Author Topic: Branislav Ivanovic signs for WBA  (Read 17429 times)

alex1

• Senior Baggie

Branislav Ivanovic signs for WBA
« on: September 09, 2020, 05:59:11 PM »
Being linked with Ivanovic the ex Chelsea player. Was a great defender and goalscorer - in his day!  He's 36. Interesting, but we now have other priorities.
https://www.westbromnews.co.uk/2020/09/09/west-brom-negotiate-deal-to-sign-available-player-with-250-pl-apps-journalist/
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 04:38:21 PM by MarkW »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

Branislav Ivanovic
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 09:07:16 PM »
The biggest problem is that we have a very weak goalkeeper and brittle back four. No experience / quality in our back five. Can we keep the opposition's chances down low enough to compete? For me we still look more like Norwich than Sheff Utd in terms of naive defending and as exciting as some of our midfielders are if we can't keep it tight at the other end then we are going to struggle big time. I'd have been more confident had we brought in a top class keeper.

Agreed. We conceded a goal a game on average last season. The keeper and defenders aren't going to improve IMO. Our spine is so weak. Johnstone,Bartley,Livermore, HRK/Austin. Sheffield Utd are a very solid and organised side but awful to watch. We are way too open.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:43:15 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

Being linked with Ivanovic the ex Chelsea player. Was a great defender and goalscorer - in his day!  He's 36. Interesting, but we now have other priorities.
https://www.westbromnews.co.uk/2020/09/09/west-brom-negotiate-deal-to-sign-available-player-with-250-pl-apps-journalist/

Think this might be ok. We're crying out for some experience at center-half next to Ajayi. Obviously wouldn't want to be tied down to a long contract with him but a year at us for the season may work.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

I’ve always been a big fan of Ivanovic and the Russian league is a decent standard so he could probably still do a job, but it is a bit weird that we would sign a right back when it’s a left back that we are crying out for. O’Shea and Furlong are decent right backs already.

Maybe Ivanovic gives O Shea the opportunity to play centre half, or maybe Bilic wants to consider 3 at the back, with Diangana as a left wing back?

That’s if this is true of course.
Boing Boing

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

I have got no problem with us signing a Ivanovic or somebody like that for a year or two.

Johnstone, Furlong, O'Shea, Ajayi, Kipre, Bartley and Townsend have little or no premier league experience, and there are doubts if some of those are good enough anyway, Hegazi only had one season and again there are doubts if he is good enough, Gibbs has played most of his career but there seem to be doubts about his future if reports are to be believed.

I am glad we are reducing the age of the squad, it bodes well for the future but you cant have a team of youngsters, you need a few experienced heads.

Even if we Sign Gallagher and Krovinovic to compete for centre midfield alongside Livermore and Sawyers, only Livermore has played in the premier league regular.

And infront of them Grady, Pereira and Edwards havent hardly any premier league experience, Grosicki does and should be ok, Phillips does but sadly there are real doubts if he is good enough, again another year older and the days he can be brilliant are getting less and less.

I think only Austin has a slight chance of being good enough purely because he gets a few goals, HRK will add little and ideally neither will be with us, and Zohore will hopefully be long gone.

Thats why i would be quite happy with Ivanoic and a Deeney, add a bit of experience and know how, help get us established for a year or two and get the others experience of playing premier league football before moving them on, of course we need another striker at the moment too, a quick and mobile one!

From my Chelsea long-term STH mate re Ivanovic when I mentioned we were apparently in for him:

“Really? He was slow when he left us, all his pace was gone and for such a hero and fan’s favourite it all finished a bit badly and everyone wanted him out the team. Shame because he was a legend. The only place he could play would be in a back 3 as one of the two markers with someone covering behind him”

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

From my Chelsea long-term STH mate re Ivanovic when I mentioned we were apparently in for him:

“Really? He was slow when he left us, all his pace was gone and for such a hero and fan’s favourite it all finished a bit badly and everyone wanted him out the team. Shame because he was a legend. The only place he could play would be in a back 3 as one of the two markers with someone covering behind him”

Remember this vaguely. He was awful in that last season. Would be an extremely poor signing.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

Remember this vaguely. He was awful in that last season. Would be an extremely poor signing.

He went on to add:

“As I say i personally wouldn’t let him go anywhere near a full back role, got to have cover round him. Hope Gallagher will get some time. West Brom is a place to go on loan— they do things the right way, he’ll learn a lot regardless“

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

this would be a disaster, we could likely have Zabaleta too
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

I cant imagine he would be being brought in to play right back though would he?

Especially with Furlong and O’Shea certainly worth a chance at right back, He would be a centre half.

Not necessarily him but an experienced quality centre half would be ideal and hopefully move Hegazi or Bartley on.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

I really rated Ivanovic when he was at his peak, both as a defender and scoring from corners, but when I read his pace has gone, its clear he's going to struggle.  Full backs but also centre backs need pace in the modern game. Otherwise we can't push as a team up the pitch.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

Surely there's no truth to these Ivanovic rumours. Simon Jones Is usually on the money when it comes to us though so who knows.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Surely there's no truth to these Ivanovic rumours. Simon Jones Is usually on the money when it comes to us though so who knows.

Could be, he's a free agent so only wages to worry about.
The fact that he's probably 2 years past his sell by date won't enter into the equation.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

The fact that he's probably 2 years past his sell by date won't enter into the equation.
Well it bloody should!!!
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

2 years? And the rest he was slow and useless at the end of his Chelsea career.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Percy confirms Ivanovic talks. Jesus wept Albion.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

John Percy Twitter Account

West Brom to continue talks with #cfc legend Branislav Ivanovic over a move to the Hawthorns. Ivanovic could sign for the season in the next 48 hours. Last played in the Premier League in December 2016 #wba

Not happy with this
My posts are my personal views and any links or external inclusions are not necessarily an endorsement by me.
I'm an ordinary bloke with no hidden agenda, here just to enjoy all things Albion etc.

It's all about opinions, so don't shoot the messenger if he/she has a different view to you!

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

fulham spend money as shown the previous 3 years under Khan, the keeper they have bought in on loan was on loan at Real Madrid last season from PSG.

we are working to a budget like we always will be

I was more referring to the fact that Fulham’s keeper They already had is more than useful
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Hmmm, not keen on the reports of him being way of the pace in his "senior" years. I suppose it could be deemed low risk if he is there to help guide the younger defenders but again, there will be far better options out there if you look abroad (i know Ivanovic is coming most recently from Zenit, but he jas been picked up due to his Chelsea days). Another Lugano?
Boing Boing

Pie

• Youth Baggie

Will be hard to tell what he will be like playing wise, but can't hurt to have someone with such a high level of expereince in the dressing room?

He's won premier leagues and a champs league - surely our other defenders could learn a lot from him.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

I'm on the fence regarding Ivanovic his legs went years ago and he wouldn't command big wages anymore. We also need some experience at the back. It stands a chance Furlong and OShea won't cut it in the prem. I'll support him as I do with every player who joins but I don't know how to feel

gazberg

• WBA Coach

The board strike again. We will never learn.

gazberg

• WBA Coach

Look at stats yes still playing fairly regularly for ZSP but what's the standard of the Russian league like? I've no interest in it.

SirTonyM

• Youth Baggie

I am not in favour of Ivanovic and when he left the prem he seemed shot. Lugano mark2?
The mad thing is he captained Zenit last year and played in all their champions league games...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 01:16:51 PM by SirTonyM »

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Playing central and done well for Zenit according to Russian tweeters do you knows. Might be ok CD cover and an experienced head in the dressing room.
Dexy : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill