't trust him. He won't be playing.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Hopefully he will be sold this window to raise more funds.

I'd expect it to be Bartley who leaves the club.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

Branislav Ivanovic
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2020, 02:56:22 PM »
I'd rather we sold Bartley he really isn't a good central defender, hardly ever heads the ball clear and his control is significantly worse than Hegazi

Bartley is a minor improvement on Stacey North, probably our worst ever central defender and that's being kind to Bartley
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:47:51 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Branislav Ivanovic
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2020, 03:15:30 PM »
Is this the board getting "creative" that we've heard above. Ivanovic in. Bartley or Hegazi out thus raising funds to get Grant or even using one as a makeweight.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:47:31 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

Branislav Ivanovic
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2020, 03:20:43 PM »
Is this the board getting "creative" that we've heard above. Ivanovic in. Bartley or Hegazi out thus raising funds to get Grant or even using one as a makeweight.

It seems entirely plausible.  It might even enable us to buy both Krov and Grant, rather than just one of them, especially if Zohore is also sold.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:47:13 PM by LiamTheBaggie »