Author Topic: Talksport  (Read 1728 times)

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

Talksport
« on: July 24, 2020, 09:24:15 AM »
Listened to talksport for the first time yesterday in a long time, total bias do  they hate us or is it just London centric, the lack of knowledge is criminal, we are a yo yo club, bottled it so Brentford should had gone up, tried talksport 2 now and it’s even worst same as the above along we were not entertaining just functional, no chance of staying up etc etc
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: Talksport
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 09:40:43 AM »
Serves you right for listening to that rubbish  ;)
Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 09:49:15 AM »
Serves you right for listening to that rubbish  ;)

Soon turned off
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 10:33:53 AM »
I dont think its just Talksport, i think most neutrals didnt want us to go up.

Any fans of premier league clubs will remember us going up, spending 8 years there and doing precisely nothing, for the last 3 years we were there we became a despised club because of our anti football. Fans, Media, etc felt about us how we felt about Stoke for many many years, there were no enjoyment for either club in those games.

There are a lot of clubs who have gone the premier league who have gone up and not doing anything league wise (its very tough, there are exceptions but your playing for a spot between 7th and 20th) A lot of those clubs eventually come down  but those clubs have done well in cups, or got into europe, it gives the media something to talk about, Even Stoke got a cup final and into europe despite the Pulis way.

Clubs like us, who did nothing, we become boring, Sunderland were the same, i think Bournemouth are the same, there seems to be a lot of people wanting them to go down because after a few years of pretty football, they have done nothing of interest.

There is a love in for the so called under performing big clubs - Villa, Leeds, West Ham, Newcastle, but we dont fall into that catergory, we are a famous old club but not sure anyone would called us a sleeping giant or that sort of nonsense.

The media wanted Leeds up for the reasons above and they wanted Brentford for the fairytale, unknown players, nice football, new ground, never been premier league before. Give it a couple of seasons and if they are just sat mid table, people will be bored of them and want them gone again.

We do still have this reputation from the Pulis days to the premier league which is where most of the media attention is, the amount of neutrals who still think we are long ball, boring, etc because once we dropped out they didnt see what happened next.

I have to say i am the same to an extent, i watch other leagues a bit but i couldnt tell you for example what style Ipswich Town play now, i remember them as being workmanlike and thats my last memory of them, for all i know now they could play like Man City!

I dont think the narrative will change about us until well into the season and that will depend how it pans out, i am quite looking forward to it because i think we will be positive under Bilic, we will get some thumpings but we will get some good wins too, time will tell if its enough but i think it will be entertaining and i may speak for a lot of fans here when i say, please have a proper go in the cups!

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 10:38:44 AM »
We're not a well-liked team. The media have been at best ambivalent towards us, but generally negative, since we sacked Clarke.

Let's be honest, we haven't done much in the last 20 years other than yo-yo, we're not that interesting to outsiders.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 10:42:38 AM »
Half of what talk sport spout is purely for reaction. The likes of Durham are masters at being the wind up merchant.

WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

EastYorksAlbion

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 01:26:51 PM »
Won’t listen to it other than commentary since Durham accused the club of racism.

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 01:39:17 PM »
Listened to Talksport the other morning and it was a Viler drivelathon following their win against a clearly cream crackered and underperforming Arsenal. You'd have thought they'd won the Prem', Champions League and FA Cup all rolled into one. Turned the radio off. Listened to them gobbling Brentford off for about five minutes early afternoon before again turning the radio off. Later in the afternoon it was a Jack Girlish drivelathon. I've no idea what their coverage of us has been like post promotion as I haven't tuned into them at any point since. I doubt I've missed anything though.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 01:41:20 PM »
Stoke are still recovering from the Pulis stigma so we have an awful long way to go before we win back hearts and minds. Bilic is good media though so hopefully can repair some of the damage.
I don't listen to Talksport, not so much because of their attitude towards us, more because it's innocuous bilge spouted by clueless ass-hats.

baggie82

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 01:41:29 PM »
The panel on the BT podcast were also very negative, if not apologetic. Basic view was no point in West Brom being in the premiership as we don't invest or try to win anything and don't produce any young talent. To be fair them / national media looking in they are getting flash backs to the terrible brand of football under Pulis which is their last memory of us in the premiership. They acknowledge that Slav is a breath of fresh air.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 01:46:35 PM »
The panel on the BT podcast were also very negative, if not apologetic. Basic view was no point in West Brom being in the premiership as we don't invest or try to win anything and don't produce any young talent. To be fair them / national media looking in they are getting flash backs to the terrible brand of football under Pulis which is their last memory of us in the premiership. They acknowledge that Slav is a breath of fresh air.

The part in bold pretty much applies to every single team in the division other than City and Liverpool.

A lot of this will be as a result of the Pulis years where we bored every one to tears.

Unfortunately that stigma will take some years to get rid of.

Talksport though will have to set out some guidelines of what is acceptable for a club to do/not do when in the premiership.

They also have that prat Jim White which is another reason not to listen to them.
Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 01:54:18 PM »
....... Jim White which is another reason not to listen to them.

I just refer to him as White Noise these days. Every time he opens his gob it's like a crackling static sewer overflow. Verbal incontinence personified, the Duke of Drivel.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 01:58:54 PM »
Is Jim White the same prat that Sky Sports wheel out to overhype transfer deadline day?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »

what , how many have we lost one just recently to palarce
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Atomic

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 02:49:46 PM »
I dont think its just Talksport, i think most neutrals didnt want us to go up.

Any fans of premier league clubs will remember us going up, spending 8 years there and doing precisely nothing, for the last 3 years we were there we became a despised club because of our anti football. Fans, Media, etc felt about us how we felt about Stoke for many many years, there were no enjoyment for either club in those games.

There are a lot of clubs who have gone the premier league who have gone up and not doing anything league wise (its very tough, there are exceptions but your playing for a spot between 7th and 20th) A lot of those clubs eventually come down  but those clubs have done well in cups, or got into europe, it gives the media something to talk about, Even Stoke got a cup final and into europe despite the Pulis way.

Clubs like us, who did nothing, we become boring, Sunderland were the same, i think Bournemouth are the same, there seems to be a lot of people wanting them to go down because after a few years of pretty football, they have done nothing of interest.

There is a love in for the so called under performing big clubs - Villa, Leeds, West Ham, Newcastle, but we dont fall into that catergory, we are a famous old club but not sure anyone would called us a sleeping giant or that sort of nonsense.

The media wanted Leeds up for the reasons above and they wanted Brentford for the fairytale, unknown players, nice football, new ground, never been premier league before. Give it a couple of seasons and if they are just sat mid table, people will be bored of them and want them gone again.

We do still have this reputation from the Pulis days to the premier league which is where most of the media attention is, the amount of neutrals who still think we are long ball, boring, etc because once we dropped out they didnt see what happened next.

I have to say i am the same to an extent, i watch other leagues a bit but i couldnt tell you for example what style Ipswich Town play now, i remember them as being workmanlike and thats my last memory of them, for all i know now they could play like Man City!

I dont think the narrative will change about us until well into the season and that will depend how it pans out, i am quite looking forward to it because i think we will be positive under Bilic, we will get some thumpings but we will get some good wins too, time will tell if its enough but i think it will be entertaining and i may speak for a lot of fans here when i say, please have a proper go in the cups!

This is pretty much bang on mate, excellent post.

We were referred to as a "sleeping giant" (nonsense term) in the days of Ardiles and around about but not now for a good while. Jeremy Peace and his "mid table Championship club" mentality don't help our cause either, all these things drip feed into the football public subconcious.

Albion have an image problem there's no doubt about that and it will hinder us. We need to start  addressing such issues but it's not an overnight fix. Stadium expansion is one issue that immediately springs to mind.

One thing we can say about Bilic is he is the right man to start to repair some of the Pulis damage. Bilic is well respected and pretty much loved within the game and from a PR perspective we couldn't have a better man as head coach. The owners are another matter.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 03:10:22 PM by Atomic »

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2020, 03:24:08 PM »
Not only a TalksSport thing. Fairly constant across podcasts and even the stations in Ireland. Agree with a lot of what Baggie79 said. They still view us as being the Pulis team that stunk up the League. As mentioned; Villa seem to be a love-in club. Could see it during all the play-off build-up.
I Can't understand why. Given they spent years just narrowly avoiding relegation as a big club; breaching Financial Fair Play to get out of the Championship; spend tons on below average players and since the restart their main plot is to win free-kicks and corners; from which in fairness they do prove quite threatening. They haven't been at all exciting from I have seen.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 06:43:34 PM »
As I said at the time, the damage Pulis did was not just results wise, he gave the club a very negative image nationwide.  It also took Stoke time to recover, although I don't know if Michael ONeill is helping. I'm actually optimistic that Billic can improve our overall reputation, especially if we put some good performances together, though I suppose we may have to accept that we become, "Slaven Billic's West Brom."
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

costa blanca baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 09:53:49 PM »
Not only a TalksSport thing. Fairly constant across podcasts and even the stations in Ireland. Agree with a lot of what Baggie79 said. They still view us as being the Pulis team that stunk up the League. As mentioned; Villa seem to be a love-in club. Could see it during all the play-off build-up.
I Can't understand why. Given they spent years just narrowly avoiding relegation as a big club; breaching Financial Fair Play to get out of the Championship; spend tons on below average players and since the restart their main plot is to win free-kicks and corners; from which in fairness they do prove quite threatening. They haven't been at all exciting from I have seen.
I can’t help but think the Royal connection is being sucked up to. I understand the purple and poo are worn by a number of clubs, but the military connection, and a certain member of the Royal family being keen on the vile, might be swaying media opinion on that most onerous of clubs. Just might opinion.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2020, 12:38:06 AM »
I can’t help but think the Royal connection is being sucked up to. I understand the purple and poo are worn by a number of clubs, but the military connection, and a certain member of the Royal family being keen on the vile, might be swaying media opinion on that most onerous of clubs. Just might opinion.

And Sky I think at half-time noting that Tom Cruise and a recent Prime Minister are keen fans of the Vile as well. Although I expect that former PM to be cheering on the "wrong" team on Sunday, as he seemed easily confused by other teams in Claret and Blue.

GREGMT

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2020, 10:15:46 AM »
This is pretty much bang on mate, excellent post.

We were referred to as a "sleeping giant" (nonsense term) in the days of Ardiles and around about but not now for a good while. Jeremy Peace and his "mid table Championship club" mentality don't help our cause either, all these things drip feed into the football public subconcious.

Albion have an image problem there's no doubt about that and it will hinder us. We need to start  addressing such issues but it's not an overnight fix. Stadium expansion is one issue that immediately springs to mind.

One thing we can say about Bilic is he is the right man to start to repair some of the Pulis damage. Bilic is well respected and pretty much loved within the game and from a PR perspective we couldn't have a better man as head coach. The owners are another matter.

I loved this post, you hit the nail on the head.  Albion do have an image problem.  We need a new West Stand and show the media we are a relatively big club.  How come the media love 11,000 capacity Bournemouth a lot more than us?

I'm not that bothered if we go down but we do need to play pure football as its the Albion way.  Do the media know the Dingles played brutal long ball trash in the 50s in the mud?

Most.pundits aren't very sharp when it comes to analysing football.

Atomic

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2020, 10:47:32 AM »
  How come the media love 11,000 capacity Bournemouth a lot more than us?

Because Bournemouth are still seen as relatively romantic, a small club that have beaten the odds.

Albion to the wider football world are very much a "meh" club.

ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2020, 11:20:12 AM »
I always call it Talks#1te.
As others have said, it's baiting - the only value it has is to get angry reactions to make an otherwise dull programme more entertaining. Just like most TV is these days - getting joe public to put on a show for free.

I don't worry about what others think of us, it can soon change. The papers couldn't get enough of us in the late 70s due to the appeal of the Three Degrees, Big Ron's flamboyance and a damn good publicity machine working for us at the club.

Image-wise, we are without doubt suffering from some terrible years of revolving door management and the effects of Pulisball. (As an aside I'm warming a little to Stoke since his effect seems to finally be fading there... that and the little favour they've done us.)

We've got a blank canvas come the new season. The neutrals are not expecting anything other than what they saw us do in the Prem in recent years. I think that's a very good place to be.

Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2020, 02:17:04 PM »
The media have not forgiven us for sacking big Darren either
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2020, 02:24:36 PM »
Agree with other posters, it is rubbish radio, just looking for an impact.  Best thing to do is just turn it off, and not listen.  Closer to home, I always feel WM seems to be biased against us.  Never gave us the credit we deserved when we were the only Midlands team in the premiership in my view.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2020, 02:25:24 PM »
Used to listen on and off not listened for months ,its total carp